The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

When I saw Princess' Caroline look at the official dinner I had a kind of illumination. This look reflects which role Caroline herself plans to have since Albert's wedding: She is leaving the place to Charlene!

The choice of outfit was like a kind of official "hand over". She appeared on "queen dowager', with a blue dress, not very young, not very nice, quite low hills. She put voluntary off her previous sparkling!

Now the limelight goes to Charlene, SHE is the first lady. Caroline will still be there, but as second. She will of course continue her personnal tasks, (Amade, Ballets, etc, etc) but one step behind.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I very much doubt that the Monegasques will acquiesce to that.
The have had Caroline as the mainstay of the whole operation, ever since Grace died.

In a previous thread, someone said: Caroline is the Matriarch. And I agree. She is cut out for it, the others don't.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Courtier

She has done her duty, leave her in peace.

Caroline was unexpectedly, and sadly, handed a duty as First Lady of Monaco that she never wanted nor expected, but nevertheless assumed as the eldest daughter of Prince Rainier & Princess Grace. And she's done a remarkable job these past 29 years, filled in for her mother, and for her brother whilst he remained unmarried.

Now, alas, her job as First Lady of Monaco is over, and she can hand that position over to Albert's wife, while still maintaining and being in charge of her favorite charities, ballet, opera, et al. But without that intense harsh spotlight on her at all times. She has the best of both worlds.

And I'm sure she will help her new sister-in-law with the transition should Charlene need it. :)

But in the meantime, enjoy your newfound freedom and privacy, Caroline, you've more than earned it!

ETA: one of my favorite videos is of Princess Stephanie teasing Prince Albert about "when is he going to get married" in 1997, during the 700 Year Anniversary of the Reign of the House of Grimaldi. Though said lightly, I know the family was waiting & waiting & waiting for it. Alas, it finally came to pass! SALUT!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

Good points, Nadine - I agree
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sure she was unhappy on Charlene and Albert's wedding and there was sth problematic with her. And i think this has sth to do with her role in Monaco. Of course the Monegasques admire/love her and will always do that but i don't think that's enough for her. From what i usually confront, she is a woman who wants to be seen everywhere and adores money and limelight. Why did she marry Ernst? I doubt there was love between them. It was just money and title. There was a chance to be among the princes and kings of the other countries. Why did she marry Ernst? She even knew - and that was familiar - that he drinks a lot and has no good manners! It's not good to have a drunkard by your side. Let alone when you want to have a nice profile and don't create further problems in your life! He had even a wife, Chantal, who was also one of Caro's best friends..! And she separated them. Just because i'm going out of topic, i don't really know what's Caroline's future in the palace and in Monaco, but i know that she will try to have power because she seems to want that. It's not my intention to sound hard to you. Especially to those who like Caroline.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry to be awkward (again), but there is no such title as "First Lady of Monaco".

There is only "Princesse the Monaco", and, with the coming of Charlne, there will now be three Princesses of Monaco.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
I'm sure she was unhappy on Charlene and Albert's wedding and there was sth problematic with her. And i think this has sth to do with her role in Monaco. Of course the Monegasques admire/love her and will always do that but i don't think that's enough for her. From what i usually confront, she is a woman who wants to be seen everywhere and adores money and limelight. Why did she marry Ernst? I doubt there was love between them. It was just money and title. There was a chance to be among the princes and kings of the other countries. Why did she marry Ernst? She even knew - and that was familiar - that he drinks a lot and has no good manners! It's not good to have a drunkard by your side. Let alone when you want to have a nice profile and don't create further problems in your life! He had even a wife, Chantal, who was also one of Caro's best friends..! And she separated them. Just because i'm going out of topic, i don't really know what's Caroline's future in the palace and in Monaco, but i know that she will try to have power because she seems to want that. It's not my intention to sound hard to you. Especially to those who like Caroline.
Can you provide any proof to support the following statements:

1) Caroline was sad to lose her position as First Lady of Monaco? And you know this how, did she give an interview saying so?

2) Marrying Ernst for title and money? Caroline has enough money and wasn't impressed about the title the first time around when Grace wanted her to marry him. Again, do you have anything to support such a statemetn.

3) Caroline adores the limelight and the attention? I guess you can explain the lawsuits with the press about the violation of privacy. If Caroline was all about the limelight, she would have made her business to be front in center in the days before the wedding and would have tried to hog the limelight at the wedding. I don't think was the case at all.

Not going to even address the Chantal Ernest saga...that has no place in this thread.

I agree with the sentiment that Caroline will again continue to support the charities and issues that mean the world to her. She didn't do it for fame. Caroline has had plenty of fame and attention since she was born.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

Why should i have a proof about what i say? It is just my opinion! I'm not talking in front of a trial. I'm not of course trying to convince anybody with my words. Opinion equals no truth. It is just the impression she has given to me.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Administrator

We are entitled to our opinions but you are stating your opinions as fact, from your post above:

"Why did she marry Ernst? I doubt there was love between them. It was just money and title" such a statement implies that you know that Caroline did not marry for love but rather money and titles.

"From what i usually confront, she is a woman who wants to be seen everywhere and adores money and limelight." again stating as fact when IMO Caroline appears to do what is necessary but shuns the limelight.

If you are going to state opinions as facts, people are going to ask you to support such statements. Per the TRF rules:

Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Serene Highness

I'll be cautious from now on. Thank you for reminding it to me!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Royal Highness

In my opinion....nothing will change. It'll take Charlene awhile to get used to events especially on her own , Caroline will just keep going with her life and only occasionally will we see HSH the Princess of Monaco role be played out as Charlene not Caroline. I don't think Caroline will have anymore privacy as the people and press love her......I think it'll remain much as it is now....
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Administrator

In my opinion they have already changed.

Frankly folks, we were a bit spoiled. Chances are if Grace hadn't died so young (and yes 54 is young) and/or if Albert had married earlier, Caroline wouldnt' have had to step in and become such an important part of what many perceive to be the Face of Monaco.

In the last year (at least since the engagement) the focus has been on Albert and Charlene. Remember when we were all asking why is Charlene tagging along for state visits (when NO other fiancee in any royal or princely house has done that), Albert was preparing her for her role.

Caroline has taken a back seat to Charlene (and really even if was Peggy Sue) that was going to happen. As Renata stated she will always be a Princess de Monaco but not the main Princess de Monaco. That is reserved for the wife of the Reigning Soverign, and right now, that is Charlene.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera Friedel View Post
There's room for both Caroline and Charlene in Monaco.
I completely agree...Charlene is First Lady, but Caroline holds a place in the cultural and intellectual life of the Principality that Charlene cannot and will not fill.

Monaco wouldn't be Monaco without Princess Caroline.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

And we should not forget a very important point: Caroline has been raised as a Princess, and she is "doing alone this job" for 30 years now! Her experience is precious. Charlene is young, very new in this role. She does not even speak french! She NEEDS Caroline's support and advice, and I'm persuaded that Caroline will be glad to support her.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Caroline is the most mature of the three siblings. She has AMADE, a world-wide charity trying to better the lives of thousands +

She is President of the Prince Pierre Foundation and is active during the times when new authors and artists are being selected.

Apart from these, she is well known in the arts / music world.

She has a family of four, with a wide age range, and she seems very hands-on with them all.

Last but not least, she knows her own worth - as a woman, as a family member, as a human being.
Well said Renata4711 & I agree with what your wrote.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

If PC loved the limelight she wouldn't have moved to San Remy or Melee sur Seine. She would have stayed in Monaco or Paris where she would have maximum exposure. She also wouldn't have spent 40 years suing the very magazines that put her on their covers. They are not happy with her, as they have said in their editorials at various times, eg. Paris Match saying they would never write an article about her again, but they all continue to have articles and photos about her, even Paris Match, because she sell magazines. As long as she sell, they will continue to write about her, whether she likes it or not.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I read Paris Match regularly and I cannot remember the last time they did a story on Caroline, let alone put her on their cover. It makes me sad, because I am fascinated by her and I have been my entire life.

I would purchase a milk carton if it had her photo on it!

I think that the falling out with Paris Match began in the late 90's when she began her affair with Ernst-August...she was said to be very displeased with their coverage of that particular scandal.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Serene Highness

Wasn't Paris Match the magazine that had the article this spring on how PC should be the ruler rather than PA?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Caroline is still the Hereditary Princess and isn't about to step down from her duties, especially since Charlene barely speaks French, a big problem for the time being until she picks it up. She will play the dutiful wife and produce an heir, then probably file for divorce.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Nobility

If I understand correctly in the event that Charlene and Albert do not have a son, the heir would be Andrea, son of Caroline?

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .