Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Riders that are "still learning" stay home and work hard with their coaches and attend schooling shows to gain experience. They don't follow the Global Champions Tour all over the world and give interviews insinuating they hope to ride in the Olympics. She should be staying close to her home stable and riding several hours a day if she wants to be a rider. And if she doesn't, she should stop the ridiculous promoting of her "career".

Not so in this country, especially in this economy. If the princess client can afford to buy and campaign nice horses at the top end of the market they will certainly not be told to stay home by their coach. Also there are no jumper divisions in schooling shows in America. They only begin at A2 level.

Not so in this country, especially in this economy. If the princess client can afford to buy and campaign nice horses at the top end of the market they will certainly not be told to stay home by their coach.
Pretty foolish for coaches to act that way. They set their client up for failure which would not encourage them to continue with the coach or even perhaps to give up. At some point in time someone has to tell the client that money is no substitute for hard work and training, if not they will just continue to fail and to embarress themselves.

Last edited:
Not so in this country, especially in this economy. If the princess client can afford to buy and campaign nice horses at the top end of the market they will certainly not be told to stay home by their coach. Also there are no jumper divisions in schooling shows in America. They only begin at A2 level.

Then it's a good thing Charlotte's home stable isn't in America :flowers:

I know that there are no jumper divisions in schooling shows in America, but we discussed a few pages back that hunter-jumper isn't done as much in Europe- jumper is more common. So I assumed there had to be something that equates to schooling shows to practice show jumping for amateurs. If not schooling, at least small local shows.

And I don't think this client is making her coach look good. Plus, at this point, Charlotte shouldn't NEED to be told she's not riding well and she needs more practice and training- it should be readily apparent to her, even if Rozier isn't giving her good advice.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "schooling divisions" but if we are talking about easy amateur competitions with lower fences they are huge lot in france, you can find them everywhere and they are very very organized, for kids, young, adults... you can stay at this lower divisions your whole life and that's what 99% of riders do.
You can enter a lot of different kind of competions and you can obtain different kind of jumping licenses that give you access to different shows.

They are categories for small ponies, medium ponies and big ponies, with fences that go from low crossed poles to serious looking 1.20.

And the same thing with horses, you can take part in amateur competitions that go from 0.50 cm, where the horse practicaly walk over the fence to 1.35 or something like that and still keep your schooling license. The competitions go growing 5 cm, so teoretically if they are shows near your home you could be advancing 5 cm at a time.
They are also mid-level licenses that allow you to take part in amateur competitions and bigger CSO at the same time.

There is not hunter and that's a big shame, but in the other hand show-jumping schooling is really organized and allows riders of every level to progress to near the highest levels while scarcely moving from home.

WOW, that was quick!
Tiintero gave her only a 2 day trail. It's the 3rd day and he's already fed-up. They were eliminated at the 1.20 :eek: Seriously, Charlotte, sell the horse. He simply doesn't want to jump with you.

She also rode Carry in the 1.20. They got 4 point which is not bad per se, but is a low performance for a horse of that level.

I don't think she should jump higher than that for a while. And she should lend those talented horses to a better rider and look for an older, more experienced horse for herself, the kind of horse who is used to bad riders and doesn't care about wrong distances and pulls at the mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder, will Charlotte complete in the London Olymipcs?

No. Without a doubt. She's just an amateur rider. And not a good one.

And judging by what we see in videos and her attitude with horses she most certainly will never compete in any competition near Olympic level.

Has anyone seen any pictures of Charlotte with Thierry at Basel? I have only seen Charlotte with Edwina and Edwina walked the course with her. Maybe she has changed coaches. If that is the case she has to follow Edwina to get her training. Either way it's going to take her awhile to get rid of her bad habits.Another point about her being at these big events. Remember ,she has a contract with Gucci. Gucci doesn't pay her to ride in small towns. Charlotte is in the unique situation where she rides like an amateur ,but is paid better than alot of the pros to attend these events. If she gets top model rates, which I am sure she does, she could potentially be paid millions of Euros.

more photos from today Basel event ...

STARTRAKS PHOTO

shame it is not in Full HD :whistling:

its night fever :ROFLMAO:

becareful with the drinks, (trafic police exist), And NO DRUGS !!! :excl::excl::excl:

Have fun !!! :lol:

Has anyone seen any pictures of Charlotte with Thierry at Basel? I have only seen Charlotte with Edwina and Edwina walked the course with her. Maybe she has changed coaches. If that is the case she has to follow Edwina to get her training. Either way it's going to take her awhile to get rid of her bad habits.Another point about her being at these big events. Remember ,she has a contract with Gucci. Gucci doesn't pay her to ride in small towns. Charlotte is in the unique situation where she rides like an amateur ,but is paid better than alot of the pros to attend these events. If she gets top model rates, which I am sure she does, she could potentially be paid millions of Euros.

You are the only person who know the truth, (behind the fog); in fact ... the failure is all from gucci :bang: they whant CHAR. with the best rider, but she can not, do better ... :sad: she dont have capacity (technique at this moment) to pass CSI2* 120cm. :ohmy:

About the millions, well ... money can not buy the shame of this eliminations :eek: I´m tired of that :bang: I´m not the only one ...:cool:

I know is rude to say this, but ... its truth, she is just a model for the flash cameras, and not a sport equestrian rider. :sad:

But this week-end, she jump very well, its another fact for the moment. :lol: Let´s see the next event :) :flowers:

A question for the riders here regarding Charlottes riding ability: I know VERY little, but I am curious, it seems to me that Charlotte stays too upright in position when she is jumping. I am comparing her positions to those of Athina Onassis and I'm seeing quite a difference. It seems to me that Charlotte does not stay down over her horse's shoulders .... should she not be doing that? She almost looks sometimes like she is standing in her stirrups.

Athina Onassis would not be the first person on the list I would use to compare.....

A question for the riders here regarding Charlottes riding ability: I know VERY little, but I am curious, it seems to me that Charlotte stays too upright in position when she is jumping. I am comparing her positions to those of Athina Onassis and I'm seeing quite a difference. It seems to me that Charlotte does not stay down over her horse's shoulders .... should she not be doing that? She almost looks sometimes like she is standing in her stirrups.

Her angles always look off. It always looks like she's either ahead of the jump or getting left behind. And you're right- even on the flat, she looks like she's standing in her stirrups and she shouldn't be doing that. I personally think it's because she doesn't have a very good seat.

Granted, there are people in this thread that know more than I do, but that's my opinion.

And I mean... Athina Onassis isn't a pro, but she's a very competent amateur. I think she usually looks very good.

She could take ridding more serious, she has everything in favour, she is already competing with the best, she has a coach, she has sponsors, she has good horses, she has money...she needs to engage more, to commit itself more, work more, live for ridding...and she does not...:ROFLMAO: this way she is going to be always in the middle and never at the top...

Her angles always look off. It always looks like she's either ahead of the jump or getting left behind. And you're right- even on the flat, she looks like she's standing in her stirrups and she shouldn't be doing that. I personally think it's because she doesn't have a very good seat.

Granted, there are people in this thread that know more than I do, but that's my opinion.

And I mean... Athina Onassis isn't a pro, but she's a very competent amateur. I think she usually looks very good.

BonJour :flowers:

No one will attack your opinion, freedom of opinion exists, for 90% of participants in this forum. unfortunately in my case it does not exist. but that's another story.

1ª - where you see CHAR. ``sitting´´ in is stirrups ? what parcours ? what horse ? what kind of obstacle was a Oxer ? was a vertical ? a double vertical ?, or a double Oxer ? reached this conclusion through photos, or videos ?? because all this is relevant, for the analysis made to the rider .

RULES Nº 1 - JUMPING OBSTACLES IS IMPERATIVE STANDING UP IN THE STIRRUPS, WAY ? come next ...

Is obligatory riders release their mounted, before jumping to facilitate the impluse of the horse, and avoid the obstacle with successfully, unfortunately it did not happen in CSI5 * La Coruña, (last Dez.) a Brazilian rider, forgot to take the tail of is Seat, in a 1.60 cm Oxer, the horse land over the obstacle in a horrible decrease, (because the horse dont have any impluse) the horse broke his shoulder in 11 different places, and had to be slaughtered (i´m sorry the term, it was what they did) by Vet 2 hours later.

In relation to Tininha Onassis (Tininha to his friends) I dont think she is an amateur amazons, quite the contrary, I am sure that it's a hope in the world riding, and I think she is a novice professional, and always based my opinion with supporting documentation, ... repair: in the last 5 events is results was most better than her husband (Doda to his friends), and this is enough to consider a new hope for the equestrian professional worldwide.

The problem of CHAR. is exactly the same was at two years ago, where I wrote this in this forum:

`` Hello :flowers:

Perhaps the vacations carried through for CHAR. in Portugal, follow the Chantilly, had not been enough to come back the necessary concentration, and inteligence is necessary to this sport.

Maybe the trips for the Mediterranean with is mother, it it has recouped the lucidity, and intelligence; to star in win prize giving to was in the hipism.

We are practically in the end of GCT 2010; e until seems that it started yesterday in Spain.

It has part that about the burrow, (CHAR.) I think that whichever the result of Rio de Janeiro; the participation carried through for the CHAR. it was reasonable; having the race of (Chantilly) its worse, and the participation in Holland the best off.

I did not have chance to see in the Eurosport, the participation of CHAR. in day 13, but I see the course of days 14, and 15; with special unpleasantness of this last one; for the following reasons:

1) He is proven of that TINTERO is the best horse that CHAR. it had until the present a date, by the way as already I affirmed in the last post.

2) If TROY does not jump, is for entire guilt of the CHAR., without a doubt.

If you repair in day 14, (S33 course) the CHAR. it entered very well with TINTEIRO, and TROY, Sufficiently intent, and motivated; without lacks, an authentic professional.

No longer day 15 was a disaster … Since the beginning it gave to perceive of that CHAR. it was with the head in the moon, and not on of the shoulders; as it would have, lets us see:

In the S43 course, everything ran well to the exception of (Oxer - jump nº 11); CHAR. it carries through a serious error, in prolongating in way step, the point of stroke, in the approach; the horse still of the one last effort, giving a violent vertical strain, to be able to run away to the obstacle, but was inevitable; its knocks down. It was a serious error, that if paid expensive, therefore was hindered to go to jump-off; if it had not committed this error, would have been in an excellent position, that is; third place with 72,28 seconds, would be its better result of always, and would go to jump-off; as a professional.

In relation to the S46 course; it was a total shame, for a knight with the CHAR experience. It has to admit that if TROY does not jump is for guilt entirely of it, lets sees:

Repair in 1º error carried through for CHAR. it advances for the jump nº 1 (Vertical), practically on of the supports, that is CHAR. it is incapable to center the horse in the way Vertical it, as if it can see in the videos of the Eurosport.

2º error, is one of the reasons for what TROY rejected to jump has to see, with the impulse that is, the force who the horse leads to transpose the obstacle, is about a test of 1,35cm, in this case TROY would have to go in FULL TROT SPEED TRUST, and not half speed trot impluse) therefore this when having conscience of that it went very slow for the obstacle, and badly centered in the way Vertical it, rejects to jump; and WITH REASON !!!

CHAR. comes back, and it carries the same error again … the horse (under pressure) for the three lashing that it led previously, makes a suplemental effort and … it jumps to the tangent.

The 2ª jump as approach of excellent form , that is ... FULL TROT SPEED TRUST … and guess whant ? TROY jumps very well !!!

3º obstacle (Vertical) without error. Approach of the oxer nº4 CHAR. reduce the FULL TROT SPEED to the half trot speed, and whant whose the resultes ??? ELIMINATION !!!

The horse has conscience of that it is a oxer, and the speed that leads it does not obtain to transpose, clearly; therefore if before in a simple Vertical line it does not jump, or jumps to the tangent; in this oxer, would be very worse; TROY opposes to jump it clearly, repairs in the mouth of the horse, as it does not follow the CHAR instructions.

THE HORSES ARE NOT STUPIDS !!!

I wish better concentration in RIO de JANEIRO, because this is a sport with a little of danger , and a crash is not good, to any one, lot whant happend to Athina, by the way i´m glad to see Athina back to the business again. ´´

Unfortunately she did not change much is lifestyle, and problems persist, she can not calibrate the footsteps of his horse properly, can not even keep a defined direction of the mount, (or the optimal speed at the point of impluse) because she does not know enough the horse is using, it is necessary to train a lot, but really with one, or two horses, at most, (and not a lot of them) Horses are like men, the only difference, is the firsts has four legs, and the men have 3, UPS !!! :whistling: I said 3 legs ? I apologize ... the mens have two legs, (where I had my head ...) :D

A woman will not marry a man without truly knowing, and only dating him will discover ... logically. in horses is the same thing, you have to train hard, to see how he reacts to this; or that, in order to extract the best advantage, in this; or that jump. Nobody makes a master's degree without first learning to read and write, and CHAR. in my OPTION, continues to spell out the syllables ... YET !!!:bang:

Lets work ... please ! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
She could take ridding more serious, she has everything in favour, she is already competing with the best, she has a coach, she has sponsors, she has good horses, she has money...she needs to engage more, to commit itself more, work more, live for ridding...and she does not...:ROFLMAO: this way she is going to be always in the middle and never at the top...

Maybe she will do this now that she hasn't got the distraction of going to see Alex in London.

Although IMO Charlotte enjoys the riding lifestyle but also likes to attend the fashion parties etc. and if you really want to be the best you have to keep distractions like that to a minimum. I actually expect her to continue riding for a few more years and then maybe move back in to journalism or something similar.

I agree with everything. Charlotte seating and position needs improving a lot.
And about Athina, as an amateur, I wouldn't mind riding like her. At all.

She has the most important quality an amateur rider can have: she does not bother her horse.

Athina lived for ridding... even her husband rides horses...her life before Doda was in a horse trainning center..she really does enjoy ridding..she doesn't do it for the show off...or because is VIP ridding horses...However I think Charlotte has potential but she should work more if she wants to be the best...

Athina is a pro now. She competes against the top pros at the 5* level. This was her first year at that level but she was very accurate, just slower. Her results were very respectable.

I notice the best riders try not to move the bottom half of their body at all. They just hinge forward at the waist when they jump. Charlotte is totally depending on the reins and saddle to provide her balance. Someone here suggested that she learn how to ride bareback. That would force her to ride correctly. I hope she has changed coaches. She needs to go back and learn the fundamentals. Then she will improve and gain confidence. The Roziers still ride like people did decades ago.

Yes, I agree the lovely Athina Onassis whole life has been horses (still recall that first interview of her with Diane Sawyer when she was 14 next to her horse). :)

Charlotte, not so much, I don't think it's her ambition to be the best in the world but rather the best that she can do, which may not be muich to others, but to her it means the world. I applaud her for the effort, and hope to see her improve. In the meantime I'm glad if her name and image has brought an extra focus on show jumping, especially to those that may have never noticed it before until Charlotte appeared on the scene (ding, waves hand :wave: ). As well, I'm glad that Gucci has partnered with Charlotte for the past two years, after taking a 20-year hiatus from the equestrian world, which is all good for the sport (re: Gucci a new partnership with Charlotte Casiraghi ).

And this is the best time in Charlotte's young life to find out how much more she can push herself, how far she can go in show jumping before she eventually retires, gets married, and has babies. :flowers After all, both her mom & grandma married at 26 and had their first child at 27, so I see Charlotte following family tradition. ;)

Hopefully Gad's sense of humour relaxes Charlotte and helps her with show jumping. If her results improve, then I will tip my hat to Gad, lol. :D

There'd be no reason for her to stop jumping because of marriage/children. Many riders who have both compete- riders can compete for a long time, it's not a sport that's only for the young.

And if she wants to be the best that she can be, she'd do well to practice every day and work at it.

If I was sponsoring someone eventually I would expect results. Charlottes riding "career" may have inspired Charlotte watchers to know more about the sport but I doubt it has done much for the general public. Winning is what attracts the publics attention.

Well then it's good you are *not* sponsoring her, eh? ;)

Once again I say it's good for the sport. Same goes for Princess Alexandra of Hanover competing in my beloved figure skating. :heart:

I always try to see the positive, and that includes not following someone I don't care for, a waste of time and energy. You should try it sometime. Finito!

Gucci didn't hire Charlotte because of her riding ability. They hired her because it raises their profile even more and because their sales increase. They sell more dresses, riding boots, purses, luggage, etc. The same way P. Caroline's asssociation with Chanel has made them a long time winner. I read a book about YSL and he complained that Lagerfeld wouldn't have been half as successful without PC's loyalty.

The Bordeaux Jumping has started this afternoon: any sign of Charlotte?

EDIT: she's not on the start lists for the moment. Here is the link, if you want to have a look! Maybe it will be updated during the week-end.
http://results.scgvisual.com/2012/bordeaux/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom