The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
Before I had kids, I trained 2 horses for shows for the barn where I rode (not my personal horses). I would train 2 hrs for one, 2 hrs for the other - TIRED by the end of the day. I'm an intermediate rider, and the horses were both exprienced, used to the show ring, so they needed more of a "reminder" than stressful training to get them used to jumps, the ring, other horses, etc. I'm sure, at the professional level, they train many more hours on different horses (if they're to ride more than one during the event). I'd be interested to hear from more experienced riders, too.
I guess every country has different ways. I am an amateur myself, but I've worked both with professionals and amateurs and we never trained a horse for more than 1 hour. never knew of anyone who trained a horse for 2 hours. Of course, different trainers different methods, I guess.
And yes, professional ride many hours. Professional ride many horses daily, not only the 2 or 3 horses they take with them to the big tours. there is also the young horses, horses they test for a while, horses they try out for other people... It's very time consuming and you can't really be professional and have another life with another job. That's why most people who are passionate about horses remain as amateurs.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepstrep View Post
I guess every country has different ways. I am an amateur myself, but I've worked both with professionals and amateurs and we never trained a horse for more than 1 hour. never knew of anyone who trained a horse for 2 hours. Of course, different trainers different methods, I guess.
And yes, professional ride many hours. Professional ride many horses daily, not only the 2 or 3 horses they take with them to the big tours. there is also the young horses, horses they test for a while, horses they try out for other people... It's very time consuming and you can't really be professional and have another life with another job. That's why most people who are passionate about horses remain as amateurs.
To clarify - part of the training included pre-ring training which was either a trail ride or just less structured riding - then, once they were warmed up, we'd get into it. It was very time consuming, but I think experienced horses also get complacent, and need to a different approach to prep for shows.

Hey CasiraghiTrio or Trepstep - do you know whether Valentine is riding professionally? I know we talk about Athena so much, but for years we've not seen Charlotte w/Valentine, but heard that she'd gone on to college and/or riding more seriously....I know this is more a question for the Andrea/Char/Pierre and Friends link, but just curious if anyone has any knowledge of her whereabouts on the jumping circuit?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM

I feel sure Valentine is strictly an amateur rider, albeit, very good. Trep is saying that she rides on the French circuit. I haven't seen her name on any results online for a long time, but that could be due to her only being in the smaller events like trep says. I have the impression she is a full-time worker in something else entirely, like Marta. Her job title is General Manager for Quintessence in Paris, according to her linkedin profile.

Thanks for setting me straight on Marta, Trep. I assumed Michel Robert was her trainer, having seen many pictures of them working together, where it looked like he was coaching her. I believe that I was misled and that your information is accurate. I saw her name a lot on last year's GCT results and felt certain she was at the events in France as well as on the Iberian peninsula, but I won't swear to it. I am not sure there is a way to check either, because sometimes the GCT website takes out the lower-level results of past events and leave up only the big-prize results, probably to save space.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

Marta, Athena and Valentine are all 2 years older than Charlotte. Marta is ranked 1412 (out of about 1900 worldwide) She jumped at level 5 2 times last year and finished poorly. She mostly jumped at level 2 and 3 but it looks like she only competed a few times.

Valentine is currently ranked 566 and appears to only compete in the summer. She mostly competes at level 2 and 3.

I think Athena has an excellent chance of going to the Olympics. She is currently ranked 533 but is ranked no. 2 in Greece. She jumped level 5 several times and has had a couple good results at that level. I don't think Athena was concerned about how she placed last year. She was just working at getting to level 5.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Courtier

You can check the current rider rankings by clicking on Rolex Ranking, here:
DISCIPLINES - JUMPING - ROLEX RANKINGS
It's something to take into account but it does not give you a real clue about who's a better rider specially among amateurs because a rider who competes regularly gets more points than a better rider who doesn't compete much.
Also, I'm not sure what you mean about level 2, 3 or 5, FanofMonaco, Are you talking about the CSI stars? Because that has some importance but not much. You should pay more attention to the cm. every one of them is jumping and whether they are riding Grand Prix or not.

About Athina, she may be one of the best in Greece but I seriously doubt that she will manage to go to the Olympics. First, because Greece has a weak team and won't probably clasify, but more importantly because she's never run a Grand Prix and has never taken part in a top competiones. She's not bad for an amateur but still very far away from Olympic level.

CasiraghiTrio, about Marta, the truth is I'm not sure which shows of the GCT she entered. To tell the truth I don't really follow her. I just had a look at the GCT site, but maybe your info is better than mine. I'm pretty sure about Michel Robert, thought. They've worked together, and Robert has ridden Marta's horses but he is not her trainer (even although he maybe gave her counsel at some point).

Valentine is always an amateur. You probably know the video where she explains how horses are not her job, but only her passion.
It is a bit old (2008) but probably still valid since as CasiraghiTrio said, she is still managing her own company, Quintessence.

From the three of them, Valentine is the best by far. She's the only one who rides regularly Grand Prix and enters 1'50 competitions (and she even gets good results at them)
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why isn't Charlotte in this ranking? Because she has worst results than any of this riders?

PS: forget my question if her name is actually there. I didn't see it but there are so many names:;
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

They aren't going to say are they: and I am sure the horsey set have better things to do.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Here is a list I put together, for fun, and from curiosity. It is a list of some of the lady riders we've discussed so far, and others not discussed, and including Charlotte. You can compare their standings, or lack of standings. Here's the list: Ladies of FEI on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Trep, I think Athina has in fact done Grand Prix, but only started it this year. In Toscana she did the Gold Tour which was all GP, with fences no lower than 1m50. In Nantes this year she also did GP, and in Bordeaux, and most recently, last weekend in Modena. I think Athina might someday be at the Olympics. Probably not London, but maybe 2016. I think she is on a good course for it someday.

Yeah, I saw that Valentine video before, but while I can read French and understand it if a person speaks very slowly I can't understand her there. I like the sound of her voice though, and she's too cute.

I have something positive to say about Charlotte's riding!!!! I used to be very positive about her riding.... oh well, here it is: Last year, she rode mostly with that injured hand, and though her results mostly sucked, she didn't always do badly and regardless, with that injury, she deserves some credit. It's hard enough besides having a wrist bandage and probably a fair amount of pain. Which brings up something else....... She might have had to endure the pain during the competition, because if she took pain meds, it could have affected her riding. Most of them make you sleepy.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, when I said levels I meant CSI stars. I got it off the FEI web site. Don't you have to be riding at 2 stars to start earning points? Also, I thought that every country got to send at least 1 person and/or team to the Olympics as long as they were certified as capable of riding the course (from a safety point) eg. csi 5 stars and jumping 1.60 meters.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the info on Athina, CasiraghiTrio. I don't really follow her career that much so my info is probably outdated. I still don't think she will ever get to the Olympics (or at least in many years, the good thing about riding is that you can be olympic at age 60 )

Oh, and thanks for your flickr list! Just one little thing I wanted to say. I don't think it is very fair for Zara Phillips. She is by far the best of them all, yet the girl doesn't have any Rolex point because that ranking is only jor jumping riders and she is an eventer, not a jumper! I have no idea where to find the eventing ranking if their is one, though.

Valentine is cute on that video. She talks about the difficulties she had to face during the show (the wind knocked donw a big oxer before she took it), she talks about her horse, that doesn't belong to her but to a company called "Heckmann? international". She's been riding him for 3 years and talks about her relationship with him as a "big love story". They don't speak very slowly but during the last question you will probably catch the words "professional" and "passion", when the journalist ask her if she is a professional and she says, no, I have a different professional activity but riding is my passion.

I'm really not an expert on olympic requirements, and maybe someone else can explain it better, FanofMonaco, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work the way you say. Not every country has a rider. Only a handful of countries compete on the olympics and they have to classify first. Also, I believe (although I could be wrong here, please correct me if it is so) that individual riders are not classified, but "national teams" of 4 riders, so Greece would need 4 top level riders to classify to the Olympics.

About the stars, yes, they are usually a good way to know the level of the competion we are talking of, but with the exception of very good riders who take part in the smaller competions of the day because they need to train their young horses, a riders who rides Grand Prix at a CSI**is much better than a rider who does 1'10m at a CSI*****, like Charlotte.

And yes, Juliette, you got it right, that's why she isn't on the list. She is worst (or let's say less experienced) that all those other riders, and she doesn't have any points yet. But CasiraghiTrio is right. We've been really harsh on her. Let's wait and see how the season goes!

Hereditary Thane, what's your problem? Dou you think we permanently live on the internet and have nothing else to do than answer problems? You're stupid. And that's the last message from you I will be answering.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

Charlotte has never ridden in a 5 star competetion as a senior rider. 95% of the time she rode in 1 star. She rode 2 star in Valencia and Estoril only because there was no one star.

I also believe people are being very unfair about her riding. She started riding last spring after a 4 1/2 year hiatus with a new horse and then broke her hand. That's alot to deal with; even for a pro. In the fall she got what appears to be 2 Olympic caliber horses. She's done pretty well with Tintero. I started writing down her scores last fall for fun starting with Bois le Roi. 8 out of 36, 12/ 51, 19/80, 17/79, 7/27,13/86,23/110. I would be happy being in the top 1/3 to 1/4 after being back less than 1 year. I didn't write down all of her scores but that is the majority on Tintero. He looks smaller and probably the size she was used to riding. Troy looks much bigger and fiestier. It will take awhile to learn how to controll him.

Also, people were saying she didn't ride in France.She rode all winter in France. Marseilles, fontainebleau, paris, villeneuve-loubet, and maybe vidauban (They had 5 weeks just after the 3 weeks at v-l and there was absolutely nothing on the internet about it ;which makes me think she might have been there. (There were no photographs that she was at V-L until the final week-end) It would make sense. It's just a helicopter ride from Monaco.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM

^The only time Char rides in the 5* competitions are when she's doing a GCT event. Valencia, Estoril,etc. -- all GCT. Otherwise, indeed, she's 1-2*.
This year we know she has done Villeneuve Loubet, which is indeed practically outside Monaco, and there were other Monaco rider there too.

I agree the flickr list is unfair for Zara. It doesn't even make sense having her on the list. She belongs with her own kind, the eventing riders. I just put her there because she's a royal girl, or you know what I mean, royal relation. But I know it is stupid. No doubt about it, Zara has proven her salt. She's the best, practically Queen of the Sport.

Charlotte is definitely on the list to compete in Valencia. Marta there too. I think I saw Martina's name as well. I saw Doda on the list, but no Athina. That's odd.

Athina had a whole new tour this year. She & Doda have a new trainer, Jean-Maurice Bonneau, and it seems that Bonneau has put Athina on a whole new course of 3*'s in Italy to get her and her horses ready for the 5*'s. Mostly she's been trying to get to know Tomboy and get used to riding him. He's a champion horse but they haven't really had great results together so far. We'll see I guess. I hope she is at the GCT though. I don't know why she's not on the list.

Belay (most of) my last. Martina Hingis is not on the Valencia list. Athina is not on there either, but that can't be right. Charlotte is there; Doda, and Phil Rozier, and Michel Robert, Edwina Alexander, and Marta and Sergio.... The Full List courtesy of Oxersport.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Courtier

Interesting and weird list.
The CSI***** looks passionating but "normal" Most of the big names are there: Pessoa, Michel Robert, Lamaze, Bost, Jessica Kurten, Laura Kraut, Meredith, etc.. But there isn't a single british rider.

Most surprises come from the CSI**
Athina is not there. Instead infanta Elena, who had not taken part in a big show for ages is schedulled to run! Among the big names I can also see locate a couple of un-related Grimaldis (the italian grimaldis are big sponsors of the show), princess Lama and José Bono, son of the president of the spanish Senate.
Anyone else you recognize?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Serene Highness

CasiraghiTrio check your list again. Charlotte is riding 2* not 5* (upper right side on page 2 of list). She did the same last year.

Her Portugese cousin is not riding this year, but there are 2 Grimaldis from Italy. I wonder if they are distant relatives.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 PM

I wondered about the Grimaldis!

I recognize Cayetano, the Duchess of Alba's boy

Monaco Jumping Riders
  1. Diane Dupont
  2. Charlotte Casiraghi
  3. Wenceslas Thomel
  4. Maude Raimbert
  5. Sophie Giordano
  6. Kelly McNamara
  7. Flavia Sillari
  8. Vanessa von Zitzewitz (switched to France?)
Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Nobility

Charlotte in Valencia

Pic

http://www.elpais.com/recorte/201005...a_Valencia.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/wivp7a.jpg

Article

Carlota Casiraghi, a caballo en Valencia · ELPAÍS.com

Source: El Pais, La información

More pic, source belga picture

http://i42.tinypic.com/2hs1a2w.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/9ql11f.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ir9hqp.jpg
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Courtier

^Thanks for the pics! I'm hoping she does well!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Great pictures! She looks poised and ready!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Weird. That news piece says that she is studying design. And I have trouble believing it. Charlotte is more the intellectual type, I do not really see her following design courses like many bored heiressess do.
El País is one of the most serious and prestigious european papers but that info doesn't look very accurate.