Charlotte Casiraghi's equestrian career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually riding a horse in unnatural enough already.

Very true! But I try to be diplomatic...... We have many horse riders here, and this thread is about jumping, so I don't want to offend anyone.
I'm a spectator of equestrian sport, a guilt in itself. Personally, I think all of it deserves a review . I like organizations like Return to Freedom that try to rescue wild horses who have been captured by ranchers and Bureau of Land Mgmt and "return" them to the easy life of living off the land and roaming free. This is ideal for horses, imo. And I am opposed to the breeding of horses, because the breeding has gone out of control and now we have too much mutations that cause horses being born with all kinds of defects. So that's another topic: Athina and AD Sport Horses, and Charlotte and jumping. But again, I try to be diplomatic and open-minded. I'm not confrontational.

Every aspect of the equestrian sport has it's ''edgy'' training technique's. I mean, we all know rollkur is used far too much in both dressage and jumping.

Very true! But I try to be diplomatic...... We have many horse riders here, and this thread is about jumping, so I don't want to offend anyone.

Of course, casiraghitrio! I don't feel offended in the least!:flowers: Everey horse activity has is dark corners and it all depends on the ethics of every particular trainer, owner, rider... I just can't stand when jumpers or dresseurs talk or racing as if was cruel too horses when before I arrived into their world I wasn't even aware that things like rollkur, or the habit of putting electric wires over the poles to make the horse jump higher (I don't know how it is called in english) even existed.

Also, precisely today I had a very interesting conversation at the racetrack with two people who were just back from the US and I though that maybe there it was harder than over here. Appparently anabolic steroids, butazolidine and other drugs are authorized and freely used in the us racetracks, which is absolutely forbidden in europe (in horse racing. In jumping I've seen jumping horses full of hormones).
Of course, I am not being confrontational either, I don't mean you are cruel and we are not, I just thing that maybe things like that partly are what make you see horseracing as cruel?

^You guessed right on why the racing strikes me as a cruel sport. Also, I imagine that the grass makes a considerable difference to the impact on the joints. I can't understand why the Derby doesn't change, but I guess they just do it a certain way and cannot possibly consider another way.

Wow, I didn't know that hormones were widely used in jumping! This surprises me a lot. A few years ago, none other than Thierry Rozier got in big trouble for his horse testing positive for a drug. He got suspended and then he appealed it but the court maintained (though they did shorten) his suspension. He always denied that he knowingly used the drug, insisting that the horse "probably" got the drug from eating the common food or something. What do you think? When I read your post, I remembered this and thought, hmmm.... :ermm:

Thanks for posting I think she's so beautiful :p .

Back to current events: Charlotte participated in the Audi Masters/International Jumping de Brussels last weekend.

All the results: Results Audi Masters

More info.: AUDI MASTERS

Athina also there.

Ouch, Charlotte failed big time! She really should compete in more amateur levels, she just isn't ready for high level competition.

Last edited:
True. :sad: Well, the Gucci Masters starts today or tomorrow, right?

Pics of Char and Tintero from the Audi Masters website:

Last edited:
Have to admit that is the worst she has done on Tintero. Gucci Masters starts Friday I think.

Yeah, The Gucci Masters will commence tomorrow. But here is some news already.

Remember that Charlotte was asked by Virginie Couperie-Eiffel to do something similar to what she did with the Pro-Am Cup in Monaco.

As with the Pro-Am Cup, there will be 10 teams of two riders, one professional, one amateur. The judges will be Nelson Pessoa, Marcel Rozier, and Jean Rochefort. It is called "Style et competition" (5*/2* class) and will take place @ 17:15 Saturday. 60% of the money will be for the benefit of AMADE.

There are 3 classes of riders for this event this year. Charlotte is in the 1* class. She is engaged to jump GI Joe and Tintero.

Charlotte's schedule for the weekend:
Friday: Prix Artemide, 1m25
Saturday: Prix EADS and "Style et Competition", both 1m25
Sunday: 1* Grand Prix Eurodocument, 1m25

Last edited:
I wonder if Charlotte performs better when it's a charity benefit, and not a competition - maybe, she gets nervous:sad:, which translates to the horse.....

Well, 1'25 looks like a high she could more or less handle.
And one year ago Tintero would have done it with no faults and his eyes closed.

Let's hope that he isn't too scared to jump after all the bad experiences he's suffered and he can help Charlotte get a decent result.

Last edited:
^You yanked the words right outta my head, Trep. :cool:

Results Gucci Masters - Prix ARTEMIDE

Tintero got placed 11th, Troy got 16th place. Out of 35 total. That link doesn't show fault points.

Troy's owner is listed as Felber Urs (Urs Felber). That's new.

Last edited:
At Brussels, Lyon and here the 2* is really a 2-4*. That's why Charlotte had more trouble with the 2* events. Today she is jumping 1* and did fine. Athina did 2* and finished in the middle. Timothy Ancenee? finished 1st in 2* and he is a 5* competitor. It's not the height that bothers Charlotte, it's the fence placement and speed. She jumped Tintero 1.75m in the 6 bar competition in Lyon ( you jump 6 fences in a row).

Last edited:
^Fan, it's impossible that she ever jumped a 1.75 m fence because that is even higher than the Olympic 1m60. I doubt Charlotte ever jumped a fence that high in her life. Or even close to it. I don't think she ever jumped higher than 1m40, max. :ROFLMAO:

Nice pics, rere. I wondered about the faults. Because you couldn't see any faults for anyone. That's great that she got 0.

It was Bois le Roi, not Lyon on 11/6/2010. The 6 bar is a height competition. She jumped clear the first round at 1.55m, clear the second round at 1.65 and had 4 faults at 1.75 in the 3rd round. The winner won at 2 meters. She came in 12/24. I was surprised also. This is very different from regular show jumping. It is 6 fences lined up an equal distance apart. I think if you get a fault you're out.

Last edited:
Wow! That's a big fence! I don't think I've ever seen a 1m75! :ohmy::lol:

A good example of 6 bar is on youtube under 2007 6 bar competition.

Thanks, Empress, for the neato videos.

Respecting the Gucci Masters...... what we can expect for Saturday.....

Charlotte & Troy will be the 11th to participate in the Prix EADS, with 1m25 obstacles. Charlotte and Tintero will be 39th, aka 'last' to go. This will begin @ 11:45 am paris (GMT + 1) time. These places are just for the starter list. Not the results.

As I'm typing this post, it's almost 10min to 8AM in Paris.

The Pro-Am Cup-Style et Competition (conceptualized by Charlotte) will commence @ 1700 (5pm).

It was Bois le Roi, not Lyon on 11/6/2010. The 6 bar is a height competition. She jumped clear the first round at 1.55m, clear the second round at 1.65 and had 4 faults at 1.75 in the 3rd round. The winner won at 2 meters. She came in 12/24. I was surprised also. This is very different from regular show jumping. It is 6 fences lined up an equal distance apart. I think if you get a fault you're out.
Yes, this is correct. My coach won the 6 bar at Spruce Meadows a few years ago at 2meter. The really impressive part is she was on a stallion only 14.3 hands (one inch over pony size) called Nick of Diamonds. When he came to the jump, all you could see was the tops of his ears over the jump. The 6 bar is set up so that you jump, take one stride, jump, take one stride, jump, etc all in a row.

Maybe my question seem stupid but how good is that high jumping for horses? I mean, for their legs.

That's not a stupid question at all. I wondered the same thing. I bet it's not good. I don't think any of it is "good" for the horses. It is really a sport for the delight of humans, isn't it? :ermm:

About the Gucci Masters, on the website, Charlotte was headline news today for her fourth place in the prix EADS. Any excuse to promote her promoting Gucci, I suppose. ;)

Here is the startlist for the Pro-Am cup that starts in like 40 min.
Startlist Gucci Masters - EPREUVE STYLE ET COMPETITION
Looks like it's Char with Edwina again, and Martina Hingis paired with Rodrigo Pessoa. There is no Doda this time. It would have been "neat" for Doda and Athina to sign up together. Or is Athina considered pro too? I am not sure about that. Is Athina amateur or pro?

She's kind of in the middle. I think she mainly jumps 3*, but has jumped some 5*; the top level.

Yes, their joints must hurt too much due to the jumping. I saw the vids that Empress Merel posted and i was surprised, but then i thought of the horses and their daily pressure for having to jump those high fences. I don't believe they want it or they are capable for this, they have to do it for the need of this sport. Even if they are trained from a young age, i think it is painful for them.

Back
Top Bottom