Caroline's relationship with foreign royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Australian

Heir Presumptive
City
Perth
Country
Australia
I have tried to research this but cannot seem to find anything. What is Caroline's relationships with other foreign royals? Is she close with any other royals?

Apart from a certain German prince of course.

Last edited:
Good thread, Australian !
I don't know if she is close to them, but much was made of her several visits to Sweden and especially Princess Victoria, (going so far as saying she was mentoring the young princess), and to Spain, and especially Queen Sofia. Before Princess Alexandra was born, the rumor went that the baby would be called Sofia. So much for spreading trustworthy information!

It's such an interesting topic! Thank you Australian, I can't wait to read posts about it!

All I know about Caroline's relationship with other royals is the famous rumour of her possible love story with Prince Charles...
I also know that Grimaldis don't have good relationships with other royals, because they are not very considered. Because of all of Caroline and Stephanie's love story... They are a bit the "trash part" of gotha! That's what I read on a french website.
Oh, and of course, there was Ernst August of Hannover... German nobility...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the Grimaldis, before Caroline's weddding to EA had almost not relations with the other royals. Maybe they were considered as "lower" royals than the others, and with a family story not very blueblooded! Princess Charlotte was a child out of the wedlock of the Prince of Monaco with a dancer!! At this time it was unacceptable.
And also Princess Grace was an american actress!
At this previous times all royal weddings were made between royals or al least high aristocrats! Do not forget the Wallis Simson case. Prince Edward renounced to the throne because of a non convenient relation - marriage to be!
After Caroline wed Prince EA she entered into all these royal circles but I think only as an imported member. Since she splitted with EA we did not see her in any royal event, despite that she is still a Royal highness

Last edited:
I think the Monaco royals are definitely considered a "lower class" of royals.

I read somewhere that she is good friends with Sweden's King Carl Gustav...during the 70's before he married Silvia Sommerlath the tabloids were trying to cook up a romance between Caroline and CG. :cool:

He was a handsome, dashing Royal playboy and she was the most beautiful princess in Europe.:whistling:

But of course it was just garbage, they are friends but never dated.

Good thread, Australian !
I don't know if she is close to them, but much was made of her several visits to Sweden and especially Princess Victoria, (going so far as saying she was mentoring the young princess), and to Spain, and especially Queen Sofia. Before Princess Alexandra was born, the rumor went that the baby would be called Sofia. So much for spreading trustworthy information!

Queen Sofia is Pc Ernst first cousin, their parents were siblings.

I read somewhere that she is good friends with Sweden's King Carl Gustav...during the 70's before he married Silvia Sommerlath the tabloids were trying to cook up a romance between Caroline and CG. :cool:

Very funny!
King Carl Gustav met Silvia in 1972! At this time Caroline was only 15!. Since then, they dated and they married at 1976!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Monaco royals are definitely considered a "lower class" of royals.

The Grimaldi's of Monaco are a "princely" family from a principality, they are NOT royal. Caroline of Hanover was raised to the HRH ranks because of her marriage to Ernst. Everyone else is HSH. They are all "serene." The Grimaldi’s have been ruling for over 700 years which makes them the oldest ruling family in Europe. The rest of the European royals have marriage and genealogy ties that make those families closer to one another. Much of the friendship of Monaco with other European countries was due to Princess Grace’s graciousness and her efforts. She was the best PR that ever happened to Monaco.

The Grimaldi's of Monaco are a "princely" family from a principality, they are NOT royal. Caroline of Hanover was raised to the HRH ranks because of her marriage to Ernst. Everyone else is HSH. They are all "serene." The Grimaldi’s have been ruling for over 700 years which makes them the oldest ruling family in Europe. The rest of the European royals have marriage and genealogy ties that make those families closer to one another. Much of the friendship of Monaco with other European countries was due to Princess Grace’s graciousness and her efforts. She was the best PR that ever happened to Monaco.

But the Luxembourg ruling family are Serene Highnesses and also the Lichtensteins, it does not make them "lower" than the European Royals! On the other hand these two above have strong family bonds with European Royals, the Grimaldis quite never! They are ruling since 700 years but they were "apart". Maybe because previousely the royal and aristocratic arranged weddings were also combined with annexation of huge field properties, but in Monaco... to annex what? Maybe it was the reason making the Monaco brides .. non interesting for high profile marriages!

The royals may have bragging rights but they certainly aren't superior in any other way. All the families have had their share of messy situations. To me the worst is the British Royal Family; if you can call them a family. What kind of family would behead their own relatives. Monaco and Leichtenstein are the only European aristocrats who actually rule their countries. And the 3 smallest countries (add Luxemburg) have the hightest standard of living in Europe.

I think Denmark actually has the longest ruling country; over 800 years.

I think Prince Rainier was friends with King Juan Carlos; even before he was King. I also think they are friends with the Swedes. I read they have a villa on the Riviera. I doubt any of the families are bowling buddies. They are more business acquaintances.

Let's stay to the topic at hand....Caroline's relationship with foreign royals.

And the 3 smallest countries (add Luxemburg) have the hightest standard of living in Europe.

Those three are not the smallest states in Europe.

But the Luxembourg ruling family are Serene Highnesses and also the Lichtensteins, it does not make them "lower" than the European Royals!

The Princely Family of Liechtenstein are indeed HSH while the Grand Ducal Family are all HRH. Since the wedding of Grand Duchess Charlotte to Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma all members of the family are considered to be Royal Highnesses. Before it was only the reigning Grand Duke/Duchess and his or her heir.

As to Caroline's relationship with other royals I think it is more due to the sometimes - let's call it - interesting lifestyle of the Grimaldi family than being 'only' Serene Highnesses.

Last edited:
Princess Charlotte and also Charlotte have met Infanta Pilar and Infanta Elena, mostly through the equestrian circuit, on a number of times.

I have seen a pic of Caroline in the 70s meeting Lady Sarah McCorquodale, actually at the time that Lady Sarah was girlfriend of Prince Charles. I will never be able to find this pic again. It is posted somewhere on the forums, in Lady Diana's forum in British Monarchy. the picture was from an unofficial event, a party in a Paris club.

I have also seen quite a few pics of Princess Caroline and Princess Grace meeting Prince Charles in the 70s.

I believe that Caroline, as some others already mentioned, is quite close to the Swedish royal family.

Also, didn't a British princess become Princess of Monaco some time back?

But back on topic......I remember I saw a photo of Princess Caroline meeting Queen Sophia come to think of it.

Caroline has been in contact with the Spanish Royals a lot-since childhood in fact because Queen Victoria-Eugenie(Ena) of Spain(Juan-Carlos' paternal grandmother) was Albert's godmother, and Juan Carlos himself is Albert's godfather.

Also I read a story once about when Prince Charles visited Monaco as a teenager to hang out with Caroline and Albert(who were considerably younger than he was of course) and they all went swimming in the Mediterranean.

Later on when Caroline was growing into a young beauty the Press fabricated stories of a romance between she and Charles, but there never was one. Caroline wasn't interested at all, and Charles was said to have been more taken with Caroline's mother Grace than with Caroline herself! :lol:

I wonder if there is the perception of a "cast" system w/in the royal/serene ranks - in other words, true royal families feel they are better than "mere" serene families, regardless of how long they have ruled. I know, in America, it appears that way - that royal families deem themselves "real" rulers and more important than serene rulers of smaller principalities. I wonder if there was pressure for the serene families to associate with and/or otherwise socialize with royal families to raise their perception around the world - if that's important; maybe that explains the British royals sending Prince Charles to hang out with the Monaco royals....any thoughts?

One biography, I forget which, describes Princess Ann's visit to Monaco in great detail: Princess Grace's excitement, (it was supposed to be a surprise for other guests I think), their eating in a rather out of the way restaurant, etc. So there was a definite connection between Grace and the British royal family, at least the Princess Royal. Maybe Grace was trying to pave the way for something...

I think all of the royal families get along fine. It's the press that tries to create stories to sell newspapers and magazines. Also, there does seem to be some competition between countries. Not between the aristocrats but again amongst the press. It's natural that they would want to route for the home team.

Queen Noor seems to be good friends with PC. They have been photographed skiing together and she goes to Monaco sometimes for charity events. Princess Haya of Jordan and Dubai is head of the International Equestrian Federation (FFE). PC went to visit her in Dubai a year or 2 ago (to try to get out of testifying for Ernst).

I also remember seeing a very charming photo of PC at a Royal birthday celebration(I forget whose birthday it was!) and she was having a hearty laugh with Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg over something.

It was not that long ago.

I got the feeling of warmth and friendship between the from just looking at the picture, but of course I could be wrong.

Fun topic and an interesting one (btw if one could provide pics it would be most appreciated)! :)

Hmm, where to start, I think I'll go way back to Caroline and Charles first impressions of one another, lol :D , which was that she thought him "too old" and he thought "she wears too much make-up" (which can be verified by several magazines and articles on the subject). Hehe, here's some pics of them during that year of 1977 (btw Charles actually looked handsome back then, and of course Caroline always looked like a movie star): http://i4.tinypic.com/111nm00.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/111nn2r.jpg

And then they met again 11 years later in 1988, when Charles & Diana visited Paris: http://i40.tinypic.com/1z31i80.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/156yhb6.jpg

It's no secret that Princess Grace wished the best for her children, and that included marrying high up within the Gotha, verified by Princess Caroline, whom actually caught her mother leafing through the Almanach on several occasions. This was an especially sore spot for Grace because not one royal showed up at her wedding to Rainier on April 18th, 1956. Btw, long before Grace came upon the scene, Rainier knew that his beloved Monaco was considered a joke: click here (scroll halfway down): The Grimaldi's of Monaco

On that score, I find it odd that Rainier had his eldest daughter suffer the same way he had by being sent away to school to England at a young age, knowing she would need to communicate in a foreign language, a foreign culture, suffer bouts of homesickness, and have to put up with the despisement of those that considered her country a joke. Sad really, no wonder they were so close. Rainier even admitted in later years his mistake of being too hard on his eldest, whereas he spoilt the younger ones, which is never good, spoiling does not create character imho.

Anyhow, back on topic, Monaco seems to be accepted more nowadays than before, but I'm sure underneath there is still some prejudice. Nevertheless, I was glad to see so many dignitaries and royal family members show up at Prince Rainier's Funeral in 2005. But to truly gauge how far they've come since Grace & Rainier's wedding in 1956, will be Albert & Charlene's wedding 55 years later. With so many scandals in other royal families since that time, I'm sure the Grimaldis don't seem that bad anymore to them, but who knows? Like the old saying goes those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Besides what has already been mentioned, I know that the Duchess of York, Sarah Ferguson, has been a long-time friend, even bringing her girls to visit Monaco for the Grand Prix several summers in a row. Here are some pics: http://www.sawf.org/newsphotos/lifestyle/Sarah_Ferguson_Beatrice_splashnews.jpg

Though I don't think Sarah's girls and the Casiraghi Trio hang out much nowadays; they've broken up into different cliques, Sarah's girls preferring the London jetset, whereas Caroline's brood have unfortunately taken up with a bad European crowd imho. I long for the days when Charlotte's boyfriend was Felix Winkler, but she seems to be following in her mother's youthful footsteps, so be it. :(

Also the Duke of York has shown up at several important events in Monaco, most notably Prince Rainier's Funeral in 2005, so I see good relations there. As well as with Prince Charles, whom shares the same love of the environment as does Prince Albert, and both have actually worked together in the past regards this serious matter. Most recently Albert showed up at Charles 58th birthday party to tour Charles eco-friendly homes: BBC NEWS | UK | England | Dorset | Eco-homes shown at model village

And it shouldn't be taken lightly the fact that Caroline marrying into the House of Hanover has definitely raised the House of Grimaldi's prestige a little as well. She's actually the first Grimaldi to marry into such a prestigious British noble house since Lady Mary Victoria Douglas Hamilton married Prince Albert I of Monaco in 1869, that's 142 years ago! Here's a little background info. on her: Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mad for Monaco: Search results for lady mary victoria+

***Note: a little off-topic, but Lady Mary Victoria was actually the original owner of the famous Fringe Tiara, seen here: http://cdn.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=274470&d=1279950618 ***

Hmm, what else? Oh yes, Prince Philip's father had a mistress in Monaco for many years. :D

And to end this on a positive note, they are friends with the Belgium Royal Family, with Caroline recently visiting Brussels for a charity luncheon organized by her foundation AMADE to raise money for the orphans of Burundi, with several members of the Belgium Royal House in attendance. :)

Btw, it's interesting to note that by all accounts the happiest marriage of the House of Grimaldi was that of the first and only Belgian Consort Antoinette de Merode-Westerloo to Prince Charles III of Monaco in 1846 (no scandals, adultery, cheating, and the like). Here's a bit of info. about her: Antoinette de Mérode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the photos Nadine...they are fascinating! :whistling:

I remember reading somewhere that in the summer of 1992 when the scandal over the Andrew Morton book broke, Caroline invited Diana and the boys to come to St Remy and spend time with her and her three children to get away from the furor that was breaking all over the beleaguered Diana.

I don't know if Diana took her up on the offer, but it's a poignant story and very sensitive of Princess Caroline if it's true. :sad:

Oops, one more thing I forgot to add:

I know for a fact that Andrea Casiraghi showed up for Princess Beatrice's famous "1888" 18th birthday ball, but alas there were absolutely *no* pictures taken, which is a shame, but understandable. Beatrice had a not-so-secret crush on Andrea for the loooongest time, lol. :D I'm pretty sure that's why she was always visiting Monaco when a teen, and even took up with a European boyfriend there for a while. I'm just happy that she came round and has now been happily dating a nice respectable London chap for quite some time now. *thumbs up*. :)

Also, I've heard from one very good source that Prince William showed up for Charlotte Casiraghi's 18th or 20th birthday? It was all hush hush. And actually took place at least a week before Charlotte's official birthday. IIRC something about having a fireworks display, et al, and afterwards she met him in Paris at a VIP only birthday bash just for her. No photos came out, of course, but one person who was there has stated it with 110% conviction that it took place.

I sooo wish I had photos because I know I get irritated when a person cannot back up there statements, therefore I'm totally po'ed at myself. :(

Oh well, take it with a grain of salt, time has definitely moved on. William's getting married this month to his girlfriend of 10 years, Charlotte is with whats-his-name for I think 4.5 years now, Beatrice and Eugenie have been dating their equally steady London boyfriends for years, Andrea's practically married to his long-time girlfriend, and the same goes for his brother Pierre. Oops, and Prince Harry also has a long-standing on again/off again girlfriend.

Now my hope lies with Princess Alexandra of Hanover, whom I hope marries at least a title, if not a prince! :) Lol, yes, I'm shallow, but I respect and admire the traditions of old, so be it. :)^)

I'm just happy to know they were all friends at one time, and I hope that friendship continues for decades to come. :flowers:

The Grimaldi’s have been ruling for over 700 years which makes them the oldest ruling family in Europe..

Grimaldi dynasty line which ruled in Monaco died out in 1731 with Princess Louise Hippolyte of Monaco...after her Goyon de Matignon family ruled until the Polignac family,that is on the throne today...

Grimaldi family has other line which is not extinct...they are Counts Grimaldi del Pogetto,but they have never ruled in Monaco...

So,700 years of Grimaldi rule is similar to 300 years of Romanovs in Russia,as "Grimaldi" family is in fact Polignac and "Romanovs" were von Holstein-Gottorp family!

There are also pictures of Caroline with princess Haya at an equestrian event.
But all the pictures of Caroline with other royals seem to be of public/official events. I can't remember pictures of private meetings, not even paparrazzi pics.

Thanks for the photos Nadine...they are fascinating! :whistling:

I remember reading somewhere that in the summer of 1992 when the scandal over the Andrew Morton book broke, Caroline invited Diana and the boys to come to St Remy and spend time with her and her three children to get away from the furor that was breaking all over the beleaguered Diana.

I don't know if Diana took her up on the offer, but it's a poignant story and very sensitive of Princess Caroline if it's true. :sad:

Does anybody know if Caroline attended Diana's funeral?

I seem to remember seeing a photo of her attending but can't find it now. I know there were rumors about William attending Charlotte's 18th birthday but does anybody actually know if they did socialise at all when Diana was alive? Thanks.

Does anybody know if Caroline attended Diana's funeral?

I seem to remember seeing a photo of her attending but can't find it now. I know there were rumors about William attending Charlotte's 18th birthday but does anybody actually know if they did socialise at all when Diana was alive? Thanks.

Well, there is a quote where Prince William said that he has never met the "young woman in question" (about Charlotte) so I doubt they ever met. :flowers:

Last edited:
I do think that Caroline and her family prefer to lead a very private life. If she did have contact with Diana I am sure it would have been very clandestine.

I do think that Caroline and her family prefer to lead a very private life. If she did have contact with Diana I am sure it would have been very clandestine.

Yes I suspected that there may have been some brief contact years ago but nothing that would be known widely enough for any of the public to know about.

It is annoying me though that I'm pretty sure I saw a photo of Caroline attending Diana's funeral but I now can't find it. Does anybody know if Caroline did attend Diana's funeral? I'm starting to doubt myself now and think that maybe it was from the Queen Mother's funeral. :bang::sad::huh:

She did attend the QM's funeral as EAs wife, Albert was there representing Monaco. I do not think she attended Dianas funeral, very few foreign royals did as it was a "unique funeral for a unique lady"

Back
Top Bottom