Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
American jockeys are tiny. British ones too, as far as I've seen.

I noticed that she got her passport stamped in those airport pics. If she was traveling to someone in the EU, there would have been no passport stamp. No need for that inside the EU. So I don't know.... She definitely was at the passport booth. I read the sign.

She did go to the passport booth but that happens in France. When you fly into or out of France you go through the passport booth. Even if you are flying to another EU country they still take your passport and scan it.

American jockeys are tiny. British ones too, as far as I've seen.

About the brits... some of them are tiny. Many aren't. I can think of several british jockeys over 1'70 and even over 1'75: Richard Hugues, Ryan Moore, Lester Piggot...
Charlotte is in no way too tall to be a jockey and she is athletic enough. But anyway she obvioulsy isn't interested in flat races, and the job is too hard and demanding, much more than being a jumper.

Hope we get more pictures because that one isn't very generous!

Charlotte only rode in 1 event on Saturday and was eliminated. She didn't start on Friday or Sunday. I hope she didn't get hurt. Thierry and someone named Michel Grun rode her other 2 horses on Saturday. Valentine was there also and got a 1st and 7th place.

Charlotte only rode in 1 event on Saturday and was eliminated. She didn't start on Friday or Sunday. I hope she didn't get hurt. Thierry and someone named Michel Grun rode her other 2 horses on Saturday. Valentine was there also and got a 1st and 7th place.
Wow Valentine. 1st and 7th out of how many places..??

Valentine came in 7/45 at 1.25m PRO 3 and 1/34 1.30m Pro 2. Both times she was on Clark.

Ok. Thanks, Frenchy, for the passport info. Since she didn't compete Friday, that must have been her traveling day. Maybe she got her passport stamped to go to London and drop her stuff off or do whatever she needed to do, then she got on the Eurostar (guessing) and off to Liverdy via Paris to compete on Saturday. But she got eliminated, so didn't qualify for the jumps on Sunday, or as Fan suggested, got hurt or something. We hope, obviously, she just didn't qualify. Charlotte's forbidden to get hurt by us, right? We forbid such things! She is allowed to not qualify, but she is absolutely not allowed to get hurt!!!!! :)

Gucci will be represented by a rider during the Olympic Games! It won't be Charlotte, but her "friend " Edwina Alexander who will be dressed from head to toe by the luxuous brand. The proof, here (but in french): Gucci habille Edwina Alexander pour les J.O. d’équitation
Bien joué Gucci!! Charlotte for the glamour, for her fame due to her family, and Edwina Alexander as a more professional ambassador...
Go Edwina, go! With such a sponsor, you have to win a medal!

Unlikely she'll win a medal, the jumping circuit is tight. But good for them! So Charlotte will probably be seen supporting Edwina and Gucci.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Rerehh!! Looking at the video, it seems that Charlotte is not the one to decide, her horse seems to constantly fight with her, wich leads them to the final refusal (I don't know if this is the word to say "refus"). I'm very surprised because she desn't seem to have the high level described in the magazines. She's not bad, of course, but she has to improve. I don't want to open again the same discussion, but maybe less parties would help her to train more, and to ride better...

Thanks for all the photos rerehh. I love her jacket there!

She is riding a new horse. Troy has a brown tail. Maybe it is Madison D'Olgy that she rode last year at San Remo for the first time. She's been mourning, not partying the last two weeks. I would cut her some slack this time.

Last edited:
Of course she has been mourning, I know it and I respect it. But I don't think that her jumps today are simply the result of her mourning. I don't want to criticize her, I just gave my mind after having watched the video, that's all. I'll be very happy to be wrong and to admire her in a future competition! And maybe she's not been very good today, maybe because she's been in mourning for two weeks, of course, but I have to admit that she is not bad. :)

I agree that the media has been overhyping her. They make it sound like she is riding at 5* level when she has been riding at 1 and 2* level. Maybe they don't understand the sport. I didn't understand how it worked at all until I started following Charlotte and the GCT. I'm hooked now. It's a beautiful sport to watch. I can see that she is improving each year but has a long ways to go. My complaint is that people expect much more from her than they would from an unknown. Jumping is a matter of the number of hours ridden over the years and Charlotte just doesn't have those hours yet. Very few riders at the top level are in their 20s. The few that are are in their late 20s.

I totally agree with you! I practicised this sport during 15 years, I know how difficult it is. I was just surprised by the gap between descriptions of Charlotte in magazines, and the reality.
I've just looked at some pictures of her come back in Barbizon and waw!! It was such a catastrophe!! She has improved a lot, and she has time to improve more.
Medias should stop telling she's one of the best riders of the world, it's ridiculous... They really say nothing and every thing to sell newspapers!
And I just wanted to add that I think she's very courageous to keep on competiting after her aunt's death. She looked very moved, and maybe it's a way for her to forget her pain.

Charlotte is a good rider, but she is said to have the Olympic Games as her eventual goal and definitely needs to improve. If it is true that she spends four hours a day in the saddle, I have to admire that type of single minded determination. :)

And just like FanOfMonaco, I am hooked on this sport...it is BEAUTIFUL to watch!

It looks like she now has 6 horses. If she isn't riding 6 hrs a day she is working her way up to that point. I wish there was more coverage in the US. We're more of a rodeo country; at least in the midwest.

I totally agree with you! I practicised this sport during 15 years, I know how difficult it is. I was just surprised by the gap between descriptions of Charlotte in magazines, and the reality.
I've just looked at some pictures of her come back in Barbizon and waw!! It was such a catastrophe!! She has improved a lot, and she has time to improve more.
Medias should stop telling she's one of the best riders of the world, it's ridiculous... They really say nothing and every thing to sell newspapers!
And I just wanted to add that I think she's very courageous to keep on competiting after her aunt's death. She looked very moved, and maybe it's a way for her to forget her pain.
Paper magazines are always exaggarated.

charlotte is working with some new horses so she is having a lot of work to do, to gain their trust. This will take a long time. This year is going to be one of transition for her, so her results are probably going to be all over the map. It will be a year of hard work and not so many prizes. New horses, lots of work, little prize. But if she truly loves doing this, she can't be doing it for the prize anyway. It must be a labor of love. :)

Yes, Athina is riding the white horse. Well, "grey." AD Uceline is that horse.

looks like Edwina, so easy to distinguish with the Gucci logo, is riding.... looks like GI Joe! And it looks like Edwina won... ? 2nd place?

I love this relaxed, happy, natural Charlotte we see in that video. She jokes around with Edwina and pets the horse like an old friend. I wonder if this is GI Joe.... It would make perfect sense. Edwina's beau is GI Joe's owner. :)

Last edited:
Nice to see her smiling like that! What I thought while watching the video was "Poor Charlotte, she only gives prices to winners." It must be difficult for her, she never wins, always gives prices to other ones.
As CT said, she must be working a lot this year. I hope that next year, we'll see a video of her on her horse, holding a price in her hand, and smiling proudly! :)

About the brits... some of them are tiny. Many aren't. I can think of several british jockeys over 1'70 and even over 1'75: Richard Hugues, Ryan Moore, Lester Piggot...
Charlotte is in no way too tall to be a jockey and she is athletic enough. But anyway she obvioulsy isn't interested in flat races, and the job is too hard and demanding, much more than being a jumper.

There are so many knowledgeable equestrians among you, can you tell me what different skills, as per being in control of your horse, are needed for a flat race as opposed to jumping? Why is the flat race harder and more demanding?

Nice to see her smiling like that! What I thought while watching the video was "Poor Charlotte, she only gives prices to winners." It must be difficult for her, she never wins, always gives prices to other ones.
As CT said, she must be working a lot this year. I hope that next year, we'll see a video of her on her horse, holding a price in her hand, and smiling proudly! :)

I think graciousness in defeat is a TRUE sign of breeding, which Charlotte seems to have in droves.

She does not seem to be one of those tiresome "winning is everything" types, I think she takes sheer enjoyment out of horses and the sport itself!

Pacha III has been docked at San Remo for over a week. I wonder if Charlotte is staying on her mom's boat? I've heard of athletes traveling in RVs, but this is a whole new level. Maybe PC is on some R and R.

Last edited:
There are so many knowledgeable equestrians among you, can you tell me what different skills, as per being in control of your horse, are needed for a flat race as opposed to jumping? Why is the flat race harder and more demanding?

Hi, iloveroyals, I'll try to explain it easy and quick!
Racing is not more difficult than show-jumping just much more demanding from an athletic/fitness point of view. Both disciplines are difficult and I personaly love them both, but although technique is important in both, you could say that racing is more physically demanding and show-jumping is more technical.

For instance, a jockey doesn't sit on the horse. He wears his stirrups very short and stands on them the whole time.

http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=...&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0&biw=1366&bih=576

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ygReC7Senqk/TNhyKbjtY4I/AAAAAAAAL-I/8Ff_77MqLy4/S240/_MG_8287_1+bis.jpg

Just to hold that position for a while is tiring. Also, the horses are not as under control as jumpers, they haven't learn to control their strengh and listen to the rider the same way, but most of all the last metres of any flat race require a lot os strenght ans stamina to be able to push your horse to the finishing line:
http://www.zone-turf.fr/images/200936/soumillon-darya.jpg
You really need to be fit and athletic, while show-jumpers come in all sizes and shapes and may even be slightly overweight.

One of the consequences of this is that while in show-jumping women ride at the same level than men and many of the 1st rank riders in the world are women and the win as many prizes as men do, in flat races the best are always men.
Men and women compete together in the same races, mind you, and you will find that many races are won by women, but at the real top level the're all of them men. I don't know if any woman as won a really important race somewhere in the world (I don't really follow the american races), but I don't think it's ever happened in europe. they usually don't even ride those kind of 1st class races, because even is you are a fantastic rider who understands horses and feels races and everthing, stamina and strengh are still much more important than in any other equestrian sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
trepstrep, thank you for your brilliant explanation, with pictures so gripping you can't miss how crucial powerful abs and thighs are. I now understand why which horse Charlotte rides when she competes in jumping is so important, the special relationship she has established with each making a real difference.

Back
Top Bottom