William, Harry, their Girlfriends and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's horrible how some people think she should put up with not being allowed a private holiday or any private moments. I'm surprised she hasn't sued these parasites before. So what if she is dating the Queens grandson, even if she marries him, it doesn't give anyone the right to take pictures when she is just living her life. God it's people with that belief that contributed to the death of the princess.

I agree,to a point but, I was being smart to my friend with a dry sense of humor ... sorry next time I will PM it ...:flowers:

You know I took it as a simple acknowledgement that along with the families the girlfriends also knew what the young men had gone through rather than a specific reference to Kate.

I'm sorry but for one i'm not dating the Queens Grandson, he comes with press, thats his "baggage".
They've been together 8 years, no engagement the press are getting anxious.
If I was in Kates shoes and I was the one being photographed, yes I'd sue, but I would've expected this to happen.
When she has a title, she can moan.
Thats my opinion.
To be honest I don't understand your point. Do you mean if one day they do marry and she is a public figure then she has the right to complain but now when she is a private individual she doesn't? :confused:

IMO I'm sure she does know that she will be photographed when she is out and about in public places, attending events with William, at clubs or watching William playing polo etc and imo she deals with it all quite well. Being photographed during your Chirstmas holidays with your family while on private property is another matter altogether, especially when the Royal Family are able to demand no photographs be taken of them while doing private things during their holidays.

Being photographed during your Chirstmas holidays with your family while on private property is another matter altogether, especially when the Royal Family are able to demand no photographs be taken of them while doing private things during their holidays.

I think you have made the best statement yet on this thread. Hit the nail on the head. Thank you....:flowers:

I don't think so. I'm sure William wasn't the only one who had a girlfriend out the group of young men. Charles was obviously aware that none of the young men were married yet (I'm sure he found out beforehand), as he didn't mention "wives". Hence, he said "your parents and girlfriends".

Maybe, Maybe Not, who knows it was a nice gesture to all then. right...

Yes Lady Ann it was a nice gesture to all. :flowers:

Being photographed during your Chirstmas holidays with your family while on private property is another matter altogether, especially when the Royal Family are able to demand no photographs be taken of them while doing private things during their holidays.
Just to clarify, the Middleton's were on a commercial property.
I don't care if the Middleton's sue the press, that is certainly their right. However, I wish they would stop dragging the Royals into their personal issue. It's as if they're using the Queen's statement a while ago as their "excuse" for suing. The Queen was not referring to wherever the Middleton's spend their holiday. The Royal Family were referring to their own private property at Sandringham. The Queen is trying to put a stop to papparrazzi always sneaking onto her private estate to take photographs.

How are the Middleton's using the Queen's statement?
They are demanding the same rights as any other private family whereas the Queen's family is a public family.
If the Queen can have privacy on her private property why can't private individuals have privacy on private property that they are using at the time?
What you seem to be suggesting is that the Queen can ask for privacy but private individuals can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter if the property is available to rent or not, it is still not public property. They have as much right to be able to go about their daily lives without being photographed there as they do in their own home. They were not playing tennis on a public tennis court, they were not eating their Christmas lunch (if that turns out to be true) in a public dining hall, they were in a property that they had rented (or if the daily star is right, were given) for the holidays.

How are they dragging the Royals into their personal mess exactly? The only reason that Kate is being photographed is because of her relationship with William, if anything William being Royal is what dragged Kate into this (yes I know she has a choice). The Queen is trying to put a stop to the paparazzi, so is Kate. Why is it OK for the Queen to demand no photos during Christmas (which mostly are taken from the roads and not by people sneaking onto the property) and not for Kate? And while the Queen may or may not have meant for Kate to be included in her warning the British press seem to have included her as not one of them published the photos.

How are the Middleton's using the Queen's statement?
In the articles they made many references to Royalty including the Queen's statement she made awhile ago.

They are demanding the same rights as any other private family whereas the Queen's family is a public family.
I never said they couldn't. Quite the opposite, I said "that is certainly their right".

If the Queen can have privacy on her private property why can't private individuals have privacy on private property that they are using at the time?
This is not a private property. It's not owned by a private individual. It is run by the Duchy of Cornwall entity and let out to the public. It has nothing to do with their right of suing or not, I was just clarifying that it is a commercial property since people keep calling it a private property.

What you seem to be suggesting is that the Queen can ask for privacy but private individuals can't.
No I was not suggesting that nor did I say that.

About the Duchy - The Duchy of Cornwall Cottages
The Duchy of Cornwall is a well-managed private estate which funds the public, charitable and private activities of The Prince of Wales and his family. The Duchy consists of around 54,521 hectares of land in 23 counties, mostly in the South West of England. Restormel Manor is one of the most historic and cherished houses owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and sits within the heart of the Duchy of Cornwall's historic estate approximately 1 mile from the attractive medieval town of Lostwithiel.

So although it is not the POW private property it is a private estate of the Duchy of Cornwall. Which was either rented by the Middleton's (kate) or gifted for Chrismas or should I say gifted to Kate and in fact it is Kate that is suing the press not the Middletons. I think as a private person Kate has more right to say don't take my photo then any one in the Royal Family.... you know with them being Public figures and all not that I think them Public property. like some IMO of course. Anyway, this could go on for ever before the mods come and tells us to move on maybe we should.

oh just becuse an articale say "the statement of the Queen" or makes a refrence to Royalty does not mean that Kate is using those details in her law suit.

I don't believe that this is the case. It's the papers that keep bringing the Queen's statement into this issue, not the Middletons. A person should be able to play tennis on private property without being photographed, especially if the person has absolutely no public role.

It's as if they're using the Queen's statement a while ago as their "excuse" for suing. The Queen was not referring to wherever the Middleton's spend their holiday. The Royal Family were referring to their own private property at Sandringham. The Queen is trying to put a stop to papparrazzi always sneaking onto her private estate to take photographs.

I think I may just buy this weeks issue, see what there take on this is. :)

I don't believe that this is the case. It's the papers that keep bringing the Queen's statement into this issue, not the Middletons.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Middletons were behind the articles released.

I don't think the middletons have that much control over what is written about them.
I don't think they like the fact that this news has been published, and I don't think it's them bringing in the Queens Statement, they didn't write the articles.

Well, you don't know that they didn't. Perhaps they did, perhaps not. You never know, it's not that difficult to leak things to the press. ;)

I think if they had any sort of power with the press, the not so nice articles about Kate and her family that have been published would not exist. The Royal Family will always be brought into it when Kate is mentioned in the press because her connection with them is the only reason why anyone knows who she is.

Well, you don't know that they didn't. Perhaps they did, perhaps not. You never know, it's not that difficult to leak things to the press.
I suppose you can leak anything you like but I don't think you get to write the article yourself. Sure, they could have contacted the media and said we are brining legal action against a photographer and an agency, but the tone of the article and any other content is up to the paper not the source. It is also a dangerous game to play, particularly if you have previously made complaints to the PCC about certain newspapers, like Kate has done. The media do not like to be played with.

Actually the press has been rather nice to Kate and her family lately, especially Hello Magazine.

I think that it would be counter-productive for the Middletons to release information to the media saying that they were suing a media source. It's sending a mixed message.

Sure, they could have contacted the media and said we are bringing legal action against a photographer and an agency....
Yep, they sure could've....

I am kind of new to all this debate and haven't really followed this particular royal family since Diana died. But why is the Kate girl getting so upset over a few pictures? It's not like the pictures were of her inside the cottage and the photographer used a wide-ranged lens to snap her in her bra and panties. They were out playing tennis for crying out loud! Seems to me this girl likes to create drama! I remember a few years ago hearing about her getting upset when there was a few too many photographers snapping her on her birthday. She needs to pick her battles and focus on winning the war even if she loses a few battles. If she gets upset at this small infraction how will she deal with it if William does indeed propose? And just when is he going to do so? He sure is taking his time about it, now isn't he?

She is upset because she is a private individual doing private things on private property and therefore her privacy was invaded by this photographer.
She has as much right as anyone else to be able to go outside and enjoy herself on private property without being subjected to paparazzi, in particular, and others, taking her pictures.
Even if she ever joins the royal family this right to privacy should be hers as a right.

The general public do not have a right to see photos of people in the public eye doing things in their off duty hours, unless those photos show them doing something that could compromise them doing their official duties e.g. a prime minister seen taking money from a lobbyist at the side of the swimming pool of said prime minister but just a photo of the PM and family enjoying a bbq around said pool - no we don't have a right and nor do we have a right to see photos of Kate playing tennis as she is enjoying her life on private property and is a private individual.

William will propose when he is ready (and he may already have done so for all we know). We will be told when he and Kate are ready which could be today, tomorrow, later this year (after the British general election), next year, sometime in 2012, in 2013, after he has finished his military duty, or sometime after that or never.

Very well said and I agree.

I think there is a miscommunication here. I only questioned why she was getting upset over this when there could possibly be far more invasive encounters with the media. I wouldn't get nearly as upset over having my picture taken playing tennis as I would, say of someone using a camera with a lens that allowed them to see into my bedroom or bathroom. Of course, if I am in the city I would have the curtains drawn, but out in the country I probably would not be so cautious. That is all I meant by my previous comment. :flowers:

Point taken Lavender. The problem is that the photographers were on private property when they got their tennis pictures and walking around the property to get the shots which is trespassing since they hadn't permission to enter the place. When Kate and her family can see the photographer outside their window with the camera pointed straight at the family clicking away, it's an intrusion. I'm sure we all would be incensed at someone taking pictures as we go on with our daily lives and the reason we keep our drapes closed especially at night is that we don't want unnecessary intrusion into our private lives. Right now Kate is still a private citizen and deserves to be treated as the rest of us. :flowers:

You have to understand that this is not the first time something like this has happened. She has been dealing with this for 7 years or so now, has had her picture taking while out shopping, eating, walking to work,taking out her trash, getting out of a cab while a pap uses a wide lens to shoot her underwear. Christmas is a time for family and most of us would think a private time. She has also filed charges before so it is not like anyone should be shocked. Some people think because she dates William she is public property, but she really has the same rights as you or I.:flowers: Welcome to The Royal Forums.

I see your points but I am not completely sold on the idea that because she has not yet married Prince William she should be left alone when she isn't around him. I also would like to point out (hoping no one nails me to a wall for this,lol!) but if he had already married her a long time ago then she wouldn't have to worry about this now. There is another site like this one that I have only read the comments and not made any real opinion of her yet. That site is quite anti-Kate (that is their term not mine). They seem to think this was the attempt on the part of her and her family to get money because there is rumors that they have spent all of their money trying to keep up the lifestyle of a social class they are not really a part of and the term use for her is "Waity Katy". There are other names, but that one is the least offensive. What has this girl done to make them so mad at her? It can't be all jealousy. I hope its not a mistake to discuss or comment in here on that area. I certainly do not want to get into a heated debated like there seems to go on over there. Do all of you like Kate or what?

I like Kate and have noticed especially in articles in the Daily Mail that the press seems to paint Kate and her family in a negative light yet when it comes to Chelsy the press is lavish with praise. I'm sure I'll have a lot of criticism, but Chelsy's father is friends with the Dictator Mugabe and there have been some items published that he has at one time been involved in some rather shady dealings. Of course, Chelsy is not at fault at all for what her parents do or don't do, but they have pushed their daughter's relationship with a Prince as much as Kate's.
When Kate and William broke up, the press was practically gleeful and with the Harry/Chelsy split, the papers were almost in mourning. I don't understand why the Middletons are portrayed as the persona of evil while the Davy's are lauded? Can some of our members from Great Britain/Commonwealth answer? Thanks!:)

:previous: It's just a guess but I think the English class system has a lot to do with it. The Middleons are part of it but the Davys are not so some real thought has to go into finding reasons Chelsy is not suitable to hobnob with the BRF. And they are from one of the wild former colonies, and that adds an element of interest and danger that makes Chelsy more interesting, too.

:previous:

I agree. Plus the press - and the British tabloids perhaps in particular (Daily Mail e.g.) - likes it to create stereotypes.
I also think that "wild" Chelsy simply could seem a bit more interesting and entertaining for the press than Kate, who appears a bit more conservative in her clothing and behaviour than Chelsy (not exactly my opinion, just a thought). And we all know, they only want to sell their papers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom