William, Harry, their Girlfriends and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the photos where most degreating. It looked like they had a long lense right up her dress through the crack in the door of the car. That is the difference between the (pap) just doing thier job and being intruisive. Do they really need pics of Miss Middleton's crouch. Please !!! The press always talks about she should get used to this!!! when she is in public with PW and if she marries him it will be all the time.... Well I ask you this!!! If she does marry William do you think they will finally show her respect enough not to take a pic of the future Princess of Wales, let alone the future Queen's underwear .... I mean really! How Much is one person to take???

I thought the photos where most degreating. It looked like they had a long lense right up her dress through the crack in the door of the car. That is the difference between the (pap) just doing thier job and being intruisive. Do they really need pics of Miss Middleton's crouch. Please !!! The press always talks about she should get used to this!!! when she is in public with PW and if she marries him it will be all the time.... Well I ask you this!!! If she does marry William do you think they will finally show her respect enough not to take a pic of the future Princess of Wales, let alone the future Queen's underwear .... I mean really! How Much is one person to take???

To play the devil's advocate, one could argue that Kate must be very mindful that the paps are always there and more than ready to take the unflattering photo and that she should be so very, very careful in her deportment NOT to give them the opportunity to do so.

To play the devil's advocate, one could argue that Kate must be very mindful that the paps are always there and more than ready to take the unflattering photo and that she should be so very, very careful in her deportment NOT to give them the opportunity to do so.

I think the same could be said of many who are already members of the royal family, though. And we did get that mention a few months ago about the princes' press officer advising Kate to smile when she was photographed...

I'd like to think so caroline mathilda but that doesn't apply to Kate M. It's always the fault of the bad media and intrusive tabloids who keep harrassing the private-citizen-girlfriend of the future King of England by taking pictures on boozy nights out in short dresses. How dare they! And how outrageous to voice the slightest critizism and suggest Kate could be a bit more low-profile to avoid such occasions ... no, Kate should be left alone no matter how she presents herself in well-known paparazzi environments as if she was a no-name girlfriend.

The truth is: Kate knows excactly what to expect from the media when she decides to go out and for me the the only conclusion is: She likes what she sees in the papers the next morning.

I fully agree with Duke of Marmalade. Given the social status of her boyfriend, I think that Miss Middleton is fully aware of her actions and their consequences. It would be deemed prudent for her to lead a low-profile life. However, her recent actions may indicate that she is comfortable with getting negative press.

Right, I'm sure she loves it when pics of her underwear appear in papers. In those 12 seconds she took to get from the club into the car her only thought was - hopefully some of those paps manage to get a pic under my skirt. :rolleyes:
I don't see why anyone should be "allowed" to take such pictures of anyone not just Kate. If she was a random person in the street, the guy would have been convicted for sexual harrassment when taking a pic underneath her skirt but because she's dating the future King she's fair game? She didn't "invite" such pics at all. She just got into a car as fast as she could as the video clearly shows and the photographers took advantage of the situation.
But I forgot, she's supposed to stay at home 24/7 and never leave or dare go out so that noone can take a pic of her at all. :rolleyes: Because girlfriends of future Kings are supposed to live a recluse life ...

There is an enormous difference between Kate's acceptance of the inevitable paparazzi intrusion into her life and the indignation of posters who feel that the paps treat her with complete disrespect and personal disregard. She is nothing more than a piece of meat to them to be exploited in the most intrusive way while they reap the rewards. Yes, she is dating a very high profile man, so of course she expects the media circus that surrounds her and IMO she deals with it as gracefully as she can. Considering how many photos are snapped in the few seconds it takes for her to get into a waiting vehicle, I think it is rather telling that she rarely has a bad photo taken of her. However, this is a far cry from stating unequivocally that she enjoys her press. She can't afford to look annoyed or pouty at the intrusion. Think of those photos and the resulting stories that would be plastered all over.

I don't begrudge the paps making a living, but when they sell a photo of their subject that was taken in an instant of blinking at the multitude of flashbulbs and market it as "bleary eyed after a night out" or "looking visibly distressed" it is just sensationalism and a real insult to the public's intelligence. I must have missed the "panty photo", but I'm not suprised as it would not be the first time for such a claim. Usually what the paps try to flog as a normally discreet woman's panties in a photo turns out to be nothing more than a part of her dress or, in Sarah Ferguson's case a few months ago, part of a coat that she was wearing.

It does not matter how you put it, many people will not feel sorry for any celebrity or private person just because they are hunted by paparazzis.

If I remember rightly Kate Middleton modeled underwear at University when she was there, there were photos of Prince William being in the audience supporting her.
The Papparazzi are part and parcel of hanging out with royalty and so she should be a bit more careful, she must know they are dying to get an indiscreet photo, they can get more money for one like that for sure. They are professionals making a living, perhaps in a way lots of people wouldn´t like to, but they exist and Kate will just have to learn to deal with them.

If I remember rightly Kate Middleton modeled underwear at University when she was there, there were photos of Prince William being in the audience supporting her.
The Papparazzi are part and parcel of hanging out with royalty and so she should be a bit more careful, she must know they are dying to get an indiscreet photo, they can get more money for one like that for sure. They are professionals making a living, perhaps in a way lots of people wouldn´t like to, but they exist and Kate will just have to learn to deal with them.

Oh NO there is a diffrence between modeling in a fashion show for charity and having some scum bag stick a lense up your dress when you are not looking, be it from two miles away...right or wrong. Yes it is there job and yes they all need to make a buck but come on. To defend my last post not to be someone who does not think she should not have her picture taken. because i like to read the papaer and loving to read about the life of royals and thier partners may it be spouse or dating. There is a line to be drawn. I think she deals with them day out & in very well .... any thing I write here is (IMO) only and I don't mean to offend any one...

I was not disparaging her, I remember she modelled underwear that is all. No one wants someone to stick a camera where they shouldn´t but she should be a bit more careful and I don´t think it is that difficult to be more careful. There is a line to be drawn but how can she? The only way she can is to be more careful because the papparazzi are NOt going to draw any line, of that you can be sure.

Sadly, it's just another example of how awful the papparazzi has become. I feel for the couple because I'm sure they like to go out with friends and have a good time like other people their age. But look at the results! Cameras everywhere and then their faces plastered on the front page the next day. If they stay at home every evening things get made up that they are splitting up or whatever. It's a no win situation no matter what they do.

Isn't it the case that they got together AFTER the modelled the underwear?

Maybe, but I am sure I remember the newspaper showing William in the audience to support her..... Maybe it was at the beginning of the romance and after that he :wub:

well in any case, it sort of destroys the premise that she should have known better than to pose in underwear. She wasn't the girlfriend of the heir, so she could walk around starkers if she felt like it.

I was not disparaging her, I remember she modelled underwear that is all. No one wants someone to stick a camera where they shouldn´t but she should be a bit more careful and I don´t think it is that difficult to be more careful. There is a line to be drawn but how can she? The only way she can is to be more careful because the papparazzi are NOt going to draw any line, of that you can be sure.

Well, I did not mean for her to draw a line.I ment for the papparazzi to draw the line a moral line. I know it is alot to ask but some of us would hope that it would still be possible. but i do agree with you that they won't ....it is just a shame ...I believe that fashion show was where they report he first noticed her...if you know what i mean ....

well in any case, it sort of destroys the premise that she should have known better than to pose in underwear. She wasn't the girlfriend of the heir, so she could walk around starkers if she felt like it.

Actually Envoy I think she was already his girlfriend, or at least just become his girlfriend, but I am not arguing as I just can´t remember, there is sure to be some eagle eye Kate/Will fan here:cool: that can tell us.
Actually I am glad she didn´t walk round starkers, that would have caused her a great deal of trouble later on for sure. :ohmy:

You can't believe anything really unless its a really reputable news source and even then take it with a grain of salt. Look at the scandal with the NY Times not too long ago- a reporter was faking his stories and no one bothered to check his sources were real.
Judith Miller was a rogue reporter and very much an anomaly -- for the NY Times -- with the exception of Bill Kristol, who is a political hack they hired for comic relief on their op-ed pages IMO, the point being he's writing his opinion. Miller should rot in jail. Or the place that rhymes with jail. Kristol's tenure at NYT began with him -- rather the paper if I remember correctly -- having had to make two retractions. But generally speaking, I tend to believe a bit more of what I read in The Gray Lady over most others. So when Adam Nagourney says on the front page that a naked William with a laurel wreath on his head proposed on bended knee to Kate, I'd pretty much believe it. LOL

I remember the kid you're referring to. Yeah, he was scandalous and the editor I think resigned. But still, NYTimes is one of the best in the business.

Yes, exactly, Jo! The editor could have taken the high road and not published that picture. But I suppose that he/she decided that people will buy a paper with a picture of Kate's bra.:rolleyes:

yes that is correct in an ideal world but get real please, this is boulevards' territory. the editors of the tabloids are paid to print such pics, not to single them out. in britain kate middleton is seen as a celebrity (A with prince william, B without him) and whenever she appears in the same places as footballer's wifes or all the other people who are famous for being famous she's being treated as such by the papers.

such appearances are harmful for kate's image because the public will see the bra pictures and think ok she's no better than lily allen etc all these pseudo-celebrities who like flashing off their underwear on a night out to ensure they'll make headlines the next day.

chelsy davy is probably a much naughtier girl than kate but because of her motto "work hard, party hard" people will overlook the night-out pictures because the next day they'll see her in a conservative suit, working for the queen's lawyer and the papers even let her get away with nepotism.

yes, life's not fair but whilst chelsy has proven clever enough to deal with such a fact the right way, kate keeps struggling to get her act together, causing polemic every step of the way.

I would think when those royals and their hanger-ons show up at these Paparrazzi infested drinking holes, it's a plea for attention in and of itself.

How do you define "paparrazzi infested drinking holes"? It so happens, most top and trendy night clubs in London have photographers perched outside. To let the photographers decide were you can and can't go is just ludicrous, in my book! Its not that W&K are seen out very often - this was meant to have been the first sighting of them at a late night venue since August.

I don't think this is a particularly important or harmful issue (the flesh colored bra was actually the least vulgar thing about her outfit) but it is non-the-less slightly embarrassing

Like I said previously, most people in London would not bat an eyelid to see a little bit of a woman's bra showig if she was leaning to get out of a taxi. Perhaps we just have a more permissive society in London than you are used to.... :)

which clearly brings out the green eyed monster in some!:wine::whistling:

oh yes of course the usual ultimate argument in the debate ... at the end of the day the green eyed monster must be behind everything. it's getting boring.

Like I said previously, most people in London would not bat an eyelid to see a little bit of a woman's bra showig if she was leaning to get out of a taxi. Perhaps we just have a more permissive society in London than you are used to.... :)

they don't since in the public view kate middleton has arrived on the level of b or c celebs, wags, attention seekers, social climbers or professional party attendees who go to the clubs and flash their underwear on a daily basis to make it into the papers. the unfair thing is that this image only applies to kate, not to william who for some reason is saved by his royal title.

How do you define "paparrazzi infested drinking holes"?
The answer is included in the question.
It so happens, most top and trendy night clubs in London have photographers perched outside.
Only a certain type of clubs: the one that cater to people who want to be 'seen'.
I guess this is my natural prejudice against trashy dens (whisky, Boujis, Tramps, etc) that is seeping in: bad commercial music, extortionate pricing, and the appalling crowd!
These places where the Royals hang are filled with footballers and their Wags, coked-up socialites, shady Russians and their money honeys, drunken bankers and layabouts let loose with daddy's credit card.
But those are their friends, apparently.
To let the photographers decide were you can and can't go is just ludicrous, in my book!
You are right. I suppose I am projecting my own tastes on them: I would rather have a house party than be caught dead in these clubs (there are amazing clubs in London that have outstanding music and are not besieged by paps).
However, since they decide to go to these place knowing paps will be around, they both must be aware that all mishaps will be documented, and take little preventive measures (like closing a coat).
Please put my comment in its context: I have said I don't think it is a major issue (full disclosure: I am not an Amish), but it wasn't a minor slip that can be laughed about and forgotten immediately afterwards.
Remember that pic was published in a National paper. You can't tell me that isn't at least slightly embarrassing.
She probably also possesses a paper bag, perhaps she should use that to avoid upsetting the 'apparent' puritans on this forum
You definition of puritanism is most interesting. Then again, it has been established we don't speak the same language.
which clearly brings out the green eyed monster in some!
I really don't miss high school but some do apparently.

....they don't since in the public view kate middleton has arrived on the level of b or c celebs, wags, attention seekers, social climbers or professional party attendees who go to the clubs and flash their underwear on a daily basis to make it into the papers. the unfair thing is that this image only applies to kate, not to william who for some reason is saved by his royal title.
I think it's a bit much for any one of us here to state what the general public's view is or isn't on any of those we discuss. To some that is what she may appear to be, to others she's not. Some might not bat an eyelid at the sight of Kate's bra, others might find it appalling. We can really only speak for ourselves on topics like this.

Personally I think she needs to be a little more careful. It is wrong that she is followed by photographers when she goes out for a night but that's the way it is, and has been for her for a long time now. She should try to keep it in mind that the press will use these type of photos if they can get them. I don't think it is exactly fair but what can you do :ermm:

Only a certain type of clubs: the one that cater to people who want to be 'seen'.
I guess this is my natural prejudice against trashy dens (whisky, Boujis, Tramps, etc) that is seeping in: bad commercial music, extortionate pricing, and the appalling crowd!
These places where the Royals hang are filled with footballers and their Wags, coked-up socialites, shady Russians and their money honeys, drunken bankers and layabouts let loose with daddy's credit card.
But those are their friends, apparently.You are right. I suppose I am projecting my own tastes on them: I would rather have a house party than be caught dead in these clubs (there are amazing clubs in London that have outstanding music and are not besieged by paps).

I don't know how well you know the club scene in London, and when was the last time you went to a trendy night club in London. Would you like to name some of the clubs that would meet your approval?

We can agree to disagree on this, but to suggest that going out to nice night clubs occassionally is only to be seen is not something I will agree with. Perhaps you dissapprove of posh restaurants as well, and in your book, the only people who eat there are ones who like to be photographed??

However, since they decide to go to these place knowing paps will be around, they both must be aware that all mishaps will be documented, and take little preventive measures (like closing a coat).Please put my comment in its context: I have said I don't think it is a major issue (full disclosure: I am not an Amish), but it wasn't a minor slip that can be laughed about and forgotten immediately afterwards.
Remember that pic was published in a National paper. You can't tell me that isn't at least slightly embarrassing.

I really don't think its such a big deal (and I do think that it is a "minor slip" and not a "mishap"), but you clear to seem to think so, and thats fine - you are entitled to your view. I am sure I have seen enough "classy" people in Paris with the odd bit of bra showing, without most people getting worried about it.

The fact that a "national" tabloid chose to run the picture is only indicative of its low standards, and to some extent, indicative of its dumbed down readership (why would they publish it if their readers would not appreciate it)

You are right. I suppose I am projecting my own tastes on them: I would rather have a house party than be caught dead in these clubs (there are amazing clubs in London that have outstanding music and are not besieged by paps).

While I'm sure that there are amazing clubs in London that are not besieged by paps at the present, it stands to reason that the minute William and Kate start to frequent one regularly, the paps will besiege that one too. W&K are one of the reasons that they haunt Boujis, Mahiki etc after all.

If you have a view that Kate is a "b or c celebs", thats fine - but you must have some basis to suggest that the public think along the lines you do?

i think that tabloids or especially the weekly tabloid celebrity magazines to a certain degree reflect public opinion or public interest, otherwise they would not exist (let's leave out the intellectual standard or who has what intentions behind the scenes). the fact that kate middleton appears in these magazines alongside all these celebrity people as soons as she's out there is an indication that in public she's widely seen as one of them, at least for me.

i think that tabloids or especially the weekly tabloid celebrity magazines to a certain degree reflect public opinion or public interest, otherwise they would not exist (let's leave out the intellectual standard or who has what intentions behind the scenes). the fact that kate middleton appears in these magazines alongside all these celebrity people as soons as she's out there is an indication that in public she's widely seen as one of them, at least for me.
Look in any of the newspaper 'entertainment sections' or celeb magazines and they all include royalty, including W & H, C & C etc. Sadly all the weekly magazines reflect is the mentality of their readers, who pour over stories such as 'my husband was my wife and he/she ran off with my best friend straight after the ceremony', certainly NOT the views of ordinary members of the public, IMO.

Upon reading the discussion, I am inclined to agree with views of Duke of Marmalade, Boris, and Idriel on the matter. It appears to me that being Prince William's girlfriend is the excuse of Ms. and Mrs. Middleton for absolutely everything, including the current wardrobe malfunction. They have displayed a total inability to manage the mass media. One can not blame paparazzis endlessly. Although I see nothing wrong with desire to marry up, some actions of Ms. and Mrs. Middleton lack finesse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom