Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Charlotte just didn't have any time to practice this week because of the Gucci announcement. Thierry has been riding several of her horses and doing well in the 2* category. Does she have a new horse? I wonder why. She already has 7 horses.

I think that the only chance we have to see Charlotte in London is if she comes to give medals to winners. And I don't event know if she would be asked to do this: the BRF has so much people able to do that, I'm quite sure that as the equestrian competition is concerned it is the Royal Princess who will do this. So no, actually we have no chance to see her in London. And do we know if she wants it? It's only a rumour. When I saw the pics of her last competition I really think that she wouldn't feel like going to the O.G.

I think that you have to be member of the IOC to give medals. Or to be an official of the organizing country. Charlotte does not belong to any of the 2 categories.

Pierre has accompanied Charlotte to a training again, here are some pics from yesterday, March 11, taken in Nice:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Thanks, iceflower.
Only, the pics are not from a training but from the 2nd weekend of the Nice jumping.

Yesterday, Charlotte results were even more distrastrous than last week.

Friday she rode two horses, Costa Virgio in the 1.20 and Rubins in 1.30 and she abandoned mid-course with them (meaning that she stopped the horses and decided not to complete the parcours, because she was taking too many points or had difficulties controlling them).
http://www.horse-timing.com/web/Chrono/data/nice12/week2/r_8_nice12_w2.pdf
http://www.horse-timing.com/web/Chrono/data/nice12/week2/r_10_nice12_w2.pdf

Saturday, she was eliminate again with Troy in the 1.30
http://www.horse-timing.com/web/Chrono/data/nice12/week2/r_17_nice12_w2.pdf

and she abandoned again mid-parcours with Costa Virgio in the 1.20 (which is kind of surprising because usually when she rides a new horse who's been prepared by someone else she always gets good results until the horse gets tired of her).
http://www.horse-timing.com/web/Chrono/data/nice12/week2/r_15_nice12_w2.pdf

Thierry rode Madison in the 1.25 and came in 3rd with 0 points.

Sunday, she was eliminated twice in the 1.25, with Troy and Rubins
http://www.horse-timing.com/web/Chrono/data/nice12/week2/r_23_nice12_w2.pdf

and she didn't even attempt to ride Costa Virgio
http://www.horse-timing.com/web/Chrono/data/nice12/week2/r_22_nice12_w2.pdf

Frankly, this is beyond ridiculous.
She wasn't able to finish a single course. I don't know how she even finds the courage to keep appearing in CSI competitions without dying of embarrasement.

She must do something quick because I'm sure that she's become a big joke around the CSI circuit.

Quit Thierry and learn to ride, girl!

We knew she wouldn't do well this week-end because she was in Paris all week doing her Gucci thing. Maybe she is just looking at this week-end as practice.

Its a good thing she is rich and has her own horses, because based on her results/talent no one else would hire her to ride their horses in competition.

We knew she wouldn't do well this week-end because she was in Paris all week doing her Gucci thing. Maybe she is just looking at this week-end as practice.

That's no excuse. In this kind of competition the riders always make their horses rest between the 2 weekends of competition.
To make them jump between two 3 days competions would be abusive.

So, even if Charlotte had stayed in Nice she probably wouldn't have jumped her horses those 3 days she spent in Paris.

Gucci is paying her to ride. That may be one of the reasons she is riding even though she isn't doing well. It's advertising for Gucci. Gucci and the GCT don't care how well she rides. They just want the publicity. Same for the Nice competition. The top riders can't pull in the free publicity that Charlotte can. They may have had Pierre show up for the same reason.

I see your point TrepStep. Not riding regularly does affect Charlotte. She has said so herself. She has cut way back on the competitions she is riding. I think she rides now mainly to help publicize events.

Last edited:
Gucci is paying her to ride. That may be one of the reasons she is riding even though she isn't doing well. It's advertising for Gucci. Gucci and the GCT don't care how well she rides. They just want the publicity. Same for the Nice competition. The top riders can't pull in the free publicity that Charlotte can. They may have had Pierre show up for the same reason.
Must be rather embaressing for her. To know you are only at an event to look good in clothes, but that as a rider you are on your way to becoming sort of a joke (rather like Eddie The Eagle was in ski jumping) in your sport due your lack of ability to deliver results or even show signs of improvement.

I don't think money is the reason she keeps riding. Yuo you can't ride just because you are payed to do it...

It's a dangerous sport and it requires a lot of calm and confidence in yourself. It's not something you can do with half your heart. Either you are 100% with your horse of you don't do it.

I'm convinced that she genuinely loves the sport.
She's never had a good technique but a couple of years ago she was full of hopes and big dreams, and she trusted herself and her new horses trusted her and everything was new...

It just looks as if she's lost faith. She's broken several good horses, her results don't improve, she's probably realized that her wild dreams of are not going to be, her horses don't trust her...
In short , she is learning that becoming a top rider wasn't a given just because she had money and contacts.

I'm really expectant to see what her next move will be. I mean, she can't go on like this much longer! It will be interesting to see what kind of decission she makes.

Last edited:
Gucci is paying her to ride. That may be one of the reasons she is riding even though she isn't doing well. It's advertising for Gucci. Gucci and the GCT don't care how well she rides. They just want the publicity.

But it's a bad publicity. I don't understand the strategy in paying a very bad rider to promote your brand. I understand why Gucci chose Edwina Alexander, but not Charlotte. I know that she's beautiful, famous, etc, we already talked about that. It can interest Gucci but GCT? She never wins anything, she is always eliminated, I know that people on the GCT laugh at her (and in the whole equestrian world it is the same) so what does she promote?
In this post I don't want to create a new debate, I just ask an explaination, because I really don't understand the situation. :flowers:

I'm really expectant to see what her next move will be. I mean, she can't go on like this much longer! It will be interesting to see what kind of decission she makes.

I think that we have been saying this for a little while now, but we saw nothing happening. I'm like you: I hope and I hope, but I think that nothing is going to happen. I'm convinced that she'll go on like this until the moment she'll stop, which is a pity because she seems to love horse riding.

However, I think that Charlotte is really stunning on these pics of Nice jumping! This shape of sunglasses suits her very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so nice that Pierre came to support her! And i noticed he wears suit, apparently he comes from work.
As regards Gucci paying a bad rider, yes but this bad rider is beautiful, an IT girl, daughter and grandaughter of two icons! I think that this is stronger for Gucci than to gain races! Of course they would prefer her gaining but we can not have all! Charlotte has an unique combination of all! There is nobody else in the word! Princess Haya, Infanta Elena and Zara Philips have similar profiles, but thy are by far much less beautiful!
Do not forget Anna Kournikova. She gained millions in modelling... and never won a match!

Thanks, iceflower.
Only, the pics are not from a training but from the 2nd weekend of the Nice jumping.

Thank you for correcting that, trepstep! The Italian caption wasn't that abundant with information, so I've made a training out if it ;)

It is so nice that Pierre came to support her! And i noticed he wears suit, apparently he comes from work.
As regards Gucci paying a bad rider, yes but this bad rider is beautiful, an IT girl, daughter and grandaughter of two icons! I think that this is stronger for Gucci than to gain races! Of course they would prefer her gaining but we can not have all! Charlotte has an unique combination of all! There is nobody else in the word! Princess Haya, Infanta Elena and Zara Philips have similar profiles, but thy are by far much less beautiful!
Do not forget Anna Kournikova. She gained millions in modelling... and never won a match!

I get the Anna Kournikova reference but she at least made it to #8 in the World rankings in womens singles and twice won the Australian Open Doubles championship so she did have a bit more going for herself than her beauty in terms of sporting success.

Gucci would like it better if Charlotte was a champion, certainly, but I don't think they care much about it.
As FanofMonaco says they are paying for a pretty face, the names of a mother and grandmother and the glamour factor of Monaco. The equestrian thing is a fortunate coincidence but not their main interest in Charlotte.

Also, the general public buys the idea of Charlotte the talented equestrian sold by the glossy magazines (because the magazines themselves have no idea and they think that Charlotte is a good rider) so, it doesn't matter that it is all a fiction and she is actually just a low level amateur rider.

In any case I don't think that they are the reason why she rides. I believe that she sincerely wants to be a rider independently of her Gucci contract.

Pierre has accompanied Charlotte to a training again, here are some pics from yesterday, March 11, taken in Nice:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Nice Pictures , Princess Charlotte She Looks Nice I always Like Her in Equestrian Outfit Looks Very Suitable On Her , Prince Pierre Looks Nice Too :flowers: Thanx iceflower :flowers:

I agree with TrepStep that Charlotte loves the sport whether she does well or not.

Gucci has sold lots of custom riding boots because of Charlotte in addition to fashion. Edwina may be the best woman rider but she only got the Gucci job because of Charlotte. Edwina said so herself in an interview.

Interest in the GCT and showjumping in general have increased since Charlotte began riding again in 2009. She is a publicity magnet. I also believe she is an investor in the GCT and maybe the Pessoa competitions. The fact that the GCT is growing during a global recession should tell you something. Her family knows how to cater to the high-end market. She said in her first French TV interview that she was riding with the GCT to help promote it. I doubt the top riders are making fun of her. Their paychecks are going up because of her.

Who do think is financing the GCT? It's' people like PC, Charlotte, Athina Onassis, Marta Ortega and Edward de Rothschild. Athina is the only pro in the bunch.

Last edited:
I agree with TrepStep that Charlotte loves the sport whether she does well or not.

Gucci has sold lots of custom riding boots because of Charlotte in addition to fashion. Edwina may be the best woman rider but she only got the Gucci job because of Charlotte. Edwina said so herself in an interview.

Interest in the GCT and showjumping in general have increased since Charlotte began riding again in 2009. She is a publicity magnet. I also believe she is an investor in the GCT and maybe the Pessoa competitions. The fact that the GCT is growing during a global recession should tell you something. Her family knows how to cater to the high-end market. She said in her first French TV interview that she was riding with the GCT to help promote it. I doubt the top riders are making fun of her. Their paychecks are going up because of her.

Who do think is financing the GCT? It's' people like PC, Charlotte, Athina Onassis, Marta Ortega and Edward de Rothschild. Athina is the only pro in the bunch.

Not exactly, the interviewer commented that she would be a wonderful ambassador to riding sport and she replied that if she can help to promote the riding sport by participing in GCT, she would be pleased so she didn't say that she wanted to promote GCT but the riding sport.

Charlotte is doing both, but she has ridden mostly with the GCT and is very cozy with the Tops.

I half agree, half desagree with you FanofOmanco.

I Charlotte loves the sport whether she does well or not.
I'd say that she loves the sport independently of her Gucci contract. She first returned to showjumping and then came the Gucci contract.

But showjumping is a sport that you can't keep on practising if you don't do well (I don't mean riding high level but simply fiinishing you parcours, whatever the height without minor incidents).
First because it's dangerous and you get scared and suffer.
And second because it's not like a other sports. You can suck at football, tennis or voleyball and still have fun at it playing with your friends and entering competitions appropiate to your level. You will never be ridiculous because you will be among your peers with no public.

Sadly, showjumping allows you to enter public competitions you are nor ready for. And you are on your own, in the middle of a track, with megaphony shouting your name and the public looking at you (even more if your name is charlotte casiraghi).
Performing so poorly once and again in front of everybody with all eyes on you it's a harsh experience. You can't enjoy that even if you love horses.

Gucci has sold lots of custom riding boots because of Charlotte in addition to fashion.
I don't think so. I believe that the Gucci riding boots are designed exclusively for Charlotte and Edwina. That's their value. They are something exceptional nobody but them can wear, increasing the appetite of everybody else to own something Gucci.

Also, Gucci is not in the business of riding gear and clothes. They do it for Charlotte, as brand image, but they don't want to make a business of it.

All pros and most serious amateur riders own custom made boots (they are a necessity because don't fit like normal street boots), but the Gucci boots are only for Charlotte and Edwina.

Edwina may be the best woman rider but she only got the Gucci job because of Charlotte. Edwina said so herself in an interview.
I agree 100%. Riders are not famous like football players, tennis players, F-1 drivers, etc... They aren't worth investing on them this way. Unless you are Charlotte's partner.

I also believe she is an investor in the GCT
I think you hit a clue here and I totally agree with you. She has money and she follows the tour so closely. Even before her Gucci contract. I'm quite certain that she is an investor aswell.

I doubt the top riders are making fun of her. Their paychecks are going up because of her.

Oh, but THEY ARE! They were already doing it last year when she was still getting half decent results (I remember some really hurtful conversations with riders and journalists after the Valencia GCT days), so I can only imagine what's happening this year.

And the fact that she is spending a lot of money on showjumping only enances the hilarity factor!! That's the way the horse people' heads work!

There is nothing that riders love better that to laugh at little rich heiress who can't ride but have all the money in the world to buy good horses and ti crack them one after the other. They even celebrate with laughs when someone makes them buy a new horse or when they are ripped off by their trainers! (something very very usual, it's not just Thierry)

Also, the fact that she is being laughed at has nothing to be with her being a pro or an amateur.

Athina and Marta have never been laughed at that way as far as I know. From what I heard Athina is always been considered someone who doesn't bother the horse, doesn't detract from him. She is not a first rank rider but she doesn't waste her money. She buys the most appropiate horse she can find, she pays for it and she rides it correctly.

Marta has never been laughed at because she is also a correct rider who doesn't pretend to be something she is not and she has invested her money wisely. She always stated that she was just an amateur and she always did correctly in the competitions she entered.
Her father built a high class showjumping center in their town but the brought brilliant riders like Michel Robert to it. Now, she may invest in her husband horses, but Sergio Álvarez Moya is a very good rider.

Now, I can tell you that the Infanta Elena is generaly laughed at!! A lot! Her career is not as surreal as Charlotte's one because at least she stays mainly at home and doesn't go riding CSI around the world, but she has no talent whatsoever.
Also, she usually doesn't warm-up her horses herself. She has an instructor who does all the job at leaves the horse ready for her just to jump on it, and finish the course.
But even so she is less laughed at than Charlotte because neither her or her trainer were never caught telling the press that they wanted to be pros or go to the olympics and she doesn't waste money like a fool. She pays good horses who are right for her and that's it.

Now, Charlotte:

• She made the mistake of letting her trainer say that she was going to the Olympics and didn't correct him (at least she could have said: it would be nice but I know it would be very very difficult and they are so many other talented riders, bla bla bla).

• She spends a lot of money and buys a lot of horses that don't suit her (laughing factor number one among the equestrians).

• She has the worst results ever. Eliminations are often a laughing matter if the rider is not your friend (and she is rich).

• Oh, and I forgot! The Gucci clothes!! There is an unwritten rule among showjumpers. If you are not a little kid, you don't overdress unless you are riding high level or you know you are going to have good results. Showjumping aficionados can be mean! When you are not sure of your capacities or you are jumping in the lower divisions you usually wear discreet riding gear because you don't want people to say "who does she think she is? She is riding a 1.10!" or if you are not sure you are going to do well you don't want to know people are thinking: "ha, ha, ha, she dressed up for that". And you don't wear red if you are jumping lower than 1'20!
Now, Charlotte is wearing exclusively designed Gucci clothes and horse gear! She even was in red a few month ago when she was repetedly eliminated with Tintero in a 1.10!
Oh, GOd how I would wish to be dressed in a current brand during those moments if I was her!

Please, understand, I am not saying that it is bad for Gucci. 99'99% of people in the world don't know this and they will want to buy Gucci clothes because they look so good on Charlotte Casiraghi when she is riding.
But I am sure the fact that she is dressed by them only increases the laughs of the mean fellow riders.

Last edited:
I loved reading your post Trepstep. You evoked something that shows that you have experienced the horse riding world: riders are very, very cruel. That's something you can't learn by only watching videos of jumpings on the web. I have been riding since my childhood and believe me, all that Trepstep said is true.

That's why I said that Charlotte was laughed at a lot, and Trepstep explained why very well.

I also noticed that Charlotte wore a red jacket a few time ago: I talked about it on the forum, and someone said that was just because it was the colour of her country. I didn't go on because I didn't want to create a new argument, but I'm happy that Trepstep noticed it too. Red jackets are traditionally wore by international riders. Red is a colour deserved for these people. Now things are changing, and red is not wore any more (or not a lot), because of its symbolic. When I saw Charlotte with red I have to recognize that I laughed. Was it a misunderstood? A pretentious act? I don't know, actually I don't think so. Maybe it was a proof of a bad knowledge of equestrian rules, and in that case that was Gucci's fault.

Other thing: I think, like you, that Charlotte gives money to GCT. Hasn't she been named "patronnness" of the Monte Carlo jumping?

However, when I read that Charlotte promotes Gucci or GCT I still don't understand: I ride, and in my "club" nobody knows her. People know and admire a lot P. Leprevot, K.Staut, M.Robert... But not Charlotte. So, maybe she promotes this sport for wealthy people evolving in her social background? If that's the case, I don't think that's a good thing: in the last decades, people worked a lot to destroy the image of horse riding = sport reserved for wealthy people only.
According to me, promoting horse riding as a glamour sport practicised in Gucci, in a competition which costs millions is not exactly what horse riding needs. That's just an opinion from someone who loves horse riding and who particises it frequently.

Last edited:
Isn't a poor rider at risk for serious injury?

I love watching the siblings having time together and encouraging one another!

I know that horseriding can be very snobby, but I still think that Charlotte will have the last laugh. She will make lots of money from Gucci and the GCT. Her family is laughed at alot but they always seem to come out on top. She knows how to get publicity and attract sponsors. She may never be a top rider but she is already becoming an excellant businessperson. She is not afraid of shaking things up. Also the more paychecks go up, the more democratic the sport will be. She is a leader while the others are content with the static quo.

I know that horseriding can be very snobby, but I still think that Charlotte will have the last laugh. She will make lots of money from Gucci and the GCT. Her family is laughed at alot but they always seem to come out on top. She knows how to get publicity and attract sponsors. She may never be a top rider but she is already becoming an excellant businessperson. She is not afraid of shaking things up. Also the more paychecks go up, the more democratic the sport will be. She is a leader while the others are content with the static quo.
But she wants to be a toprider not a businessperson. Where is the success if you don't reach the point where you want to be? She'll be richer than she is now but what for? Will she fulfil her dreams? Will she be more happy? I don't think so. And how can she be a leader when she is not even capable to work seriously for what she wants to be? I tend to believe that the others are the leaders because they want something and they work seriously and fight for it. No matter if they attract sponsors or not, they will have what they want (be riders not businessperson) when Charlotte won't. This is what success is about ;)

Back
Top Bottom