Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the circuits that Charlotte is riding, what is the average number of horses that riders own? Is it usual for riders to change horses often? How often does a rider purchase new horses? The rider has to build up a relationship with the horse so how long does that take?

Last edited by a moderator:

The thread has been cleaned up from off-topic discussions and arguments! Please remember to stay respectful towards
each other and to use the private message method for personal discussions instead! This is a thread about Charlotte's equestrain career, but as stated in an earlier mod post this is not a place for general equestrian themes and questions!
Thanks for your understanding!

In the circuits that Charlotte is riding, what is the average number of horses that riders own? Is it usual for riders to change horses often? How often does a rider purchase new horses? The rider has to build up a relationship with the horse so how long does that take?
In the international dressage circuit, it's an unicum if the horse is actually owned by the rider. Most of the time they're owned by sponsors, a breeding stable or wealthy owners. Parzival, Adelinde Cornelissen's horse is partially owned by her, out of fear her best horse would be sold. Because that's the big risk of not owning them yourself. It happened to Edward Gal's best horses. So yeah, if the horse doesn't meet the expectations, sold or injury, riders can switch up more often. But that's usually due to bad luck. When horse and rider are right, they usually compete until the horse is unfit to do so anymore. Or too old.
And do remember riders have a whole lot of young horses for training at home, ready to take them out to competitions.

And it depends on the horse and rider, really. The chemistry is important. A bond will form the longer you ride together.

I think that at Charlotte's level, a stable of 7 horses is too much. She doesn't have the time to ride 7 horses, to prepare each of them for competitions. That seems crazy! 2 horses would be enough for her, it would allow her to know them better, to improve with them.

I have never ridden, nor do I know anything about it, but I have a question. If Charlotte was going to retrain, How long would it take?

I have never ridden, nor do I know anything about it, but I have a question. If Charlotte was going to retrain, How long would it take?

There is no way to know. Maybe, with a new trainer she would suddenly "discover" what she's been doing wrong and she would improve in six months... maybe she simply has no talent for the sport and she will never be a good rider. It's very difficult to say.

This is only my opinion, and of course I could be wrong, but she doesn't seem to be specially talented. Even if Thierry is misguiding her, she has 1st level riders like Edwina helping her and she owns very good horses. It would had shown somehow.

A new trainer could help her put things into perspective and make some improvements. With time and good horses she could maybe get good results at 1.30/1.35 competitions. But she certainly isn't a natural, I don't think any trainer could take her to the FEI top level.

Last edited:
This is evidence unpleasant for many people, but the mares are the ones that take the top prize, not only in show jumping, as well as in dressage.
I do not need to prove anything, just take a look to the official of both shows to see the truth. say that the horses (males) are the best, is of the utmost stupidity, and ignorance of the world sport horse.

Against the good results of the mares, no one even a manic depressive can´t win ...

I agree, it should sell the horse Troy (male), and buy mares with 5-7 years, to advance in the ranking FEI, and about the coach, I think she most should keep, it is excellent. And it has already proved that ... he wins contests, and win competitions, it is because he knows much more than the others riders :)

Last edited:
That's so unbelievably silly. She has seven horses, she doesn't need more, and mares can get really difficult at times.

That's so unbelievably silly. She has seven horses, she doesn't need more, and mares can get really difficult at times.

I dont see the problem to have 7 horses, if she is training regular, and have another personel training that horses to, well ... I dont see the inconvenience. (we have rider in germany with 40 horses)
About the mares (again) since they created drugs to suppress the heat of its own nature, I see no reason to marginalization.

They are most better to ride, that a horse with is TWO ZEROS :)

They are crazy (males) practically all the time, and very dificult to ride for a Amazon inexperienced as she ... Charlotte Casiraghi. :lol:
Dont you think HRH ?

1. You can't use drugs in sports mares: it's called doping

2. Mares can be difficult even when they are not in heat. They are whole animals (not castrated) and can be capricious and very dificult and they are always sensitive.

3. No, all stallions aren't mad. Usually a gelding is easier but not always. Many stallions have calm nice tempers, and are easy to ride. It also a matter of personal preference but saying that the are all mad is utter nonsense.

4. Charlotte is not a profesional. She owns more horses that she can manage and get to know properly.

5. We only can speak from pictures and videos, but she doesn't seem to be a very delicate rider and she has hard hands. A sensitive mare would be a bad choice for her.

6. Don't make things up about the FEI statistics. The rankings aren't dominated by mares.

Well, my answer would have been the same as trepstep's. I personally would rather ride a gelding most of the time. And I think that blaming the horses for Charlotte's problems is shortsighted- she already had fantastic horses, she just doesn't have the ability to ride them correctly. Buying new horses certainly won't help

I think she just doesn't practice enough. She's trying to ride seveal hours but in 2-3 days. She needs to practice 5 days a week. She also always seems to be off somewhere else the week before she has a competition.

She's definitely not focused enough. I can see that and I don't know anything about the equestrian sport. If she's off in New York hanging out with Gad or busy vacationing, I doubt she has time to get a quick practice with her horse in. But maybe she doesn't feel like she has to be good or take it that seriously. She's just a figurehead basically. A face.

I doubt she has time to get a quick practice with her horse in. But maybe she doesn't feel like she has to be good or take it that seriously.

That attitude is a recipe for getting injured.

It seams that this relation is serious...I wonder what Carline thinks of this...It's nice to see him support her equestrian carrer:flowers:

My feelings on this relationship...it may go somewhere permanent:ohmy:, and I think Caroline will be happy whatever her eldest daughter wants:), all I hope is that Charlotte is happy....and I think what ever makes Charlotte happy...will make her Mum happy!!:flowers:

Last edited:
debrann said:
My feelings on this relationship...it may go somewhere permanent:ohmy:, and I think Caroline will be happy whatever her eldest daughter wants:), all I hope is that Charlotte is happy....and I think what ever makes Charlotte happy...will make her Mum happy!!:flowers:

It seems that Gad is good with Charlotte and this should make Caroline happy. But talking for marriage and kids, i think it is too early. There are huge differences between them. On the other hand, love and mutual respect, can erase all difference.
P.S. I HATE this hat Gad is constantly wearing.

we don't even have to speculate and hurry about the relationship! there have been similar speculations about Alex and Charlotte, but then they broke up, kaputt!!!

Do we know any upcoming competition?

Last edited:
I hate the hat he is constantly wearing! Is is not of his age.
Is it to appear younger because he dates a 15 y younger girl?

People of all ages wear baseball caps in the US. He lived in Canada for awhile. They probably do the same. In fact, he dresses alot like an American. Baseball cap, hoodie, jeans and sneakers.

Baseball caps do not come with age limitations, they are worn from age 1 to age 100.

Maybe. But it's rare to see someone with a baseball cap in europe. The only people who wear them are usually 15 year old kids with rapper looks wanting to look dangerous or inmigrants from southamerica.
It's weird to see a 41 old man with a cap like that outside Eurodisney.

Maybe. But it's rare to see someone with a baseball cap in europe. The only people who wear them are usually 15 year old kids with rapper looks wanting to look dangerous or inmigrants from southamerica.
It's weird to see a 41 old man with a cap like that outside Eurodisney.

EXACTLY!!!

And is more weird that this guy is not in his garden on Sunday cleaning his car!

Well, it's not weird in the states, so maybe he was just trying to blend in. Not that it worked, the paparazzi obviously saw him anyway.

Time to get back to the topic of this thread - thanks!

Just as a point of reference, many equestrians wear a baseball cap after removing their helmet. After you have sweated under the helmet, until you get home to get a shower, the baseball cap is my friend. The same thing is true of football and hockey players. Helmet hair is not a good look.

This week is taking place the Valencia GCT leg. Till now, Charlotte has always been there but the local press writes that her presense has not been confirmed yet:
La rica heredera Athina Onassis aporta el glamur a la cita de Oliva. Las Provincias

She still doesn't appear on the GCT list of riders and horses but it could very well be that only 1st rank (5 stars) riders appear on the list.

On the other hand this has been a difficult year for the Valencia GCT. The public instutions have retired their economic support to the event and it won't take place anymore in the magnificent setting of the Oceanic Museum in central Valencia.
The Valencia regional goverment has spent a lot of money unwisely these past years, and now in the mist of the economic crisis, they won't give money anymore to this kind of flashy and expensive things.

The competition has been transfered to a much more discreet location, an equestrian facility in the town of Oliva, 80 km from the town of Valencia.

Let's hope the invitational lower level competions will still take place and Charlotte will be there.

Edit: there will be a 2* jumping: http://www.oxersport.com/files/SportProgram-CSI5GCT-GranPremiodeEspaa2012-V10.pdf
Still some chances to see Charlotte there.
The magazine has a pic of Charlotte I had not seen before. Page 10:
http://www.oxersport.com/files/revista_valencia_20120.pdf

Last edited:
Just as a point of reference, many equestrians wear a baseball cap after removing their helmet. After you have sweated under the helmet, until you get home to get a shower, the baseball cap is my friend. The same thing is true of football and hockey players. Helmet hair is not a good look.

GUILTY, too - totally agree!!!! It's not stylish, but it's functional......:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom