The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I don't know if this is turning in the air or jumping at tight angles but the first rider in this videio is cutting really tight turns. She won the 1 star competition that Charlotte was in at the Gucci Masters.

YouTube - ‪GUCCI MASTERS 2010 - CSI 1* / Gucci Masters‬‏

I don't know how to download this. The title on You Tube is : Gucci Masters-CSI 1*/Gucci Masters
Thanks for the video, fanofmonaco, but there is a big difference between what this girl and Charlotte do.
This girl rides the way you should ride to win a jump-off. She turns her head and a little bit her body over the next jump and by doing so, the horse instinctively knows where he has to go to, and bends over the next jump. But he is not forcefully bent in a mechanical way, he's just receiving indications about where to go next.
Charlotte forces her horse to bend while on the air by pulling on the reins!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep

Thanks for the video, fanofmonaco, but there is a big difference between what this girl and Charlotte do.
This girl rides the way you should ride to win a jump-off. She turns her head and a little bit her body over the next jump and by doing so, the horse instinctively knows where he has to go to, and bends over the next jump. But he is not forcefully bent in a mechanical way, he's just receiving indications about where to go next.
Charlotte forces her horse to bend while on the air by pulling on the reins!
That was my thought too. Top riders do indeed position their bodies so their horse starts to bend into the turn, but that's a lot different then using a direct rein to force a horse to turn in the air.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Commoner

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/C...CveUqcmrgl.jpg

Hi, can someone tell me whatis the name is of the women sitting next to Alex. I have seen her often but forgotten her name.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Courtier

^Vanina Mandelli
Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Courtier

That is such a cute picture.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Courtier

My fear is that Charlotte could be disgusted by horse riding, if she keeps on competiting to too high levels. I didn't want to talk about that anymore but looking at this picture I had never seen before, I realized that this was the most obvious danger. It would be a pity if this happened, because horse riding is a beautiful sport, and Charlotte seems to enjoy it, what the way she practices it is. (I'm sorry, I don't think that my last sentence is correct.)
I read fear on Charlotte's face, here, and also in her horse's eyes. There's something wrong, I hope that they are going to feel better.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

Charlotte does look frightened in that picture but you can't always tell whats going on from one snapshot. She actually did okay on Madison d'Olgy at Cannes. She came in 5/42 clear, 25/40 with 4 faults and 16/40 with 4 faults. All at 1.35m. 2 out of 3 times she was in the top half of the group. That's pretty good. She didn't do as well on CarryDuff Z but that is one of her newer horses. I don't think her coaches will let her do anything to endanger her or her horses. They have reputations to uphold. That being said injury is a part of any sport. Athina broke her collar bone last year and Georgina Bloomberg hurt her back; and they are much better riders than Charlotte. So far Charlotte has only sprained a couple of fingers.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Azure - Charlotte has as much right to compete as anyone else, in whatever sport she wishes.

Grace's family and forebears excelled in a number of sports, and the family seems to have the "sporting gene", to the extent that even the youngest members get the chance to compete in something that interests them.

I still have the interview with PA and Charlotte where Albert is extolling the talents of Char and Pauline.

Let's rejoice in such a sporty family, not knock them...
Going to a higher level from this that is right for her, makes her trying to make big steps in order to have a "good" appearence like the other riders! She gives me the impression that she practices less and competes more. Well, if i'm quite logic, it's the other way round. And now she has more horses! Does she has the time to practice with them and create a nice and close relationship with each of them( ?) I can hardly imagine that because in my head i think that she has given all the weight tο her talented horses. It's like she thinks that they will help her improve, but horse riding is a sport that demands communication with the horse. And for me she didn't succed this. But time will tell..
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyKate
My fear is that Charlotte could be disgusted by horse riding, if she keeps on competiting to too high levels. I didn't want to talk about that anymore but looking at this picture I had never seen before, I realized that this was the most obvious danger. It would be a pity if this happened, because horse riding is a beautiful sport, and Charlotte seems to enjoy it, what the way she practices it is. (I'm sorry, I don't think that my last sentence is correct.)
I read fear on Charlotte's face, here, and also in her horse's eyes. There's something wrong, I hope that they are going to feel better.
She does look quite terrified in that picture. It could just be a bad moment, but it could also definitely be that she's riding at a higher level than she should be and she's not comfortable doing it.

Her coaches have incredible reputations, but they're also all professional riders and trainers. (someone can correct me if I'm wrong in assuming her coaches teach and train as their main source of income). Charlotte is a client, and a wealthy, high profile one. There's a realistic chance that they feel unable to go as hard on her as they would a person off the street.

I never thought negatively of Charlotte's equestrian pursuits until her public statement about the glamour of riding. That was a red flag for me, and when I started looking I realized there are problems with her riding. I'd actually like to see her correct that and become very good in her sport, but I just don't see it at the present time.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

HRHHermione, is that Jacqueline Kennedy riding in your avatar photo?

It looks like Sirdar, the bay gelding that the former President of Pakistan(Ayub Khan) gave her when she was First Lady...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23
HRHHermione, is that Jacqueline Kennedy riding in your avatar photo?

It looks like Sirdar, the bay gelding that the former President of Pakistan(Ayub Khan) gave her when she was First Lady...
It's The Princess Royal actually :) I love her in this picture
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look, when one is concentrating in the jump off, one is not smiling and singing songs of joy. Here is a picture of my coach winning (for the 4th time) the $175,000 derby at Spruce meadows last week. She's not smiling. She has no weight in her heel here. She's turning in the air. www.barnmice.com/group/barnmicenews/forum/topics/spruce-meadows-national-sunday?xg_source=activity. She has an olympic gold and silver as well as a world championship on the wall. My point is, even the best riders in the world are not text book correct every moment of the day. Cut the amateur a little slack. She shows up and tries her best to do the job. The sport requires some personal bravery, unlike some like tennis or golf. Not to mention daily practise. Let's also remember that even with the best horses...they are NOT cars. They have opinions and likes and fears just like any other living beings. Sometimes for no discernable reason a horse will be absolutely appalled by a particular jump. Then even the best laid plans must go awry.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Excuse my lack of horse knowledge...but what is turning in the air?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

In the timed second round, whoever goes the fastest and leaves the jumps up wins. The course is always laid out (differently each time) in order to challenge the pair in terms of quickly turning from one jump to the next to save time. In which case turning in the air is one of the most critical skills a jumper rider can have. First you slice diagonally across the jump (instead of jumping straight across as it's set and then turning), lets say left to right if its a right turn. Then as the horse leaves the ground you continue to lead her in the direction of the turn, which makes them turn in the air. This only works with a carefull horse or many faults add up.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

Usually a horse takes a jump straight on or at a straight angle but recently I have been seeing horses start their turn in the middle of the jump (bending at the waist). This is a huge advantage. It allows very sharp turns and flatter turning arcs on the ground to the next jump. Every second counts. Watch post 1101.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Excuse my lack of horse knowledge...but what is turning in the air?
It just means that she's giving the horse cues to turn when he's in the middle of the jump. She's giving too direct a signal at the wrong time.

When cues are given correctly in riding, they're very subtle. You signal the horse in several ways- with your legs, seat, hands, and your body position. Also, in jumping, timing is very important. Her timing on her cues just seems to be off, and it doesn't look like she's riding her horse very considerately. That's normal- it's part of the learning process. I've been riding most of my life and I won't pretend that I'm even close to perfect. But I also don't ride at Charlotte's level- I know that I don't have the skill set to do it, and it would be bad and dangerous for both me and my horse to try.

The problem with Charlotte's career as I see it is that she's trying to ride at a higher level than she should be and the reason she's able to do it is because she's capable of buying horses that are very, very talented. But the most important part of riding is the partnership, and she's not fostering an equal partnership. I'd like to see her reassess her skill level, and go back to riding at a lower level until she improves her form a bit. It'd be very fun to see her really interact and bond with her horses too- I've never seen a picture where she seems to just be loving on her horse.

This picture made me cringe... neither of them looks like they're having fun:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...53Anwh-Rxl.jpg

It looks like she's giving her horse conflicting signals- which is pretty typical of a rider who's unsure of themselves. It's bad for both horse and rider.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Okay...I see.....thanks to all.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
In the timed second round, whoever goes the fastest and leaves the jumps up wins. The course is always laid out (differently each time) in order to challenge the pair in terms of quickly turning from one jump to the next to save time. In which case turning in the air is one of the most critical skills a jumper rider can have. First you slice diagonally across the jump (instead of jumping straight across as it's set and then turning), lets say left to right if its a right turn. Then as the horse leaves the ground you continue to lead her in the direction of the turn, which makes them turn in the air. This only works with a carefull horse or many faults add up.
This is a good explanation of how it should be, absolutely :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Look, when one is concentrating in the jump off, one is not smiling and singing songs of joy. Here is a picture of my coach winning (for the 4th time) the $175,000 derby at Spruce meadows last week. She's not smiling. She has no weight in her heel here. She's turning in the air. www.barnmice.com/group/barnmicenews/forum/topics/spruce-meadows-national-sunday?xg_source=activity. She has an olympic gold and silver as well as a world championship on the wall. My point is, even the best riders in the world are not text book correct every moment of the day. Cut the amateur a little slack. She shows up and tries her best to do the job. The sport requires some personal bravery, unlike some like tennis or golf. Not to mention daily practise. Let's also remember that even with the best horses...they are NOT cars. They have opinions and likes and fears just like any other living beings. Sometimes for no discernable reason a horse will be absolutely appalled by a particular jump. Then even the best laid plans must go awry.
And by the way, your coach looks absolutely freaking perfect there. No weight in her heels, no conflicting signals, just beautiful. It must be an absolute privilege to train with her.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you, so much, Scooter for sharing your well-earned, factual expertise - I appreciate your opinion as a practitioner, rather than some arm-chair critic with nothing to back up their complaints. Thanks for sharing the picture to also illustrate that even an Olympic-level, world-class champion can show less-than-perfect technique, and still win.....after YEARS of experience. I agree that Charlotte is still growing and learning, and not sure why some expect her to be immediately at the same level as champions with years of expertise....cut her a break while she continues to grow and learn.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
It's The Princess Royal actually :) I love her in this picture

Yes, that is a BEAUTIFUL picture...thank you !