The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
Also Ella, since you don't live in the UK you might not know the recent turmoils that have happened within the Telegraph newspaper (wait a bit, Moderators, this isn't completely OT as you will see).
The majority of the veteran journalists who once made that newspaper reputation have been made redundant to save on funds and replaced by young, cheaper hacks (the author of the article you linked admits to be in her twenties, it's telling) who are rewarded according to how much hits their articles get.
Translation: The Telegraph is now a glorified tabloid. I think you should know that because since this paper was once prestigious, people might give more credibility to its articles than it deserves.
That is indeed interesting, Idriel -- the vagaries of the British press are really fascinating sometimes. Honestly the issues you're talking about seem to be the sad new norm for lots and lots of publications around the globe -- I know papers in America that are having similar problems with staying relevant and financially stable while still retaining integrity and credibility.

As far as the article goes, you're right about a lot of it being rehash of what we already know. I'm just interested that Miguel Head is talking to the paper -- seems when press people from the palace are quoted by name, the piece may have a bit more weight, at least in my mind.

And, hey, regardless of the publications and their respective states at the moment, let's give the writer a bit of slack for being in her twenties -- some of us are and hopefully still have the air of reliability around!

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Translation: The Telegraph is now a glorified tabloid. I think you should know that because since this paper was once prestigious, people might give more credibility to its articles than it deserves.

I expect more filler articles on the Royals as the recession is expected by expert to hit the UK worst than other European countries. I suppose their will be need to entertain the gloomy masses.
The Independent and now The Telegraph have both been slammed on here...is there any legit new source you guys will believe in England? Or have they all gone tabloid... Tell me there has to be one good one!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Courtier

I don't know much about the Independent, but I do know that Charlotte Casiraghi interned for them. She even wrote an article. Just an interesting fact
Old 01-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Telegraph is one of the largest selling "broadsheet" mainstream newspapers in the UK, and IMO, is no more of a tabloid than either the Independent or The Times. The unfortunate truth is that this is a sign of the times, as the media gets increasingly "dumbed down" and readers like more celebrity gossip along with their daily dose of the news. That said, "The Telegraph is now a glorified tabloid" is probably not a statement that I believe has much credibility.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
. . . . . The unfortunate truth is that this is a sign of the times, as the media gets increasingly "dumbed down" and readers like more celebrity gossip along with their daily dose of the news . . . . .
What an inditement for the owners of those once illustrious rags. . . . dumbed down!

OK, what does that leave us with? Satellite news fed to us in sound bites?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
What an inditement for the owners of those once illustrious rags. . . . dumbed down!

OK, what does that leave us with? Satellite news fed to us in sound bites?
There has also been changes in the ownership of the media over the last 20 years, and no doubt, with a change of ownership comes a change in editorial standards.

For example, the Telegraph is now owned by the Barclay brothers (who also own the Scotsman, the Ritz and Littlewoods), and as I am sure a lot of you know, Rupert Murdoch /News International have owned the Times for a while. Even our local London Evening Standard has recently been acquired by a Russian billionaire
Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Telegraph is one of the largest selling "broadsheet" mainstream newspapers in the UK, and IMO, is no more of a tabloid than either the Independent or The Times.
The Telegraph is not on the same footing as the Times, and hasn't been for some time. Its methods and the quality of its journalist are now tabloidy, imo. Not just my opinion actually but that of many prestigious journalists and editors who have been fired or who have resigned in disgust and many readres who have noted the free fall in standards. For further details and reference, I would refer you to the Private Eye coverage.
Imo, it isn't as serious a source it once was.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
The Independent and now The Telegraph have both been slammed on here...is there any legit new source you guys will believe in England? Or have they all gone tabloid... Tell me there has to be one good one!
The British on here can only give their opinions on the UK papers, it is up to the individual to decide which stories have some validity, IMO. I dislike the Independent for the reasons I have given ie. that they are anti monarchy and over dramatise many of their environmental stories, according to some of the articles I have read today, it is mainly read by Labour voters, whilst still attracting the Liberals.

The Mail, does have some good writers but IMO, Kay and Nicholl are not among them. Amanda Platell comes across as a republican but seems to have a blockage when it is anything to do with Charles and Camilla. Many of the Telegraph writers are monarchists through and through and, to me, on the whole they do mostly give a balanced view. The Times & Telegraph are still pretty good, with the Observer/Guardian a little behind.

As I said, it is up to the individual, I post any article that comes up, good, bad, indifferent be it from The Independent, The Mail or even The Sun.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How does any of this make it a rag? Do you think the Guardian is a rag too?
Every individual determines for themselves the 'sort' of paper they feel offers the best view. I call it a rag because to me, that is what it is. The Guardian/Observer used to be fairly balanced but that has disappeared over the years IMO, they do however put a little more effort into checking the facts. As with any paper, it depends on the journalist writing the article, some we like, some we don't.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Telegraph is not on the same footing as the Times, and hasn't been for some time. Its methods and the quality of its journalist are now tabloidy, imo. Not just my opinion actually but that of many prestigious journalists and editors who have been fired or who have resigned in disgust and many readres who have noted the free fall in standards. For further details and reference, I would refer you to the Private Eye coverage.
Imo, it isn't as serious a source it once was.
This is one of personal choice. We have had a copy each of the The Times, The Telegraph and the Financial Times delivered to us everyday for over 15 years. Over this time, the newspapers have evolved quite considerably, and I find that increasingly, the quality of the journalism, and the focus (earlier comments on "dumbing down") have both headed south. I personally think the Times is a lot more trashy, but thats my view.

If you read them both regularly, then I am sure you are entitled to your own view on this.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally I find The Telegraph incredibly poor these days and on a par with papers like the Mail and the Express. I'll stick to The Times, Independent and International Herald Tribune.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry and Chelsy are on the cover of Point de Vue this week.
Cover of Point de Vue
(week from 4 to 11 January 2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Sure to be nothing we haven't seen or read before.
However, Carla's on the cover too. That's news!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Sure to be nothing we haven't seen or read before.
However, Carla's on the cover too. That's news!
Point de Vue is nothing like it used to be but with Carla on the the cover my husband will be happy. I must say that lately the best part of it is the crossword.....
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Commoner

At least Lord Black of Crossharbour (or Tubby, as he is known in Canada) is gone. Now if only Rupert Murdoch would sell up and leave....
Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Actually, the National Post is my favourite newspaper; but for some reason we can't get it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berengina View Post
At least Lord Black of Crossharbour (or Tubby, as he is known in Canada) is gone. Now if only Rupert Murdoch would sell up and leave....
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Royal Highness

PRINCE HARRY AND HIS POP PRINCESS
Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Prince Harry and his pop princess
Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Commoner

Video: What the Royal Watchers Really Think » British Royal Wedding
Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

William and Harry were heavily criticised in the channel 4 programme, not only for their laziness but the whole motorcycle & flying debacles.

William especially came in for negative comments, the early (unheard of) award of his wings, (normally takes 77 weeks, William 13)!

The excuse that he needs the training because he is one day going to be head of the services, was flattened with this question - He is also expected to be head of the Church of England, so why isn't he spending 5 years studying the priesthood?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Majesty

This may be his next excuse to get out of being a working Prince.

Tags
chelsy davy, kate middleton, paparazzi, prince harry, prince william, tabloid press