Caroline's relationship with foreign royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, wait Caroline was at the QM furneral not as a Princess of Monaco but as H.R.H. The Princess of Hanover and Albert was there for Monaco?

And it shouldn't be taken lightly the fact that Caroline marrying into the House of Hanover has definitely raised the House of Grimaldi's prestige a little as well. She's actually the first Grimaldi to marry into such a prestigious British noble house since Lady Mary Victoria Douglas Hamilton married Prince Albert I of Monaco in 1869, that's 142 years ago! Here's a little background info. on her: Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just out of curiosity, why did Lady Mary's first marriage to Prince Albert I end? Was it because it wasn't a love match, and she had fulfilled her "duty" to provide an heir so they let her go?

Ah but her first husband that was killed, he was the boat racer...wasn't he Italian or something?

I'm not too familiar with Monaco, does she have children with her 2nd huband? I know she had them with the first.

MM

Ah but her first husband that was killed, he was the boat racer...wasn't he Italian or something?

I'm not too familiar with Monaco, does she have children with her 2nd huband? I know she had them with the first.

MM

Actually, she had 3 children from her 2nd husband (the Casiraghi Trio), and a little girl from her third husband. She doesn't have children with her first husband. :flowers:

I'm definately behind...I didn't even realize she had 3 marriages..I just knew about the two.

What happened with her first husband?

MM

I'm definately behind...I didn't even realize she had 3 marriages..I just knew about the two.

What happened with her first husband?

MM
She divorced. I don't exactly know why but I heard it is because he was unfaithful.

Caroline been in some real marriages, so know some of the most important royals.
I think I've seen some pictures of Caroline with Princess Diana. Diana and Caroline were friends? Caroline attended the funeral of Diana?
I do not know why, but I think Caroline is a friend of the Luxembourg Grand Dukes.

I don't think Caroline is particularly close friends with any other royals - she certainly wasn't friends with Diana. They met on a couple of official occasions but she didn't attend the funeral.

She and Stefano did attend Bianca d'Aosta's wedding in the 1980s.

As a family the Grimaldis are quite friendly with the Swedish Royal family and there are links with the Spanish royal family (Victoria Eugenia was Albert's godmother) although Albert's less than diplomatic comments about security for potential Madrid Olympics did cause something of a freeze.

I don't think Caroline is particularly close friends with any other royals - she certainly wasn't friends with Diana. They met on a couple of official occasions but she didn't attend the funeral.

She and Stefano did attend Bianca d'Aosta's wedding in the 1980s.

As a family the Grimaldis are quite friendly with the Swedish Royal family and there are links with the Spanish royal family (Victoria Eugenia was Albert's godmother) although Albert's less than diplomatic comments about security for potential Madrid Olympics did cause something of a freeze.

Queen Ena apparently was a very good friend to Princess Grace who credited her as her role model and as the one who taught her the ropes of being a Royal consort. I've seen pictures of the two having what seems to be a tremendous time together.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well, from 1931 onwards Queen Ena -since 1941 widowed- was in exile until her death in 1969. She moved to France, to Italy, to the United Kingdom, to Switzerland, etc. She could be not too selective in her "friends" and of course was thankful for any hospitality or assistance by anyone. It is difficult to say if the relationship between Queen Ena and the Grimaldis was a true or a partly calculated friendship. Say A and it is okay. Say B and it is also okay. It was a long time ago and the real-life witnesses have gone.

Caroline of Monaco is persona non grata since she is separat from Ernst August of Hanover, there was the birthday of the couple King Constante and Anna Maria of Greece in 2014 with the Queens of Margreth of Danemark and queen od Spain, the prince Ernst August was invited but no Caroline

For the former queen of Spain , the Grimaldi family offerd the hospitality to this queen who was not welcome in the other royal courts, not in UK neither in other courts, she was alone and she was happy to be received with warmth at the palace of Monaco.
The former king of Egyptia was living also in Monaco and the couple Rainier and Grace offered to receive the couple Mohamed and Farah Palhavi when this family searched a place where to live during the illness of the Shah, all the Kings, Queens, princes and preincess who came to Persépolis shut their doors apart Rainier and Grace , and Baudoin and Fabiola of Belgium &nd the king Mohamed of Marrocco, all these persons have the nobility of the heart not the other who were not brave during this times
In the years 50, 60 when the former queen of Spain was received at the court of Monaco , there were no hope that Spain beame again a monarchy, it was the times of franco .

That was my point: Queen Ena was "homeless" and the Grimaldis offered hospitality, like they did to so many former royal and aristocrat exiles. That makes it difficult to say if the relationship between Queen Ena and the Grimaldis was genuine friendship or also a "calculated friendship".

Caroline of Monaco is persona non grata since she is separat from Ernst August of Hanover, there was the birthday of the couple King Constante and Anna Maria of Greece in 2014 with the Queens of Margreth of Danemark and queen od Spain, the prince Ernst August was invited but no Caroline. [...]

I don't think Princess Caroline is a persona non grata. She is still married to the Prince of Hannover. I am sure she is very welcome at any foreign Court. What has changed is the status of Princess Caroline:
- she is no longer the First Lady of Monaco since Charlène married her brother;
- she is no longer the Heiress since the birth of Prince Jacques;
- she is no longer the second most important person of Monaco but has "lowered" to Number 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is difficult to say if the relationship between Queen Ena and the Grimaldis was a true or a partly calculated friendship. Say A and it is okay. Say B and it is also okay.

I agree, whatever the basis for their friendship was, it's all okay; so why bring up this difference between "true" and "partly calculated" in the first place?

:flowers:

Caroline did not attend to royal events, the last one was the wedding of Prince guillaume of Luxembourg in 2011 when the princely couple was doing a officiel visit to poland.
Last year, Prince Albert was present at a meeting to prepare the COP 21 and Charlene had to be present to the opening of the festival TV in Monaco, Caroline was not present to the wedding of Carl Philipof Sweden.

in 2014 at the funerall of the queen Fabiola, the prince of Monaco coould not attend because the twins were born 2 days before and there was the ceremony ' declaration des naissances' the same day of the funeral, Caroline could attend to the funeral , she did not do it.

At the festivities of birthday of marriage of Anne Maria and Constantine of Greece, Caroline still married to Ernst August was not invited but Ernst August was invited each time a member of the princely family of Hanover is invited, caroline does not take part , the royal courts prefer to invite the sons of the family hanover .
Caroline is persona non grata.

But Caroline does not matter, she is happy with her children and her grandchildren.

At the wedding of the prince Philip of spain , Albert, caroline and Ernst August of hanover were invited to the wedding , the night before the wedding, Ernst August made scandal in the bars in Madrid, the owner of a bar called the royal palace because Ernst August was drunk, the day of the wedding, Albert, caroline were present to the wedding ceremony and not Ernst August because he was not in state to attend , he was too ill, he had drunk too much. a shame.

I would have to agree that Caroline's position plays a large part in her relationship with royals and the aristocracy. With the collapse of her marriage to Ernst August, she is in a somewhat invidious position being married and yet not.

When she was young and wild she mixed with high society while her royal contemporaries were growing up and getting married to mostly suitable candidates rather than living scandalously in high society and marrying unwisely as Caroline did. They did not live their lives on the front pages of the cheap rags. She did not seem to have many or even any royal girlfriends.

Going back to Monaco was the only logical course when her marriage broke down but her brother's marriage moved into her into a place subordinate to his wife, it was not Caroline that attended Queen Elizabeth's private diamond jubilee celebration but Charlene, and the birth of their twins merely moved her down to an unlikely third in line to the succession.

While she may have mixed with minor royalty and aristocracy, we don't see her really being close to any particular royals.

I agree, whatever the basis for their friendship was, it's all okay; so why bring up this difference between "true" and "partly calculated" in the first place?

:flowers:

Because the poster whom brought it up gave the impression as if Grace and Ena enjoyed a real friendship, but who knows? What we learn from the world of the royals, the celebrities, the rich and the famous is that you never get what you see. It can be true: Ena of Battenberg being so jummy-chummy with Grace Kelly. It can also be: Ena of Battenberg eating the bread of the one who gave it to her. Remember, she was just a homeless exiled person. I only wanted to make that point, if I may.

Princess Caroline persona non grata at the foreign Courts? Come on. She simply has the same status as a Princess Astrid of Norway, or a Princess Christina of Sweden, or a Princess Margriet of the Netherlands: she is "just" a sister of the Sovereign. Do we see these ladies on all those weddings, birthdays, jubilees and funerals? No. Are they personas non grata? Of course not. They now belong to the pheriphery of their royal families and lead an own life, more and more away from the public lights.

When Prince Jacques is 18 years old, we will see an old lady à la Princess Antoinette and then it is: "Oh yes... it is Prince Jacques' aunt!". It is just how things change and Princess Caroline still is very welcome at every Court. I am sure that she can join diner at La Zarzuela or have a weekend at the hunting lodge of King Willem-Alexander. They really keep contacts amongst each other we do not know about at all. In the Romanian thread we saw Princess Margareta and Radu posing before Christmas cards and we could see one from Monaco, one from Spain, one from Belgium, etc. They are "just" a former ruling family but so to see maintain contacts we simply do not see. I am sure it is the same in Caroline's case.

Yes, Caroline could join the royals to these events but she does not do it , she is not invited. or she does not want to do it, no matter, she does not need to be present to these events, she is happy without them.

D and P, you are so much entitled in your own thoughts about the true royals and the not enterely royals that you cannot imagine there could be a true friendship between two persons, we are now living in the XXI century.
In the monarchies of Holland, Spain the Queens were not royal, in Norway, there will be a queen who was a single mother, in Danemark, there will be also a queen who was not royal before her wedding with Frederic.
The children will be not entirely royal as you are always saying in your comments, These monarchies are like the princely family of Monaco.
The children of WA of holland, the children of King Felipe have not a blood enttirely blue, even the children of Haakon have a grand mother and a mother who were not royal before their wedding and also the children of Victoria, their grandmother and their father were not also royal, their blood is not entirely blue
they are equa lto the children of the princely family of Monaco.

You say: "Princess Caroline is a persona non grata", meaning that in Belgium, in Sweden, in the Netherlands, where ever they say: "Caroline de Monaco? Oh no! No way... No entrance!!!"

I don't believe that for a moment and I am sure that Princess Caroline is very welcome at any Court. Why should Felipe, or Carl Gustaf or Willem-Alexander ever refuse to welcome her? I am sure that the doors of La Zarzuela, Drottningholm and Huis ten Bosch are wide open for Princess Caroline.

Caroline is not "persona non grata" - that implies she is not welcome. She is simply now the sister of the ruling Prince and no longer the first lady - if needed, she helps out as with the Luxembourg wedding but otherwise she lets Albert and Charlene do the job - which is as it should be.

Given that Ernst is Constantine's first cousin it makes sense to me that once he and Caroline had separated she would be the one who didn't attend.

As far as I'm aware Caroline's friends are a small circle of intellectuals, the fashion set and those interested in the same charitable concerns as she is. I think she also spends some time with some members of the Italian aristocracy like the Brandolini but as far as I know she is not close friends with any royals. From there to "persona non grata" is a huge leap.

Caroline and Ernst have never appeared together since they are separated. Consequently it is normal that when a "private" royal event takes place, related with Ernst family, it is Ernst who attends and not her.
As regards the royal weddings, generally they invite the chiefs of each family and the family related. Caroline is just the sister of the ruler, who now has a wife. Why officially they should also invite her?
And the Grimaldis are not related by blood with most of the royal families. Caroline started attending the royal events when she married Ernst or rare times as a first lady but now why? She is not a person non grata, but there is no reason for her to attend

Indeed, that is what I stated, her whole status has changed:
- she is no longer the First Lady (that is her sister-in-law Charlène);
- she is no longer the Heir (that is her nephew Jacques);
- she is no longer the second most important person in the principality (she is Nr 5 now).

As stated: compare her with Princess Astrid of Norway, Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, Princess Christina of Sweden, etc. Ladies in the pheriphery of the royal family. That is all. I am sure Princess Caroline is very welcome at any Court. I can not imagine someone as Queen Máxima or Crown Princess Mary refusing to have lunch with her....

Picture
: The Prince and Princess of Hannover leave the Royal Palace in Amsterdam

Last edited:
@Duc_et_Pair. Lovely picture. On which occasion is taken? Prince of Orange's wedding ?

Thank you for the wonderful old pictures, especially grace with her babies. Monaco is a special place, a tiny, remaining principality which was revived and rejuvenated by Caroline's parents. Caroline has always continued to perform her duties in exemplary fashion. That includes raising a Alexandra, in a difficult situation.

Point 1: Princess Caroline, by her marriage to Ernst August, is not only Princess of Hanover, but she is also a Princess of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.
Point 2: She is also close to the Hanover Royals, and on Royal occasions in Hanover she is often present.

True. When she is received somewhere, it is always with égards. By any royal, former royal and aristocratic family.

Back
Top Bottom