The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieantoinette85 View Post
I ask for excuse, for the delay but I am in Portugal, with almost all the family to pass vacation, and the time to go to the internet is limited.

Hello

Perhaps the vacations carried through for CHAR. in Portugal, follow the Chantilly, had not been enough to come back the necessary concentration, and inteligence is necessary to this sport.

He looks like we have here an excellent professional in show jumping !!!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

It is not actually Concentration that Charlotte needs but more work and dedication for her riding. But as long as it is just a hobby, then okay. The problem would be, if she wanted to have an equestrian career.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

She wants to be a pro. But that means she needs to settle down in or near Paris in order to make that happen.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Serene Highness

Charlotte lives near Espace Rozier. She didn't ride for 4 years. Last summer she had 1 horse, this year 3 horses. I read that people start losing concentration after training 5 hrs in a day. Horses apparently can only handle 1 hr per day. It looks to me like Charlotte is building up to 5 horses. Madison D'Olgy may be her 4th horse. You don't go from not riding at all to 5 horses in a few months. You have to build up you muscles. I also read that it takes 10,000 hrs to master a skill. Even though Charlotte started jumping at a young age she didn't ride in the summer and may at most have practiced 1 to 2 hrs per day. I figure she probably only has about 2,500 hrs of riding so far. It will take her years to get to the CSI 5* level. If it were easy we would all be professional athletes. She knows what is involved. She has 3 generations of Olympians in her family. Talent is mostly a myth. It takes hard work,discipline, attention to detail and the willingness to take risks that makes people successful. Charlotte isn't thought of as a professional because she hasn't earned that right, yet. Only time will tell what she is capable of. I think she is headed in the right direction. I do agree that she needs to be more focused. She can't be flitting from London to Monaco to Bois le Roi all the time. She needs to decide what her priorty is. If she is really serious, I think Alex will be gone soon.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Courtier

Mmmm... no, talent is not a myth.
They are people who have it and people who don't. People who have something special with horses and people who don't.

Of course, talent without work won't lead you anywhere. In order to be a top sportsman you need both. You don't become Valentino Rossi, Andrés Iniesta, Rafael Nadal or Michael Phelps simply because you work hard. You had tons of talent other people didn't have to start with or nearly every hard-worker would be at your same level.

Since horseriding is a very expensive sport, to become a CSI***** rider you need one more factor. It's talent + work + money.
And since money buys you the horse, and the horse is 70% of the team, any mediocre or even bad rider can reach Charlotte's level if she has the money to buy those horses, or is famous enough/has enough conections to get the owners of the horses lend them to her.

You can earn money, you can work hard, but talent you can't buy. A rider with a hard hand or a bad speed-space vision can work on it and can improve, and become better, but will never excell, because around her, people with those inborn talents are also working hard.

Imo, jumping riders are divided in 3 groups, and this aplies for every level, from 0'60 jumpers who are just starting, to big stars.

1. Jumpers who usually detract from their horses, bothering them and getting worst results with them than they should
2. Jumpers who simply don't bother the horse and are correct.
3. Jumpers who magically improve the horse, helping it do to things. These are very few and the ones with real talent.

Although I could be wrong, IMHO, from what I've seen from her on video, Charlotte belongs to the 1st category, that's why I dont' think she will never be a top rider.

Also, when she says that she wants to be considered a professional while we know she doesn't train enough to even try to be one, we also seem to forget that, at the end of the day, she is nothing but a rich kid used to have everything she wants, but she doesn't seem to be able to understand that when money is not the issue she is just one of the pack.

It happened with her studies. She tried de ENS and when she failed a first time, she just stopped trying, and didn't even finished her studies.

The she tried to be a journalist and instead to study towards it she started working and writing for one of the most prestigious journals in the UK, and she even was allowed to sign an article! She didn't work for it and as a result she didn't learn any real skills, just have a look at that really bad interview she did for the art magazine she and alex friends have online.

Now, she's decided to be a rider, but instead of working near home and taking part in more modest competitions, she rides de GCT and claims she wants to be seen as a pro.

From my point of view, that girl doesn't live in the real world, and who could blame her?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Royal Highness

And one thing that could help is move onto a new coach. A new coach can learn you new things. Young riders often go to training weeks at various pro's because they learn so much. And maybe, just maybe. It would be an idea to move out of France for a while and go to the Netherlands or Germany and go into training, become a groom at one of the top stables in that country. It learns you so much about how everything works in the equestrian sport. And she should jump in the national events, not go to Brazil because she won't get better out of that. Germany and the Netherlands have such good jumpers and riders, Charlotte would have enough to manage herself around them.

And one more thing: learn some more dressage. It's your basis and every serious jumping rider should be able to ride a the Z-level with ease. In my eyes atleast.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Serene Highness

Totally agree EmpressMerel - I think Charlotte will grow by receiving training, tips, and instruction from another coach. I've said before, I wonder if it's because of familial ties that she stays where she is, but I think her skills will remain stalled until she takes the next step. When I was young, I hated the Dressage and Western lessons, but now understand they were to help round out my English/hunter training. I also changed barns - started at one, by young teens was at another, then as an adult (and in college) riding w/another barn. A good barn will stretch your skills and get you out of your comfort zone (hence, adding Dressage and sometimes Western skills), so that you remain challenged - beyond adding different level horses. If the riders skills don't match the horses, it shows, as we've seen with Charlotte. Although, I think only top level riders do well with Stallions.....
Old 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Serene Highness

I actually think that Charlotte hasn;t decided what she want to "do" in her future and tries to "taste" some things, like journalist. \
Anyway, i agree with trepstrep.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Empress and Horsey make a great point about a new trainer. That would be a great step for Char if she decides to go pro, or at least go amateur to the tune of a Valentine or Athina or Marta.

But I also agree with Azure. I'm not convinced she has decided to go pro at all. I believe she *thinks* for now that she is doing this for the long haul, but I think there is a good possibility that this is only temporary and not a final career choice.

In the news from Rio, they had the vet check today. Also, the riders list is up and Charlotte is listed only with Tintero. Troy is not on the list at all, not on the riders or the horse lists. The riders of Char's level for this event are only allowed one horse though, because there is only one competition per day that Charlotte will be doing. It's surprising that the Amateur class does not have any prize money.

See timetable
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

Jan Tops is a Dutch rider, owner of one of her horses if I'm correct and he has stables in Valkenswaard there. It has the GCI there.
Or she could go to Mierlo (also a big jumping event every year there. My horse is near their stables actually) and train at Van der Vleuten, to train with Erik (Olympic rider not for nothing) and his son Michael. Michael and Charlotte are both in their twenties but Michael already jumped international Grand Prix at the age of 19.

There is just so many options and sure, her current trainer is a good rider and a good trainer, but changing up never hurt anyone. Every trainer has something new to offer to your style.

And besides, I don't think Charlotte realises that if she wants to be a pro, her social life will be nearly dead. It will be your life. That's why she should go into training and become a groom at a top rider. She will exactly realise how hard and how tough it is. You can't just show up and say you want to be a pro. And that is what frustrates me about Charlotte's ideas about her future. I have to work my ass off in order to give my horse the best care and tack and there she comes saying she wants to be seen as a pro. Has she ever mucked out 10 stables in one morning for the money? I guess not.

And I can't even hate her for it, because if any of us was her, we would do exactly the same. She doesn't know any better.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM

^Jan Tops doesn't own any of her horses, except GI Joe, and I don't know if GI Joe is any longer on Charlotte's team.

I agree with you, Empress. Charlotte would have to make this her life, but now it's just her hobby, or maybe a little more than a hobby, somewhere in between, but definitely not where she needs to be for a real pro. I figure it must be incredibly hard to be a real pro. Look at how much time Athina devotes to the sport, and still she is not a pro.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Royal Highness

It is really hard. I have met several people around the circuit who work with horses every day of their lives and said to me not to take them up as a fulltime job because I'd regret it. And really, I don't regret taking their advice. I can still enjoy my horse and have a decent job later, meet up with my friends and go to the cinema. But that is personal preference. Some of my friends are going in the business fulltime but they really want it. It's just not cut out for everyone.

The stables I used to have my horse at, but not anymore because the owner retired and the stables are gone, was in the business for more than 40 years and only took one weekend off with his wife during all that time because his children made him do so. It's constant hard work that never stops. They say money never sleeps? Nor does the care for horses.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Nobility

If there is a thread where this is more correct, feel free to move it.

HRH Prince Albert at the GCT of the Netherlands, Valkenswaard Left to Right: HRH Prince Albert of Monaco, Jan Tops (Founder and President of GCT) and Mrs Tops (mother of Jan Tops). Valkenswaard 2010

http://i35.tinypic.com/afeueh.jpg
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 PM

Jan & Mama Tops

Tomorrow Charlotte's event starts at 1600, Rio time. I am thinking it's four hours ahead of California, and one hour ahead of New York, and two hours ahead of Chicago. Charlotte is the only non-Brazilian in her class tomorrow.

Class N1.1 - CSN Pamcary - Amateur Table A 1m20 against the clock - Rio de Janeiro 2010 - Results - Global Champions Tour
Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 PM

Clear Round and #3 (so far) for Charlotte and Tintero!

The CSN Pamcary Amateur class 1m20 is still happening so this is not her final result, but Charlotte has just now completed a CLEAR round (0 faults and excellent time of 75.21. Only 2 riders, both female have beat this time so far. Charlotte's current rank is #3. We'll see if someone beats that. We hope not!!!

EDIT: Down to Rank 8.. :( (seven riders to go)

Edit 2: but finally she is #9.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Rio Jumping pics at getty:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Courtier

Looks like she's riding Tintero with a pessoa bit now. Weird.
If I'm not mistaken she used to ride him with a simple snaffle bit and it didn't look as if she had control problems.

We'll see what it gives. 1'20 is too easy and low for Tintero to judge. Let's see if they try the 1'30 tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Royal Highness

It's a pessoa. It gives more pressure on the mouth corners and behind the ears, but then she should give the horse more space in it's neck and ride him rounder. Tintero is far too cramped up for my liking.

Again, she should learn some more dressage.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM

That is very surprising about the bit! I never would have guessed she would give Tintero a hard bit.
Is she using this one? I don't know about bits but remember reading that the straighter the bar of the bit (I don't know terms) means it's a harder bit. I might have that wrong, though.

Trep, they are doing 1m30 tonight at 20:00.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
That is very surprising about the bit! I never would have guessed she would give Tintero a hard bit.
Is she using this one? I don't know about bits but remember reading that the straighter the bar of the bit (I don't know terms) means it's a harder bit. I might have that wrong, though.

Trep, they are doing 1m30 tonight at 20:00.
It could be. The pessoa on your link is quite severe because the bars are very thin and twisted. She probably went for something softer, like this:
Pessoa Copper Roller Loose Ring Loose Ring Bits English HorseLoverZ.com

The pessoa is a bit specially designed for jumping. You don't do dressage work or every day work with it. It's used just for jumping and specially on competitions days.
Of course it is a harder bit than a thick simple snaffle bit but it is not one of the hardest you will see. Also, as most riders will tell you, hardness is not in the bit, but in the rider's hand. A very experienced light handed rider can use huge bits and be confortable for a horse, while hard hands can hurt a lot with soft bits.

As I rider I always work towards using the softest bit. Some times I've had to step up and use a harder one but as soon as I get results I try to go back to my beloved three pieces soft aurigan thick snaffle bit:
http://www.hannoverianridingwear.com...is-aurigan.htm

I've used a Pessoa more than once, though. If well used it can be of great help in showjumping. But I don't feel confortable with it. Since I am used to softer bits, the reaction of the horse to a small pull of the pessoa is too sudden for my taste and it makes more difficult for me to mantain an even galop rhythm and cadence .

I'm surprised to see Tintero with one, not because it is tremendoulsy hard but because for what I had seen on video Charlotte didn't seem to have control issues with him, but of course I've just seen a couple of tiny videos and I could be mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
It's a pessoa. It gives more pressure on the mouth corners and behind the ears, but then she should give the horse more space in it's neck and ride him rounder. Tintero is far too cramped up for my liking.

Again, she should learn some more dressage.
Agreed, but I don't think we should judge Charlotte's riding skills on those pictures. Tintero is completely "open" but we don't know if it was just a light warm-up to strech his muscles before real work, and in one of the pics it looks as if one of the warming-up obstacles fell down at his feet and the horse was scared.
She certainly knows how to ride "round" because we've seen her doing it.

Also, those pics weren't taken by a horse photographer but by a paparazzi who probably couldn't tell a shetland poney from a thoroughbred. He didn't know which were the goods pics and he probably uploaded that set simply because Charlotte's face was clearer and nicer.