Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't just enter. The FEI has to approve your entry to the Olympics for safety's sake. Charlotte is not close to being eligible. She is only riding at CSI 1 and 2*. Olympic level is 5*. As far as I know there are no other riders that would qualify from Monaco. I am sure she will be there as a spectator supporting her friends.

Juliette Maillot was there with Charlotte as well. Been a long time since I've seen the two of them together

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't just enter. The FEI has to approve your entry to the Olympics for safety's sake. Charlotte is not close to being eligible. She is only riding at CSI 1 and 2*. Olympic level is 5*. As far as I know there are no other riders that would qualify from Monaco. I am sure she will be there as a spectator supporting her friends.

Yes, all of this. Thank you for explaining it so well! :flowers:

Charlotte was eliminated yesterday and today on CarryDuffZ at 2*, 1.35m. She is definitely struggling.

Tom Selleck's daughter and Martina Hingis are a couple of the celebrities there that Americans would recognize.

A large gallery with more pics from yesterday can be found here:

** Charlotte Casiraghi estekisoissa Pariisissa **

In the evening there was the usual Opening Gala, check out the second page!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Thanx Iceflower for the photos....the second foto almosts show a mirror image of her brother Andrea......I also think she is looking older, in that she is now 25 and is now heading towards to her thirties;)

I don't know if this pic here.
Princess Caroline, with....Athina?

There are plenty of pics of Princess Caroline in newscom. Just type "Princess Caroline".

Last edited:
Yep, i'm not sure either. I've seen Julliette Maillot in some pics, she is blond now. Maybe it's her. I think she competes.
Maybe someone that is more fullfilled in the equestrian area can inform us?

^ I'm pretty sure that's Edwina Alexander. She's pictured talking to caroline in a lot of the pics.

:previous: you are right! I forgot Edwina. Yes, it could definately be her.

It's definitly Edwina Alexander. She's in head to toe Gucci.

One extract of Charlotte's Madame Figaro Interview is in the link:

Je ne dors pas bien avant les compétitions. Comme j'ai un rythme soutenu, que je voyage souvent et que je travaille dans des domaines d'activités différentes, c'est plus dur pour le physique et la concentration. (...) Ce qui me bloque parfois, c'est le stress, la peur de ne pas y arriver..."

According to google, it's:
I do not sleep well before the competition. I like a steady pace, I travel often and I work in areas of different activities, it's harder for the physical and concentration. (...) What I sometimes freezes, the stress, fear not to do it ... "

Charlotte was eliminated again today. I agree with the article that part of her problem is mental. She was jumping some of these courses okay last year. Maybe these eliminations will make it easier for her to change coaches. Sport is 50% mental. Did the article sat she was preparing for the Olympics? That's crazy. I hope she is not being pressured into this by others.

She is not in anyway qualified to appear at the Olympics as anything but a spectator in the stands. She needs to decide if she wants to ride just for pleasure or if she wants to take the time to do the necessary training required to be a competitive rider and perhaps advance through the ranks. Right now she is just damaging good horses and delivering bad results that highlight her lack of training and technique.

Je ne dors pas bien avant les compétitions. Comme j'ai un rythme soutenu, que je voyage souvent et que je travaille dans des domaines d'activités différentes, c'est plus dur pour le physique et la concentration. (...) Ce qui me bloque parfois, c'est le stress, la peur de ne pas y arriver..."

I don't sleep well before the competitions.Since I have a fast pace life ,I travel often and I work in different fields, it's harder for my body and mental concentration.
What blocks me sometimes, it's stress, the fear of not achieving...

Last edited:
Well, she says in the interview that she rides 2-3 days and then travels and does other things 3-4 days.
That explains a lot...

I agree TrepStep. That is a hobby, not a career. At least she is being more honest now. But why have 7 horses for a hobby? She would be better off riding 1 or 2 horses 5 times a week than 5 or 7, 2 days a week. Timing is everything in sport.You can't develop a rhythm practising 2 days a week.

I agree TrepStep. That is a hobby, not a career. At least she is being more honest now. But why have 7 horses for a hobby? She would be better off riding 1 or 2 horses 5 times a week than 5 or 7, 2 days a week. Timing is everything in sport.You can't develop a rhythm practising 2 days a week.

Exactly. It's ridiculous to have a string of seven horses (which is what a professional would need) when she's only riding two or three times a week. It also explains why she never bonds with her horses and why they aren't comfortable with her and distrust her. She never works to get to them and their individual personalities- she can't if she's riding that many horses and riding so little.

Plus, the cost on all those horses is staggering- not just purchase price, but all of their show fees, training, boarding, etc. She's spending an absurd amount of money very frivolously. Granted, it's her money and she can do what she wants with it, but I think it's more than a little ridiculous to spend that much money on what is essentially an excuse for her to wear pretty clothes and socialize with people. She doesn't care about the actual riding. If she did, she'd be doing a lot of things differently.

Pro riders ride that amount of horses every day of the year. And a lot of times it's not even their own. True equestrian pro's make riding their life. 24/7. You can't reach the top half-a.ssing you're way through it.

I have problems with people with that attitude. Funnily enough, it usually happens with those who have an incredible amount of money or have their parents pave their way in.

Just an example of someone who's equally as elite, if even more; Zara made it her life. 24/7. She's an Olympic rider, Charlotte can barely finish an amateur tournament. The list is even too long to name on why Zara is the better horse-woman.

Last edited:
Both of Zara's parents were Olympic eventers. I don't think you can compare the two.

I am glad Charlotte is bombing out though. It is one of life's lessons. Hope she learns from it. They say horses don't lie and are not afraid to humble humans. Too bad the humans around her aren't as honest with her. Maybe they were and she just didn't listen.

Charlotte and Edwina won the Style and Competition event tonight. Charlotte manages to look good even in an afro. See it on www.Youtube.com/Gucci Masters 2011 : Style+Competition for Amade.

Last edited:
Both of Zara's parents were Olympic eventers. I don't think you can compare the two.

I am glad Charlotte is bombing out though. It is one of life's lessons. Hope she learns from it. They say horses don't lie and are not afraid to humble humans. Too bad the humans around her aren't as honest with her. Maybe they were and she just didn't listen.
That is pretty harsh. She shows up every day and tries to improve her craft. And may I ask were you in the room when 'the humans arent honest with her'? She buys the best horses she can and engages the best trainer she can. Not everyone has a natural talent. I would like to also point out to the critics, Horses are not cars. They have opinions and minds of their own. I give her the credit for trying to move up to the next level in a physically demanding sport that requires personal bravery. It's not tennis.

Agreed, she may as well cut back to just competing at small country events in the south of France and areas around Monaco. They would probably be closer to her level anyway.

That is pretty harsh. She shows up every day and tries to improve her craft. And may I ask were you in the room when 'the humans arent honest with her'? She buys the best horses she can and engages the best trainer she can. Not everyone has a natural talent. I would like to also point out to the critics, Horses are not cars. They have opinions and minds of their own. I give her the credit for trying to move up to the next level in a physically demanding sport that requires personal bravery. It's not tennis.

By her own admission, she shows up two or three days a week. When she feels like it.

She buys horses that are further along in their training than she is in hers, and rather than try to make them the best that they can be, she tries to compete in competitions that she's not ready to enter because her riding skills aren't up to it. As you observe, horses aren't cars. They have their own skills, their own feelings and their own abilities/dedication to the sport. You have to be willing to learn their personalities, work with them, and cultivate a relationship- and work hard- if you're going to be a good rider.

She rides two to three days a week. She has a string of horses that are more talented than she is, and doesn't seem to care that she's holding them back. The way she's managed her career is indefensible.

Agreed, she may as well cut back to just competing at small country events in the south of France and areas around Monaco. They would probably be closer to her level anyway.

I would be impressed if she chose to do that. Cut back to maybe two horses, worked hard at lessons and competed at events that are at her level. I like that she rides- I'd love to see her succeed.

Back
Top Bottom