Caroline & The Casiraghi's - University Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PC got a license from the Sorbonne. It's in her biography on the Palace website. I believe that Charlotte got a license from the Sorbonne also. It has been in several interviews. If they did not ,the French press would call them on it. The press accuses them of things they did not do. Don't you think they would call them on something like this?It also fits the time frame. Charlotte started at Fenelon in 2004 and would have graduated in 2007. She did 2 internships of 1 year each and started riding in the spring of 2009. A license is the equivalent of a US bachelors degree.

PC got a license from the Sorbonne. It's in her biography on the Palace website. I believe that Charlotte got a license from the Sorbonne also. It has been in several interviews. If they did not ,the French press would call them on it. The press accuses them of things they did not do. Don't you think they would call them on something like this?It also fits the time frame. Charlotte started at Fenelon in 2004 and would have graduated in 2007. She did 2 internships of 1 year each and started riding in the spring of 2009. A license is the equivalent of a US bachelors degree.

Medias said that Charlotte had a degree, but Charlotte herself told Vogue that she gave up after prepa. This means that she stopped studying, which means for me, french ex-student that Charlotte doesn't have her degree: prepa years are considered as part of a license only if the student gets university third year ( = last year of license). Charlotte gave up before accomplishing this 3rd year, so she didn't get her degree.
As Caroline's case is concerned, I don't trust a lot biographies. It's the same for Charlotte's case: we have been thinking for many years that she had her degree, and this is Charlotte who gave us the truth, by revealing the real situation. Medias just make the reality more beautiful and classy to sell more!

But i could not believe that the official website of the Palace could publish a lie (about PC having a licence), It is a state site! It could not be lying... Imagine if Sorbonne denies!

Let's not forget she's not the only one who made this choice!

But i could not believe that the official website of the Palace could publish a lie (about PC having a licence), It is a state site! It could not be lying... Imagine if Sorbonne denies!

If it is true, we can imagine that Sorbonne wouldn't deny, because it is a free publicity for the university. Now, in this thread, which name of university is the most quoted? Yale? Oxford? Or Sorbonne? ;)

If it is true, we can imagine that Sorbonne wouldn't deny, because it is a free publicity for the university. Now, in this thread, which name of university is the most quoted? Yale? Oxford? Or Sorbonne? ;)

And what is your source to deny so firmly that PC did get a degree. It´s only your doubt. I wonder why you need to doubt about it. How and why PC, one of the most famous women on earth so such a depictable thing as lie about this. She doesn´t need it. And she is intelligent enough to get a degree in Philosophy and continue studying Children´s Phichology, as she did. We have several sources, the palace and biographies. She had school friends, teachers, principals, and she´s going to lie if so many people know the truth? It would have been a scandal already. It´s ridiculous!

And what is your source to deny so firmly that PC did get a degree. It´s only your doubt. I wonder why you need to doubt about it. How and why PC, one of the most famous women on earth so such a depictable thing as lie about this. She doesn´t need it. And she is intelligent enough to get a degree in Philosophy and continue studying Children´s Phichology, as she did. We have several sources, the palace and biographies. She had school friends, teachers, principals, and she´s going to lie if so many people know the truth? It would have been a scandal already. It´s ridiculous!

Hey, I don't deny it! I only answered to fandesacs. I wouldn't dare to say anything about PC, I don't know her enough. I just supposed that if (and only if!) she had no degree, Sorbonne wouldn't deny it because the presence of "Sorbonne" on the CV of this prestigious princess is a good publicity for the princess.
I just deny that Charlotte got her degree because of what she said in Vogue interview, that's all.

rosana said:
And what is your source to deny so firmly that PC did get a degree. It´s only your doubt.

I gave you a source - a 1992 book written by Jill C. Wheeler and published by Abdo - an established, reputable publisher of children's books and educational books. Unless you can provide another source (including authors, date and publisher) I have no reason to believe otherwise. Saying, "oh I read once.. In this one magazine", does not count as a source.

Another point to bring up.. Wouldn't there have been graduation pictures? I mean we even have pictures of Kate Middleton's college graduation and she was still just a girlfriend at that point.

On a completely different note -- has anyone else read 'The Charlotte Casiraghi Fan Club" ? Just curious! I believe it's a pretty recent book-- it's about Charlotte/the Charlotte media phenomenon (available on amazon). They mention these forums in the book!

Last edited:
I gave you a source - a 1992 book written by Jill C. Wheeler and published by Abdo - an established, reputable publisher of children's books and educational books. Unless you can provide another source (including authors, date and publisher) I have no reason to believe otherwise. Saying, "oh I read once.. In this one magazine", does not count as a source.

Another point to bring up.. Wouldn't there have been graduation pictures? I mean we even have pictures of Kate Middleton's college graduation and she was still just a girlfriend at that point.

I posted the source long ago in this forum. Biography of Princes Caroline by Jose Luis Roig. You do not expect the biography to be online, do you?

rosana said:
I posted the source long ago in this forum. Biography of Princes Caroline by Jose Luis Roig. You do not expect the biography to be online, do you?

The one I mentioned is available on amazon.com. It is part of a series called "Leading Ladies", but I don't think I have come across the Jose Luis Roig bio before.

The same Vogue article said Charlotte had a license from the Sorbonne. It also said she did prepa after Sorbonne. She went to Fenelon first and then would have gone to the Sorbonne for her 3rd year. They obviously were all mixed up so I don't think that article is credible regarding her schooling. I think what Charlotte was talking about was not wanting to retake the ENS test.

I agree that Charlotte is one person who really does NOT have to work a day in her life! and I can't hate her for that, she's extremely lucky and I think she's always presented herself in an appropriate manner- not flashing her wealth around & throwing it in people's faces (Paris Hilton style) and I think that is very admirable.

But this image they want to create is so desperate. If she's soooooo smart, why not put those mental abilities to good use?? Why waste them?? There are many people who have degrees and impressive jobs who don't actually need to work... They choose to do this because they want to remain intellectually engaged and want to contribute their intellectual abilities to the well-being of society. Charlotte must be an ego-maniac if she wants to perpetuate this image of a perfectionist intellectual when theres nothing in her background that can actually prove it..

Why assume that she does not put her mental abilities to good use? Just because she does not live up to a particular academic standard does not mean that she has wasted her mental abilities.

It would be a different issue if there was, say, a televised interview of her and she claimed to have read so and so, and not be able to substantiate any of her claims or come across as ignorant, delusional and arrogant. Or if the article was about philosophy or literature which she said she loves but is unable to give intelligent or significant insights.

But the article as translated in the post by sugarbaby318 (#129) does not really give this impression. Sure, she claims to have a rather voracious reading appetite and a love for philosophy and literature. And I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt. After all, if all her claims were untrue, well that's between her and her conscience. It's not as if I'd stop being interested about her and her family.;)

Why assume that she does not put her mental abilities to good use? Just because she does not live up to a particular academic standard does not mean that she has wasted her mental abilities.

It would be a different issue if there was, say, a televised interview of her and she claimed to have read so and so, and not be able to substantiate any of her claims or come across as ignorant, delusional and arrogant. Or if the article was about philosophy or literature which she said she loves but is unable to give intelligent or significant insights.

But the article as translated in the post by sugarbaby318 (#129) does not really give this impression. Sure, she claims to have a rather voracious reading appetite and a love for philosophy and literature. And I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt. After all, if all her claims were untrue, well that's between her and her conscience. It's not as if I'd stop being interested about her and her family.;)

Anyone can rattle off a reading list... I wouldn't be surprised if she was prepped by a PR person, because that is exactly what a good PR rep would do. Frankly, talk is cheap. Besides the pictures we see of her riding horses, we only ever see pictures of her laying out, going to the beach, chilling on a boat, shopping, going to fashion shows and other trivial things. In addition to that she dropped out of school. To me, she comes off as a lazy slacker. In no way do I believe the public image she attempts to perpetuate.

Especially after that Vogue interview... my advice to her would be... GET A NEW PR REP!!
I thought the same thing after the US Vogue interview where she was questioned about Alex and responded that she could google him. A good PR rep wouldn't have let them use that, or would've established boundaries for the interview from the beginning. Trying to justify dropping out of school by saying she is "such a perfectionist" is like saying you quit a job because you are such a hard worker. LOL

Last edited:
I feel that all this subject of Char + Caro mental abilities/skills becomes an OBSESSION! And starts to be boring.
We do not know if the press image is true but it is not impossible to be true

Yes this is getting very boring. To me, it doesn't change my life if Charlotte got a degree or not. SHe can do whatever she wants and certainly she's adult enough to make out what's good for her.

By the way, where is the family this summer??? No pictures at all???

Sara Palin couldn't name what newspapers she read and she was running for vice president of the US! Charlotte was able to rattle off a number of books and authors. She was a philosophy and literature major. It would be simple for her to do so whether she graduated or not. I doubt a PR person, especially one from Monaco, would go to that much trouble. What would be the point? We already know she's smart and studious from her bac score. You don't go from being smart and studious to dumb and lazy overnite unless you have acquired a mental illness.

I can't believe how cynical some people on this site are. She is like most 20 year olds. She is trying different things to see what she wants to be when she grows up. I'm much older than her and still haven't figured it out.

Last edited:
I know the topic is getting old, but I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents about Caroline and Charlotte's education.

Caroline first.
I wouldn't trust much any Monaco Palace source. Ruling families all around europe have been known not to lie, but to embelish their families (specially political families) curriculae. In Spain, there has been a recent case with princess Letizia and her studies. Some things were truth, some others weren't.
French university system (before the recent european reform) is very convenient for such a trick, because to propely finish your studies (to get what I believe in the US would be considered a bachelor degreee) you have to study 4 years and then you get a maîtrise. The trick is that after only 2 years you get a middle title called a "DEUG", which is little more than a name (it's more or less equivalent to freshman and sophomore years in the us), and after 3 years you get a "license" (that would be junior year in the US I believe), but those are void titles (well they have certain academic value, is long to explain but they are mainly an empty title who doesn't mean you finished your basic university degree).
My point is that you can say that Caroline got a license on philisophy at the Sorbonne, and to someone from abroad it may sound as if she finished her studies, but a french student knows that she did not, because to complete the philosophy course you had to study 4 years and get your maîtrise, if you didn't you're still an undergraduate who left before her senior year.

(wow, my postss are longer and longer lately)
I really have no idea whether Caroline finished her studies or not. I doubt it though. Not because I think she is not clever enough (every body with an average intelligence can get a maîtrisee in Philosophy at Paris IV) but because of her biography. The Palais says she got a license. If she did, she didn't finish her studies, she dropped after her junior year.
Caroline married Junot in 1978, only 3 years after starting the university. I don't know much of her life back then, but somehow I don't see her going to the Sorbonne classroom everyday after her marriage.

Is she an intellectual? Is she not? We probably don't even agree about what we consider and intelllectual. But apparently she does consider herself as one.
I don't even remember if I read it on paper or on the internet but there was a very interesting piece about Caroline and Ernst in the spanish press a couple of years ago. I'm sorry I can't provide more clues, I don't remember where I read it, but it was a pice where they also told the story of a dinner out of Caroline and Ersnt, with a group of friends. They were in Germany or Austria (again I don't remember properly) and it was very hot, and the windows were closed and they couldn't be opened from the inside and Ernst losed his temper, grabbed a bottle and shattered a window pane. Maybe some of you will remember the piece by that story.
In any case it was interesting because the journalist talked to some of Ernst and Caroliine friends and ex-friends people who knew caroline 1st hand.
I remember there was one woman who didn't like Caroline at all. She was obviously resentful because of something so, I would take her words with a grain of salt, when you are angry with someone you are not the most fair of judges, but I remember 2 things she said about Caroline:
-that she was someone who was very nice and pleasant anf friendly with people and then she suddenly gets tired of people and she forgives them and ignores friends.
-that she liked to think of herself as an "intellectual", someone who though was above thee intelligence and frivolity of some of her aquaintances.

This woman was obviously resentful so I don't know how fair these comments are, but even if she tries to put caroline under an ugly light, it is ovbious that caroline cares about culture, and arts, and such and eiher she is, or she thinks she is or she tries to be considered an intellectual

Last edited:
I remember having read that Caroline finisched her GCE a level at the age of 17. Consequenly it makes sense to have effected 4 y in sorbonne and marry insummer of her 21y. Personaly ido not strongly believe that she did so the last year time was too tight preparing wedding etc... But it is not impossible.

Charlotte now!
They are many things we may agree or desagree about but they are 2 things we know for certain:
-she never finished her studies (she's said it herself)
-she got a mention très bien at her bac philo

So, she probably is not the intellectual wonder they are trying to sell, but she certainly is not a slacker and she certainly is not dumb. You don't get a très bien at the bac if you are not either very intellingent or a hard worker, or maybe both at the same time.

She also took a bac philo and took her prépa classes to study philo at the ENS, so I don't think that she is faking at all when she says she loves philosophy, or that she enjoys reading Seneca. Of course she didn't make any deep philosophic considerations! Or maybe she did, and the journalist, wisely, left them out. She was being interviewed for Vogue, not for a high brow intellectual magazine!
I've been critical with Charlotte many times. But if you get a très bien at your bac and afterward you have the project to enter a prestitgious philosophy institution , you certainly are not a slacker and you certainly are interested by intellectual issues, I dont' know how that can be in doubt.

The only problem I see, is the clumsy and corny PR operation that seems to be going on around Charlotte. So much adoration and amazement around her is silly and ridiculous. They talk of her as if she was Einstein reincarnated. They are trying to present her as a freak of nature:
-come see the most brilliant prépa pupil that french teachers can remember!
-come see the amazing teenager who liked better to sort out an old library than going to the beach!
It's like a circus!
And they are making a curious, interesting and probably intelligent young woman who likes to read and loves novels and philosophy look as a pretentious and silly wanabe (Well, maybe it is Charlotte's fault. maybe she is pretentious).

Now, about her un-finished studies.
I totally desagree with the poster who said that the main reason why you go to the university is to get a job. Sadly, more and more people think like this lately.
But I believe that college is much much more. An important experience in the life of a young person, a place where you meet people from diferent backgrounds, where you learn to make choices, to think by yourself, when you study many useless things that will neverthless shape your mind, a period where you lear more things in the corridors, and thee streets around the buildings that in the classroom, but in any case an experience everyone who can afford it should have.

Yes, Charlotte talks about she thought about getting an agrégation. But for god's sake the girl was 18! Everybody makes plans about the things you think you want in the future and then you change your mind. Maybe she would had get it if she had entered the ENS, maybe not, but it is a very valid life plan!

Now, that's totally speculation on my part, but tha'ts what I think about why Charlotte didn't finish he studies:

-She failed the ENS. That probably make her doubt. If she worked so hard and she failed maybe she wasn't so brilliant as everybody had make her believe.

-Her dream was to study and the ENS. Taking a philosophy course at the Sorbonne didn't have the same appeal. At the ENS you are part of the elite, a brilliant future is open to you if you can grab it. At a philosophy course at the Sorbonne? Well, you are a number, one more student among a bunch of losers (I'm being sarcastic here) who will never get a good job and will end as obscure civil servants somewhere. It's not prestigious, it's not shiny.

-Charlotte had been cocooned her whole life. She was used to a personal relationship with her teachers. Yes, she went to a public school at Fontainebleau, but the public school belonging to Charlotte neighbourhood was frequented by wealthy kids, the sons and daughters of prestigious and high bourgeoisy family, it wasn't any public school. At prépa the courses are still very personal and also most people who get to the prépa schools still come from well-off families. But if you want to continue your studies you can't study philosophy in a private university. No Bocconi or Université Americaine for Philosophers.
She had to enter the real public system, real life, for the first time in her life:
At the Sorbonne she was a number. Nobody cared about her, she had to find her way on her own, and many classes were monotonous and boring. Her career probably lost then part of its appeal.

-Let's not forget: she met Alex! No more, close study-type boyfriend. But long distance boyfriend in London. No doubt that was a distraction, or at least something that atracted her out of Paris.

-Most people won't have a chance to have really interesting job experiences at 20, they don't have the contacts and will only get boring jobs as helpers and trainees. You certainly don't get to write an editorial for The Indepent at 20 years old and without any kind of studies! But for her, it was different.
Charlotte was discouraged with her studies and disappointed. She had signed for a brilliant career of normalienne (because the sycophants around her had made her believe that she was special) and she was faced with a boring and grey career as a high school teacher after many years of studying and taking public exams.
But she had other interests. Publishing interested her. And she had contacts. Brilliant contacts who would allow her to start from the top again and to move to London. And so she did.

I don't have trouble understanding of finding likely reason for her dropping her studies. I just don't think a perfectionist would do it. That's the thing I refuse to buy.

I remember having read that Caroline finisched her GCE a level at the age of 17. Consequenly it makes sense to have effected 4 y in sorbonne and marry insummer of her 21y. Personaly ido not strongly believe that she did so the last year time was too tight preparing wedding etc... But it is not impossible.

That would be extremely weird. The french school system doesn't allow you to skip years easily.
Even nowadays if you have a high IQ it is not that easy for the kid to be allowed to jump a year.
But you the palais official site says so aswell. If someone around here had old magazines from 1974-75 we would really know when she did move to Paris.

Last edited by a moderator:
refusing to pose on Marie Antoinette's bed for Vogue Paris is fantastic! If only some starlets in Hollywood had the same self-respect and tenacity to turn down equally stupid suggestions meant to exploit.

Off topic I know, but I just want to say....

In The United States of America if you do not get a college degree of some sort, bachelor's, masters you will not get any sort of work beyond min wage.
(unless you go into sales/marketing, which you don't need a college degree, or civic jobs).

College can be many different things, meeting new people, moving out of state
living on your own, meeting/making friends with people from all over the world, etc...etc...etc.
I went and graduated from NYU, having never been to NYC, my first week was quite nerve racking! But I settled down and loved my time there!:flowers:
No doubt about college changes you, you do a lot of growing up.
But with that said....You go to college to get a degree....so you can enter a profession......so you can better your life. Period. End of sentence.

What is odd is that no photographs of Caroline or Charlotte have ever surfaced as they went in or out of the building called Sorbonne. The explanation could be that they were in another building and the paparazzis didn't have enough manpower to corner all the doors in every building susceptible of holding It's amazing how a thread getting so old continues to generate interest and new input. Here's my two cents' worth:
classes in their field of studies.

I have a very vague recollection of a picture of Caroline inside the courtyard of the Sorbonne and of a girl who, in an article (in Elle, I believe, was quoted saying she used to stalk Caroline in the corridors and was completely in awe of having a princess (and not any princess) taking courses in the same building as she. Perhaps the old-timers would remember it?

It may also be that Charlotte acquired her licence in another way, such as some online courses, and some private lessons with the great philosopher from Liberation, or whatever.

I can't speak for everyone who wonders about that alleged degree, but my position is that it doesn't reflect on her intelligence or determination. The two years at Fenelon are so grueling, they are worth at least three years at U. In the U.S, the student would probably have her junior year abroad, for a change of pace.

Two years after the bac are worth Bac+2, not Bac+0. In the past it meant you got a DEUG, a name which was worth nothing on a resume. In fact it meant you were a drop-out. Now, with the standardization of degrees in Europe, it is not called anything anymore except Bac+2.

There is no graduation party after you get your licence anyway, it is all very anti-climactic, you get your diploma in the mail. So the absence of a graduation party has no significance.
What strikes me about Charlotte is that when we see photographs, she never seems to do anything outside of her circle. It’s always as if she was in a cocoon.

It’s a shame in a way that she didn’t go to the U.S to get an education. By comparison, Caroline Kennedy’s oldest daughter Rose participated in school projects at Harvard, from which she graduated, and gave some very thoughtful answers on a documentary film she did for a film class as part of a class project. You could sense her involvement, the drawing of conclusions based on her experience, her sensitivity. Not to mention that if a large part of her life is millionaire-oriented, she’s been thinking of running for politics and has been around other kids, some perhaps average and a lot of brilliant ones. Anyway, that’s the kind of PR preparation Charlotte needs for her interviews: showing insight from a personal, not general experience that would highlight her curiosity about the world.

Some are always saying, “well she’s only (20,21,22,23,24,25)” but with her potential, well, when do we stop saying, “she’s only…” I won’t go there, the girl does what she darn well wants.

I lost my Internet connection and then was logged out numerous times. By the time I post this, everybody has said what I said, I am like 5 posts behind. Trepstep, I swear we said cocoon at the very same time, it's very telling. I am tempted to go track down my magazines from 1974, 75, but it must be 120F where they are.

The first paragraph is all garbled and I am not allowed to edit myself. Help!

First paragraph
It's amazing how a thread getting so old continues to generate interest and new input. Here's my two cents' worth:

What is odd is that no photographs of Caroline or Charlotte have ever surfaced as they went in or out of the building called the Sorbonne. The explanation could be that they were in another building and the paparazzis didn't have enough manpower to corner all the doors in every building susceptible of holding classes in their field of studies.

About the Palace website saying Caroline graduated, I've been thinking about that.
I disagree with posters who are saying that the Palace is lying.
I don't think they would out and out lie, maybe there is a reason they say this.
Perhaps Prince Rainer made an endowment to the University of Paris, and Caroline received an honorary degree.
After all he "paid" for her annulment from Junot.....:ohmy:

About the Palace website saying Caroline graduated, I've been thinking about that.
I disagree with posters who are saying that the Palace is lying.
I don't think they would out and out lie, maybe there is a reason they say this.
Perhaps Prince Rainer made an endowment to the University of Paris, and Caroline received an honorary degree.
After all he "paid" for her annulment from Junot.....:ohmy:

Vanya, first I want to say, about your previous post, that you are right when you say that most people go to college to get a degree, but what I wanted to say is that going to college is a life experience that is worth per se, and even if Charlotte doesn't need to work or doesn't need a degree to get a job, they are still a lot of reasons why she may have whished to attend college, and a lot of ways in which it would have been good for her.

About this post: Vanya, the palace website does say that Caroline did not graduate but in a very sibylline way. It says that she got a license in philosophy. That means that she studied for 3 years only. A license in philosophy means that she dropped-out before she graduated but you need to know the french university system to decode it. To graduate she would have needed 4 years.

Also, in Europe a private person never makes endowments to public universities. The Sorbonne is a public university and is financed by national taxes and a small fee payed by the students. If Rainier had made an endowment to the university in exchange for any kind of special treatment for Caroline he probably would have gone to court charged with bribery!
Anyway I don't think it would have been legal for him to make such a donation, but if there was a way, it would have been a financial scandal, even if he hadn't asked for nothing in exchange, . The head of state of a fiscal paradise, home of so many doubious fortunes making an endowment to france biggest university? Definitely no!

Last edited:
To be honest I never looked this up I was only going by what I read on other posts that said The Palace says she graduated,
I'll look it up myself.

I know the topic is getting old, but I hope you don't mind if I add my two cents about Caroline and Charlotte's education.

Caroline first.
I wouldn't trust much any Monaco Palace source. Ruling families all around europe have been known not to lie, but to embelish their families (specially political families) curriculae. In Spain, there has been a recent case with princess Letizia and her studies. Some things were truth, some others weren't.
French university system (before the recent european reform) is very convenient for such a trick, because to propely finish your studies (to get what I believe in the US would be considered a bachelor degreee) you have to study 4 years and then you get a maîtrise. The trick is that after only 2 years you get a middle title called a "DEUG", which is little more than a name (it's more or less equivalent to freshman and sophomore years in the us), and after 3 years you get a "license" (that would be junior year in the US I believe), but those are void titles (well they have certain academic value, is long to explain but they are mainly an empty title who doesn't mean you finished your basic university degree).
My point is that you can say that Caroline got a license on philisophy at the Sorbonne, and to someone from abroad it may sound as if she finished her studies, but a french student knows that she did not, because to complete the philosophy course you had to study 4 years and get your maîtrise, if you didn't you're still an undergraduate who left before her senior year.

(wow, my postss are longer and longer lately)
I really have no idea whether Caroline finished her studies or not. I doubt it though. Not because I think she is not clever enough (every body with an average intelligence can get a maîtrisee in Philosophy at Paris IV) but because of her biography. The Palais says she got a license. If she did, she didn't finish her studies, she dropped after her junior year.
Caroline married Junot in 1978, only 3 years after starting the university. I don't know much of her life back then, but somehow I don't see her going to the Sorbonne classroom everyday after her marriage.

Is she an intellectual? Is she not? We probably don't even agree about what we consider and intelllectual. But apparently she does consider herself as one.
I don't even remember if I read it on paper or on the internet but there was a very interesting piece about Caroline and Ernst in the spanish press a couple of years ago. I'm sorry I can't provide more clues, I don't remember where I read it, but it was a pice where they also told the story of a dinner out of Caroline and Ersnt, with a group of friends. They were in Germany or Austria (again I don't remember properly) and it was very hot, and the windows were closed and they couldn't be opened from the inside and Ernst losed his temper, grabbed a bottle and shattered a window pane. Maybe some of you will remember the piece by that story.
In any case it was interesting because the journalist talked to some of Ernst and Caroliine friends and ex-friends people who knew caroline 1st hand.
I remember there was one woman who didn't like Caroline at all. She was obviously resentful because of something so, I would take her words with a grain of salt, when you are angry with someone you are not the most fair of judges, but I remember 2 things she said about Caroline:
-that she was someone who was very nice and pleasant anf friendly with people and then she suddenly gets tired of people and she forgives them and ignores friends.
-that she liked to think of herself as an "intellectual", someone who though was above thee intelligence and frivolity of some of her aquaintances.

This woman was obviously resentful so I don't know how fair these comments are, but even if she tries to put caroline under an ugly light, it is ovbious that caroline cares about culture, and arts, and such and eiher she is, or she thinks she is or she tries to be considered an intellectual
I agree with trepstrep on this!
I just looked up Caroline's bio on the Palace website. It starts off with Caroline's education, a little odd in itself, my first impression anyway.
in english it says she graduated from what the eqv would be for high school, it then goes on to say she received a diploma in philosophy from the Sorbonne, which for us on the other side of the pond, would mean she graduated. But in french, and full disclosure here my french is lousy,
it says she received her "license", which according to trepstrep's posting above means she DID NOT graduate!
It seems to me that the english bio on the Palace website is misleading!
Most english speaking people, american's in particular would think she graduated with a degree in philosophy, but french and people who know how the french education system works know, according to the above posting, that she did not!:sad:
I think my opinion of Caroline has changed (a little bit).:ohmy:

That would be extremely weird. The french school system doesn't allow you to skip years easily.
Even nowadays if you have a high IQ it is not that easy for the kid to be allowed to jump a year.
But you the palais official site says so aswell. If someone around here had old magazines from 1974-75 we would really know when she did move to Paris.

To this I strongly disagree. I do not know how old you are and how is the french system now but at this period it was possible. I have a friend about 6 years younger than Caroline who got her french baccalaureat at the age of 16 and a half and this because she jump the first primary school year. She was born in december so she finished very young. It was not uncommun at this period to jump a year if you knew well to read and write. Now it is not very possible. So maybe Caroline did the same! She was the doughter of the ruling prince and she is far from being stupid.

Last edited:
The biography by Roig also states Caroline started university in the 75/76 academic year. It is probable she had got a degree befroe she got married. It is also probable she continued her studies after the divorce.

She never was the hereditary princess. It doesn´t make sense the palace site declares she got a degree if she did not. Besides, many people know the truth and many people could talk if the Grimaldis are lying.

For me intellectual is a big word for both of them, Caroline and Charlotte. They maybe highly cultured and educated, avid readers.

Back
Top Bottom