Caroline & The Casiraghi's - University Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're sure Pierre is studying economics and pretty sure Charlotte is studying Literary subjects at Sorbonne, so that would logically leave Andrea and law...anyway, Albert was not specific about exactly who was studying what: hypothetically Char could be studying both law and literature, and Andrea might be taking time off; anyway it was reported Andrea studied in the American University in Paris so at one point he was studying something at a university level. The law study is mostly assumption based on Albert's sentence.

- During the tv show "Tenue de soirée "Albert 2 said Andrea studies in New York, Charlotte in Paris and Pierre in Milan and he added that one studied literature and the other the law and the another business.

I conclude that andrea studies litérature and Charlotte the law (to me, it's odd)and Pierre the business according to the words of Albert and the order of his sentence
:ermm:

I have studied for six years in the Sorbonne and I never saw Charlotte. I met Charlotte in 2005 in the subway and I know or it makes its races and some of these practices but maintaining its practices have to change… :neutral:

good night.

Trio Casiraghi Fans

I think he had to answer the question somehow (if it was such an interview) and he did it ambiguously. Albert couldn't have said that andrea lives in Ny and does nothing, nor that pierre burns the gas in milan, and fails all the exams, or charlotte is attending fashion shows and social events. In theory they may all be enrolled in schools, but it doesn't mean they actually attend classes or pass exams. I wonder for how long they will be portraid as being students, until they are 30 maybe, and then what's going to be their official occupation I wonder??

Last edited:
jean paul sarte is a pessimistic philosopher!! his works is somehow very idealistic. anyways charlotte appreciate his work!! is she studyin philosophy in sorbonne just like her mom did?

Hello magazine said that Andrea was studying media and visual arts,but definately not Law

In this week's issue of Point de Vue, there is an article about Andrea's new foundation and he says that he's studying political science in New York. So I guess we can stop the speculation now. :) I find it surprising that his uncle doesn't know what he's studying.
About Andrea studying visual arts, wasn't there an article about his AMADE trip that said he was studying visual arts and political science at the AUP at the time ?

OK, so we know he meant political science when he said law. Yes, two different courses of study and 2 completely different degrees (as law is a professional degree).

That's good that he's doing some charitable work

How do you know Andrea is studing law? I've never read taht Charlotte was studing litterature... All I've read here and elsewhere is tat Pierre is studing econimics.

It is certain that Char was in prépa litteraire for two years. It's a public information since she took the official exams.

Last edited:
Charlotte's godmother told PDV Charlotte is studying lit, didn't she? That's how we had the confirmation of what we suspected, because she had her BAC "very good" in the literature exam and she was at Fenelon, obviously preparing to go to a Grand Ecole (obviously that didn't work out, but that was her plan initially). It will be interesting to see what she does with her License in Philosophy. Her friend Juliette is a grad student now at HEC Paris (business). Juliette already has a degree from ESADE.
maybe Char wants to go for an advanced degree too.
Andrea is studying law?? I heard that he is studying international politics and visual art at AUP (a strange combo, but that's Andrea the gemini, two-headed monster!) :D
I know Felix studied law at Univ. Paris II. Cecile (I thought) was studying to be a fancy chef, but then I heard she was going to film school in the US so I don't know.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I wrote it today and it took only a tiny slice of time, but it made me feel so good and warm and fuzzy inside, just feeling so much contentedness for how things are -- with her, with me, with everything. It's not a perfect world we live in. There are problems. But we can find our way, each of us, and do our best, and keeping a positive attitude makes the world that much bearable, that much enjoyable. Ah birthdays, milestones, how they get us contemplating the big stuff. :D
I sound like a Hallmark card or something.

I think Andrea is studying as what in US we call 'undergraduate' at AUP, possibly preparing for law studies at grad school ('law school').
As an undergrad studying on a 'pre-law' type of course, he could be studying any no. of things, but what I read is that he studies 'international politics', which is something like 'political science' and 'international relations' combined, like learning for a diplomatic career. This would easily prepare him for law school if he wants to do that. But it would also prepare him for any number of things. It's a very good thing for the heir apparent to Monaco's Hereditary Princess. Many a royal-in-training has studied international relations/diplomacy. Also many a future lawyer studied it, so he has lots of options. This is the current info. on him that makes the most sense to me, so that's what I believe. I might be wrong. My source is a royalty magazine, and they like any other publication make lots of mistakes, but this time they make a lot of sense to me.

what about charlotte???
only we saw her going to fashion show to another fashion show...is great to have new photos all the times, but we thought she will study somethin real and not just be a socialitie

All I see of the Casiraghi siblings is party, party and more party
I always wonder where do they get the time to study in different cities since they always seem to be together in exotic locations :lol: :D

All I see of the Casiraghi siblings is party, party and more party
I always wonder where do they get the time to study in different cities since they always seem to be together in exotic locations :lol: :D

Well, university life is no so hard after all. The Sorbonne is not very demanding, so Charlotte can easily go party several times a week and still get good marks. And about her trips, London is so close to Paris with the eurotunnel, that she can go there and come back for a weekend if she wants to. Appart from that we've only seen her in Monaco (occasionally) and skiing during the winter holidays. I think she leads a life perfectly compatible with her studies.
Andrea is a more surprising case since he is supposed to be studying in the USA, isn't he? How is it that he spends so much time in France?

Well, university life is no so hard after all. The Sorbonne is not very demanding, so Charlotte can easily go party several times a week and still get good marks.

Sorbonne is demanding quite a lot, actually. I agree that university life can be an easy and very enjoyable life, but when you are partying so much, it is difficult to write essays, to do the work you have to do by yourself, to read books you have to...
If you want to go further in your studies with good teachers, you need to do a lot. Students have lot of freedom but it's up to them to organize their work-time.

Well there are many pics of them in summer but not so many during the school year, so that's probably when they're studying. I'm student too and I know university is not all about books and studying, I do have much free time actually. I guess it all depends on what you're studying.

Sorbonne is demanding quite a lot, actually. I agree that university life can be an easy and very enjoyable life, but when you are partying so much, it is difficult to write essays, to do the work you have to do by yourself, to read books you have to...
If you want to go further in your studies with good teachers, you need to do a lot. Students have lot of freedom but it's up to them to organize their work-time.

I've studied at Sorbonne IV myself for a year and I did not find it demanding at all. I'm not questionnig the french system though. Unisersity live is not very demanding in any of the countries I know.

I've studied at Sorbonne IV myself for a year and I did not find it demanding at all. I'm not questionnig the french system though. Unisersity live is not very demanding in any of the countries I know.

I have been in Paris IV for four years (till june 2007) and I found it quite demanding. Of course, you have time to party, but you need to give yourself time to study.

I have been in Paris IV for four years (till june 2007) and I found it quite demanding. Of course, you have time to party, but you need to give yourself time to study.

Well, I'd been studying at the Complutense (madrid) for 3 years before I went to Paris IV to get the maîtrise. I did not find it demanding at all, but maybe it depends on the subjets you take. For me it was Lettres Modernes.

Honestyly, I find this a useless discussion, if that, ...
I mean, in every elementary school, high school, and after that, there will always be those who get far (university degrees, for example) by working very hard, and those who don't (necessarily) need to study that hard to get good results, right?
If we just all bare that in mind, accept it, and then continue chatting on about the royals, since this is the place to talk about such matters.

Now I have a question which does concern the Casiraghi's in a way...
Since they're all in different countries...Do they all get summer holiday in june and then start in september, or something?

Thanks for posting this. I can read French fairly well, but what does "en khagne" mean?? I have attempted to look this term up and can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts. Thanks to anyone who can help me out with a translation!

