The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

The reason PA would want Charlotte to stay in France is because of the good publicity she brings for Monaco. Most of Monaco's tourists and residents are from Europe. I hope she does get to ride over here. I think she would enjoy it. Caroline never got to live over here like PA and PS did. I think for the same reason.

Today Charlotte came in 26/28 on CarrieDuffZ with 35 faults on grass, 1*, 1.35m. She did great on Madison D'Olgy coming in 3/24 with no faults on sand, 1* at 1.25m. She won $280. She definitely seems to do better on sand.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
The reason PA would want Charlotte to stay in France is because of the good publicity she brings for Monaco. Most of Monaco's tourists and residents are from Europe. I hope she does get to ride over here. I think she would enjoy it. Caroline never got to live over here like PA and PS did. I think for the same reason.

Today Charlotte came in 26/28 on CarrieDuffZ with 35 faults on grass, 1*, 1.35m. She did great on Madison D'Olgy coming in 3/24 with no faults on sand, 1* at 1.25m. She won $280. She definitely seems to do better on sand.
How do you support your statement: "Caroline never got to live over here like PA and PS did. I think for the same reason."? I have never read anything that ever suggested Caroline (or Charlotte) stayed in Monaco or Europe for "the same reason". I am not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to see some supporting material to what seem like random statements.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Serene Highness

It's speculation on my part. Monaco runs it's government like a business and PG, PC and Charlotte have given Monaco millions of dollars of free publicity. Companies would kill to have that kind of free exposure. If Charlotte were born ugly it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she inherited the glamour gene. Monaco's image is based on glamour. With PA marrying Charlene, maybe Charlotte will get a little more slack but I doubt it. Charlene seems nice but she doesn't have that elusive glamour like Charlotte. And the press still love PC, even though she is getting older. The Grimaldi women just have charisma. American Vogue talked about it in their September issue last year. The same in Hello's article this week on Charlotte's 25th birthday.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
It's speculation on my part. Monaco runs it's government like a business and PG, PC and Charlotte have given Monaco millions of dollars of free publicity. Companies would kill to have that kind of free exposure. If Charlotte were born ugly it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, she inherited the glamour gene. Monaco's image is based on glamour. With PA marrying Charlene, maybe Charlotte will get a little more slack but I doubt it. Charlene seems nice but she doesn't have that elusive glamour like Charlotte. And the press still love PC, even though she is getting older. The Grimaldi women just have charisma. American Vogue talked about it in their September issue last year. The same in Hello's article this week on Charlotte's 25th birthday.
w

Some of what you say is undeniably true (the Monaco women having charisma, the women, especially Caroline and Charlotte carrying in large part the burden of allure for Monaco), but from history, I've always seen Caroline making her own decisions, much to the parents' chagrin when she was young, and Stephanie was 'born to be wild", although she has shown tremendous dedication to Monaco. Caroline has dated a couple of Americans but never seemed attracted to Americans the way she has been to at least four or five Europeans, (and one South American). Stephanie dated and lived with Americans in Los Angeles. It was the road to perdition but she lived it up while it lasted. Rainier fetched her back not for the good of the principality but because he cared about his daughter's health. (I know that's an unsupported statement, but will anyone challenge it in view of his oft expressed and demonstrated values about family?) Charlotte seems to have a stable relationship with a non-American, living in France, London, and Monaco. I have never seen any interest in the U.S or Americans, except for the occasional shopping/dining in New York, so I doubt this has anything to do with Prince Albert's wishes. He may be a bit strange, but he doesn't live in the Middles Ages, and with two sisters with a will of iron, does he expect Charlotte to be intimidated by him or to put Monaco's future ahead of her own decisions about her life? Charlotte is nice, but she is no Charlene, who, in the eyes of many, seems to cross the line from nice to (ambitious?)doormat. I'd say Rozier is the wild card. Riding trainers are notorious for being demanding, and with the triangular bond developing, rider, trainer, and horse(s), he could be the one putting on the pressure. But that is speculation too, and not that convincing in my own eyes.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness

You could be right. Maybe Charlotte doesn't really have any interest in the US. I just think it would be nice for her to spend the fall or spring here being able to train without being in the spotlight and experiencing her American roots a little. Then again, if she came here, Americans might find out about her and make her more famous. I don't think she wants that.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Albert is the most Americanized of all of the Grimaldi, so I doubt he would have a real problem with Charlotte spending time training in the US, especially if the goal was to reach Olympic competition level. Its not as if Charlotte spends all her time in Monaco or plays much of an official role.
She could probably live quite privately in the US as most people would have no idea who she is or who she is related to. As long as she didnt choose a place filled with the paps like LA or NYC she could buckle down and train to her hearts content. Some place like Lexington, KY, might be good for her.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that "glamour" works both ways.
Monaco is proud of its links with the US, and vice versa.
Americans seem to love anything French, and the South of France is very anglicised.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep
I'm glad we can talk about this withouth arguing :-)
I am pleseantly surprised by the way her partnership with Troy has grown. She seemed to have more trouble with him at first. He is a stallion and probably more hot and temperamental. But they seem to understand each other quite well right now

Tintero strikes me as a a very classy and sensitive horse. The kind of horse who doesn't tolerate well mistakes and rarely makes a good partnership with an amateur rider.
She should sell him to Zara Phillips :) She's our royal equestrian without a star horse and Charlotte's our royal equestrian with too much horse for her to handle!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Serene Highness

Tintero is not an Eventer and is not of the same quality as Zara needs. He is a good horse but not a great horse.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Serene Highness

Charlotte did well on the first day at the Valkenswaard GCT. She finished 3/54 with no faults on Madison D'Olgy, 1*, 1.20m and won E140. She came in 9/44 with no faults on Troy at 1*, 1.35m and won E6o. Both were on grass but no rain this time.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Courtier

^Thank you for these news! I'm waiting for pics of Charlotte in her so classy Gucci riding outfits! I hope that we will see a few of them (or more!) of this GCT.

FanofMonaco, where do you find all these informations about Charlotte's results? She really did well, as you said, maybe because of the grass, or... of a harder preparation??

EDIT: if somebody is interested by Edwina Alexander, I found this australian article about her. There is pic of Edwina in her Gucci outfits. During the interview she confesses that it's a friend of her, Charlotte Casiraghi, who introduced her to Frida Giannini. I was sure that it was thanks to Charlotte that Edwina Alexander worked for Gucci too!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm clueless about horses or racing, and I find the description by FanOfMonaco an insider language I cannot understand :-))
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Serene Highness

I am not a rider but have learned by following the Global Champions Tour on the net and reading the FEI rules (equestrian federation). There are 5 levels of difficulty. 1 star is the easiest and 5 star is the pro and Olympic level. Charlotte rides in 1 and 2 star events so far. Her riding ability is amateur but technically I think she is considered pro because of the Gucci contract. You get 4 faults each time you knock a post off a fence and you can get time faults (ususlly 1 or 2 faults) if you take longer than the designated time. You also get 4 faults if your horse refuses a jump. If he refuses a second time or you fall off you are eliminated. If you don't finish a course by choice, you are 'retired'. eg. 1.20meters is the height of the tallest fence. I think the highest I have seen Charlotte jump is 1.40m. The pros jump up to 1.60m. The goal is zero faults and the fastest time.

You can watch video of Charlotte today by going to www.globalchampionstour.com. Click on results, then Valkenswaard, then Friday, 1.20 meters and 1.35 meters. Look for Charlotte's name and flag and then double click on the video button to the right.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Today Charlotte is only in 1 competition. She finished 19/50 with 4 faults at 1*, 1.25m on grass. It is wet grass so she should be happy with that finish. She was riding Madison D'Olgy.

Charlotte didn't ride on Sunday. It rained all nite Saturday and alot of people dropped out.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Courtier

Those are good results! But the GCT site does not show any videos or results from sunday. Weird.

On a different topic. In the Vogue interview she says that she owns 7 horses, 5 of which she rides on competitions. I think those are Tintero, Troy, Turbo, Carry and RockandRoll...
Madison is the one who isn't hers, isn't it?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
Those are good results! But the GCT site does not show any videos or results from sunday. Weird.

On a different topic. In the Vogue interview she says that she owns 7 horses, 5 of which she rides on competitions. I think those are Tintero, Troy, Turbo, Carry and RockandRoll...
Madison is the one who isn't hers, isn't it?
I found this on GCT website: a list of Charlotte's horses (engaged in GCT) with their owners' names. There is still GI Joe, so I think that it's an old list. But Madison is quoted as belonging to "S.A. La Martinière".

Other subject: did you know that Athina Onassis had a better rank than her husband in Valkenswaard? She finished 6th/45 at 1m60 and he finished 8th (link to the results here). I was happy for her, she starts having really good results now, thanks to a very hard work. I hope she'll keep on improving, to become a serious challenger!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness

I think Charlotte owns half of her horses and leases the other half. It's hard to tell though, because the owner's names of her horses keeps shifting.

This is Athina's first year at 5* level and she is doing great. I think she has beaten Doda twice. She is much, much slower than him, though. She tries to be accurate and is willing to take time faults while everyone else is trying to win. This strategy has worked well for her.

Charlotte did not ride on Sunday. It rained all nite Saturday and many of the amateurs did not compete on Sunday. Did you see Edwina in the
gct jump off on Saturday? Her horse got stuck in the mud and Edwina defied gravity just to stay on her horse. She even finished the course! Video is on the GCT website.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Did you see Edwina in the
gct jump off on Saturday? Her horse got stuck in the mud and Edwina defied gravity just to stay on her horse. She even finished the course! Video is on the GCT website.
Yes I saw this, I was very impressed by the way she managed to avoid a big fall!! She was very calm, and she finished very well the course. Bravo Edwina!!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Does anyone know if Charlotte will be competing in Rio de Janeiro??
Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

Don't know, but she has the past 2 years and is good friends with Athena Onassis.