Charlotte Casiraghi and Family Current Events Part 42: January 2018 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hermes, this is the second time I have encountered a description of her in person as being less beautiful than in pictures. I like to think the reason is simply that in day to day life she is more natural, wearing less or no makeup, and she's blending in with everyone else, whereas in the pictures the focus is on her and there's the lighting upon her, often very flattering lighting, enhancing the glamour factor. :whistling:

Also: It's my experience and observation that most people are more attractive in natural sunlight, outdoors, where most pictures of Charlotte are taken.

Last edited:
Charlotte came to the boutique I work for in Paris a few weeks ago, she's very nice and polite (even left all the clothes she tried on folded inside the dressing room), but I do have to say that she looks way better in pictures than in real life.
Thanks for sharing Hermes. Can you tell us more? I understand you might not say the name of the boutique but at least the type of clothes, evening or casual, and also did she buy something ? How was she dressed? Make up ? Did she spent a lot? Was she alone ? Thanks

Hermes, this is the second time I have encountered a description of her in person as being less beautiful than in pictures. I like to think the reason is simply that in day to day life she is more natural, wearing less or no makeup, and she's blending in with everyone else, whereas in the pictures the focus is on her and there's the lighting upon her, often very flattering lighting, enhancing the glamour factor. :whistling:

Also: It's my experience and observation that most people are more attractive in natural sunlight, outdoors, where most pictures of Charlotte are taken.

Marion Cotillard said she was speechless the first time she met Charlotte and that she could not stop staring at her. I think because Charlotte is-let's just face it-famous mostly for being absurdly beautiful as well as Grace Kelly's grand-daughter-it's tempting to build an idealized picture of how we think she will look and then feeling let down when she doesn't quite measure up in person.

I've always felt she was one of those rare women who look better without makeup rather than made up.

Last edited:
Marion Cotillard said she was speechless the first time she met Charlotte and that she could not stop staring at her. I think because Charlotte is-let's just face it-famous mostly for being absurdly beautiful as well as Grace Kelly's grand-daughter-it's tempting to build an idealized picture of how we think she will look and then feeling let down when she doesn't quite measure up in person.

I've always felt she was one of those rare women who look better without makeup rather than made up.

Another thing to consider is that it is not so much Charlotte's looks that captivate but her spirit, not to mention intelligence. I just think what captivated Marion and what captivates most of us about her goes deeper than makeup.

I saw grace kelly close up in the early eighties and the same, she was very plain in real life. I think it the camera loving the bone structure. She had perfect posture, and skin and was very regal. A very pronounced jawline

Charlotte has a very bad posture , I wonder why Caroline did nothing for that.

but Charlotte is still testimonial for Gucci? she, usually, in Milan, was present during the fashion week. she was attending the Gucci fashion show. We'll see in Paris..

I saw grace kelly close up in the early eighties and the same, she was very plain in real life. I think it the camera loving the bone structure. She had perfect posture, and skin and was very regal. A very pronounced jawline

Yes, I completely agree. The camera does love great skin and bone structure which is why one doesn't necessarily need to be classically beautiful to be a successful model(think Gisele Bundchen).

BTW...if you saw Princess Grace in the early 80's it must have been not long before her death, when she was already in her late 40's early 50's. Journalist Pierre Salinger and conducted one of her last interviews when she was 51-52 and said even in middle age she was one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen.

Exactly, I can't say the name of the boutique but it's in Saint Germain, near to where she lives I guess. She was alone, and actually what she bought she wore it to an event, I don't know if Monaguesque royalty have the same standards as british ones - who can't accept gifts from what I've read - but it was cool to see that she actually buys the stuff and wears them to events or casually. Indeed she bought a lot and didn't ask for any discount (which trust me happens very often with celebrities).

As I said she's extremely polite, doesn't speak much and actually my colleague who was with her didn't know who Charlotte was, and even asked her name for the data base haha she gave her name, address and all, she was super down to earth to be honest, even better than some of the very rich costumers we sometimes have haha

On thinking it over, she was probably relieved not to have been recognized by your colleague. Little things like being able to shop without being harassed/recognized/stared at/photographed is almost undoubtedly a novelty for someone who values privacy as much as she seems to.

On thinking it over, she was probably relieved not to have been recognized by your colleague. Little things like being able to shop without being harassed/recognized/stared at/photographed is almost undoubtedly a novelty for someone who values privacy as much as she seems to.

The dialogues in the book truly illustrate how charming and funny she is. She and Maggiori have a cute way between them, a kind of banter, they tease each other. The professor and the student, separated for a time by circumstance, but still linked in a way, and reconnect years later .... they put it in such a way. Very beautiful.

I don't know. I don't thing that it is rare at all for a woman to look better without makeup. And in the case of young girls, I find that most of them look much better with a natural look than made up.

I remember I read that quote of Marion Cotillard some time ago. But I thought it was just flattery. Charlotte was really beautiful some time ago, but in my opinion she has developed into a rather plain woman. She has beautiful eyes, no doubt. ANd a very nice smile. But I don't think that she is specially pretty anymore.

Yes, I completely agree. The camera does love great skin and bone structure which is why one doesn't necessarily need to be classically beautiful to be a successful model(think Gisele Bundchen).

BTW...if you saw Princess Grace in the early 80's it must have been not long before her death, when she was already in her late 40's early 50's. Journalist Pierre Salinger and conducted one of her last interviews when she was 51-52 and said even in middle age she was one of the most beautiful women he had ever seen.
Pierre Salinger said a lot of things...her charisma was all. I also saw Sophia Loren at the same time and at the same distance and was bowled over by her beauty in person, vs in pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she was the most beautiful at 15-16 & that may’be been because of her glamorous & photogenic look/style at the time. But since then & especially now, her features are harsh & masculine, especially in up close pics. Now that she’s older & doesn’t seem to care for her appearance, I think that’s what, as others said, makes her look plain/bland.

People mean a lot of things when they talk about beauty. It’s possible Pierre Salinger was talking more of her essence or spirit or other qualities? Kindness? All of which can be beautiful too!

Full quote from Marion Cottillard
Who I find amazing is Charlotte Casiraghi. The first time I had dinner with her, I could not take my eyes off of her face. Sure, there are things that go with it. Intelligence, simplicity, liveliness, kindness.

She found her captivating. There are so many things that make a person beautiful, so much more than perfect skin. If a person is happy and glowing, this radiates and will manifest as a kind of beauty. And all this was enhanced by Charlotte's "intelligence, simplicity, liveliness, and kindness."

Last edited:
Ugh I hate her hair!!!! Her dress is too short..it looks out of porportion.

LaRae

Not sure I like what either of them are wearing, but it hardly matters.

What a beautiful and glamorous couple.?

Well yeah they are both pretty people....with questionable taste in clothing (and hair) lol!

LaRae

I have seen them both looking much more elegant. In LA for the Film Awards in Oct for example.

You can just tell how thrilled they are with the press attention....NOT.:lol:

ETA: The lady sitting on Charlotte's right is beautiful. I wonder was she part of the cast of Le Brio? (Dimitri's nominated film)

Last edited:
I suppose no one cares about Charlotte's writing. You are all only interested in how she looks, in pictures of her. That is disappointing.

:previous: It's not that I don't care about Charlotte's writing tatianacressida....it's simply that I don't relate to or grasp the point she is making-or trying to make-most of the time. Her philosophy encounters more often than not just leave me scratching my head...for example I got my hopes up for the "Children and Violence" series a few weeks ago and I found myself reading about how the process of giving birth is itself an act of "violence"? Well.... okay.

I don't get it, and I don't care. And I have tried(believe me). I am much, much more impressed with her mother's work with AMADE and the Prince Pierre literature prizes.

Or perhaps I simply lack the intellectual depth and training to understand.?:sad: I am the first to admit it.

Last edited:
:previous: It's not that I don't care about Charlotte's writing tatianacressida....it's simply that I don't relate to or grasp the point she is making-or trying to make-most of the time. Her philosophy encounters more often than not just leave me scratching my head...for example I got my hopes up for the "Children and Violence" series a few weeks ago and I found myself reading about how the process of giving birth is itself an act of "violence"? Well.... okay.

I don't get it, and I don't care. And I have tried(believe me). I am much, much more impressed with her mother's work with AMADE and the Prince Pierre literature prizes.

Or perhaps I simply lack the intellectual depth and training to understand.?:sad: I am the first to admit it.

No, it's understandable! I know philosophy is hard, and that's putting it mildly. I have some exposure to it from school and my own readings, and I enjoy it even though it's hard. I just love it, but I know it's not something everyone is into. I will admit that, of course, there are many writers that Charlotte and Robert cite in their book whom I never read, because I'm not very 'up' on French philosophy, at least not modern French philosophy, but that just makes me curious to go have a look and see what they're talking about.

It fascinates me how much Charlotte loves philosophy because it reminds me of (well, yes, her mother, but also) Prince Pierre of Monaco. I can just see him smiling down on her, eyes full of tears, because this kind of thing was what he dreamed of for Monaco.

I suppose no one cares about Charlotte's writing. You are all only interested in how she looks, in pictures of her. That is disappointing.

I don't think that's fair. In my opinion the members of this forums speak more often about Charlotte endeavours (philosophie, horse riding, etc) that about her looks.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong about talking about the way she dresses or her beauty when she herself promotes that side of her by attending fashion shows or appearing in fashion magazines showing herself off or promoting make up.
It is not as if she was a career woman who didn't have links with the beauty industry. In that case I would find sexist to focus on her looks in such a way.
But it is not Charlotte's case.
She makes money out of her looks. She's been acceting covers on fashion magazines for ever, even when she didn't have anything to talk about. And she's been making money from promoting make up and clothes for ages, only on the base of her pretty face and family conections.
She's not been offered those contracts because of what's she's done, but because of who her family is and how she looks. She knows it and she accepts it. So, I think that it is perfectly fair that we talk about her looks as long as we do it in a respectful way.

About her writing... Well, I can't talk much since I haven't read the book. I've read, though, some philosophical texts she's published in magazines, some time ago, and I can say that I didn't like it at all. It was pretentious, confusing, and badly written, so, based on that, I dont' feel like spending a single sou on her book even if the Maggiori bits are probably very good.

It's the same thing when she speaks. Whenever she's given an interview alongside Maggiori you can see all she's lacking and why she's still not ready to write a book. Maybe in the future, but not now.

When you listen to Maggiori, you understand everything he's saying. He is a prestigious philosopher, a doctor, someone who can manage as many references as he wants, and still he is clear, didactic, he reaches you, he manages to say a lot in an understandable way. When you listen to Charlotte, you feel that she doesn't say anything. She is always pretentious, she speaks throught high concepts, she's extremely theoretical, exactly like a student who wants to show off in front of her teacher and boast about all her reading. But everything she says sounds void, far away from real life, too intelecual and learned by heart, not elaborated on her own.
That's why I am not interesed in what she has to say. I've never heard her say anything remotely interesting as yet.

Also, I think that having her debating with Maggiori spoils the purpose of the book. I love the idea of a book about passions. And I would have loved to read Maggiori debating about it with someone of his own intellectual level. But with someone who did ONE year of Philosophy and that's all? Any real philo graduate with a maîtrisse could probably do better. At least she would have bottered to finish her studies and write a mémoire de recherche (an original research work). Charlotte hasn't even been able to do that.

I can understand the point of the book if it is done in a dialectical way, like the books of the greek philophers. If Charlotte's voice is used in that way, the thing may be not that bad. But if I have to read 300 pages full of long paragraphs of her confusing and theoretical blablabla, I pass.

Last edited:
I didn't like the hair from the Saint Laurent show. Curious that she didn't appear for Gucci this season. Perhaps Kering "moved" her to Saint Laurent and Stella McCartney? Those labels are certainly more in line with her aesthetics. Let's not forget she was recruited into Gucci when the old Creative Director was slowly on her way out, but she and Charlotte defintely had similar tastes than the current CD and her.

As to her book, agree with what Paranoia has said. Not to discredit her struggles in life, which we know nothing about, but she came off out of touch when she talked about childbirth as violence. She sounds like an arthouse afficionado more than anything else. Philosophy is probably one of the hardest areas or fields to gain credibility in, I mean, any field you wish to be an expert in you do have to publish and have papers peer-reviewed, etc. But I can't imagine how much harder it is to publish in philosophy! So for her to have published on this topic is of course because of her privilege, same as her presence in fashion shows and endorsements.

I haven't read the book and would like to out of curiosity if there's an English version out. I hope she surprises me.

As far as I remember, Queen Victoria also compared childbirth to violence.

:previous: Indeed she did.

And I am not saying that Charlotte didn't have a point, but my expectation from that Childhood and Violence series was that the discussion would center on children exposed to violence in society, in media, in the domestic sphere etc and the effects on their individual psyches, which of course would drastically affect how they grow into adulthood.

That didn't seem to be the case.

However, I am intrigued by the title of the Maggiori/Casiragi work and I love the idea of grouping human emotions like rage, jealously, etc and referring to them as an "archipelago". I would like to read an English version of her book because even though I read French fairly well, I do not have a good enough grasp to be able to read and understand the complexity of the subject matter in another language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom