The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Changes in trainers happen all the time, especially if the results of the previous trainer have been less than stellar. Sometimes it's just not a match...either horse or trainer wise, no offense no foul. Though I myself have had the same group of trainers (Leslie Burr-Howard, Molly Ashe-Cawley) for 20 years. But it is,for me, a great fit and I consider them to be my dearest friends. No matter what the issues are with my present horses at the time, I know that Molly and Leslie will sort it out in a kind and sympathetic way (leaving aside the 2 Olympic medals, a World Championship and 2 American Invitational wins).

Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 AM

A possible replacement for trainer of Charlotte? What about Jean-Maurice Bonneau? He is already the head trainer for Athina & Doda, and he's a good friend of Thierry.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Serene Highness

I think there is a competition at Bois le Roi next week. Wonder if Charlotte will be there? Or if she will go to New York with PC to the PG Foundation dinner? Also saw that Virginie Couperie was at the Rome Film Festival with her. Isn't she the horse breeder?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
Oh, and I found this: curie Atarson
This is the stable where Charlotte trains.
That place seems like about halfway between Monaco and Cannes.

I figured she had a place to train that's near Monaco, because that Vogue article mentioned that she was doing her regular training session at a stables near Monaco, at the time of the interview. I kind of had this idea of her training at some place like San Remo.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Serene Highness

The Vogue article said she was at Roquefort les Pins. It looked like the same lady that owned the stables at Juan les Pins. Maybe the owner moved her stables to a lower cost area. She specializes in dressage. Charlotte seems to use several stables on the Riviera.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Changes in trainers happen all the time, especially if the results of the previous trainer have been less than stellar. Sometimes it's just not a match...either horse or trainer wise, no offense no foul. Though I myself have had the same group of trainers (Leslie Burr-Howard, Molly Ashe-Cawley) for 20 years. But it is,for me, a great fit and I consider them to be my dearest friends. No matter what the issues are with my present horses at the time, I know that Molly and Leslie will sort it out in a kind and sympathetic way (leaving aside the 2 Olympic medals, a World Championship and 2 American Invitational wins).
WOW - you are getting the best instruction - lucky you!! I wonder if Charlotte can have outside, specialized, training at another farm (much like we could here thru someone like George Morris, etc) - if that is possible, or if someone at her level is contractually obligated to a certain barn and trainer.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Can you train with somebody who is a friend of yours? I always find that so uncomfortable.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, they were not 'friends' (but my heros) when I first came to them 20 years ago but now they are. But if Molly were to tell me to jump down off the roof of the indoor arena, I would take a breath and kick.

I feel sure that Charlotte can have whomever she would like to help her, regardless of nationality. About 15 years ago Martha Louise rode with us for the winter season in Florida. She was lovely and unpretentious....not an entourage in sight.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Serene Highness

American riders: Do one of the US Olympic training centers offer specialized training for horsejumping?If so, that would be a great place for Charlotte to train for a few months. If they let non citizens train there. Surely they would let one of the Kelly clan go there.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Of course. Our center is www.burrassociates.com . As I said earlier, we had Princess Martha Louise a few years back. At a center like ours, she would have the ability to train with Olympic gold medalist and world champions. We also have exact replicas of some of the most notoriously difficult jumps like the Hampton Classic Bank, the Spruce Meadows Devil's Dyke, etc so that when you get to the horse show, you have already practiced over those jumps at home and they are no longer 'trappy'.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

This looks like an excellent facility, but it is not associated with the Olympics. I'm thinking of the official training centers like the ones at Lake Placid, Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City. In addition to regular training they analyze movements by computer and may use computer simulators. They attack sports like NASA. I don't know if they handle all sports or just certain ones like track, swimming and figure skating.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

That's an interesting question FanofMonaco - I'm not a rider at the level of Scooter (more pleasure hacks, etc), but maybe she knows of such a facility. I guess what could be reviewed would be the horse's "soundness" for eventing, jumping, dressage, because coming up to/clearing jumps is about counting steps and making split decisions in the moment. Track designs change all year long, and are designed by different people, so you can't get used to any particular course (talking about hunt-seat/jumping & eventing).
Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
This looks like an excellent facility, but it is not associated with the Olympics. I'm thinking of the official training centers like the ones at Lake Placid, Colorado Springs and Salt Lake City. In addition to regular training they analyze movements by computer and may use computer simulators. They attack sports like NASA. I don't know if they handle all sports or just certain ones like track, swimming and figure skating.
In the US, there is no such thing as 'associated with the Olympics'. The USET maintains a facility in Kentucky (formerly in Gladstone NJ), but there is no 'official' training facility limited only to the Olympics. Individual Olympians as well as hopefuls of a Grand Prix level have their own training facility, such as ours. Lake Placid is the site of a 2 week A3 rated horse show in early July. Lake Placid was twice the site of the winter olympic games, but it has no affliation with the summer games. While the Olympics are certainly on every top GP rider's radar, so are the World Eqestrian Games, the World Cup, the European Championships, Spruce Meadows and the Winter Equestrian Festival culminating in the American Invitational are all equally on the radar. All extremely prestigious and have a big purse.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Nobility

Charlotte will be competing at Bois le Roi tomorrow, in 1,25 with Troy and 1,35 with Tintero

http://www.jump-results.com/OPEN/bois10.htm
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the info Scooter. Is the Kentucky site where they just had the FEI World Championships?

Charlotte may get to compete with some of the professionals like Phillipe Rozier and Daniel Duesser. I guess they are working some of their younger horses or looking for some easy money.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, at the Kentucky Horse Park. I am not sure how the selection for the national team goes for Monaco. Here, there was famously a very rich and quite sucessful 'amateur' (which in those days everyone had to be to be elegible) named Debbie Dolan who sued the USET when she was left off the Olympic Team, which has led to the present system of several objective trials for the team along with one or two 'byes' for someone who has had consistant dominance in the sport, but has been temporarily laid up and cant do the trials, such as Margie Goldstein-Engle (when she broke her leg 3 weeks before the trials). However, in between Olympic years, it is more along the lines of...USET needs to field 2 teams to Europe for Dublin, Hickstead, Aachen, Rome, Maastricht, etc. The USET will ask a certain rider and owner to commit to that part of the tour with X horse, with Y horse as back up in case of injury. But one really needs to be consistantly at the top 5 of the leader board GP after GP to be on the short list. I think Charlotte could improve 'her game' tremendously by going to train with a serious mentor for her. But Carlotte needs to be serious, rather than recreational herself first. Or perhaps she is not as dedicated/driven. She may just want to go horseshowing with her string. Nothing wrong with that....just because her family 'has a country'....JMO.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Mi horse was born in Kentucky
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

My best one ever...American TB, which you dont see so much any more, was of the Man o War bloodline by way of Hoist the Flag, born and raised in the Bluegrass. But true that bloodline, he was a lightning fast maneater...Bit, kicked, broke the cross ties when the girth touched his belly. But boy he was The Winner.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Courtier

Another Kentucky TB here! He has Secretariat, Native Dancer, and of course, Northern Dancer.
He bites, he kicks, he bucks, he's the terror of every farrier around. He actually sent a man to the hospital by catching him by the waist and lifting him on the air.
But when he is in the ring!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

So I see you guys have a thing for race horses. My favorite one though, was Seabiscuit. Horse with a will to fight and succeed, those are golden.

My horse is Dutch Warmblood. Never anything else for me. If I'm not mistaken, one of Charlotte's horses is a Dutch Warmblood aswell. Was it G.I Joe? I tend to forget names when I need them.