KHAGNE is the name of a special class into the university Sorbonne, which brings you in the meantime with your diploma to have a kind of special title which allows you to teach, or to make special diplomatic studies. Charlotte was in reality in Hypokhagne, it means 2 years of preparation to arrive on khagne, but she failed her exam. It does not meanb that she loose her years, just she wont have this special title, but sje will have her university diplaoma normally.
Sorry if my explanation is very general, our french friends may correct me. but in general line this is.

Khagne is the second year of the preparation for the competitive exam to enter the Ecole Normale Superieure (ENS). The first year is called Hypokhagne. It does not permit you to do anything, unless you pass the competitive exam to enter ENS, in which case, you still have a couple more years to do, at least, but with an excellent preparation that permits you to pass the following competitive exams, especially the agregation, with flying colors, and which in the end lead to teaching. Then you are "normalienne", like Simone de Beauvoir and other prominent intellectuals, and it opens all kinds of doors to you. In other words, it means you're really smart, but means also you had the discipline to endure intensive prepping and kind of postpone adulthood (in terms of the freedom of the university life as opposed to the grueling schedule of classes in the Hypo and Khagne) till you got in there.

After Hypokhagne and Khagne, you have one more year to acquire your "licence", which you can do in a university if you have failed the exam to the ENS. The licence is the equivalent of the Bachelor of Arts degree which in the U.S takes 4 years to acquire. You will still need to acquire your master's degree and pass some competitive exams such as the CAPES or the Agregation, otherwise you are doomed to a life of substituting. And of course, you can go on to a doctorate.

You usually talk about the "two years of Khagne". To prep the students more efficiently, they are done in a reputable high school, Fenelon being one of the finest. The classes are small, you get a lot of attention, it's both very competitive and clannish at the same time, and in my day (I was at Fenelon too), they didn't hesitate to use a little humiliation here and there in front of your peers to encourage you to do better.

Diplomatic studies are done through the ENA (Ecole Nationale d'Administration) which also requires a competitive exam to get in, a very hard one that emphasizes general culture and economics, finance, management, history, current events. You usually get in after passing the first year of Sciences Politiques (Sciences Po), which Caroline failed when she attempted it. It's a lot of memorization and non stop studying. But then you can end up President of France (not that Charlotte would want to...)

I'm just trying to answer CaliforniaDreamin's question. I know it does not belong on this thread. Feel free to move it !

Just realized : didn't mean to brag with the business of being very smart etc. I failed the competitive exam at the end of the 2 years, just like Charlotte ! Entered the third year of licence at the Sorbonne after that. No need to feel ashamed (nor superior !)

Last edited:
^ So Hypokhagne and Khagne are during the university years or are they during high school? (Usually prestigious high schools prepare you for university). Are you only enrolled in these years if you plan to attend ENS, but if you fail ENS exam you take one more year and you have your degree, which would make it 3yrs total? I know it's off topic but its quite interesting especially since it's different from here in N America.

^ So Hypokhagne and Khagne are during the university years or are they during high school? (Usually prestigious high schools prepare you for university). Are you only enrolled in these years if you plan to attend ENS, but if you fail ENS exam you take one more year and you have your degree, which would make it 3yrs total? I know it's off topic but its quite interesting especially since it's different from here in N America.

Everyone who has endeavored to explain this topic has done a great job of it, but perhaps I can simplify it for those who may still have trouble understanding. This is a basic summary of what many have already said on other threads, but maybe it will make it more clear. That's my hope, at any rate. :flowers:

For "high school"/secondary school, Charlotte studed at Lycée François 1er Fontainebleau. She passed her BAC exam with "trés bien" (very good) in 2004. She immediately went into the "hypokhâgne" course at the prep school Lycée Fenelon ("classe preparatoire") in Paris, studying for two years to prepare for École Normale Superieure ("Grand École"). Although she failed to gain entry to "Normale Sup", as stated already, she already had two years of what may be considered upper study (what we would say is like first two years of university). Therefore, in gaining her Licence degree at Sorbonne IV, she only needed one more year, since it's a three-year degree.
An added point of interest: Felix's father, Antoine Winckler, studed (among many other places) at Normale Sup. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom