William, Harry, their Girlfriends and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As there was a follow-up phone call which indicated that the invitations were passed onto the sisters I do see it as rude that they didn't have the common decency to reply. However my experience is that people under about 40 don't bother with replies when not attending. This does reflect badly on Kate in my opinion, as it is clear that she did receive the invitation but chose to ignore it.

IMO, you cant always believe everything you read in the tabloids!

Even the Daily Express mentioned it. Are they also trashy?

I'm not trying to argue with you here. I'm just posting what is going around the media today.

Lets just say the Daily Express and the other tabloids are not really known for high quality journalism!

Even the Daily Express mentioned it. Are they also trashy?

I'm not trying to argue with you here. I'm just posting what is going around the media today.

The only papers you can really "Trust" IMO are The Telegraph and The Guardian.
I'm not trying to argue either, it's just that when it comes to The Royal Family, especially Kate you can't trust what they say.

For the first time, I agree with a comment by a Daily Mail reader:

I am involved with a charity that sends out 600 invitations to the great and the good to a formal event. We expect to receive 200 replies and would never reveal who had or had not responded. Shame on the organisers.

Read more: Kate Middleton snubs Fashion For The Brave dinner for war heroes | Mail Online

Also, I don't see how its possible that no one from the Duke of York's camp did not respond back to the organizers on behalf of the York Princesses. That seems unlikely.
All the work and invitations that the DoY receives, and this one slipped thru the cracks?

And did anyone notice that this article was written by Richard Kay. So is he back in the inner circle. How does he know this for sure. Why would the charity contact him? It appears that they it was a positive affair, and they made a lot of money. Very weird and not too credible if you ask me.

I am involved with a charity that sends out 600 invitations to the great and the good to a formal event. We expect to receive 200 replies and would never reveal who had or had not responded. Shame on the organisers.

^^^^
Is that the comment Zonk, because I completely agree with it as well. It's kind of a "name and shame" act, which is very cruel.
You'd think they would be more bothered about two ACTUAL Princess' not replying to an event, rather than Kate and her sister?

^^^^
Is that the comment Zonk, because I completely agree with it as well. It's kind of a "name and shame" act, which is very cruel.
You'd think they would be more bothered about two ACTUAL Princess' not replying to an event, rather than Kate and her sister?

Agree with you, advertising the fact does not appear to be very polite either.

Although it was not polite I should imagine they were very hurt and were letting of steam about it. They probably didn´t want to openly state they were upset with the Princesses, although it was impolite if these two didn´t write their excuses, but Kate Middleton and her sister are not yet of any importance and were probably invited at the same time the charity sent out an invitation to Prince William, purely as a polite gesture.

And yet does it not appear contrived that the venom of the DM is just being thrown at the Middletons? Is that right? Why not the Yorks? So the Middleton's of are no importance, but they are important to invite and then throw to the wolves? How does that make sense?

If they did in fact receive an invitation and didn't respond, yes it was rude and thoughtless. Unless, of course, the possibity exists that they never saw the invitation. And yes, according to the article someone said that Kate and Pippa knew about it. But yet Richard or the charity organizers NEVER actually spoke to Kate so we really don't know if she received it or not.

Basically I believe there is some credibility issues with this story. Richard Kay is not Walter Cronkite and frankly, I find it odd that people pick and choose what stories of his to believe. We don't believe his stories about Charles and Camilla, but we believe them about Kate? If he doesn't know what is going on with Charles and Camilla, what makes us think he knows what is going on with his son and his girlfriend?

And definitely shame on the charity or the person who spoke off the cuff. Would make one think in the future about dealing with them. They have broken one of the rules (at least mine) of dealing with well known figures and charity: Do no harm to people you might need (or might seek their patronage) in the future.

Last edited:
Is it perhaps possible that Kate recieved her invite with the one William recieved? Therefore when William declined, he declined for her as well?

It is out of order, that the DM have chosen to focus on Kate and Pippa, rather than two royal princess', who have been in the limelight for not doing enough lately. This would have been a nice oppurtunity to see them.
Also the article says,

‘At the Palace, we were told both girls were at university, but we still didn’t get a formal response, which we think — to put it bluntly — is pretty rude.’

If this was an evening event, surely Beatrice should have been able to attend, she's at Goldsmiths in London yeah?

As for the charity and telling the press that the Princes, York Girls and Kate and Pippa were invited is out of order, and I think done out of spite because they didn't turn up.

Last edited:
I

As for the charity and telling the press that the Princes, York Girls and Kate and Pippa were invited is out of order, and I think done out of spite because they didn't turn up.

I am sorry but I think this is a bit over the top to call a charity that is raising money for the Veteran´s Benevolent Fund spiteful.

Is it perhaps possible that Kate recieved her invite with the one William recieved? Therefore when William declined, he declined for her as well?

According to the article in the DM, it stated that both Kate and Pippa's invitations were sent to the business address of Party Pieces. I can imagine that with being a mail order business, a lot of people who wish to contact either Kate or Pippa would send mail to them in care of PP. This is what makes me wonder what the volume of mail Kate does receive at that address and how seriously they take any "fan" mail that should arrive. Perhaps this could explain why/if the girl's invitations got lost in the shuffle?

I am sorry but I think this is a bit over the top to call a charity that is raising money for the Veteran´s Benevolent Fund spiteful.

Well that's your opinion, but I think releasing this information to be published in a national newspaper is out of order. Either if it was the charity that did it, or a single person spoke to the newspaper.
They had Dame Shirley Bassey fly over from Monaco, and they complain that they didn't get the girlfriend of Prince William.

Out of order is very different from spiteful and perhaps complain is a bit strong as well, allegedly they remarked on the bad manners of two certain young ladies, one has a certain celebrity as she is allegedly sleeping with the heir to the heir of the throne and the other is her sister who really has no other claim to fame except just this.

What purpose does it serve to publish in a national publication the names of people that were invited to attend a charity fund raiser and didn't show up? Is the purpose to make the non attendees feel bad? To make them look like dirty rotten non caring individuals? To have them make a statement such as "oh I'm sorry I didn't attend" to bring more attention to this charity? Releasing that information to me was in very bad taste.

After being blasted like that in a national publication by this charity, if it was me, I for sure would never consider supporting it in the future.

Well they're making an issue out of Kate and Pippa's bad manners, who to them are more important than actual Princess'?

I think whoever told this information to the press, it was out of order, and done out of spite because they didn't turn up.

According to the article in the DM, it stated that both Kate and Pippa's invitations were sent to the business address of Party Pieces. I can imagine that with being a mail order business, a lot of people who wish to contact either Kate or Pippa would send mail to them in care of PP. This is what makes me wonder what the volume of mail Kate does receive at that address and how seriously they take any "fan" mail that should arrive. Perhaps this could explain why/if the girl's invitations got lost in the shuffle?

That makes sense except the article goes on to say that there was a follow up phone call and that the sisters were told about the invitations. So then the invitations didn't get lost as PP was contacted verbally as well and still no reply.

It is out of order, that the DM have chosen to focus on Kate and Pippa, rather than two royal princess', who have been in the limelight for not doing enough lately. This would have been a nice oppurtunity to see them. lso the article says, If this was an evening event, surely Beatrice should have been able to attend, she's at Goldsmiths in London yeah?
The artcle goes on and explains that according to BP, where the DoY has his office the invitations seem not to have arrived.

A spokesman for Buckingham Palace says: ‘It’s unfortunate the Princesses appear not to have received the invitation — *especially when they and the whole Royal Family have such a close affection for all military charities, and certainly no offence was intended.’
Given Richard Kay's dislike of the royals except for Diana, he would surely have more of this aspect if he could.

Beatrice is in her final year so probably has quite a bit of work to do and more than most given her known learning difficulty - dyslexia. However if the invitations didn't arrive then she wouldn't need to even attempt to re-arrange her calander and planning schedule as she didn't know she was invited.

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense except the article goes on to say that there was a follow up phone call and that the sisters were told about the invitations. So then the invitations didn't get lost as PP was contacted verbally as well and still no reply.

My thought on that particular statement was that when they phoned Party Pieces, the employee that answered the phone gave a standard answer of "the mail has been passed on to the sisters". Its not as if one of the Middletons themselves were identified as answering the phone. I imagine that if I sent Kate a Yule fruitcake via Party Pieces and then called to see if she received it, I'd get the same answer.

Well said, Osipi! Sounds about right to me. (Forget about the Yule cake.. ack)! :)

Saying you are going to tell someone something and actually doing it are two different things. How many of us, have been told to tell someone something (like so and so called and told you blank) and we have never told that person because we know that it doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever know the truth.

What I do know is if this is true (any of it really) no one looks good. Not Kate and/or the Yorks if they did get an invitation and didn't respond nor the charity for speaking about it. I know that I would personally put the charity on the list of do not donate --- its a lack of discretion on their part. If necessary there are other organizations available to assist the vets.

What again is disturbing are the DM comments. People are not reading the article, making assumptions about Kate and the York girls. Really the Daily Mail is just horrible sometimes IMO. Totally off topic but now people are questioning on whether or not the Rooneys (Wayne and Coleen) are entitled to take ANOTHER vacation.

Last edited:
I remember some time ago, there was a DM article that was pretty scathing about Kate. It said she had a reputation of being invited to charities to work for them or to attend their functions, but she never replied. Someone was actually quoted as saying so.

So, perhaps there may be some truth to the story? :ermm:

I have not heard of that Sonjapearl but really with the Daily Mail I take things with a grain of salt.

Here is the question...I get invites to certain events (alumni and charity events), I have never attended any of these and yet I still get them. Should I decline them?

I wonder how many invitations Kate receives...to think nothing of the William/Harry/Beatrice/Eugenie. They must get tons that they never see or heard of. I would expect some PA goes thru them and decides which ones to bring to their attention.

If they received the invitations are were specifically asked for an RSVP, it's rude not to respond. OTOH, "there's many a slip 'tween the cup and the lip." They might have responded by phone and the message not been passed on, or Kate and Pippa might not have received the invitations in time to respond in time. Who knows????

What I do know is if this is true (any of it really) no one looks good. Not Kate and/or the Yorks if they did get an invitation and didn't respond nor the charity for speaking about it. I know that I would personally put the charity on the list of do not donate --- its a lack of discretion on their part. If necessary there are other organizations available to assist the vets.

My first question was - what is this "Fashion for the Brave?" This is what my searching gleaned - It hopes to raise money for charities such as Help for Heroes. The 'charity's' first event was the 10/26 dinner, auction and fashion show which the Princesses and the Middleton sisters failed to RSVP regrets. It has 2 employees. It's literature promises that the auction, fashion show and dinner "[w]ill provide millions of pounds worth of media exposure, giving increased brand value to the sponsors, supporters,..."(emphasis added.)
In looking at the pictures of the 'celebrities' who did attend, it didn't look to me like it was quite the A list event the promotional material promised. Having a Princess or Kate show up would certainly have increased the media exposure the event was seeking.
I personally do not feel obligated to respond to unsolicited requests that I attend fund raising auctions from people I have never met who do not even know me well enough to send my invitation to my home address - no matter how 'formal' the actual invitation has been made to appear. My local department store can send me a 'formal' invitation to an auction and fashion show, but that does not make it a 'formal' occasion requiring my RSVP regrets. Perhaps in Britain it is different and one is expected to respond to opportunists such as this 'charity,' but I cannot believe that it is good manners for the auction, etc. organizers to publicly criticize invitees who chose to not RSVP regrets.

I think this charity thought it was going to have high profile members of the royal family there, or people connected to the royal family (Kate and Pippa) and is resentful that none of them showed up, so it spilled the story to the press.

I assume that Party Pieces and Buckingham Palace didn't forward the invitation, which is why none of the girls showed up. Although in defense of the Duke of York's office, it seems no one there said that Beatrice and Eugenie had received this invitation...just that they were at university. As for Party Pieces, they shouldn't say the invitation had been passed on unless it really was. If it was passed on, and the girls didn't reply, then I would have to agree that they were being somewhat rude.

I find it amazing that the Daily Mail can make a whole story out of this, though. It seems like nothing which could possibly make the royals look bad falls through the cracks.

Really I think you are presuming too much.
Anyway the charity got some publicity and so did Kate Middleton. but hers was quite negative. The Prince was polite enough to send a refusal, or his office was, obviously Party Pieces needs to brush up on manners. If we can believe any part of this story then we have to believe that Party Pieces confirmed they had passed on the invitation.
BTW I really can´t see any connexion between a Department Store sending out invitations and a Benevolent Fund. I am surprised at the Princesses not answering but then they are still supposed to be learning to be royal princesses.

The article does say that BP, who handle the Princesses invitations, didn't receive the invitations so if the invitations weren't received you can hardly blame people for not replying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that makes two young ladies with a good excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom