The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how much time William has spent learning about the Church of England, seriously? Has he had discussions with church leaders or his grandmother about what his role is?

Somehow I have the feeling that the more devoted among his age-group--regardless of what church affiliation they are--aren't impressed by the number of times he has emerged from clubs bleary-eyed. When I was his age, I would have been quite disaffected by his image. I would have expected more dignified behaviour.
Believe it or not, I've mellowed with age.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the video clip! The valid points were made by representatives of mass media and paparazzi. However, Mr. Whitaker was overly harsh, when commenting on some members of the British Royal family.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that Mr. Whitaker is thought to be quite pompous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Thanks for the video clip! The valid points were made by representatives of mass media and paparazzi. However, Mr. Whitaker was overly harsh in his comments on royals.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post

The excuse that he needs the training because he is one day going to be head of the services, was flattened with this question - He is also expected to be head of the Church of England, so why isn't he spending 5 years studying the priesthood?
That's a question I have been asking for two years now.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
William especially came in for negative comments, the early (unheard of) award of his wings, (normally takes 77 weeks, William 13)!
Is 77 week just the pilots wings or does that officer training as well? What length is RAF officer training? It seems to me it would been better for both William as a trainee pilot and a junior officer to do at least 33 weeks. Espically since he has ended up doing SAR pilot training course.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This may be his next excuse to get out of being a working Prince.

Funnily enough, if Wills had not joined the SAR, I am sure a lot of people and journalists would have been complaining that he did not spend enough time in the armed forces before joining rpyal duties full time! It really seems to be one of those situations where Wills cannot win, either way!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

The last two kings were navy men, as is Prince Charles. I can't imagine a king--or for that matter a male HRH--who didn't have some kind of military experience. Prince Edward at least gave it a shot before deciding that it wasn't for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Funnily enough, if Wills had not joined the SAR, I am sure a lot of people and journalists would have been complaining that he did not spend enough time in the armed forces before joining rpyal duties full time! It really seems to be one of those situations where Wills cannot win, either way!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

The point is not whether or not William has spent enough time in the forces, but the fact that he was awarded his wings after only 13 weeks of training, as I put it, "not normal practice". It doesn't matter how many times CH or the PR team at the MOD tell us, it was an intensive course, he did not IMO, the spokesperson on the programme and many others in the RAF, (based on chats with bratlings friends) 'earn' his wings.

One of the other points raised about Williams 14 royal engagements last year, (no not that engagement, ), was that 4 were evening events, spending just one hour at 2 events held on the same evening.

Even the Hen Harrier affair was exposed, far from there being no evidence, Natural England & the Crown Prosecution Service had enough evidence but for some reason, it never made it to the courts!

They also raised the cost to the taxpayer for William and Harrys charity bike ride, estimated at 40,000GBP just for the protection. To be fair they did not say whether that included the squads entry fee or not. All their PR team would say was that the princes raised 15000GBP each, but as we know, that was the cost to enter.

The programme covered, in part Andrew, and Edward as well.

They were at pains to point out that although the palace proudly state they are going to be clear and transparent with the public, on more occasions than not, requests for further information were met with a firm NO!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, definitely not normal practice, as you put it, Skydragon. I was off-point and forgot that we were chatting about the t.v. program. Oops.

Quote:
The point is not whether or not William has spent enough time in the forces, but the fact that he was awarded his wings after only 13 weeks of training, as I put it, "not normal practice".
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, definitely not normal practice, as you put it, Skydragon. I was off-point and forgot that we were chatting about the t.v. program. Oops.
I wasn't telling you off and I'm sorry if it came across that way! It was a general reply and an answer to James bloomin Whittaker!
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

No worries, SD. No offence taken. Just explaining myself...as I tend to do.

"James Bloomin' Whittaker" pretty much sums him up. Haha.

Quote:
I wasn't telling you off and I'm sorry if it came across that way! It was a general reply and an answer to James bloomin Whittaker!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I believe that Mr. Whitaker is thought to be quite pompous.
Well . . . let's see, ummm, erm, isn't that a bit like saying Princess Marie is "quite" pregnant?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well let's see!

I can:

A. I can join the family firm, live in a goldfish bowl, shake hands with endless people. I can also bow, smile gritting my teeth, cut endless ribbons and have journo's writing screeds about how I've taken the soft option and should have got a real job! Or,

B. Fly helicopters, save people, have a real job, and get to wear really cool sunnies. And as an added bonus, the endless whining of media about my shirking my "Royal Duties" will be drowned out by the sound of my rotors!

You've got to admit, it's a tough choice. I mean he really is on the horns of a dilemma!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

It amuses me when the media 'demand' they should be performing more royal duties... what exactly. There are only so many openings, ribbon cuttings etc and lets be fair, you have to share them out with the senior royals who are probably the ones invited.

I'm sure everyone would be heartily sick of them if they were performing every day of the week, every month of the year!

Great that they are in the military but please, let them earn their places following normal procedures, (not by using obscure sidesteps, as with William) and by doing so earn some respect.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It amuses me when the media 'demand' they should be performing more royal duties... what exactly. There are only so many openings, ribbon cuttings etc and lets be fair, you have to share them out with the senior royals who are probably the ones invited.

I'm sure everyone would be heartily sick of them if they were performing every day of the week, every month of the year!

Great that they are in the military but please, let them earn their places following normal procedures, (not by using obscure sidesteps, as with William) and by doing so earn some respect.
I know you feel strongly about this, but William was never going to have a normal career in the armed forces, just like his father did not. I do think Harry (and Andrew) should play by the rules, because his career should not really be affected by his family backgroud other than in specific circumstances like Afghanistan.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

I do have strong feelings about it. We all knew he would be flitting between services, to 'get a taste', but his recent acceptance on the SARs course would be denied to anyone else who wears spectacles, he got in by using a very obscure rule and the compliance of the MOD. Even if there was some bending going on to accommodate a childhood dream (), he had no other job to speak of, so why not a 52 week training course for his wings, even that would have been short considering the training others have to go through. It does lead to resentment by other members of the services and it might be these men they have to rely on at some point.

The rules concerning these 2 men, haven't just been bent, they now resemble a corkscrew.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I do have strong feelings about it. We all knew he would be flitting between services, to 'get a taste', but his recent acceptance on the SARs course would be denied to anyone else who wears spectacles, he got in by using a very obscure rule and the compliance of the MOD. Even if there was some bending going on to accommodate a childhood dream (), he had no other job to speak of, so why not a 52 week training course for his wings, even that would have been short considering the training others have to go through. It does lead to resentment by other members of the services and it might be these men they have to rely on at some point.

The rules concerning these 2 men, haven't just been bent, they now resemble a corkscrew.
I really can't comment on the length of training required (12 /52 /77 wks) to get one s wings etc, but it is really for the MoD and the RAF to have an agreed position on this. But I can see your point about there potentially being some resentment amongst other serving officers.

Do you think the rules are being substantially bent for Harry as well?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe the obscure rule that allowed this needs to be changed. You can't really blame William for taking advantage of something that exists.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is probably an obscure rule that won´t need to be bent until the next generation of royals wanting to get their wings....
It would be like buying a snow plough for a place that gets snow about once every thirty years....
Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I really can't comment on the length of training required (12 /52 /77 wks) to get one s wings etc, but it is really for the MoD and the RAF to have an agreed position on this. But I can see your point about there potentially being some resentment amongst other serving officers.

Do you think the rules are being substantially bent for Harry as well?
With regard to the training, it would be the same as suggesting someone who has had a months tuition should be awarded a masters. You get a variety of officers, some are working officers others political, with an eye on a big pension and a rung further up the ladder. The MOD is of course run by a government minister (hoping for a knighthood). It is such an incredibly obscure rule and one has to wonder if it had been good old Lt Smith, whether the transfer of a spectacle wearing officer to the RAF as a pilot would ever have happened.

I believe that the rules were bent for Harry to get onto his training programme, I don't think anyone would deny that he is not the brightest spark, but he is being given the extra tuition I spoke of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Maybe the obscure rule that allowed this needs to be changed. You can't really blame William for taking advantage of something that exists.
Yes it does need to be changed, as for blaming William, that would be equivalent to suggesting because there was nobody to take payment for the packet of sweets, he was not to blame for slipping them into his pocket without paying. Being a prince should mean you lead by example, taking advantage is not an example I would want any of my children to follow.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, paparazzi, prince harry, prince william, tabloid press