The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Screening the comments would make sense if the goal were to present a representative range of opinions, but the Mail does it, IMO, to support the main goal of tabloid journalism: to present a sensationalized version of a story, rather than a balanced one, to help drive up sales. That's one of many reasons that I commented in one of the William/Kate threads that I wouldn't consider a negative view of the couple in a tabloid as representing public opinion.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Nobility

Especially when it's the same few people repeatedly signing up and posting under different screen names. Not many people pay attention to the comings and goings of the Prince and his girlfriend. It's pretty obvious to me that it's the same handful of people who post at the hater forums who are fueling this stuff.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Commoner

Those comments are only in the online edition and only those specially interested in royalty will enter those pages. So I don't think the average person would know about this hate campaign at all. When you read through a paper you take a look at most of the pages, but when you read the online edition you don't. I have f.inst never even seen the sports pages of Daily Mail. So I don't see that Kate; William or anybody who cares about them would be too bothered about these comments or posts.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The Mail doesn't print all the comments it receives. I know that some of our members have sent comments to the Mail disagreeing about negative articles about Camilla, and those comments tend not to see the light of day. The paper can make it look as though the article has widespread public support by being selective about the comments that get into print.
None of the pro Camilla or pro Catherine comments that I know were sent have ever got into their comments section. Not even the letters I have sent complaining of their obvious bias! Then again, they don't bother to reply to letters pointing out errors regarding other people/matters. The only correspondence they occasionally reply to, are letters from solicitors, (and they tend to say 'see you in court')!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Commoner

I have tried to comment a few times lately, and not one of my comments has been printed But that won't stop me, I'll tell them what I think.
On Friday they had a pic of Kate where you could see her underwear. I wrote an angry comment, like alot of others I'm sure. And very soon the picture was gone. It was probably CH or BP or their own bosses, but we can hope we have a little influence too
Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

That's very interesting, atina and Skydragon. I occasionally pick up the weekly edition of a British paper, but not that often. They're hard to find in my (literal) neck-of-the-woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atina View Post
I have tried to comment a few times lately, and not one of my comments has been printed But that won't stop me, I'll tell them what I think.
On Friday they had a pic of Kate where you could see her underwear. I wrote an angry comment, like alot of others I'm sure. And very soon the picture was gone. It was probably CH or BP or their own bosses, but we can hope we have a little influence too
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Aristocracy

The really nasty stories all seem to come from the Daily Mail that has already been caught stealing verbatim quotes from TRF and sell them as "Royal insider" information and whose Royal "correnspondents" Richard Kay and Katie Nicholls not only contradict each other but hardly ever get it right also What they can't make up with credible information, they try to cover with screaming, eye-catching headlines. I think the DM just found their "niche" when it comes to royal gossip. There are those who feed the "official gossip" of which there is not too much and which can only be aquired through true sources - the DM clearly lacks - and then there is the DM which caters to those that always have to add another layer of conspiracies and negative snide remarks.
Currently the article has about 52 comments of which an estimated 40 are negative. 40 negative voices not even all from the UK - that's really something to worry about if you want to represent a people of 60 million especially since neither William nor Kate have even started their full time "job" as Royal representatives yet.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I've found the Daily Mail incredibly negative for awhile now. Even if it came in a weekly edition on this side of The Pond, I wouldn't buy it. We get a weekly edition of the Daily Express and the Daily Telegraph. I prefer the Telegraph if I can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
The really nasty stories all seem to come from the Daily Mail
Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Its interesting how very quickly the press especially in Britain made comparisons between Kate and Diana and Chelsy and Fergie. Kate (like Diana) is seen as the smart, elegant and sensible girlfriend and most likely candidate to fit in with the Windsor family. Whereas Chelsy (and Fergie) is described as the wild, party-loving, some would say silly and laking in fashion sense option. At the moment the press do seem to favour Kate and Chelsy does not like this Fergie comparsion. However if you look at the facts it is Chelsy who is most likely a lot smarter than Kate and Chelsy's parents are far wealthier than the Middleton's. Maybe the press should reconsider when comparing Chelsy to Fergie as she probably isnt the giddy air-head they try to make her appear to be.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Aristocracy

I read stories like that with amusement not at the royals but at the inventiveness of the person who wrote it- as in, how they sometimes seem to clearly be biased and how they seem to think people believe them. Then again, people actually buy the papers and must read them or they wouldn't be printed.

You can't believe anything really unless its a really reputable news source and even then take it with a grain of salt. Look at the scandal with the NY Times not too long ago- a reporter was faking his stories and no one bothered to check his sources were real.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Courtier

I thought the photos where most degreating. It looked like they had a long lense right up her dress through the crack in the door of the car. That is the difference between the (pap) just doing thier job and being intruisive. Do they really need pics of Miss Middleton's crouch. Please !!! The press always talks about she should get used to this!!! when she is in public with PW and if she marries him it will be all the time.... Well I ask you this!!! If she does marry William do you think they will finally show her respect enough not to take a pic of the future Princess of Wales, let alone the future Queen's underwear .... I mean really! How Much is one person to take???
Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I thought the photos where most degreating. It looked like they had a long lense right up her dress through the crack in the door of the car. That is the difference between the (pap) just doing thier job and being intruisive. Do they really need pics of Miss Middleton's crouch. Please !!! The press always talks about she should get used to this!!! when she is in public with PW and if she marries him it will be all the time.... Well I ask you this!!! If she does marry William do you think they will finally show her respect enough not to take a pic of the future Princess of Wales, let alone the future Queen's underwear .... I mean really! How Much is one person to take???
To play the devil's advocate, one could argue that Kate must be very mindful that the paps are always there and more than ready to take the unflattering photo and that she should be so very, very careful in her deportment NOT to give them the opportunity to do so.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda View Post
To play the devil's advocate, one could argue that Kate must be very mindful that the paps are always there and more than ready to take the unflattering photo and that she should be so very, very careful in her deportment NOT to give them the opportunity to do so.
I think the same could be said of many who are already members of the royal family, though. And we did get that mention a few months ago about the princes' press officer advising Kate to smile when she was photographed...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda View Post
I'd like to think so caroline mathilda but that doesn't apply to Kate M. It's always the fault of the bad media and intrusive tabloids who keep harrassing the private-citizen-girlfriend of the future King of England by taking pictures on boozy nights out in short dresses. How dare they! And how outrageous to voice the slightest critizism and suggest Kate could be a bit more low-profile to avoid such occasions ... no, Kate should be left alone no matter how she presents herself in well-known paparazzi environments as if she was a no-name girlfriend.

The truth is: Kate knows excactly what to expect from the media when she decides to go out and for me the the only conclusion is: She likes what she sees in the papers the next morning.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I fully agree with Duke of Marmalade. Given the social status of her boyfriend, I think that Miss Middleton is fully aware of her actions and their consequences. It would be deemed prudent for her to lead a low-profile life. However, her recent actions may indicate that she is comfortable with getting negative press.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Aristocracy

Right, I'm sure she loves it when pics of her underwear appear in papers. In those 12 seconds she took to get from the club into the car her only thought was - hopefully some of those paps manage to get a pic under my skirt.
I don't see why anyone should be "allowed" to take such pictures of anyone not just Kate. If she was a random person in the street, the guy would have been convicted for sexual harrassment when taking a pic underneath her skirt but because she's dating the future King she's fair game? She didn't "invite" such pics at all. She just got into a car as fast as she could as the video clearly shows and the photographers took advantage of the situation.
But I forgot, she's supposed to stay at home 24/7 and never leave or dare go out so that noone can take a pic of her at all. Because girlfriends of future Kings are supposed to live a recluse life ...
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Serene Highness

There is an enormous difference between Kate's acceptance of the inevitable paparazzi intrusion into her life and the indignation of posters who feel that the paps treat her with complete disrespect and personal disregard. She is nothing more than a piece of meat to them to be exploited in the most intrusive way while they reap the rewards. Yes, she is dating a very high profile man, so of course she expects the media circus that surrounds her and IMO she deals with it as gracefully as she can. Considering how many photos are snapped in the few seconds it takes for her to get into a waiting vehicle, I think it is rather telling that she rarely has a bad photo taken of her. However, this is a far cry from stating unequivocally that she enjoys her press. She can't afford to look annoyed or pouty at the intrusion. Think of those photos and the resulting stories that would be plastered all over.

I don't begrudge the paps making a living, but when they sell a photo of their subject that was taken in an instant of blinking at the multitude of flashbulbs and market it as "bleary eyed after a night out" or "looking visibly distressed" it is just sensationalism and a real insult to the public's intelligence. I must have missed the "panty photo", but I'm not suprised as it would not be the first time for such a claim. Usually what the paps try to flog as a normally discreet woman's panties in a photo turns out to be nothing more than a part of her dress or, in Sarah Ferguson's case a few months ago, part of a coat that she was wearing.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

It does not matter how you put it, many people will not feel sorry for any celebrity or private person just because they are hunted by paparazzis.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

If I remember rightly Kate Middleton modeled underwear at University when she was there, there were photos of Prince William being in the audience supporting her.
The Papparazzi are part and parcel of hanging out with royalty and so she should be a bit more careful, she must know they are dying to get an indiscreet photo, they can get more money for one like that for sure. They are professionals making a living, perhaps in a way lots of people wouldn´t like to, but they exist and Kate will just have to learn to deal with them.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
If I remember rightly Kate Middleton modeled underwear at University when she was there, there were photos of Prince William being in the audience supporting her.
The Papparazzi are part and parcel of hanging out with royalty and so she should be a bit more careful, she must know they are dying to get an indiscreet photo, they can get more money for one like that for sure. They are professionals making a living, perhaps in a way lots of people wouldn´t like to, but they exist and Kate will just have to learn to deal with them.
Oh NO there is a diffrence between modeling in a fashion show for charity and having some scum bag stick a lense up your dress when you are not looking, be it from two miles away...right or wrong. Yes it is there job and yes they all need to make a buck but come on. To defend my last post not to be someone who does not think she should not have her picture taken. because i like to read the papaer and loving to read about the life of royals and thier partners may it be spouse or dating. There is a line to be drawn. I think she deals with them day out & in very well .... any thing I write here is (IMO) only and I don't mean to offend any one...

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, paparazzi, prince harry, prince william, tabloid press