The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

Osipi, I think you're right when you say that they just want (as much as possible) to live an ordinary life, away from the press for as long as they can. I suspect that William, because of the way the press hounded his Mother and her tragic death will always carry scars in regards to the press.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
Osipi, I think you're right when you say that they just want (as much as possible) to live an ordinary life, away from the press for as long as they can. I suspect that William, because of the way the press hounded his Mother and her tragic death will always carry scars in regards to the press.

However in the process he is allowing the press and the public continually disparage and attack his girlfriend - which is the point of the article - that he is allowing his girlfriend to be put down and that in the process of allowing that people are loosing respect for him.

His avoidance of the media is one thing but at some time he will have to learn to get the balance right which at the moment he most certainly hasn't on this issue and the longer it goes the worse it will get.

At the moment the royal family, except for Charles, is virtually invisible - and this leave room for the press to attack and the public to be swayed by the press - just as they were to make his mother into a saint and to attack the Queen in the week after Diana's death. He needs to learn to use the media and not simply to avoid it at all times.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If William was running for public office in the US, what the press says and thinks about the two of them would matter. You WANT public opinion and you strive to get it.

Not so with royalty

The entire BRF know that what the press thinks and what they want the public to think is a flash in the pan.
HM and her entourage and family all retire to Scotland for their own vacation during this time too. She can wash dishes and Phil can bbq and burn deer steaks to his hearts content and the the leftovers stored in tupperware for breakfast or the corgis. The fact that HM is at Holyrood and the DoE was at the airport to greet the Pope was groundbreaking.

Bertie... what kind of statement are you looking for from either of them? Which of any one we could dream up would actually do any good?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm sure that's a big part of what he carries with him also bit I think too perhaps the biggest gift he carries is being "touchable". Not feely, huggy, snuggle touchable but to be empathic. That's why right now SAR is so important to him.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Bertie... what kind of statement are you looking for from either of them? Which of any one we could dream up would actually do any good?
Just an odd thought that makes my mind go bump in the night.

Have we ever seen an actual quote anywhere from Kate about Wills?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Have we ever seen an actual quote anywhere from Kate about Wills?
You mean about their relationship?

The press have reported a few quotes from William when he's told people to "Wait and see" about when he was marrying Kate etc. Don't know about Kate, but I've never expected to see a real quote from either of them, it's their relationship and they should keep it to themselves.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You mean about their relationship?

The press have reported a few quotes from William when he's told people to "Wait and see" about when he was marrying Kate etc. Don't know about Kate, but I've never expected to see a real quote from either of them, it's their relationship and they should keep it to themselves.
And there is Bart Simpson in fuzzy foot slippers and his Kate in sweats and a cami.. "Will you still call me daylight katy in years to come?"

shhhh don't tell :)

Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
If William was running for public office in the US, what the press says and thinks about the two of them would matter. You WANT public opinion and you strive to get it.
Not so with royalty
That's the whole problem with royalty. Whether they like it or not they do need public opinion. And in this day and age, they need to understand the power of the press and how to use it to their advantage. Iluvbertie is correct when she says that the press sways the opinions of the public.

Unfortunately, Kate has been put in the position or has put herself in the position of being labeled lazy, waity Katie. If she does eventually become a royal, she may have trouble getting rid of the "lazy" opinion that many people have of her.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The public can be easily swayed. Look at the change in people's attitudes toward Prince Harry and Camilla, and Kate's not done anything in the leagues of what they've done. She hasn't had an affair with a married man while married herself, she hasn't worn Nazi emblems. There have been no stories about pot-smoking parties. If she becomes Princess William of Wales, all she has to do is work in public and look respectable and the jibes will be forgotten.

Quote:
If she does eventually become a royal, she may have trouble getting rid of the "lazy" opinion that many people have of her.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Majesty

I think you need to read a bit more carefully. I don't think that there has been any real change in the general attitude of people to Camilla at all. There is a very strong anti-Camilla body who post regularly on the DM that she isn't fit to be Charles' Queen and that Charles isn't fit to be King either because he married her.

There is more tolerance of her but not love for her. People know that she won't be Queen Consort for very long and nor is she the mother of the future King but Kate would probably be Queen Consort for 30+ years and the mother of the future monarchs and thus people will need to love her. I don't see them doing that - particularly as I am increasingly seeing a reduction in the respect for William.

Harry was always going to be excused on the grounds of age but if he does something like that again he won't be.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

The sense I've been getting by watching message boards and various media items over the last few years is that people are becoming more accepting of Camilla. They're not saying that they love her, but more people are saying that there are things that they admire about her and that she's "good for Charles." I find that Daily Mail commentators tend to be very, very negative about people in the public eye in general and particularly about members of the RF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think you need to read a bit more carefully. I don't think that there has been any real change in the general attitude of people to Camilla at all.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Courtier

Julia Roberts is sitting pretty ¿ on a £32million make-up deal | Mail Online

Harry single again?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
It says half way down the page

Quote:
Prince Harry could be on thin ice with Chelsy Davy.
The 26-year-old Prince attended a party for his friend Harry Becher’s breast cancer charity Too Many Women on Friday night.
‘He and his friend Tom Inskip left at about 5am with a couple of girls,’ says my night owl.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Courtier

Prince William Pilot Grad - Kate Middleton Wedding Details - National Ledger

More of the same...
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do wonder what's going on with Harry & Chelsy. They're so quiet and private it's hard to know .....
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Worse, in a taped conversation in 2005 she accused Prince Charles of bowing to public pressure to marry Diana, whom he used as a “convenient womb” to produce an heir. When asked if William was thinking of marrying Kate, she replied: “I do hope not.” Adds a senior royal source: “Just as PMK used to criticise Diana for being an unsavvy, unintelligent girl with no experience of life, she thinks Kate is missing the mantle of majesty too and really isn’t up to the mark. “She thinks it’s ridiculous that aged 28 Kate has never knuckled down to a proper job as her own children (Freddie and Gabriella Windsor) have done, or even aligned herself to a charity or cause as the two princes have.”
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: Royal critics turn on Kate Middleton

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't think that there has been any real change in the general attitude of people to Camilla at all.
I think we will have to disagree here. It is possible that you are not able to judge this change in mood as you are not based in the UK. You very rarely see any negative comments about Camilla in the mainstream British press.

Quote:
There is a very strong anti-Camilla body who post regularly on the DM that she isn't fit to be Charles' Queen and that Charles isn't fit to be King either because he married her.

You are right, there is a small and vocal body of pro-Diana people who regularly post on TRF, other similar forums and places like the DM. Most of them have a very negative view on Charles, Camilla and most of the BRF. It almost seems that for them the War of the Wales' has still not ended, and they feel they need to carry on the battle for St Diana.

However, it can fairly be said that these people are not representative of British society at large. Most British people are supportive of a visibly happier Prince Charles, and as I said, you very rarely see any adverse comments about the DoC in the mainstream press.

Quote:
.....but Kate would probably be Queen Consort for 30+ years and the mother of the future monarchs and thus people will need to love her. I don't see them doing that - particularly as I am increasingly seeing a reduction in the respect for William.

Any basis for your commentary?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Courtier

Kate's wedding dress??? Caroline Charles talking about Kate...

London Fashion Week - Video Interview With Caroline Charles - Sky Showbiz
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think we will have to disagree here. It is possible that you are not able to judge this change in mood as you are not based in the UK. You very rarely see any negative comments about Camilla in the mainstream British press.
Just because they don't say anything bad about her anymore, does not mean the attitude towards her has not changed. IMO people just don't want to say things like they used to about Camilla because she is now Charles' wife.

Quote:
However, it can fairly be said that these people are not representative of British society at large. Most British people are supportive of a visibly happier Prince Charles, and as I said, you very rarely see any adverse comments about the DoC in the mainstream press.
British society can't post articles in the mainstream press stating if they hate Camilla or not can they?
People aren't bothered about the monarchy anymore, that's why you hear no comments unless you talk about the money they cost us and how it can be spent on other things.

Quote:
Any basis for your commentary?
It's quite obvious that people, the majority of which after Charles has passed will care very little about there monarchy and what they do.
People are bored with Kate and William, they IMO do nothing for the royal family and will unlikely do anything when they are married or when William becomes King.
And because William and Kate have been shown to be doing very little on a week to week basis, people don't have much respect for them, not in times like these.

I completely agree with what Bertie says about William loosing the respect of his country, and how the attitude towards Camilla hasn't really changed. The country has other things to worry about, they accept Camilla because she isn't going anywhere soon and they are bored of William.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, paparazzi, prince harry, prince william, tabloid press