Caroline & The Casiraghi's - University Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrea went to AUP in Paris, then to The New School in NYC. He went to McGill in Canada before AUP or as part of an exchange program with AUP. I read the Barcelona thing in Wikipedia but there is no reference so it could just be made up. I just know he has been seen in Monaco alot more lately. Two or three magazine articles have said Charlotte has a license from the Sorbonne; including Paris Vogue. The Vogue article said she dropped out instead of going for her phd. The Vogue article was messed up though. It had her going for her ENS after the license, which is wrong.No public statement has been made one way or another on Pierre. I have no reason to disbelieve that Andrea and Charlotte graduated from their respective school and no one knows what happened for Pierre. I am guessing he probably graduated also but it's no big deal if he didn't. Degrees are only necessary for employees, not employers. The Casiraghis are in the employer category.

Is it the equivalent of a License of "Sciences Politiques"? If this is the case I wonder why did he not try to do a Concours for L'ENA or something similar because we can't work with just a license of "Sciences Politiques".

I think it would be, yes. But i wonder if there's any difference between International Politics and Political Science?
I think Andrea failed in his bac...or did i dream that?
Maybe that's the reason why he went to the states to study instead of staying in France. But i don't know how is the educational system in France. And from what i read it's messy...or maybe is just me that i can't understand it well.

Andrea went to AUP in Paris, then to The New School in NYC. He went to McGill in Canada before AUP or as part of an exchange program with AUP. I read the Barcelona thing in Wikipedia but there is no reference so it could just be made up. I just know he has been seen in Monaco alot more lately. Two or three magazine articles have said Charlotte has a license from the Sorbonne; including Paris Vogue. The Vogue article said she dropped out instead of going for her phd. The Vogue article was messed up though. It had her going for her ENS after the license, which is wrong.No public statement has been made one way or another on Pierre. I have no reason to disbelieve that Andrea and Charlotte graduated from their respective school and no one knows what happened for Pierre. I am guessing he probably graduated also but it's no big deal if he didn't. Degrees are only necessary for employees, not employers. The Casiraghis are in the employer category.

Oh, AUP is Paris? I thought that was in NY as well! :ROFLMAO:
So, he went to AUP in Paris, he graduated in 2006, then went to NY to do a masters? I know he has a major in international politcs and a minor in visual arts.

- NOW: there was a big "reforme" at the beginning of president Sarkozy's reign.

hahaha, I've been laughing for a while with this bit about Sarko's reign! I don't know if it was an english mistake or a lapsus linguae but it's brilliant! ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Two or three magazine articles have said Charlotte has a license from the Sorbonne; including Paris Vogue. The Vogue article said she dropped out instead of going for her phd. The Vogue article was messed up though. It had her going for her ENS after the license, which is wrong..

No, FanofMonaco, I think that you are making an honest mistake.:flowers: It's true that some magazines asumed that Charlotte had a license prior the Vogue interview, but there, in spite of the ENS mess-up, it was clear that she had dropped her studies at the beginning of her 3rd year, she said it herself.
I don't think that anyone has ever written that she just didn't go for a phd. Even when they were saying that she had a License, a license is not enough to go for a phd it, neither with the old or the new system (see lovelykate explanation). To go for a phd you need a bac +4

Is it the equivalent of a License of "Sciences Politiques"? If this is the case I wonder why did he not try to do a Concours for L'ENA or something similar because we can't work with just a license of "Sciences Politiques".

Well, from what I recalll Andrea's never been a brilliant student. He didn't even pass his bac the 1st year and had to repeat it. I don't think he's never had any chance to enter l'ENA

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know Andrea didn't pass his bac the first time? He never took the French bac; he took the international bac. He was planning all along to attend an American university, which he did. The American University in Paris and the New School in NYC. Also McGill for a short time in Canada. I don't think there is an American U. in the US. It was set up for foreign countries. From what I've read French and American Universities are opposite. In the US most of the best universities eg. the Ivy League schools are private and in France the best universities are public.The US does have some excellent state run universities also.

