Caroline and the Salzburg Opera

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CasiraghiTrio

Heir Apparent , TRF Author, Royal Blogger
City
Burbank
Country
United States
How long has Caroline gone to the Salzburg Festival every year and does she have some official role in it? Is she a patron or officeholder on the committee? What performances has she attended and can anyone list them, or a few, or even any of them?
In 2002, she and Ernst went to the festival and they even took Charlotte. Did they happen to see the highlight of the festival, Helmut Lachenmann's opera ''Das Mädchen mit den Schwefelhölzern'' (''The Little Match Girl'')?

Well I have no idea and no answers for your questions Casiraghi, so I'm not going to be much help, but I don't remember ever reading that she is a patron of the festival, so sorry :(....

I would like to know if perhaps the festival has already happened, and if it hasn't, then when it will be held?

Ani

Last edited:
anag said:
Well I have no idea and no answers for your questions Casiraghi, so I'm not going to be much help, but I don't remember ever reading that she is a patron of the festival, so sorry :(....

I would like to know if perhaps the festival has already happened, and if it hasn't, then when it will be held?

Ani

the salzburg festival official site (salzburgfestival.at) should answer your questions about it. I am not sure when it begins exactly because I think it is already going on. I believe it is a whole bunch of performances that go on all summer and the one that Caroline and Ernst traditionally attend is, I think, the biggest of all, late August, early september, thereabouts. This year is pretty exciting for the festival, very special because it's the Mozart 250 years celebrations. All of his operas are being staged at Salzburg this year, which is fantastic because his operas have had little attention to compared to his sonatas and other works.

I don't know exactly which years Caro did attend, but I don't think she has any official role in the Festival. It's just that Ernst has a big house very close to Salzburg, they spend there part of the summer, and as the Festival is such an important, elegant, and highly cultural event, they usually attend some concerts or operas with their friends. They attended several kind of events, but particularly the highest-profile once: the opening and the closure (end of july/end of september) which are usually lyric operas (often Mozart's). Hope I've helped...

Grace said:
I don't know exactly which years Caro did attend, but I don't think she has any official role in the Festival. It's just that Ernst has a big house very close to Salzburg, they spend there part of the summer, and as the Festival is such an important, elegant, and highly cultural event, they usually attend some concerts or operas with their friends. They attended several kind of events, but particularly the highest-profile once: the opening and the closure (end of july/end of september) which are usually lyric operas (often Mozart's). Hope I've helped...

Thanks, Grace. I bet they do give money to the festival, though. Even if their roles aren't as officers on the committee or something of the sort, I would bet money that they are on the long list of financial donors, benefactors, whatever it's called, and they probably have season tickets with special VIP seating as a reward for being in the plus-5000 or plus-something donations club. What is of real interest to me though is what performances they have seen. Caroline and Ernst for sure attended in 2001, in 2002 (in 2002 with Charlotte), in 2003, 2004, and 2005. In each of those years, there were pics of their arrival at the September closing performance.

I would also like to know if anyone knows if Caroline studied music as a young woman. What instruments does she play? Are there any pics of her playing music? of her singing?
If you could post pics of Caroline performing music here I would be so grateful.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I would also like to know if anyone knows if Caroline studied music as a young woman. What instruments does she play? Are there any pics of her playing music? of her singing?
If you could post pics of Caroline performing music here I would be so grateful.

As far as I remember Princess Caroline studied both piano and flute. There was photo of her playing paino with Stephanie (as kids) somewhere on forum. As for singing, she had some singing roles in plays as child too. Even Princess Grace mentioned that in some of her letters, mainly refering to Caroline's roles in summer camp in USA (in Pocono's, I think).

I don't know if the Festival has donors, but I doubt it; I think you just buy tickets, for a single show or seasonal. Of course Caro and Ernst are bound to have the best tickets, and maybe they have invitations, so they don't even have to pay to attend...
I don't know what shows they attended; I remember in 2002, when Char was there as well, they attended the closing opera (Mozart's Don Giovanni? I'm not sure; you know every year there are a number of lyric operas and synphonic concerts, that are repeated several times during the summer months. The most glamorous are usually the first and last representation of the main lyric opera, and Caro often attends one of those, but I also remember her attending some low-profile concert during the day) The only way to know is probably to know the exact date of the pics and then compare them with the programs of the Festival.

As for Caro studying music, I think she studied flute and piano (read that somewhere) but I have no idea how good she is, if she still plays etc. Someone else might be more informed.

Kisses

ETA: Thanks Ianna; our information match so they might be right...

Grace said:
I don't know if the Festival has donors, but I doubt it; I think you just buy tickets, for a single show or seasonal. Of course Caro and Ernst are bound to have the best tickets, and maybe they have invitations, so they don't even have to pay to attend...
I don't know what shows they attended; I remember in 2002, when Char was there as well, they attended the closing opera (Mozart's Don Giovanni? ...

You're right Grace!;) It was "Don Giovanni" performance. I agree with your opinion that Hanover's don't neccessary be a donors for Festival. Buying tickets or even a publicity they got as visitors makes a free promotion for Salzburg's Festival.

Ianna said:
You're right Grace!;) It was "Don Giovanni" performance. I agree with your opinion that Hanover's don't neccessary be a donors for Festival. Buying tickets or even a publicity they got as visitors makes a free promotion for Salzburg's Festival.

Oh ok. I just thought that since Caroline is such an obvious and avid supporter of all the fine arts (music, theatre, ballet, opera) that she seems like someone who would gladly donate something to the Salzburg Festival. Obviously, yes, you guys are so correct that her mere public endorsement of it gives it prestige, but at the same time, I was thinking that she seems like someone who loves music to such a degree and certainly has the means to financially give support as well.

About her musical training in piano and the flute, was it only as a child/teenager or did she do some musical studies in early adulthood (i.e. at a conservatory somewhere; didn't Charlotte study piano at a conservatory?)

pics from photoshot agency

Caroline and Ernst at the Salzburg Festival in the summer of 2003

first set is from 11 August 2003, when they saw the premiere of the opera "Samson et Dalila"

the last pic shows them on the way to a Sunday matinee o 17 August 2003

I live in Vienna now, but originally I`m from Salzburg. The Sommerfestspiele are always in July and August. For locals it`s rather difficult to get tickets for the big acts, because they are expensive and limited. A friend of mine saw Pr. Caroline and Ernst August a few years ago in Salzburg. They were leaving the hotel Sacher (http://www.sacher.com/sacher/HotelSacherSalzburg/index.jsp) and Pr. Caroline was a few meters ahead of Ernst and was going rather fast. Ernst was trying to keep up with her and shouted: "Wait for me darling!" :)

I have always loved that black dress that Caroline wore to the festival.

Thanks for Ernst's quote! Those little insights are always fun!

(By the way, isn't this the hotel that made the "Sacher Torte" famous?)

Salzburg is staging the Marriage of Figaro opera (Mozart's most famous opera) on July 26. That is the premiere night. Maybe Caroline and Ernst will go to that one. Surely that's one of the "big" ones.

Caroline and Ernst at Salzburg 2005

Source: hola

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181775&d=1124374142
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181774&d=1124374142
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181773&d=1124374142 (the last one, with conductor Ivor Bolton)

At this time, September? 2005, they went to see the "Alceste" Opera, by Christoph Willibald Gluck, performed by Mozarteum Orchestra, under the direction of Ivor Bolton.
The public also vibrated with enthusiasm by Mitridate´s Aria, by Mozart, sang by the Soprano Ina Schingensieben, a movement by the string quartet of the Israelite composer Chaza Czernowin. There was also an Aria of the La Traviata, of Verdi, sang by tenor James Valenti, all of them part of the opening program.
(from hola.com)

She looks lovely, as always. Thanks for the pics Casiraghi and thanks to Cassi for the quote from Ernst. I've always wondered, doesn't Ernst speak French, why would they speak English to eachother, when they can speak French? I don't know, but I think there's a thread for that, I'll go look now.

Ani

It's amazing that the "aria" has remained one of, if not the major reason people to the opera. I just love that Caroline appreciates fine music and supports the ballet and the opera. Music is very important, especially Classical and Baroque music. It is one of the best stimulants for learning. It improves the mind. It always leaves more to be absorbed. Look how brilliant Charlotte is, probably one of the reasons is that she has been exposed to this music all her life, perhaps since she was a baby. Alex is likely to be brilliant too. Caroline is a great parent, whatever her detractors say. The Casiraghis are great kids and Alex is just delightful. Four out of four great ones isn't a bad record.;)

All the Casiragi kids studied music since they were little: Andrea played the violin and the guitar, Char the piano and Pierre the sax...I don't know about little Alex, but we already know she is a ballet dancer. And BTW; Grace was known to be a very very good pianist, she often played and Rainier gave her a huge piano in Monaco (apparently she particularly liked CHopin).

Kisses

Zuma Press:

Aug 9th, 2002: Princess Caroline, Prince Ernst-August and Charlotte Casiraghi are visiting the 'Don Giovanni' performance at the Salzburg Festival 2002

14kz7sj.jpg
14kz7tj.jpg
14kz7ue.jpg
14kz7y8.jpg
14kz7z7.jpg
14kz808.jpg
14kz812.jpg
14kz81s.jpg
14kz82e.jpg

Zuma Press:

Aug 11th, 2003: Princess Caroline and Prince Ernst-August visiting the opera premiere of 'Samson and Delila' durind the 2003 Salzburg Festival

14kz9s3.jpg
14kza5v.jpg
14kza8p.jpg
14kzacg.jpg
14kzad2.jpg
14kzaeg.jpg
14kzaf6.jpg
14kzair.jpg
14kzamv.jpg

Zuma Press:

Aug 13th, 2003: Princess Caroline and Prince Ernst-August having lunch at the 'Goldener Hirsch' restaurant in Salzburg

14kzbcn.jpg
14kzbdl.jpg
14kzbf8.jpg
14kzbit.jpg
14kzblw.jpg
14kzcw4.jpg
14kzcyt.jpg
14kzd35.jpg
14kzd4p.jpg

Zuma Press:

Aug 18th 2003: Princess Caroline at the 2003 Salzburg Festival

14kzddy.jpg
14kzdhe.jpg

Has any of you more photos of Charlotte at this event?There are two here but i can't see her clearly.Thanks in advance!

Caroline's dress at the 2003 Salzburg was amazing. She was amazing in it. That was definitely worth highlighting in Caroline's fashion archives. Not that the opera should be about fashion, but when a woman wears something like that, how can you not gawk in admiration? I wonder if it was her usual Chanel or Prada or something else? I can see it being a Valentino.

(By the way, isn't this the hotel that made the "Sacher Torte" famous?)

The original Hotel Sacher is in Vienna (yes, they are the inventors of the "Sacher Torte" - yummy). The family who owns the Hotel Sacher in Vienna bought an old and famous hotel in the center of Salzburg a few years ago and called it Hotel Sacher as well.

Cassi said:
The original Hotel Sacher is in Vienna (yes, they are the inventors of the "Sacher Torte" - yummy). The family who owns the Hotel Sacher in Vienna bought an old and famous hotel in the center of Salzburg a few years ago and called it Hotel Sacher as well.

That place is gorgeous. Did Caroline and Ernst really stay there? Are you sure they weren't meeting friends or just dining there or something, because don't they have a nearby estate that they (or at least Ernst) own(s)?

CasiraghiTrio said:
That place is gorgeous. Did Caroline and Ernst really stay there? Are you sure they weren't meeting friends or just dining there or something, because don't they have a nearby estate that they (or at least Ernst) own(s)?

I don`t know what they were doing in the hotel, this friend of mine just saw them coming out of the hotel. The castle of Ernst is about 1 hour away from Salzburg by car (it`s in Upper Austria). I don`t know where they are sleeping when they are in Salzburg (in the city) but I think it`s possible that they stay in the town.

Cassi said:
I don`t know what they were doing in the hotel, this friend of mine just saw them coming out of the hotel. The castle of Ernst is about 1 hour away from Salzburg by car (it`s in Upper Austria). I don`t know where they are sleeping when they are in Salzburg (in the city) but I think it`s possible that they stay in the town.

Oh ok. Yeah, after drinking champagne at the opera and then wining and dining with their party, they may not be up for an hour-drive back to the castle.;)

Poor princess Caroline. She looks more than despondent in this photo!

Glistening Seas

Austria is a favorite. The scenery in that country is breathtaking and a good place to hang out it seems! Since all seems to have gone well with the trial, it's nice for them to have taken a break to visit the opera! oh it was interesting to note that Ernest and Caroline have a place in Austria!!! it's so hard to keep up do they have a thread for all the places they own? Certainly opening up one's private residence all the time may seem imposing however, a thread for it would make interesting reading? Does anyone have an opinion about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom