The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, Thierry is, as we say in America, a big name trainer. I find it interesting that she has never trained in Germany or Holland, where there are many to choose from. Perhaps the family prefers to have her close by.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Well, Thierry is, as we say in America, a big name trainer. I find it interesting that she has never trained in Germany or Holland, where there are many to choose from. Perhaps the family prefers to have her close by.
Well, unless she's truly going professional, or for the Olympics, it may not be worth the investment (not that they can't afford it); or, maybe there is a political or long-standing relationship they have w/Thierry, and it wouldn't go over well to replace him.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I cant imagine Thierry is dramatically less expensive than say Ludger Beerbaum. Once you're at that level, they are all around the same price point.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I cant imagine Thierry is dramatically less expensive than say Ludger Beerbaum. Once you're at that level, they are all around the same price point.
Probably true - then, you're looking at political or familial relations and whether it would damage relationships to switch coaches....politics are everywhere - well represented in the equestrian world!!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Courtier

I wouldn't see the point in Charlotte moving to germany to train with anyone.
She's not a pro. She's not even that good as an amateur (specially considering the money she has at her disposal. money that allows her to have the best trainers and brilliant horses)
GI-Joe is an experienced 11 year old gelding. He has been running at 3 stars CSIs in Italy, and he had very good results at 1'45 m. And Charlotte doesn't even get good results with him at 1'20 m.
She's nothing more than an amateur with a lot of money, big trainer and expensive and brilliant horse, but even among amateurs she is a rather mediocre rider.
I know plenty of people with cheap horses, cheap trainers and a 40 h/week jobs who do much better than her.
I'm not attacking her, mind you, she is under no obligation to be a brilliant horse woman, and she is very talented in other fields, like academics...

But it would had made no sense for her to go abroad to train since she's not specially talented (with her economical means and horse relationships, I think that it is even safe to say that her equestrian talents are bellow average. most riders in her place would do much better).

Actually, it is a little bit absurd to see her travelling around the world with the globalchampionstour . Most of the amateurs compiting there are local riders. In valencia most of them were spaniards; in Brasil, brazilians; in france, french... It would make much more sense for her to stay home and enter some show at Fontainebleau, Barbizon, and such, where she would be competing with other amateurs like her, than following the globalchampionstour from one country to another. It was natural for her to compete in Monaco and Cannes, with other amateur french riders. But travelling everywhere with the tour like the pros... well, I'm sorry but she's making a little bit of a fool of herself...
I hope she at least has the sense not to travel to Qatar.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
I wouldn't see the point in Charlotte moving to germany to train with anyone.
She's not a pro. She's not even that good as an amateur (specially considering the money she has at her disposal. money that allows her to have the best trainers and brilliant horses)
First thanks for the info on G.I. Joe. So he's a former eventer. Makes sense. I like him enormously. Your points are well taken on all fronts, but consider that her Uncle Albert may be pushing her because he wants a Monaco athlete. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought she gave up riding for a number of years. If she is just starting back, this was really pushing the envelope and it showed. I don't think she's a bad rider but inexperienced. She should not have been jumping the height she was doing for her first year back.

Also if Joe is an eventer, they are not as sharp in the ring. Right now in the US many event riders are turning to their show jumping counterparts for help. My daughter's coach is currently helping an Olympic eventer sharpen some of his up and coming event horses. The show jumping riders are seeking out the dressage riders to sharpen the flexibility etc. Anyway, Charlotte was jumping higher than she was ready for. I felt sorry for her. I also noticed that she doesn't own any of her last few mounts. So she must lease them. Either this is a temporary commitment or she hasn't found the right horse. JMO
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Well, the Roziers have their espace right there in Bois le Roi, so near to the manor where Charlotte spent her teen years, at least the schooldays.
So you can see how the Roziers would be an obvious choice, from convenience, from friendship. And Thierry was once a great jumper, I think, in his 'heyday'. Didn't he have a major injury that prevents him from achieving that height again? I know he still does the sport but he's not what he used to be.

I agree with Treptrep but there is one thing she forgets! Charlotte is not trying to be "like the champions"! I watched her interview and I have the impression she means mostly to be an ambassador for the sport, which involves participation, and of course she wants to put her best foot forward. I don't think she looks foolish. I think she knows she is not Rodrigo Pessoa or Meredith BB! Please! She knows her limitations, but she has a passion for the sport and she is uniquely situated to be a good ambassador for it. If she has fun and tries her best, I don't understand where is the problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Well, the Roziers have their espace right there in Bois le Roi, so near to the manor where Charlotte spent her teen years, at least the schooldays.
So you can see how the Roziers would be an obvious choice, from convenience, from friendship. And Thierry was once a great jumper, I think, in his 'heyday'. Didn't he have a major injury that prevents him from achieving that height again? I know he still does the sport but he's not what he used to be.

I agree with Treptrep but there is one thing she forgets! Charlotte is not trying to be "like the champions"! I watched her interview and I have the impression she means mostly to be an ambassador for the sport, which involves participation, and of course she wants to put her best foot forward. I don't think she looks foolish. I think she knows she is not Rodrigo Pessoa or Meredith BB! Please! She knows her limitations, but she has a passion for the sport and she is uniquely situated to be a good ambassador for it. If she has fun and tries her best, I don't understand where is the problem.
I agree - she's not trying to go pro, she's just enjoying the sport, competing, and representing Monaco as an equestrian ambassador....
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM

^I just feel that Charlotte seems to like the sport for itself and not for the competition and trying to be the best rider ever. One can argue, well, then let her jump for fun and stay away from the GCT, but that takes away the role Albert seems to be carving out for her. It would be one thing to be like Infanta Pilar or Elena and just hand out the trophies, but I guess it presents a good impression for Monaco's rep to be actually involved. It's like hands-on ambassadorship, I guess. "I'm not just a mannequin. I actually enjoy this and am here because I want to be here."
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Serene Highness

Right - she's not trying to train for the Olympics like Zara Phillips, or anything - she's devoted her life to riding. Charlotte has attending university, and has had professional internships - I think riding (like for her mother) will be more for recreational purposes than professional accomplishments.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Courtier

Charlotte seems to be trying to make writing her true profession. I think riding was always fun for her, and the way she is/looks at horses I think she really loves them. But I don't think she ever intended to go to the olympics or be a professional athlete. She's got that magazine she's writing for, and that could just be a hobby as well, but I think that may be where her true passion lies. Or maybe not.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Hi, Hibou, I think I didn't explain myself properly (my english is a bit rusty) but Gi Joe was not an eventer.
I think that maybe you misunderstood what I wrote about "3 stars CSIs". I meant 3 stars as in CSI*** (international jumping competition. category: 3 stars), not a 3 days event.
GI Joe has always been a showjumper.
I agree with you though, when you say that maybe the mistake was trying to go too quickly. After 4 years away from competition, it wasn't a good idea to start jumping so high...

In any case, I'm certain that Charlotte doesn't want to pretend she is a pro. She doesn't seem to be that pretentious! Maybe at the start of the season she though she had a better level, but now I am sure she knows where she stands, and she never stroke me as the pretentious type.
But precisely because of this, and because I don't think she thinks of herself as a top level amateur, it should be obvious for her that she is out of place in the Global Tour, because even if many welthy amateurs like her, take part in it when it comes near their homes, the don't follow the tour all around the world.

You may be right though when you say that maybe it is Albert's idea, and it is nothing more than a promocional thing. If that's the case it may be a good idea, of course... but otherwise if I were Charlotte I would stay home enter easier competitions.
Take Valentine's example. She is a much better rider than Charlotte but she doesn't follow the Globarl Tour around the world.

(oh, and I don't know if this has been published somewhere but i've read here Vanity Fair that Charlotte was trying to start her own women's magazine with a couple of friends last year, but that it finally didn't work out)
Old 11-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 20.11.2009

Charlotte takes part in a competition again!

Charlotte Casiraghi at the International Jumping competition in
Bois Le Roi, France, November 20, 2009.

So far no bigger pics, and as I don't know how long the rex link
will be available, I've made a little montage of some of the pics:

** Charlotte ** rex link **
Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Serene Highness

It appears she has a new horse....
Old 11-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, that's not GI Joe...
thanks for the pics rerehh
Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Talking Glistening Seas

Although Charlotte must miss GI JOE alot; This new one is gorgeous!! Does anyone know what the name for the new horse is. white horses are a favorite as well as the light brown with white mane's too !! this new one-- it's beautiful!! It appears this is one happy horse!!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would love to see Charlotte dressed in a flowing formal gown, bare backed on this horse in an open field of wild flowers at sunset for an offical photo......they make a beautiful pair!
Old 11-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

I agree, that new horse looks really great, very elegant and
majestic, so it's very photogenic, like in pic 2 and 5 for example.

Here are some additions:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, she looks so good in the last pic. I mean, the horse help her to look good. Is such a big, majestic, nice horse. I wonder his name...