Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Thank you for the pics! She seems to have fun, that's great! She's very fresh, and this squaw look suits her well. Lots of colours!

I'm sorry to be a spoil sport , but I think that Charlotte's outfit is in poor taste.Being Canadian perhaps I'm a little more sensitive about that type of thing but I don't think our aboriginal people would be very impressed.I'm sure she didn't do it to be insensitive but it is none the less.She is somewhat cartooning a culture.

marlene said:
I'm sorry to be a spoil sport , but I think that Charlotte's outfit is in poor taste.Being Canadian perhaps I'm a little more sensitive about that type of thing but I don't think our aboriginal people would be very impressed.I'm sure she didn't do it to be insensitive but it is none the less.She is somewhat cartooning a culture.

No I agree- it's culturally appropriative and in poor taste for her to dress in Native garb.

No I agree- it's culturally appropriative and in poor taste for her to dress in Native garb.

No it's not she is having fun she didn't mean it as an insult people have to lighten up seriously

You must be kidding. So, you can't dress-up as any thing you are not because that's cartooning? I guess, then, that Edwina was cartooning cow-boys culture? What's the difference? And Castaldi, was he cartooning italians? Or is it allright to dress as ancient europeans but it is wrong to dress as ancient americans? I really don't get the rules!

Oh, and beware don't dress as a zombie because then you'll be cartooning dead people! Oh, and I spot some man dressed as a bride! He is cartooning marriage! But the worst one is Rozier! He is dressed as a cave man! He is cartooning my ancestors! I am offended!!

Or are indians are the only ones who can be cartooned? Isn't that kind of racist? Cartooning white people is ok but cartooning indian people is wrong? Why exactly? And why is it wrong to cartoon something? Isn't that the purpose of funny deguisements?

Last edited:
See and I think it's a lot more noticeable than that, even to those with very little riding experience. I could be wrong though.

I didn't notice the stirrup until you mentioned it :ROFLMAO: and i thought the face was the standard 'preparing for a jump' face :flowers:
(i occasionally watch showjumping because i like sports in general, but am by no means a horse-connaisseur..)

trepstrep said:
You must be kidding. So, you can't dress-up as any thing you are not because that's cartooning? I guess, then, that Edwina was cartooning cow-boys culture? What's the difference? And Castaldi, was he cartooning italians? Or is it allright to dress as ancient europeans but it is wrong to dress as ancient americans? I really don't get the rules!

Oh, and beware don't dress as a zombie because then you'll be cartooning dead people! Oh, and I spot some man dressed as a bride! He is cartooning marriage! But the worst one is Rozier! He is dressed as a cave man! He is cartooning my ancestors! I am offended!!

Or are indians are the only ones who can be cartooned? Isn't that kind of racist? Cartooning white people is ok but cartooning indian people is wrong? Why exactly? And why is it wrong to cartoon something? Isn't that the purpose of funny deguisements?

The difference is that native Americans in this country have made a concerted effort over the last several years to educate people about why white people wearing the garb of their culture for fun on Halloween makes them feel marginalized. This isn't akin to dressing as a cowboy or a zombie- it's more akin to wearing blackface or dressing up as a Muslim. I don't want to jack the discussion too much, so I'll just say- it's worth your time to read some posts from natives about why their culture needs to be treated with more respect than that.

And I am sure she meant no harm by it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in poor taste.

VIDEO - Style and competition for Amade: Charlotte appears at 13'45.
It's a replay video from Equidiawatch: I don't think that it will be available a long time, watch it now!

EDIT: as an Anonymous noticed it on Pomeline's blog, there is an interview of Charlotte at 22'00.

Pics from today: Pomeline-Fizz ♣ Charlotte Casiraghi: Gucci Paris Masters 2012 - Jour 3 - Wire Image
I don't know for her clothes...
Her face looks a bit different on these pics, but I can't say why. There is something about her nose, maybe is it her make up. She looks more mature.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little bit culturally insensitive on Charlotte's part. Though I guess it's because she's French and just never learned the history of Native Indians. I didn't either until last year/

She does look cute though.

It's a given that Charlotte isn't intending to marginalize anyone. If anything you will more than likely give it to her that she is prestigious and not disrespecting as her creed. So I'd say cut her the slack and look at her as attractive as her eyes and physique show. She drew my attention and I thought maybe she is giving homage to the Native Americans and the passion of the horse. So beautiful a display and funny. :unicorn:

Though I guess it's because she's French and just never learned the history of Native Indians.
She does look cute though.

French are perfectly aware of what happened to Native Indians. We are told about it, we know the truth and we respect them. I doubt that Charlotte wanted to offense anybody.
During Carnival, french shops are full of Native Indians' costumes. Chidren love to wear it because all the stories they are told make them dream. I think that Charlotte's costume was more an hommage (an awkward hommage) than a lack of respect. After all Native Indians had a strong realtionship with nature and animals, especially horses.
I agree with you on the last point: she does look cute, and I also noticed that she had a lot of fun. She took pleasure for the first time after all her eliminations. That's great to see her enjoying a funny moment, and that's also great to see that thanks to her, AMADE has earned a lot of money that will be used to help children. Her bad choice of costume served a good action: we can easily forgive her.

http://www.purepeople.com/article/g...impose-son-style-les-stars-delirent_a111245/1
http://www.merdeka.com/foto/dunia/1...-ini-ikuti-kompetisi-berkuda-006-mudasir.html

Last edited:
Well. I'm Dutch and we never really dealt with the subject of the Native Indians, (except the obvious) let alone why it's not approriate to wear such a costume.
I don't think she meant it as insulting or maybe she was genuinly not aware but the costume in itself is already an insult. I hope she learns from this and dons a different costume next time.

Last edited:
I do not understand either. I'm Greek, and if someone wears an ancient greek costune, I do not feel offended at all. If we wear a Venitian costume do we offend Venitians? If we wear an ancien Rome, or Beduin costume, it is not with purpose to offend them, NOT at ALL.

IMO it's not just about clothing but about the culture/religion behind it, compare it too if people in a non-christian country would start to wear bright pink crucifixes as accessoires (complete with a christ-figure in lime-green and blood-red details).... i'm pretty sure there would be some comments from christians about that too...

IMO it's not just about clothing but about the culture/religion behind it, compare it too if people in a non-christian country would start to wear bright pink crucifixes as accessoires (complete with a christ-figure in lime-green and blood-red details).... i'm pretty sure there would be some comments from christians about that too...

You might be right. It is something we do not understand at all. Personally I do not feel offended if a non-christian wears a priest costume, but of course it is respectable.

I do not understand either. I'm Greek, and if someone wears an ancient greek costune, I do not feel offended at all. If we wear a Venitian costume do we offend Venitians? If we wear an ancien Rome, or Beduin costume, it is not with purpose to offend them, NOT at ALL.

Well, that's actually why it's not comparable. You're talking about someone dressing as an ancient Greek, which has little to no bearing on the current religious traditions in Greece.Not so with Native American costume. Many of the symbols- the feathered headdresses, the tribal warpaint- tend to still be important ceremonial symbols in current day Native tribes. Also, ancient Greeks weren't systematically killed or forced onto reservations where their ancestors remain today, unlike Native Americans.

Also, the costumes tend to be put together by people with very little knowledge of Native American customs, and so they mix up the symbols of the different tribes and go for a more generic Native look- blurring it all together and ignoring all the differences between the tribes.

It's complex, but I absolutely see the point of all the activists that have spoken out against this type of costuming.

Again, I'm not necessarily condemning Charlotte. I'm sure she was ignorant of this debate and meant no harm. It was still in poor taste though.

Native American designers fight cultural caricatures - CNN.com
The ancient Greeks were never an ethnic minority. Caucasians never are.
You don't go around painting your face black as a white person, that is wrong in every possible way. It promotes racism.

And you or she may not intend to insult nor offend, but it still is.

Many of the symbols- the feathered headdresses, the tribal warpaint- tend to still be important ceremonial symbols in current day Native tribes.

I understand, I never had a clue about, thanks a lot for pointing out. It is true that you can easily ofend people, without having absolutely not the pusopse on doing so.

Again, I'm not necessarily condemning Charlotte. I'm sure she was ignorant of this debate and meant no harm. It was still in poor taste though.
Sur that she was ignorant about. It us true that Indian cloth has been a very pereferred costume to wear for generations of childern and older people, who had never a clue of offending.

I've been a member of this site for a number of years now and have really enjoyed it . I just wanted to say to everyone how pleased I am that we can have a courteous and civilized discussion about difficult topics( in this case Charlotte's outfit) and we all learn something.We are able to share our knowledge of different things and in this case spread a newer understanding of the North American aboriginal culture.I'm really proud to be on a site with all of you !!!

^^ Thanks for the video! That's funny because for the final pictures, photographs called "Charlotte! Charlotte!" Because she wasn't in sight - and so did Edwina, but they were only interested by Charlotte. At the very end, when she was in sight with her horse, they asked her "a little sign" but she didn't dare looking at them, except a brief time. She looks very shy, which is something I respect, but as I said previously it sounds strange for a girl who chosed to be exposed in medias.
I also noticed it on pics but it was more obvious in the video: Charlotte rides completely hooked on the reins. It's not surprising that her horses refuse a lot to jump: each time they move, they receive a shock in the mouth. I'm very suprised by the way she behaves on a horse: the position of her body, the way she pulls the reins to stop her horse, she acts like a beginner. I thought that Charlotte hadn't the level to compete so high, but that she was an experienced and good amator. I'm puzzled.

I wanted to thank you NGalitzine for the link you posted. It's a very interesting article. I understand what people mean by talking about cartooning: it's clear that Charlotte's costume is just an enormous cliché. Here, in Europe, we are not used to consider it as pejorative: we have to learn. I think that this debate is a good thing.

Last edited:
Native American designers fight cultural caricatures - CNN.com
The ancient Greeks were never an ethnic minority. Caucasians never are.
You don't go around painting your face black as a white person, that is wrong in every possible way. It promotes racism.

And you or she may not intend to insult nor offend, but it still is.

One word... Sinterklaas...

As for offending. Wearing these costumes has a different meaning in Europe than they have in the US or Canada. It's unfair to treat all cultures the same or to expect everyone all over the planet what might be considered offensive halve way across the planet. And I doubt native American people in Canada or the US would loose a minutes sleep over this. Given that 80% of Americans (and perhaps Canadians) don't even know where Monaco is.

I know.. I'm not proud of that tradition but the young kids love it.

And no, dismissing it by saying that wearing such a costume over here in Europe is different is you saying it's okay. The Native Indians are not part of our culture but that doesn't make it okay to further belittle an ethnic minority.

well, the video is pretty tacky, lot of posh people playing dress-up: barbie and ken, cave-men and cowboy-and-indian...
Is this what the show-jumping audience likes to see? Or is this something specifically for the Gucci masters?

Back
Top Bottom