Here's my therories:
Andrea:
-failed the International bacclauarate in June 2002, retook and passed it in December 2002.
-worked for AMADE in Spring 2003.
-Attended McGill in Canada for Fall 2003-Spring 2004 terms
-Worked for AMADE in Summer 2004.
-Attended AUP from Fall 2004-Spring 2007, Bachelors of Arts degree Earned.
-Attend The New School from Fall 2007-Spring 2010, Master of Arts Earned.
-Took a couple of years off
-now reportedly working on a masters at the University of Barcelona. Not sure if it's true or not.
Charlotte
-French Bac, Tres Bien, Lycée François Couperin, 2004
- hypokhâgne and khâgne course at the Lycée Fénelon, 2004-2006, failed the exam.
-got depressed-her friends were all graduating from their unis, and she was back at square 1, Caro encouraged her to keep going, she did-for a year.
-Fall 2006-Spring 2007 Uni ofParis: Sorbonne IV, depression continued.
-her perfectionism got the better of her, and she backed away, doing the internships.
Pierre
-French Bac, Lycée François Couperin, 2005
-2004-2005 GAP, possibly working on getting ready to take over his dad's companies?
-2005-2008 Bocconi, Failed first year, went back to do 1st year again, did 1/2 of yr 2, dropped out.

So...Andrea would have a bachelors degree and masters in Visual Arts, but nothing in international politcs...not yet at least?
I'm getting dizzy. :confused:
From wikipedia, all the siblings (we don't know if it's true, but still)

Andrea:
Growing up mostly in France, he studied for the International Baccalaureate exam at the International School of Paris;[citation needed] he took the exam in the summer of 2002.[citation needed] Besides French, he is fluent in several languages, including English and his father's native Italian. Following a period at Canada's McGill University, he eventually graduated in 2006 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in visual arts and international politics from the American University of Paris.[1] From 2007-2009 Andrea studied at The New School in NY, receiving his masters degree in International Affairs. He then did an internship at the Qatari Embassy to France. This was the International Field Work he did for the New School’s Graduate Program International Affairs. He is currently taking his masters degree at University of Barcelona until 2012.

Charlotte:
From the ages of two to six, Casiraghi attended Les Dames de Saint Maur in Monaco. At the age of six, she moved on to the École de la République (state school) and the Collège Glanum of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. From 2000 to 2004 she attended the Lycée François Couperin, Fontainebleau.
She obtained an "excellent" mark on her baccalaureate exam in July 2004. After passing her bac, she enrolled in the hypokhâgne and khâgne course at the Lycée Fénelon, in St-Germain-des-Près, Paris, in the hope of entering the École normale supérieure (Paris). She took the written entrance exam for ENS in June 2006, but failed to make the list of candidates eligible to proceed to the oral exam.
In 2007, Casiraghi is believed [1] to have earned a License of Philosophy (B.A.) from the University of Paris IV: Paris-Sorbonne; there isn't any evidence for this belief, but Casiraghi has never denied it. Casiraghi certainly completed two internships, firstly with the publishing house of Pierre Laffont in Paris, and then later from October 2007 with the Sunday magazine supplement of The Independent newspaper of London.[2]

Pierre:
He attended a state school in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. However, after his mother's remarriage to Ernst August V, Prince of Hanover, the family moved to Fontainebleau, to be nearer to Paris and London, the latter being where his new stepbrothers lived with their mother.
It is assumed that Casiraghi passed the French Baccalaureate exam in the summer of 2005 since he shortly afterwards began university. One year later, in fact, he moved to Milan to begin a three-year undergraduate course in International Economics and Management at Bocconi University. He is not known to have graduated.

:previous:

No. I never specified what Andrea's degrees were in. His Bachelors degree is a Bachelors of Arts, majoring in Visual Art and International Politics from AUP in Spring 2007. His Masters of Arts is in International Affairs in Spring 2010.

Degrees are only necessary for employees, not employers. The Casiraghis are in the employer category.

I would hope my employers, no matter how fabulously weathy and travelled, got degrees anyway before operating their businesses. Although, frankly, if the CEO of my company only had a high school education, I would have no respect for him or her. Even though none of the Casiraghis will probably have to worry about being in charge of Monaco, they could still go to college and get careers elsewhere rather than party.

(I know Charlotte edits a magazine has her equestrian career, as well as her interest in fashion.Don't know about the boys' interests.)

I would hope my employers, no matter how fabulously weathy and travelled, got degrees anyway before operating their businesses. Although, frankly, if the CEO of my company only had a high school education, I would have no respect for him or her. Even though none of the Casiraghis will probably have to worry about being in charge of Monaco, they could still go to college and get careers elsewhere rather than party.

(I know Charlotte edits a magazine has her equestrian career, as well as her interest in fashion.Don't know about the boys' interests.)

Hmmm, so you have no respect for Bill Gates???? :)

Princess we are on the same wavelength. Bill Gates of Microsoft, Steve Jobs of Apple, Michael Dell of Dell computer, Jennifer Connelly-actress, Mark Zuckerburg of Facebook and Albert Einstein were all university dropouts. Thomas Edison and Cary Grant dropped out school around the 8th grade. There are those who drop out because they can't hack it and those who drop out because they don't need it. I don't expect the Casiraghis to reach these heights but there is no doubt they will be successful. Even PS had successful designing and singing careers.She didn't go to college at all.

Successful singing career? I didn't know! Were her songs famous till USA? In France her singing career is a big subject of joking. And I'm too young to remember the time she sang... I would be very interested by your point of vue!
I wonder if Casiraghis will be successful on their own, or because they are PC's children. All the people you quoted are self-made ones, that's not the case of Casiraghis. They are not enough brilliants. That's not a critic, just a truth: they are not as brilliants as Gates, Dell, Zuckerberg are, and as Jobs was. I think that all her life, each time they will do anything, people will think "they did this because they were PC's children, they had all the possibilities to do it" just as Charlotte's internship and editions of magazines, Andrea's internship in an ambassy... Unless they do something really brilliant, proving amazing capacities.

Then all their lives will be like that "they did that because they are PC's children" and nobody will think that they have the ability to do other thing because of that. Poor kids.
Nobody respect them because they are seeing as jet set brats that don't do anything. And everybody judge them like that.
People tend to believe they are stupid and arrogant because they move in that circle.

I don't think they CAN be successful on their own.
1. They don't know how to do it. They've been following Mom's shadow for too long. They will be forever associated as "the grandchild of"/"the child of". Same with the Ducruets.
2. Think about it-Pierre has "taken over" (if you call being majority shareholder a takeover) his father's companies, Andrea's becoming a super scholar in politics, and Charlotte...is well, Charlotte.
Of the Casi trio, I think Charlotte has the biggest chance at being successful, if she stops freaking out over the fear of perfectionism of hers. If she just calms down and sticks with something (like show jumping OR journalism OR Philosophy), she'll go far.

PS didn't have a singing career in the US. Her CD was released here shortly after Stephano died and she didn't promote it here.The California DJs put her down saying she didn't earn it. Her other problem is that she lipsynced her songs in Europe.It also was about the same time that Milli Vanilli got caught doing the samething but it was other peoples voices. Ever since then the entertainment industry has called anyone not actually singing in performances on it. I heard something in the news the day her CD came out and nothing more. I bought her CD and actually liked it. She has a good but weak voice . Her songs were actually pretty good. The big difference was that she didn't have a polished act like someone who had worked her way up. People like Russell Crowe and John McEnroe have tried and been downright awful. Sony only hired her after she had sold 8 million CDs in Europe. I read that Ringo Starr's last CD only sold 30,000. She's not Celine Dion but I thought she was better than the DJ's gave her credit for.Watch her on YouTube and see what you think.

^ Thank you for this very instructive post! I didn't know all of this.
Her only song I heard is "Comme un ouragan", I think that's the most famous one. I'll go to watch her on youtube!

Even PS had successful designing and singing careers.She didn't go to college at all.

I'm sorry but I can not consider that Stephanie had a successfull singing carreer. She has only a 45play (two songs) very successfull, and this because at this period, she was very in the limelight for all her acts. It was after her mother's loss, press, after years of following her sister, discovered Stephanie, 18 years old, pretty, living a open passion with the "good boy" Paul Belmondo, and dropping him to have a 3 days passion with the "bad boy" Antony Delon. She was constantly in the covers of magazines, with her nights out, orv her days at the beach.
After that she started modelling, she made a boom!!!! but Prince Rainier stopped her.
After she tried designing, the beach line Pool Position, which made a huge success for only one season (or max. two). Actually I do not know if she was designing herself or if she just put her name. AT this time she was supposed to have a passion for fashion design, she studied nera Mark Bohan at the Syndical Chamber of Fashion, in Paris, but this interest has dissappeared 2 or 3 years after.
I mean people is criticizing Caroline and Charlotte, because they might did not accomplishe their studies in Sorbonne, but at least they attended and succeed some years. This need serious efforts. But Stephanie did nothing, out of partying at all the night clubs around the world.
Charlotte has a passion, riding, she is not a world champion, but she is doing it for some years. But Stephanie, drooped down her passion very soon.

And after that she tried singing, made also a seasonnal success, and stopped.
Basically I think that whatever she tried, she had success thanks to her name, beauty and (at this time) scandalous life, but she gave up to everything.

Last edited:
In the US, anytime a person sells 1 million units eg. itune you get a platinum record award. You get one for $1 million in sales for a CD. PS sold 2millions units of OURAGAN and 1.5 million CDs of BESOIN. 8 million in total unit sales during her short career. That is excellent in the music business. Not Beatles or Elton John excellent but still very good. She only sold 3,000 copies of the CD she released in the US but she didn't promote it or go on tour here. Again this was right after Stefano died and she went home to help PC (per Sony Music Co.) The rest of the info I got off of Wikipedia. Did her celebrity help her promote her songs? Certainly. Would 8 million people pay for music just because the person is famous? I don't think so.

Hmmm, so you have no respect for Bill Gates???? :)

Should have clarified my original remarks to mean legacy families. Bill Gates and Cary Grant don't come from legacy families: they made their name in emerging industries for their own original contributions. Now, if Bill Gates' heir takes over Microsoft with only a high school education and then expects me to take him/her seriously.... I'll get my product elsewhere. Same goes with royalty. The British Royals have it right: even though not all are in line for the throne, the majority have education or military experience.

I'm not hardcore about this: I love Princess Diana and she didn't have a college education. But then again, she also was like a Bill Gates for the BRF forcing it to modernize. But the majority of the time, I would expect a legacy heir---if taking over the parent's company (or being involved in it in some major way) to have a college education. (While Charlotte likely won't ever rule and isn't that involved with Monaco, she is portrayed as an intellectual rather than a socialite, and she herself says she's isn't a party girl but a thinker. That image would have more substance if she had an actual degree and was actually using it for something.)

Successful singing career? I didn't know! Were her songs famous till USA? In France her singing career is a big subject of joking. And I'm too young to remember the time she sang... I would be very interested by your point of vue!
I wonder if Casiraghis will be successful on their own, or because they are PC's children. All the people you quoted are self-made ones, that's not the case of Casiraghis. They are not enough brilliants. That's not a critic, just a truth: they are not as brilliants as Gates, Dell, Zuckerberg are, and as Jobs was. I think that all her life, each time they will do anything, people will think "they did this because they were PC's children, they had all the possibilities to do it" just as Charlotte's internship and editions of magazines, Andrea's internship in an ambassy... Unless they do something really brilliant, proving amazing capacities.

THIS!!!! There is a huge difference between self-made people and legacy heirs. Self-made people don't neccessarily need a degree because they are already ahead of their time. But legacy heirs....are just making their money off the family name.

I don't buy the "no one will take them seriously because they are in the shadow of________" argument though. If that was the case, the Grimaldis would have been sacked long, long, long ago (as in long before Queen Victoria). Not to mention other ruling families. If the Trio can't find their way from out behind Caroline's shadow: it's on them, nobody else.

Funny though that Charlene was critiqued for not having a college education when many of the Grimaldi-Casiraghi clan don't have degrees.

Charlene's case is different. She didn't even finished high school. The Casiraghis and Caroline did.

I think people tend to understatimate the Casiraghis because they are constantly seen in parties...actually, Charlotte is the only one that is always seen in the party circuit. We don't have pics of Andrea or Pierre partying since time ago. Also, the paparazzi choose to sell the image of party prince/princess, instead of other image.

The fact that they are not involved politically in Monaco, or that they don't seem to be activly involved, makes people believe "oh these spoiled brat kids".

If they didn't mind Monaco's image, they wouldn't go National Day, the Charities Balls, etc. IMO.

This thread is endlessly hilarious.

This article mentions that Andrea "is currently studying for a masters degree at the university of Barcelona". Does anybody know what subject this degree is in? Also, is this his second masters degree?

(I am not surprised, as I have read his mother has a sharp mind and would likely be very supportive)

Maybe they copied and pasted from wikipedia?
It says that of Barcelona in his wiki article.

Hey, I have a quick question.
When some of you have said of someone "not having college education."
Does that include droppouts?

I always suspected that Charlotte had never completed her university degree even though most articles invariably describe her as a graduate of the Sorbonne. In fact when she first became linked with Dimitri, the press stated that one of the things they had in common is that both had obtained degrees from the Sorbonne.

But only Dimitri has a degree from there, not his wife.

Anyway I am glad she is completing it.

PHP:
I had read recently about Charlotte's return to the Sorbonne to complete her doctorate in philosophy but I couldn't track down the publication so I did a little further sleuthing.

Unofficial Royalty and Wikipedia
Education:
1988-1992: École maternelle, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France

1992-1999: École de la République, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France

1999-2004: Lycée François Couperin, Fontainebleau, France, received an excellent” mark on her baccalaureate exam in July 2004 (high school)

2007: University of Paris IV: Paris-Sorbonne, License of Philosophy (Baccalaureate)

In 2018, Casiraghi told Clara Le Fort of Billionaire magazine: "I continued studying philosophy while at the Sciences Po Doctoral School."[8] https://web.archive.org/web/20190729153809/https://www.bllnr.com/culture/charlotte-casiraghi

It sounds like she is returning to the Sorbonne to complete her doctorate.

Anyone actually know the details on her education?

As has been pointed out in this forum in 2015 she started The Philosophy Meetings of Monaco Accueil - Les Rencontres Philosophiques de Monaco

Since first reading about Charlotte's interest in philosophy I now see her in a whole new dimension.

PHP:
I had read recently about Charlotte's return to the Sorbonne to complete her doctorate in philosophy but I couldn't track down the publication so I did a little further sleuthing.

Unofficial Royalty and Wikipedia
Education:
1988-1992: École maternelle, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France

1992-1999: École de la République, Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France

1999-2004: Lycée François Couperin, Fontainebleau, France, received an excellent” mark on her baccalaureate exam in July 2004 (high school)

2007: University of Paris IV: Paris-Sorbonne, License of Philosophy (Baccalaureate)

In 2018, Casiraghi told Clara Le Fort of Billionaire magazine: "I continued studying philosophy while at the Sciences Po Doctoral School."[8] https://web.archive.org/web/20190729153809/https://www.bllnr.com/culture/charlotte-casiraghi

It sounds like she is returning to the Sorbonne to complete her doctorate.

Anyone actually know the details on her education?

As has been pointed out in this forum in 2015 she started The Philosophy Meetings of Monaco Accueil - Les Rencontres Philosophiques de Monaco

Since first reading about Charlotte's interest in philosophy I now see her in a whole new dimension.

It can’t be true, in France, to pursue a doctorate, you have to complete first a Master degree (2 years course after a licence, I am not even sure we can learn philosophy in Science-Po. The school is known in France for all social sciences related studies (law, economy etc...) not for «*les humanités*» i.e litterature, philosophy, theology, history ...etc

She must only be a free listener.

Last edited:
Thank you. What about the University of Paris IV: Paris-Sorbonne, License of Philosophy, do you think this is the equivalent of a Bachelor's degree in the US?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom