Caroline's relationship with foreign royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think perhaps fandesacs2003 meant Grace and Sofia had a close relationships as in close friends and not family.
Yes thanks, it is exactly what I meant. They were friends, but of course not blood related at all

I think that of the Grimaldis, the one who is most close to the rest of European royalty is Princess Caroline. I think she had some closeness to Queen Sofia (but I don't know if they are close today) and to the Kings of Sweden.
I think Prince Albert is close to some royals. Princess Stephanie never seemed to be close to members of other royal families.

Princess Caroline and Princess Diana:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gsC-p0pe...640-h429/53a939ec1bb730c05491944e808728e1.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QuwM_2BS...Q/s16000/584f970a7b02dc2181994f8ee8329ded.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eaOLELD6...640-h424/ce1692a0771fb854642d3324158c09cd.jpg

Princess Caroline and Queen Sofia:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ej5LJgHc...Q/s16000/acee0b0777848a5d348132f5e99afc3a.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--jSHdhBK...y-for-a-tuna-fish-reseach-centre-reutersv.jpg

Princess Caroline and King and Queen of Sweden:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SGh5p2nm...Q/s16000/57f54a7e6c0d9aa947b941674db21d9f.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KbB4kjEn...Q/s16000/95173419674f9878068481a6c9699e5b.jpg

Of Caroline's children, Pierre Casiraghi seems to be close to some royals like Félix and Claire from Luxembourg (Pierre and Beatrice were at Félix and Claire's wedding, and then Félix and Claire were at Pierre's wedding), Amedeo and Elisabetta from Belgium and Haakon and Mette-Marit.

Quick guide"
"HIM" His/Her Imperial Majesty-Emperor or in the past Kaiser of Austro-Hungarian Empire and Tsar of Russia

I believe the Kaiser of the Austro-Hungarian Empire , as both Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary, was referred to as "His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty". Similarly, the German Kaiser, as both German Emperor and King of Prussia, was cited as "His Imperial and Royal Majesty".

Interestingly, the Emperor of Japan (the last reigning emperor in the world) uses the style "His Majesty" without the qualifier "Imperial", even though the princes of the Japanese imperial family are cited as "His Imperial Highness".

In the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the princes of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine were technically "Prince Imperial" of Austria and "Prince Royal" of Bohemia, Hungary and Croatia, but they normally used only the title of "Archduke" with the style "His Imperial and Royal Highness".

Historically, those titles changed over time. In the early 16th century, for example, Kings were normally styled "Highness". The style of "Majesty" was used only by the Holy Roman Emperor. Then, some monarchs like Francis I of France and Henry VIII of England also started using the style of Majesty and, soon, other kings followed their lead.

"HM" His/Her Majesty - King/Queen of a Kingdom: UK, Denmark, Spain etc..

"HRH"-His/Her Royal Highness- Prince/Princess/Royal Duke/Duchess of a Kingdom

"HSH"-His/Her Serene Highness-Principality-Monaco/Lichtenstein.
His Royal Highness is also used by sovereign Grand Dukes and their respective heirs (currently only the GD of Luxembourg). Previously, some sovereign Dukes also occasionally used the style of HRH, or alternatively, only His Highness (HH).

Technically, the children of a sovereign Grand Duke who are not the heir to the throne should use the lower style of His/Her Grand Ducal Highness, but the Princes of Luxembourg currently use HRH instead as dynastic members of the House of Bourbon-Parma.

HRH may be also used by holders of titles of rank equivalent to a royal prince, e.g. Infantes/Infantas of Spain (children of the Spanish monarch who are not the heir to throne, or children of the Prince or Princess of Asturias), or, in the past, Enfants de France (children of the King of France including the Dauphin, and children of the Dauphin or of the Dauphin's eldest son) and Petits-enfants de France (children of a Fils de France other than the Dauphin or the Dauphin's eldest son).

I would appreciate if Blog Real or some other Portuguese poster could also comment on the princely titles and styles in the defunct Kingdom of Portugal.

I think that of the Grimaldis, the one who is most close to the rest of European royalty is Princess Caroline. I think she had some closeness to Queen Sofia (but I don't know if they are close today) and to the Kings of Sweden.
I think Prince Albert is close to some royals. Princess Stephanie never seemed to be close to members of other royal families.

Princess Caroline and Princess Diana:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gsC-p0pe...640-h429/53a939ec1bb730c05491944e808728e1.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QuwM_2BS...Q/s16000/584f970a7b02dc2181994f8ee8329ded.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eaOLELD6...640-h424/ce1692a0771fb854642d3324158c09cd.jpg

Princess Caroline and Queen Sofia:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ej5LJgHc...Q/s16000/acee0b0777848a5d348132f5e99afc3a.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--jSHdhBK...y-for-a-tuna-fish-reseach-centre-reutersv.jpg

Princess Caroline and King and Queen of Sweden

The King and Queen of Sweden seem to be very close to several former sovereign families of Germany and Austria (judging by the number of events of those families which they attend).

I wonder if they became close to Caroline after she became Princess of Hanover, or if they were already close to her as a Monegasque Princess.

Last edited:
I would appreciate if Blog Real or some other Portuguese poster could also comment on the princely titles and styles in the defunct Kingdom of Portugal.

Titles and extracts from the Portuguese Royal Family:
His Most Faithful Majesty, reserved for the king and queen;
His Royal Highness, reserved for the heir to the Portuguese throne (Prince Royal of Portugal) and his firstborn (prince of Beira);
His Highness, reserved for infants (not the firstborn sons of the king and queen);
His Excellency, granted to the remaining members of the royal family (usually to the children and grandchildren of infants), as well as to people who held titles of nobility.

Caroline's "connections" to Silvia base on Carl Philip's godfather Prince Leopold in Bavaria,
a kind of jetset offspring of the Wittelsbach family." Jetset " said, as he is a minor royal only inside the Wittelsbach family and searched the limelight with his sports and business. The so-called bussi-bussi- society in Munich which likes to party, same as in St.Moritz, Monaco, beside that Leo is still married to his only wife, has children etc, nothing to blame.
I would not guess Silvia and Caroline share a close relationship as Silvia is not likely to connect with "such". Though royals like to ignore politely what others might fail, the level between a Queen of Sweden and a princess from Monaco who's family produces one scandal after another is huge. Technically before church finally annulled the marriage Caroline gave birth to three ! children out of wedlock and then again Alexandra out of wedlock, as Ernst remains a divorced. The "tragic drama bonus" Caroline is given from the media because her mother died and then her second husband does not erase the facts.
And Sylvia knows Ea's first wife aswell. Royal women are women like you and me, no married woman really appreciates another who's uncontrolled behaviour left the wife and two children left behind with divorce.
The swedish RF simply spends a lot of time in Germany because both have strong family bonds here.
Caroline met him as Leo used to do motorsports in Monaco and befriended. Many rich sportmen tried and still do to connect to the Grimaldi Family in order to safe taxes there.
Same with her connection to Freiherr von Wangenheim, a real estate agent from Munich, him, too initially a friend of Leo where Caroline met him.

I think the connections between the Monegasque and Swedish family go back further than the EA period.

I remember a picture of Rainier visiting Carl Gustafs grandfather on his sick bed. In the nineties CG also came to the Monaco GP and Caroline accompanied Albert to a birthday in Sweden midnineties.

Caroline's "connections" to Silvia base on Carl Philip's godfather Prince Leopold in Bavaria,
a kind of jetset offspring of the Wittelsbach family." Jetset " said, as he is a minor royal only inside the Wittelsbach family and searched the limelight with his sports and business. The so-called bussi-bussi- society in Munich which likes to party, same as in St.Moritz, Monaco, beside that Leo is still married to his only wife, has children etc, nothing to blame.
I would not guess Silvia and Caroline share a close relationship as Silvia is not likely to connect with "such". Though royals like to ignore politely what others might fail, the level between a Queen of Sweden and a princess from Monaco who's family produces one scandal after another is huge. Technically before church finally annulled the marriage Caroline gave birth to three ! children out of wedlock and then again Alexandra out of wedlock, as Ernst remains a divorced. The "tragic drama bonus" Caroline is given from the media because her mother died and then her second husband does not erase the facts.
And Sylvia knows Ea's first wife aswell. Royal women are women like you and me, no married woman really appreciates another who's uncontrolled behaviour left the wife and two children left behind with divorce.
The swedish RF simply spends a lot of time in Germany because both have strong family bonds here.
Caroline met him as Leo used to do motorsports in Monaco and befriended. Many rich sportmen tried and still do to connect to the Grimaldi Family in order to safe taxes there.
Same with her connection to Freiherr von Wangenheim, a real estate agent from Munich, him, too initially a friend of Leo where Caroline met him.

All Princess Caroline's children are born in wedlock as Monégasque law only recognizes the one registered before the Service de l'Etat Civil.

That anyone can have a Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Hindi, Buddhist, etc. ceremony: nice for them, totally irrelevant for law.

Last edited:
All Princess Caroline's children are born in wedlock as Monégasque law only recognizes the one registered before the Service de l'Etat Civil.

That anyone can have a Catholic, Muslim, Jewish, Hindi, Buddhist, etc. ceremony: nice for them, totally irrelevant for law.

Well, as you can read, I was talking about the religious dimension not about law in Monaco LOL

Well, as you can read, I was talking about the religious dimension not about law in Monaco LOL

But you named the children born out of wedlock. That is quite a qualufication. All of them have been born inside marriage. When we go on the religious path: children are a blessing from the Lord according to the Bible. There is no distinction between a human life born in marriage or a human life born out of wedlock.

But you named the children born out of wedlock. That is quite a qualufication. All of them have been born inside marriage. When we go on the religious path: children are a blessing from the Lord according to the Bible. There is no distinction between a human life born in marriage or a human life born out of wedlock.

Well, again, I did not talk about civil law in Monaco or elsewhere
and I did not say the children are any worse than others, nore did I qualify them,whatever that means (?)
please be carefull not to put your words into somebody else's mouth!

I can't say what the Lord thinks but only listen what church authorities say.
Yet, nobody said children aren't a blessing, again be carefull.

The Monaco Princely Family and the Swedish Royal Family have enjoyed good relationships since way before Caroline married Ernst.

Caroline and Chantal both have friends in common in spite of the way the latter's marriage ended. (Which, by the way, was as much the fault of the uncontrolled behaviour of the wayward husband as it was of Caroline).

The Monaco Princely Family and the Swedish Royal Family have enjoyed good relationships since way before Caroline married Ernst.

Caroline and Chantal both have friends in common in spite of the way the latter's marriage ended. (Which, by the way, was as much the fault of the uncontrolled behaviour of the wayward husband as it was of Caroline).

Nice, so we agree about the relations between Sweden and Monaco.
As it it widely reported in German press Silvia and Caroline talked for a little while (how many minutes? LOL) when Silvia attended Leo's birthday in Munich as he is Carl Philip's godfather, that was dozens of years ago and Silvia& King are very often here and connected to many royals, less the jetset part but much more quiet friendships out of the limelight. Leo is an exception as he is part of bussi-bussi otherwise these details about his birthday parties had never been published.

I do not know how much "guilt" is on each of the trio when EA' first marriage broke, but some women do simply not consider to break into a family no matter what the partners tell you, some others do-simply a fact.

Let's not take this forum on a personal level, after all most of this is speculation and expressing our opinions of people most of us do not know personally.
I wish them all the best and you, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom