Caroline & The Casiraghi's - University Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whoah ! I am impressed ! You are the best for this kind of knowledge and research ! Thanks a million, I am sure we all appreciate it !
(Are you a teacher by any chance ?) You always make things so clear !

Whoah ! I am impressed ! You are the best for this kind of knowledge and research ! Thanks a million, I am sure we all appreciate it !
(Are you a teacher by any chance ?) You always make things so clear !

Librarian/researcher/writer. :)
You're welcome a million. It was no problem. I just had a lotta too much time on my hands.

Does anyone know which Sorbonne institution Princess Caroline has her license from?

Check my last post for a rather expanded "rough outline". ;) I made some edits to add schools for the Casiraghis' family, friends, etc.

Last edited:
Oh...Thanks for answering my question Casiraghi Trio and Iloveroyals.. different country, different system.. hmmm:rolleyes:

thank you so much CT for that.it is so well organised:flowers::flowers:.i'm very impressed by Maillot's HEC studies!

Oh hold on, I"m a bit confused, maybe CasiraghiTrio you can answer since you mentioned it. Charlotte has already completed her undergrad years? I'm assuming in France its the standard 4yrs or did she skip a year?

In accordance to our previous conversation in the pictures posts, my comment about people from old money did not come from personal opinion but rather through observation. People from wealthy families definitely have more opportunities than the rest of us. So yes they can embark on several things but their reaction and their thoughts will differ from ours. What we get from donating money that we worked for is different than donating money that you inherited.
In regards to the Casiraghis I do wish they would do more, because they have the capability-both financially and emotionally- and seem to have the mental capacity to do so as well. However, {this is where my 'observation lies} I find that they don't do enough, especially Charlotte. It's pretty disappointing that out of her siblings she hasn't participated in any charitable event. This critique may be unsubstantiated, but had this been brought up 2 years ago I would've disagreed and thought that they don't want the spotlight and want to live as private citizens. But when you see them attending parties for famed photographers or designers (where media outlets will definitly be present) that argument cannot be used anymore.
Maybe this year she will do something to this effect if she is in fact done with school and obviously will have more time on her hands. We shall wait and see! ;)

You made very good observations, talula. In answer to your question about Charlotte's degree, the License at Sorbonne IV only is three years. I think three years is pretty much standard at all French universities, but at Sorbonne it is certainly three years for a License. Then for a Master's, I think three more years, though I don't remember. I'll have to look at the Sorbonne IV site again.
For Pierre at Bocconi, he is enrolled in a two-year degree program. If I remember rightly, he began in September 2006.
For Andrea, he's so much more mysterious. When did he take the BAC exam? Summer 2002? He would have turned 18 that summer. He studied at International School of Paris, I assume for one year. During this time, he dated Caroline von Stauffenberg and bought her a baby pig. :wub: Then in summer 2003, he and Caroline broke up and he had his fun with the Spanish actress Maria Jurado. Then we saw him back in Paris for a long while. He began dating Tatiana, art history student at AIC London, in 2004.
I am assuming now he did two years at ISP, then studied for 2004-2005 at a university in Montreal, maybe McGill, and returned to Paris to take up studies at AUP. Meanwhile, he takes his summer breaks in the Balearic isles and occasionally goes on some AMADE mission or conference somewhere.

Tentative theoretical outline for Andrea's post-lycée studies
* Two years at ISP
* One year at Montreal
* Two years at AUP (2005-2006, 2006-2007)
That theory would put him finishing up his degree just in time to launch the Motrice Foundation in June.

But what about Theory 2?
* One year at ISP (to study for the BAC)
* A kind of "gap" year
* One year at Montreal
* Two years at AUP (finishing up a three-year degree)
* Launch Motrice

Last edited:
Thanks CT for answering my question! It's interesting to learn about different academic structures throughout!
I guess you are right about Andrea's academic life being more 'mysterious'. If he was here at McGill then he must be a smart student because McGill is a very good and tough university!

I wonder if Andrea failed his Bac the first time. I have heard this rumor before, and it seems possible because the Bac is a very difficult exam. I have taken a cursory glance around the ISP site and it looks like a place to study for the Bac, though they have multiple programs. If this is indeed the case, he must have begun his university studies in Montreal, and finished up at AUP.
There are many places he might have studied in Montreal. See Wikipedia: Montreal: Education. I didn't know before that Montreal has an École Nationale d'Administration.

You made very good observations, talula. In answer to your question about Charlotte's degree, the License at Sorbonne IV only is three years. I think three years is pretty much standard at all French universities, but at Sorbonne it is certainly three years for a License.

Well, I'll try to explain this little mess.:flowers:
Charlotte DOES NOT HAVE a real valid degree. She hasn't finished her undergraduate studies. At the Sorbonne as in any other french university you get your License after 3 years, yes, but it is not the final undergraduate degree and it really does not mean anything. It's just a name, mostly. (well it can give you a certain advantage over a candidate who did less year of studies if you want to become a civil servant in the future and stuff like that but is not really relevant in this case).
What I mean is if you study biology, chemestry, history, sociology, economy and want to work in a company as such, or if you want to become a teacher, whatever, YOU WILL NEED 4 YEARS OF UNIVERSITY STUDIES.
This is called a MAÎTRISE. You get the maîtrise after 4 years of universitary studies, in sorbonne as everywhere else.
So, Charlotte has completed 3 years. She's got a Lisence but that's just a name with no real value. You don't even get a diploma (not even a crappy one) after the Lisence. In order to be considered an economist, a chemist or whatever you need a MAÎTRISE, so Charlotte needs another academic year to finish her undergraduate studies.

Thank you so much, frankieboy. I hope it's true. I think many of us here feel hopeful for it to be true. It's a good source besides.

Yeah..really hope its true!! As a fan, that's a good news for me.. I know she will do it!:wub:

Charlotte Casiraghi's Education
1) Lycée François 1er de Fontainebleau (Achieved "très bien" BAC results in July 2004)
2) Lycée Fenelon in Paris (2004-2006)
3) University of Paris-Sorbonne IV (2006-2007)

If Charlotte wanted to proceed onto a Master's degree at Sorbonne IV, I understand she would need two more years of study there.

If she started at Sciences Po this week, as suggested by L'llustre, would her License certificate allow her to skip entirely or part of the 3-year "first cycles" (les premiers cycles) and proceed to the Master's program of two years?

Well, I hope the Trio hasn't given up on their studies - all their friends (Tatiana, Ernst, and Christian included) seem to be pursuing their studies, but those three don't seem to be finishing anything. I hope they are just taking some time off and will resume their studies, otherwise, their friends surpass them in the realm of formal education.

Well, I hope the Trio hasn't given up on their studies - all their friends (Tatiana, Ernst, and Christian included) seem to be pursuing their studies, but those three don't seem to be finishing anything. I hope they are just taking some time off and will resume their studies, otherwise, their friends surpass them in the realm of formal education.

What is Tatiana even majoring in? She always looks constipated...it's like smile girl! It won't kill you...

What is Tatiana even majoring in? She always looks constipated...it's like smile girl! It won't kill you...

:D Tatiana is a graduate student at the New School, NYC. She has an Art History degree from American Intercontinental University in London. I assume that she is pursuing the same subject at New School, but I don't know for sure. New School is actually a bunch of different schools and I don't know which one Tatiana is enrolled in. I would assume she's in the Eugene Lang College (the liberal arts department for New School) but who knows?
http://www.newschool.edu/

I guess I can tell you for sure it's McGill, a (reliable) friend of mine was there at the same time.

That's cool. Thanks. I was thinking it was either McGill or that French école that Montreal has. -->see here
I hope we find out soon if Char is really at Sciences Po and what course she is on, whether the Premiers Cycles or the Masters.

Last edited:
Hello magazine says that Charlotte is working for a daily newspaper in London at the moment. Charlotte helps Albert bring Monaco glam to consulate launch

Maybe it's like what we call here in the States an internship. Whatever you are studying, you have a semester to work in the field it represents, so maybe if journalism is of interest to her, she's doing an internship with a London newspaper to see what she'll experience day-to-day.

I think she's probably done with school, the report in People Magazine was most likely true...probably just trying to build up her resume now...

I guess if she passed that test she would've continued but maybe having a boyfriend in London now influenced her decision as well...makes sense. And she's grown now...

Charlotte is working for the independent - does that mean that she has finished to study? :ermm:

I think she just started to study two years ago . . .

Charlotte is working for the independent - does that mean that she has finished to study? :ermm:

Looks like she's done...there was an article in People Magazine back in July about how Charlotte had become bored with her studies and wanted to change direction.

It appears that her post-bac education has been three years, two at Fenelon, and the last completed at University Paris-Sorbonne IV towards the license in philosophy. Maybe Zembla is right that Charlotte is building up a resume, but another possibility (?) is that she is enrolled in a program and part of the requirement is a period of internship. :confused:

^Would a licence in philosophy be considered as a BA?

Degrees offered by University of Paris-Sorbonne IV
License (three years, divided in L1-L3, unless like Charlotte you have first two years completed in a "classe preparatoire" like Fenelon)

Master (2 years, M1 and M2)

Doctorat (Doctorate) like the US Doctorate diploma, where you work for maybe three years on research for a thesis, participating in seminars.

Main source: Site officiel de l’université Paris IV Sorbonne

So, does it mean after she completes her internship she will graduate? I think now its normal to have 3 years degree program and follow by internship program, then you can continue your service with the same company. Just like me, except that I didnt accept the offer by my previous employer...

I like the idea that Charlotte will continue her career as a journalist working with press. Maybe we can expect her to extend her experience in media electronic soon than we can see her interviewing somebody else...:wub:

Ok...I am being too demanding now...:lol:

I just think it's funny that after all these years being a main target...Charlotte may end up as a member of the press...LOL

What Charlotte has chosen to do reminds me of her mother, when she was writing articles, at about the same age, and Caroline Kennedy, who worked as a sort of news photographer, and the other Kennedy family member, her cousin Maria Shriver, who chose to work in television and interview celebrities, just to turn the tables on people for a change.
Anyway, this field is full of possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom