A girl for Andrea Casiraghi and Tatiana Santo Domingo - April 12, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you Mart91charmed... We must wait and see. I agree that India is a cool, hippy, original, unusual name and, if she were the daughter of an hippy couple ( oh, well... ) i could go along with the name. But, somehow i think the baby, belonging to such a tradicional family, should have a more convencional name. But, anyway, India can be just a nickname as Sasha is... I don't know... Nothing like wait and see!!! :flowers:

Well, one thing is for sure ; if the little girl's name is indeed India, it certainly is related to the style of her mother Tatiana!:lol:

Is't it a real name India? I remember it was a little British aristocrat, maid of honor in the wedding of Pcs of Wales with lady Diana Spencer. Later she become fashion designer. She was called India.

Yes, she was Lady India Hicks and I think she is a descendant of Churchill?

Is't it a real name India? I remember it was a little British aristocrat, maid of honor in the wedding of Pcs of Wales with lady Diana Spencer. Later she become fashion designer. She was called India.

Yes, she was Lady India Hicks and I think she is a descendant of Churchill?

India Hicks is the daughter of Lady Pamela Mountbatten and David Hicks. Her grandfather was Lord Louis Mountbatten whose mother Victoria of Hesse was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the sister of the last empress of Russia Alexandra Feodorovna. No Churchill connection though.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

So, after Afra (African) Casiraghi, Andrea's cousin, now we have also India.
What's next? America? Italia? France? Joking, of course.

Congrats to the happy family!

Afra Casiraghi's real name is actually Chiara.
Chiara Afra Casiraghi. She's a lawyer and on the Milan's lawyers roster she's listed as such.

India.....well I remember a spiteful character from Gone with the wind who was named India, she was Ashley Wilkes' sister.

Well..There's America Ferrera ahah. Kidding here:whistling:

India Hicks is the daughter of Lady Pamela Mountbatten and David Hicks. Her grandfather was Lord Louis Mountbatten whose mother Victoria of Hesse was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the sister of the last empress of Russia Alexandra Feodorovna. No Churchill connection though.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Mountbatten...that's right! Should have had my morning coffee before attempting to answer..thanks;)!

Actually America, France, and Italia are all legitimate names. Italia is used in your own country, check the stats. And according to French government stats the name France has been used almost 30,000 times since 1900.

:previous: Thank you again Iceflower:flowers: Do you know when the pictures were taken?

I suppose Europa would be nice, after the Phoenician lady abducted by Zeus. India was a popular name among the hip & trendy in the Netherlands 10-15 years ago so I do not find the name all that shocking, esp. compared to some of the atrocities people use these days for their poor offspring. Still, I don't particularly like the name either, but obviously the parents do.

Pss Caroline seems to be beaming with joy.

Last edited:
India is an average name, I do not feel neither pleased nor shocked with. But maybe the name "talks" to the parents.

:previous: Thank you again Iceflower:flowers: Do you know when the pictures were taken?

According to the article Tatiana and the baby left the hospital one day after the birth, so depending on when exactly on Sunday the baby was born some pics could be from Sunday or Monday and the departure pics could be from Monday or Tuesday (morning) :)

Cute seeing Sasha visiting mom and new sister

Last edited by a moderator:
Such lovely news. I really like the name. I think that it goes well with Casiraghi. :flowers:

What does it matter what Tati and Andrea name their children? There is very little chance these children will inherit the Monaco throne so they won't be called Princess or Prince. I'm not at all surprised that Tatiana named her girl India. It's different but not unheard of. I was more shocked that Charlene and Albert named their heir Jacques. It just doesn't sound "princely" to me. Caroline looks totally happy to have a new baby in the family and Sascha is the cutest. Thanks for the photos.

By the way, I had to come here to learn the baby's name since there is zero news of this birth in the States. Not a surprise really since every news organization is waiting for the IMPORTANT birth coming up.;):)

What does it matter what Tati and Andrea name their children? There is very little chance these children will inherit the Monaco throne so they won't be called Princess or Prince. I'm not at all surprised that Tatiana named her girl India. It's different but not unheard of. I was more shocked that Charlene and Albert named their heir Jacques. It just doesn't sound "princely" to me. Caroline looks totally happy to have a new baby in the family and Sascha is the cutest. Thanks for the photos.

By the way, I had to come here to learn the baby's name since there is zero news of this birth in the States. Not a surprise really since every news organization is waiting for the IMPORTANT birth coming up.;):)
I learned about the birth and the name on nameberry so yes it's not out there if your not looking for it.

I think India is a lovely name.I agree if they are unlikely to inherit the throne it's not unusual to select a non royal or traditional name. Zara Phillips and her brother took a less traditional path too when naming their children.There are more choices if they don't go strictly traditional.

Whatever the case congrats to the family. I bet she will be a beauty:flowers:

Andrea and Tatiana give the name they love to their daughter, it is the most important for them. he little one will not a princess of Monaco who will reign . At the first time, I did not like this name but now, I find it lovely. India Casiraghi is fine.

Albert and Charlene gave a royal name to Prince Jacques, it is a royal name in Monaco, there was a prince sovereign called Jacques 1, the hereditary prince will reign with the name of Jacques II

India sounds like one of the characters from "Gone with the wind"... not a pleasent one ;-) of course, doesn't matter. congrats! :D

Front page of Point de Vue instead of HM Queen Margarthe II Glittering Birthday.
Will they sell more magazines with the C. ??

India sounds like one of the characters from "Gone with the wind"... not a pleasent one ;-) of course, doesn't matter. congrats! :D

Right. One of the ugly and vicious Ashley's sisters.
So we have already two known Indias. The proof that the name is not so uncommon!

Right. One of the ugly and vicious Ashley's sisters.
So we have already two known Indias. The proof that the name is not so uncommon!
Catherine Oxenber, daughter of Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia, has daughter India Riven Oxenberg.

Actually America, France, and Italia are all legitimate names. Italia is used in your own country, check the stats. And according to French government stats the name France has been used almost 30,000 times since 1900.

I know, three friends of my late Mom were/are named Italia, and so was named my teacher of Italian at the middle school. ;). My mother had also two friends named respectively Elvezia (Switzerland) and Svezia (Sweden). Italia used to be a popular name in the past, but now it has become very rare. America Ferrera is an actress, and France Gall is one of the most popular French singer. Nothing new, nothing strange. Also one of Beatrice Borromeo's nieces has received the name Angera, after a small town on lake Maggiore, once a feud of the Borromeos.

India is a lovely name and it's not really a surprising choice from them as I thought Sasha was quite unexpected, despite the fact that his full name is Alexandre (though that might be because I'm more familiar with Sasha on girls). However, part of me is a little disappointed, as I was hoping they would give her a more traditional name or revive an underused family name.

Regarding India being a hippie name, Andrea and Tatiana have always seemed as quite hippie to me, which is another reason why I wasn't surprised by it. And as others have pointed out, it already has it's usage in the aristocracy (and the Marquess of Bute's youngest daughter's name is Lola Affrica, with two Fs).

Sasha is adorable in the photos of him leaving the hospital with his new sister, by the way. :wub:

Last edited:
I see they delivered at the prestigious private maternity hospital The Portland.

I am not a fan of the so called "trendy" names like India but it's their choice so why not. I liked the choice of Sasha, although I have to say I did think that was a girls name...

I also immediately thought of India Wilkes from Gone With The Wind and screwed up my nose!

Belated CONGRATULATIONS to andrea & his wife tatiana on the birth of their second child, india. :heart1:

Back
Top Bottom