Caroline & The Casiraghi's - University Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Im sorry tbhrc, I didn't read your statement before posting! I just read the top of my web page and was exciting to have something specific to add for knowing those studies. I'm sorry feel free to delate my post if you think it's neccessary...

Also, I didn't know that Charlotte was at lycee Fenelon... This probably means that she is very smart.

Okay I've started a thread in the members corner: School systems around the world. All your informations about the french school systems belong in that thread. I will delete future posts in this thread regarding this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation,

tbhrc
Monaco Moderator

As it's the time of end-year exams in France, and as the first exams result are actually being known, I'm wondering about Charlotte's chances to get into ENS. I've the impression we've seen her too much in the medias and the parties and events and so... (even if it wasn't so much for everybody of you), and that was too much time IMO lost for her work. Please don't get into a X-round debate about the french school system, but as someone who got through the same cursus, I'm wondering...

Danielane said:
As it's the time of end-year exams in France, and as the first exams result are actually being known, I'm wondering about Charlotte's chances to get into ENS. I've the impression we've seen her too much in the medias and the parties and events and so... (even if it wasn't so much for everybody of you), and that was too much time IMO lost for her work. Please don't get into a X-round debate about the french school system, but as someone who got through the same cursus, I'm wondering...

I wonder if it actually as her first or second time taking the ENS exam. Or if she took the ENS exam last summer and has really been at ENS all this time.
If you think about it, she must have taken her BAC in June 2003. If she started at Lycee Fenelon the following fall, then she would have taken the ENS exam in the summer of 2005. If she had failed it, then she must have taken it again this time, or if she got in, she's been at ENS now for a year.
Or..........she might have actually taken a year off after the BAC and begun at Fenelon in the fall 2004, in which case this would be her first ENS exam.
Personally, I believe she jumped immediately into enrollment at Fenelon in the fall of 2003 and that's how she met Cecile and Felix (because she for sure knew Cecile in October 2003; remember the Karl Lagerfeld photographs exhibit) and she and Felix were a couple by the following summer at least. So I think either this time was her second ENS exam or she has already been at ENS since the fall of 2005.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I wonder if it actually as her first or second time taking the ENS exam. Or if she took the ENS exam last summer and has really been at ENS all this time.
If you think about it, she must have taken her BAC in June 2003. If she started at Lycee Fenelon the following fall, then she would have taken the ENS exam in the summer of 2005. If she had failed it, then she must have taken it again this time, or if she got in, she's been at ENS now for a year.
Or..........she might have actually taken a year off after the BAC and begun at Fenelon in the fall 2004, in which case this would be her first ENS exam.
Personally, I believe she jumped immediately into enrollment at Fenelon in the fall of 2003 and that's how she met Cecile and Felix (because she for sure knew Cecile in October 2003; remember the Karl Lagerfeld photographs exhibit) and she and Felix were a couple by the following summer at least. So I think either this time was her second ENS exam or she has already been at ENS since the fall of 2005.

Why do you think that she had her BAC in 2003? I'm sure that everyone was thinking in June 2004 that she had her BAC and that was also when the resulted appeared in a magazine or on the internet. That would also fit IMO with the French School system and in the months before she was rarely seen anywhere while in 2003 she was still active in showjumping and more events. I'm sure it was 2004 because I finished school at the same time.

No, Charlotte wasn't on the ENS list last summer, and it was confirmed she is studying in prepa this year by her godmother in Point de Vue.

Danielane said:
it was confirmed she is studying in prepa this year by her godmother in Point de Vue.
Really?Do you have this interview??

Kastalia said:

It was not an interview but a quote. I have lost the PdV, so I wouldn't be able to retrace the wholde declaration.

Mrs.Smith said:
Why do you think that she had her BAC in 2003? I'm sure that everyone was thinking in June 2004 that she had her BAC and that was also when the resulted appeared in a magazine or on the internet. That would also fit IMO with the French School system and in the months before she was rarely seen anywhere while in 2003 she was still active in showjumping and more events. I'm sure it was 2004 because I finished school at the same time.

True that, forgot about the published results in 2004. Charlotte seemed really stressed out to me in the summer of 2003, but it must have been because of her getting ready to commence the terminale year. Oh who cares, though, about the precise timeframe! Let's just hope she gets in. We don't have enough royal scholars out there. We need one pretty badly. Party princesses are a dime a dozen, but royal scholars are not so easy to come by.

Kastalia said:
Here it is. Char's godmother doesn't confirm she's studying in prépa, she only says she's studying. I didn't copy the whole fragment, just the sentences related to Char's studies. For people who don't understand French, I'm sorry, I'm studying for my exams, so I don't have time to translate it now. Maybe someone else can do it ?

Albina de Boisrouvray, la marraine de Charlotte témoigne :
« Charlotte a abordé ce premier bal avec toute la simplicité qui la caractérise. Elle était très contente parce qu’elle adore sortir et danser, mais il est vrai que depuis qu’elle est étudiante, elle se concentre complètement sur son travail. Et comme c’est une perfectionniste dans l’âme, elle ne s’accorde pas beaucoup de moments de répits … Demain, elle rentre à Paris et reprend sa vie d’étudiante passionnée … » (Point de Vue)

Coquine said:
Here it is. Char's godmother doesn't confirm she's studying in prépa, she only says she's studying. I didn't copy the whole fragment, just the sentences related to Char's studies. For people who don't understand French, I'm sorry, I'm studying for my exams, so I don't have time to translate it now. Maybe someone else can do it ?

Albina de Boisrouvray, la marraine de Charlotte témoigne :
« Charlotte a abordé ce premier bal avec toute la simplicité qui la caractérise. Elle était très contente parce qu’elle adore sortir et danser, mais il est vrai que depuis qu’elle est étudiante, elle se concentre complètement sur son travail. Et comme c’est une perfectionniste dans l’âme, elle ne s’accorde pas beaucoup de moments de répits … Demain, elle rentre à Paris et reprend sa vie d’étudiante passionnée … » (Point de Vue)

Here is the google translation:

'Charlotte approached this first ball with all the simplicity which characterizes it. She was very content because she adores to leave and dance, but it is true that since she is coed, she concentrates completely on her work. And as she is a perfectionist in the heart, it does not agree many moments of respites… Demain, she returns to Paris and takes again her life of impassioned coed .' PdV

Does anyone know what she is following in Fénelon? A khagne moderne or a khagne classique? If it is a moderne, she is not on the list of ENS this year.

what is the list of ENS? the list of those who are trying to get in or of hose who got in?

clymène said:
Does anyone know what she is following in Fénelon? A khagne moderne or a khagne classique? If it is a moderne, she is not on the list of ENS this year.

Khagne classique, I think. Isn't that the more humanities-focused one? I don't think we will know if she got in until after July20. That's what it says on the calendar of events at ens.fr

Last edited:
cath85 said:
what is the list of ENS? the list of those who are trying to get in or of hose who got in?

There are two lists. The first will be known in a few days, and there are the names of those who are allowed to go the oral part of the exam. The second will be known after the oral part. On this list are the names of those who will get in the ENS in september.

ok thanks danielane!!

Last edited:
I have serious doubts about her trying to get into the ENS. First because we have seen her travelling too much in the last two months but mainly because I'm not sure it will make too much sense. I'll try to explain myself.
Charlotte looks like a very cultured girl, passionated about litterature, languages and this kind of stuff. She got a mention très bien at the Bac and then she had the option to quit her studies (after all she is rich), going to university or starting a more demanding program in a prépa littéraire. I think (but it's just a theory) that she started at lycée fénelon because she is cultured and demanding and the level there is higher than in a universitary DEUG. She had the best teachers and she learned a lot but I'm not sure why she will want to go into the ENS.
What I mean is that I don't think that a girlswith the huge social advantages that Charlotte has would be very interested in becoming a civil servant one day, even a high rank civil servant. I mean, it is obvious that she is a cultured and talented girl who doesn’t want to be a paris Hilton lookalike or spend all her time going to parties, but I can’t see her either working five days a week eleven months a year.
I don’t know. maybe she is interested in a linguistic universitary career and she will enter the ENS to pursue it, or maybe she wants to become a politician (although she seems too shy for that), but otherwise, I don’t see her as a payed civil servant at all.

Tutu, you have a very good point there. I never thought of the fact that she will be obliged to work a couple of years before and I’ve never heard of any way to avoid it. However, she didn’t get in the ENS yet. So let’s wait and see if she’s even going to be admissible. I have my fingers crossed.

Tutú said:
I have serious doubts about her trying to get into the ENS.
No doubt needed. She did participate in the concours. Here's an official source : http://www.interens.org/cgi-bin/sear...sel_pers=41343

Coquine said:
Tutu, you have a very good point there. I never thought of the fact that she will be obliged to work a couple of years before and I’ve never heard of any way to avoid it. However, she didn’t get in the ENS yet. So let’s wait and see if she’s even going to be admissible. I have my fingers crossed.

No doubt needed. She did participate in the concours. Here's an official source : [URL="http://www.interens.org/cgi-bin/sear...sel_pers=41343"]http://www.interens.org/cgi-bin/sear...sel_pers=41343[/URL]

Great find, Coquine!;)

that's really great coquine! so when did those exams actually take place? because she's been seen quite a lot during the last months...

Thanks Ianna and Cath85. The exams took place from the 17th of may till the 23/24th of may (depending on which option she chose). If you scroll through this thread, you’ll see that just during this period we didn’t see any new pictures of her and immediately after this period, she appeared on the Grand Prix de Monaco (probably a well-earned break after the concours :)). Several people already noticed that she was going out much for a student who’s taking the concours. I agree with them but maybe she’s very good in managing her time ?

P.S. Cath85, I see you live in Luxembourg, so I suppose you understand French. You should check the site of the ENS (http://www.ens.fr/concours/index.htm). It’s a very informative site. You’ll find a calendar of the concours and the results will be published there as well.

Please remember that this is not the right place to discuss the different school systems. If you want to discuss them, please do so in this thread:

School Systems around the World

BTW I have moved a lot of posts from Current Events threads to this one. So here you can ask all your questions about their exams and so on.....

Thanks for your cooperation,

tbhrc
Monaco Moderator

WindsorIII said:
The law states that public schools make the grades public. I assumed that the school Charlotte was attending was private.

In any case it does sound strange that they would release people's grades. They don't do that here in the US. The only thing you can get is a confirmation if someone actually graduated from the school or not.

Charlotte's secondary school, Lycee 1er Francois in Fontainebleau, is public. They release the BAC results for all students. Charlotte had "tres bien" grade. I wonder what all the possible grades are. Can anyone shed some light? How are the exams marked? Do you have anything above "tres bien"? What are the marks for below it? "bien" obviously, then what?

The grades in the french school system for the BAC are from "no grade" to "très bien": no grade (corresponding to a mark between 10/20 and 12/20), assez bien (from 12/20 to 14/20) , bien (from 14/20 to 16/20), très bien (from 16/20 to 18/20) and even très bien with félicitations du jury which is very uncommon (from 18/20 to 20/20).
It means that Chralotte was a very good student.

clymène said:
The grades in the french school system for the BAC are from "no grade" to "très bien": no grade (corresponding to a mark between 10/20 and 12/20), assez bien (from 12/20 to 14/20) , bien (from 14/20 to 16/20), très bien (from 16/20 to 18/20) and even très bien with félicitations du jury which is very uncommon (from 18/20 to 20/20).
It means that Chralotte was a very good student.

Thank you very much. Yah, my girl Charlotte is a brilliant student. She's the best.;)

Hi, I'm new here and there is something I don't understand at all!

Every student has to work hard during the year and especially during the exam periods. Even the smartest of them have to work hard, although they feel more comfortable than the less intelligent. So, how can you explain that Charlotte can travel, participate at public events,... during very busy periods for students and succeed at the same time.

Should it be possible that she gets some advantages?

amelie_bracke said:
Hi, I'm new here and there is something I don't understand at all!

Every student has to work hard during the year and especially during the exam periods. Even the smartest of them have to work hard, although they feel more comfortable than the less intelligent. So, how can you explain that Charlotte can travel, participate at public events,... during very busy periods for students and succeed at the same time.

Should it be possible that she gets some advantages?

Hi Amelie! To answer your question....well, if you really sit down and calculate it, you will notice that Charlotte goes to events that are during school holidays and weekends. This was always the pattern when she was in high school and continues now, so it seems.

Coquine said:

No doubt needed. She did participate in the concours. Here's an official source : http://www.interens.org/cgi-bin/sear...sel_pers=41343
Great find. Well, tomorrow the results are getting published so, we will know by them.

In case some of you are interested ,my daughters attended french lycees and when I asked to get the marking system explained relative to a canadian school I was told that the 16/20 is not equal to an 80% like you might think but that it is higher ,the 17/20 is equal to a 92% so I can tell you that Charlotte is doing very well and we should all be proud of her.For my one moment of parental bragging I will tell you that my eldest daughter recieved a felicitations du jury every semester!!! OK I'll stop bragging now.

marlene said:
For my one moment of parental bragging I will tell you that my eldest daughter recieved a felicitations du jury every semester!!! OK I'll stop bragging now.
Wow, you much be darn proud to have such smart daughter!! I hope my daughter would be as smart..(won't know in many many years, she's only 6 months old :p )...IMO, as Charlotte goes out to events and making public appearances, I guess that would be excellent enough...

Back
Top Bottom