Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The autopsy said Hickstead burst his aorta. He was gone very quickly...

As far as the warm up area, there is ALWAYS a steward present to make sure there is nothing harmful to the horse taking place. I would also like to point out 2 things: 1. You cannot FORCE a horse to do anything, certainly not jump at any height. They out weigh their humans 10:1. You can train them, but the horse must want to do the job.
2. At any FEI sanctioned event, there is zero tollerance for medication of any kind in the horse. No asprin, nada. Each horse must jog sound for the officiating vet before he is allowed to compete. This is to make sure the horse is sound and in no pain.

So I'm not sure what made you nauseated in the warm up....

Whenever I see her ride (or a lot of showjumpers. Dressage riders too) all I can think lately is that she needs to start jumping bareback on an easy horse. Those reins and stirrups are becoming too much of a handicap for riders, rather than a tool.

I've been thinking this too actually... I'm a huge fan of bareback riding. I think it teaches you how to really be in tune with your horse and communicate. Tack is supposed to be a tool, like you said- and Charlotte doesn't know how to use it as a tool because she doesn't have the fundamentals in place that she needs to communicate with her horse.

She could stand to do some trail riding, bareback on her horse, take a few easy jumps, and learn to feel how the horse moves and how she should move with it. I'm teaching a lesson in an hour- (I teach a few beginner lessons, nothing serious) and this thread has inspired me to put her on without stirrups today :lol:

So all you riders.... there's an 8 year old who's about to ride at a sitting trot without stirrups for the afternoon, and she has Ms. Casiraghi and my feelings about good horsemanship to thank for it!

FEI is not the KNHS.

What makes me sick is the fact that dressage riders who are far into M or Z (if you're familiar with the Dutch dressage classifications) and it isn't that they're straight out abusing the animals (though someone I sadly know, is a straight out cnt towards her horse. Always has been, towards her previous ones aswell. They're too sweet for her, truly are) but more that most of them can't ride properly. One of my best friends was riding that day and she came to me and said she was stunned at how bad most of the riders were.

And I'm talking about riders here that are further into the high levels of dressage, and almost all of them couldn't ride their horse properly. You don't need to beat the hell out of a horse to make me sigh.

I've been thinking this too actually... I'm a huge fan of bareback riding. I think it teaches you how to really be in tune with your horse and communicate. Tack is supposed to be a tool, like you said- and Charlotte doesn't know how to use it as a tool because she doesn't have the fundamentals in place that she needs to communicate with her horse.

She could stand to do some trail riding, bareback on her horse, take a few easy jumps, and learn to feel how the horse moves and how she should move with it. I'm teaching a lesson in an hour- (I teach a few beginner lessons, nothing serious) and this thread has inspired me to put her on without stirrups today :lol:

So all you riders.... there's an 8 year old who's about to ride at a sitting trot without stirrups for the afternoon, and she has Ms. Casiraghi and my feelings about good horsemanship to thank for it!
Do it. Especially for beginners. So important to teach them to ride a horse based on your seat and not your arms and legs. I'd even suggest to tie up the reins but I don't know how confident the girl is on a horse.
I remember the first time I did a canter on a horse without a saddle. I was about 7 years old or so. I fell off for the first time that day. :ROFLMAO: Sweet memories.

But I can understand when people don't ride bareback on a warmblood horse because, well, ouch. :whistling: Take a tinker or something. I've been riding one lately and her trot and canter are the smoothest I've ever experienced. But soooo stubborn sometimes. It makes it a challenge though.

Do it. Especially for beginners. So important to teach them to ride a horse based on your seat and not your arms and legs. I'd even suggest to tie up the reins but I don't know how confident the girl is on a horse.
I remember the first time I did a canter on a horse without a saddle. I was about 7 years old or so. I fell off for the first time that day. :ROFLMAO: Sweet memories.

But I can understand when people don't ride bareback on a warmblood horse because, well, ouch. :whistling: Take a tinker or something. I've been riding one lately and her trot and canter are the smoothest I've ever experienced. But soooo stubborn sometimes. It makes it a challenge though.

She's getting there- I think I'll tie up the reins today and have her try "airplane position" and a few other exercises, but only at the walk and trot. She's not quite ready to do it at the canter. I too, have fond memories of cantering bareback the first time as a child and promptly falling off!

And I have a haflinger, so I completely understand what you mean about beautiful gaits and a stubborn disposition! Although I've found with my guy, it was really a matter of winning him over- I spent many weeks bringing him treats and walking around the pasture with him and just hanging out with him after I rode... and now we work very well as a team and when we both want the same thing at the same time- it's lovely!

He still gives that stubborn attitude to anyone else that gets on him though :lol:

I might try that but I fear she is just really not willing to do much work (she's more of a horse that likes to make long rides in the outdoors) and in general not the kind of horse that picks everything up in a day or a week. But it's also probably one big fat act of hers just to not have to work. She's only 4,5 and an absolute sweetheart so there's time but I always have to tune back because my own horse actually likes to work and knows everything. :ROFLMAO: But riding a stubborn horse is never a bad thing. You can only get better and learn from them. Aaaand it makes it even more of a treat to ride my own. :)

In the US, during the wild west days, the Native American Indians were considered to be excellent riders. They always rode bareback. I don't think they used reins either. Maybe they held onto the horse's mane.

The autopsy said Hickstead burst his aorta. He was gone very quickly...

As far as the warm up area, there is ALWAYS a steward present to make sure there is nothing harmful to the horse taking place. I would also like to point out 2 things: 1. You cannot FORCE a horse to do anything, certainly not jump at any height. They out weigh their humans 10:1. You can train them, but the horse must want to do the job.

So I'm not sure what made you nauseated in the warm up....

I'm sorry Scooter but I am with Empress Merel on this. The warm-up area specially during dressage competitions is nauseating. And it is so also in FEI competitions. The stewards are a joke and rollkur is applied everywhere.
The FEI can't even agree on a norm about rollkur and they just say that "it shouldn't last too long". I've known people who've gone to the stewards to tell them "hello, this person has been hiperflexing her horse neck for too long" and they just got an evil look from the steward.
And FEI doesn't care a damn.

Sorry this is a little ot. Someone asked about why rio isn't on gct 2012 schedule. Doda made it clear last time was the last.

I haven't been around but I came back tonight and was very engrossed by trep's and HRH hermione's posts. And others. I'm sorry I dont acknowledge u all by name but I am reading this thread with fascination. I have a lot of thoughts but no patience to express them. I am a little scared you will misunderstand me too. Sometimes people think I'm too harsh but really i just see things differently. A lot of people misunderstand me and I'm tired of it. I wish I was better at expressing myself.

I'm sorry Scooter but I am with Empress Merel on this. The warm-up area specially during dressage competitions is nauseating. And it is so also in FEI competitions. The stewards are a joke and rollkur is applied everywhere.
The FEI can't even agree on a norm about rollkur and they just say that "it shouldn't last too long". I've known people who've gone to the stewards to tell them "hello, this person has been hiperflexing her horse neck for too long" and they just got an evil look from the steward.
And FEI doesn't care a damn.
Thank you. You said what I couldn't. You don't have to beat your horse with a wooden stick for it to be abuse, in my opinion atleast. It's insane how many people can't ride their horse the way they should be ridden. From the hind legs to the upper body, upwards and forward. With relaxation and correctness. And it can be so simple if more people just trained with the right person and with the right horse. Buying a horse with a nice pedigree doesn't necessarily mean it will fit you.

Well, I dont spend anytime at dressage shows, so I cant speak to that. I will say that these animals can cost upwards of $1Million, so abusing them would be extremely foolish, both monetarily and due to the fact that once they have been hurt or frightened of their job, most times they wont do it anymore.

One of the many examples. Edward Gal does it aswell. Still a shame Totilas has been sold. That horse has never been the same without Edward. I just dislike his training methods. Adelinde is a much more gentle and fairer rider.

And atleast Anky knows what she's doing to her horse, more or less, but it's even worse when amateurs try the method and end up completely ruining the horse.

Charlotte and her Russian friend Eketovina Rybo... may be riding in the GCT this week-end in the United Arab Emirates. Can't find any postings of amateur results. I have a feeling she is there for political reasons. If the Emir invited her, she couldn't really say no. She didn't go to Qatar or Rio this year; the other two places where you had to fly.

Can't imagine what political reason there could be for her to go, her results haven't exactly been impressive and if there was a political reason to visit the UAE it would be her uncle that would go.

^^ I totally agree with you about the United Arab Emirates. I started thinking it when we saw pictures of Charlotte talking to a young prince of UAE last year. It was a very sudden complicity, it appeared to me that she was with him to attract money in Monaco, and he was with her because he was proud to be pictured with PG's granddaughter. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm quite sure that Charlotte will also go to China with GCT. Even Monaco is in crisis, and they are desperately looking for money, China and UAE are said to be their aim.

Who is Eketovina Rybo? The blond girl always stucked to Charlotte?

EDIT: I found this article (maybe the one you read FanofMonaco) which confirms that Charlotte is in UEA: http://www.thenational.ae/sport/other-sport/equestrian-saeed-seconds-to-none-to-take-csi2.

Last edited:
I hate to be synical Kate but the UK and Brazil are also in their aim. I have always wondered how much her relationship with Alex is business and how much is pleasure.

Sorry this is a little ot. Someone asked about why rio isn't on gct 2012 schedule. Doda made it clear last time was the last.

I haven't been around but I came back tonight and was very engrossed by trep's and HRH hermione's posts. And others. I'm sorry I dont acknowledge u all by name but I am reading this thread with fascination. I have a lot of thoughts but no patience to express them. I am a little scared you will misunderstand me too. Sometimes people think I'm too harsh but really i just see things differently. A lot of people misunderstand me and I'm tired of it. I wish I was better at expressing myself.

Well I'd certainly be interested in hearing your opinion if you wish to try :flowers:

No need for anyone to get their feelings hurt on this type of forum, or for people to feel like they shouldn't say what they think.

I hate to be synical Kate but the UK and Brazil are also in their aim. I have always wondered how much her relationship with Alex is business and how much is pleasure.

Of course each wealthy country is their aim. I agree for Brazil. As UK is concerned, it's not a new powerful country (as Brazil, China, or India are). Maybe Charlotte creates some interesting for Monaco during parties or dinners in London thanks to Alex, but I can't imagine that her so long relationship with Alex is business. According to me you can't live with someone only by interest, especially when you are young, wealthy and beautiful, without any official fonction. Charlotte has a very nice situation: she can do what she wants, because she's not a princess, she's not obliged to do things, as her mother did. She's a bit the princess Beatrice of Monaco: no responsabilities, only pleasure. I think that her and Alex do love each other, they seem a very nice couple to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but only time will tell us the truth!

I agree. It's not just business but I think Charlotte is expected to promote Monaco, title or not. Monaco is looking for financiers from the UK to fill their new office building that is now being erected.

Charlotte came in 27/36 with 8 faults in the 2*, 1.30m today with Rubins Quebelle. It shows Thierry Rozier as the owner now. There must be some kind of tax advantage to having others own your horse because the owners of Charlotte's horses switch alot.

Last edited:
Both my daughters learnt to ride with a lunge rein, no saddle no reins and the first time my youngest had a horse take the bit in its teeth and bolt with her I was certainly thankful for this training. In fact she came back to the stable a little nervous but quite exhilarated and she was only 8 years old.

FanofMonaco said:
I agree. It's not just business but I think Charlotte is expected to promote Monaco, title or not. Monaco is looking for financiers from the UK to fill their new office building that is now being erected.

Charlotte came in 27/36 with 8 faults in the 2*, 1.30m today with Rubins Quebelle. It shows Thierry Rozier as the owner now. There must be some kind of tax advantage to having others own your horse because the owners of Charlotte's horses switch alot.

Is this a new horse for her? I don't recognize the name

She's had it about a year but it is very young. I think about 8 years old. She has just started competing with it this fall. Thierry was training it before that. I think it is originally from the Lady Forbes stable.

FanofMonaco said:
She's had it about a year but it is very young. I think about 8 years old. She has just started competing with it this fall. Thierry was training it before that. I think it is originally from the Lady Forbes stable.

:/ that explains the slightly better than usual results. (not that they're great, just better than she's done recently on her other horses)

Cartier must have paid her way the to UAE. Look at the bling on her left hand.

Actually, she has been wearing that ring on her left hand for quite a while...it's why I believe she is quietly engaged to marry Alex Dellal.

She has two rings. They don't look like engagement rings to me. Well, i can't see it very well.
Would be so cool to see her getting married, but i'm guessing her wedding would be private.

How did she came in this last jumping?

Well, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same when we are talking about rings.
Nathalie, when you say they don't look like engagement rings it is because you're expecting something like Catherine's ring, that sort of rings that comes with the famous question, isn't it?
Well, to me Charlotte wearing that ring seems pretty normal and means another thing:
It varies from culture to culture, and I don't know if this is used in other countries of Europe but here in Portugal if a couple is dating for some years and if their relationship is serious, couples wear a ring that looks more like a wedding band. It doesn't mean they are engaged to marry, ie, he hasn't asked her yet and so no engagement ring like Catherine's yet. It only means they are serious. After some years of relationship, when the couple finally feels ready to marry, he asks the famous question and so there is an engagement ring!!!

As I said, that's how it is in Portugal and I'm not sure if it is the same in other countries. Maybe people from France and Italy can explain us how it is there, but I think it must something similar to Portugal because I've noticed that not only Charlotte, but also Tatiana and Beatrice wear a similiar ring/band.( Andrea, Alex and Pierre don't so maybe men don't wear it in their countries.) That's why I think their rings are the sort of ring I talked about. That would mean Charlotte is serious with Alex, as Tatiana and Beatrice are serious with Andrea and Pierre, but they haven't decided to marry yet

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom