William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are 100% correct. Bravo!!!!

No one from here in the USA will interveiw them for this.... I think TRH William and Harry had done an intervew with Matt Lauer (An American Journalist) right before the concert for Diana. But diffentally agree that it will and should be an UK journalsit for something like this... ;) but I am not sure who is the most = to Barbra Walters in UK sorry, maybe someone could give us an answer?

William and Harry were interviewed by Fearne Cotton to for BBC just before the Concert for Diana. Harry also did an interview with Matt Lauer when he was in New York last year.

I think the idea with the engagement interview can be quite good for the people to get to know the (in this case) wife of their future king. I wonder if William and Kate could get away with just a photo call in the garden considering the media interest they've had for so many years now...

Oh and btw, a British version of the "Barbara Walters type" I guess could be Michael Parkinson, David Frost or maybe even Piers Morgan

We are talking about the Queen here not just a future in-law.

Yes but she is Williams grandmother first and foremost. Which comes before anything.
She will of wanted and probably met Kate a few times.

I think the idea with the engagement interview can be quite good for the people to get to know the (in this case) wife of their future king. I wonder if William and Kate could get away with just a photo call in the garden considering the media interest they've had for so many years now...

I know that a joint interview of Charles and Diana, done by two BBC broadcasters, was aired as a part of their wedding coverage. It looked like it was done a few months after the engagement interview, right before the actual wedding. The footage used to be on YouTube with the rest of their wedding, but I think it's been taken down.

William and Harry were interviewed by Fearne Cotton to for BBC just before the Concert for Diana. Harry also did an interview with Matt Lauer when he was in New York last year.

Oh and btw, a British version of the "Barbara Walters type" I guess could be Michael Parkinson, David Frost or maybe even Piers Morgan

Yes, I knew about the Fearne Cotton interview but, I thought they had done something with Matt Lauer as well. In fact, I am almost positive not that it matters much,:flowers: whom ever gets the announcement interview will be lucky thanks for the info on the Barbara Walters type lol I honestly had no clue ...:eek: Sorry I don't think they could get away with a photo opp. Not at this point in the game anyway! Although, they might try :ermm:

:previous:
Thanks, still holding out for the interview but I would be happy with some live feed of a walk across the lawn and some stills...and a nice shot of the ring ...Although, I would love to hear her speak for the love of God and NOT for 20 seconds. lol:flowers:

Don't count Barbara Walters out of the (non-existent) running just yet! Every year on her morning TV show, The View, she shows her Christmas card from Charles and Camilla -- always with a personal note and signed by both, of course. ;)

When and if the time comes, I could see it being handled like the Diana concert interviews -- one with a UK presenter and another with a US presenter, perhaps during the wedding run-up, not immediately after the engagement.

Like another poster, I'd be happy with just an announcement and photo! :whistling:

Barbara Walters interviewed Sarah The Duchess of York a few months after the wedding. At Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
Prince William awarded his wings as Kate Middleton looks on

Prince William has been awarded his wings as a fully-fledged helicopter pilot with his girlfriend Kate Middleton by his side.

Prince William awarded his wings as Kate Middleton looks on - Telegraph

Why Kate Middleton's lawyers are pursuing paparazzo for harassment

More details have emerged about the legal action launched against a photographer by Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/jan/15/privacy-medialaw

I don't know what I think about the privacy matter. How high are the walls? The parable of the guy who climbs a tree just to get a look at Jesus comes to mind...I mean, if she's willing to date a prince she has to understand some of the territory. Privacy on the royal grounds...sure, give 'em a break. Take back the land, so to speak. However, I don't know. What to think?

What is on my mind today is that I read about her uncle and family for the first time. There is just something seriously wrong with this picture. I am disappointed in W. and I don't know that his own mother would care for K. People have trials in life but K. has only worked for her family and hasn't made her own goals. Before I ever read an article, I felt something wasn't right. She lacks the spirituality and depth as well as the compassionate heart that Di had, to identify with the vulnerable. What K. does is for show, and it seems from reading that her entire family has major ego issues. I think there is a large group supporting her and pressuring this along. I think the family and some others want to get better power and leverage. I admire her greatly for her self control, in general, and keeping her mouth shut, but...I don't think the monarchy will last if she's in there. I don't even get the feeling that she's very intuitive with kids. I feel she is a good administrator and maybe enjoys fine things, but she's a business type. I've only read 3 articles but I'd peg her as an ISFJ. I could be totally wrong, but hearing what her uncle had to say about getting "in" and the family climibing and then the sister's sudden disengagement for her own sake, and the father's little motto "it's my world"...I think these are all ego-driven people who are keeping their mouths shut for one reason, to get ahead, and not because they love William. That's my off the cuff opinion. He should date more and not be afraid of having to settle down. Even date other royals who don't care about position, like someone mentioned the girl from Sweden, or just somebody who loves him for who he is and the family, and has no interest in social climbing or an agenda other than to use their position for the good of the common people. He's going in the right direction in many ways, but not far enough. If he absolutely loves her, okay-- I have a feeling not everyone loves her though, and wants him to keep looking. If he's going after duty, and his job, I would keep looking...I don't think she's a people lover by nature. If she keeps him laughing so hard he's peeing his pants, she's a keeper maybe. Something just doesn't seem right.

I have to admit I agree with some of the things you said, piano, particularly about her family.

It does seem like the Middletons' are looking at William dating their daughter/sister as an opportunity to move up in Britain's class-conscious society. That is the impression I get. But I could be dead wrong though. One thing that sticks out in my mind is James, Kate's younger brother, reportedly boasting around University that his sister was the next Queen of England. If that were true, then the allegations that the Middletons' are exploiting Kate's relationship with William need to be examined.

But then again, from watching that video of Kate at William's RAF ceremony, and her rubbing his back, it shows that the two really are close and care for each other. The allegations that Kate is very manipulative are ridiculous, unless William is a total idiot to allow himself to be taken advantaged of.

As for Kate's behavior with children, that remains to be seen. We have yet to see her interact with other children, so we cannot make any judgements or compare her to Diana.

One thing I have noticed about those who are not Kate fans is that they expect her to be another Diana. There could never be another Diana! She was one in a million in terms of charisma, style and compassion. Let Kate be Kate, and let's see what she has to offer.

Last edited:
Kate isn't Diana. No-one else could be. Diana was Diana, with all her positive qualities and all her faults.

As for comparing the photographers trying to take pictures of Kate's family at Christmas lunch--through the window, no less--and Zaccheus climbing a tree to see Jesus...the mind boggles.:ermm: Making money is why they want pictures of Kate!

She lacks the spirituality and depth as well as the compassionate heart that Di had, to identify with the vulnerable. What K. does is for show, and it seems from reading that her entire family has major ego issues. .

Prince William awarded his wings | Mail Online

- article at the bottom. :)

It is almost surreal that, at the same time, Kate is treated as virtually a member of the Royal Family and is treated like a daughter-in-law by Prince Charles.
She spent the first days of the new decade with William and Charles. The Prince of Wales was alone at Birkhall because Camilla was with her daughter Laura, who had just given birth to twin sons.
So early on New Year's Day, William and Kate flew to Scotland to be with him. They spent five days together, walking, shooting and having meals. Uppermost in William's mind was what a friend describes as his 'horror' at reports that he is being readied to be a 'shadow king', taking over more of the Queen's duties

:previous: Well, nobody ever said Prince Charles isn't humorous... :whistling:

Ok, congratulations to William! :innocent:

:previous: Well, nobody ever said Prince Charles isn't humorous... :whistling:

Ok, congratulations to William! :innocent:

The Quote it
"But today is a day, I think, of great pride for all of the parents, not to mention the girlfriends. We all know how hard our sons have worked in between all the other activities that we don't know about."

I don't think its a joke.
It's a wonderful compliment acknowledging Kate. :flowers:

Maybe there is something on the horizon that we don't know about yet....

Thanks Sonjapearl,

I agree with you that Di is a hard act to follow. I also think though, for the sake of the monarchy even, that people have new standards and that if the next generation cannot meet expectations there may be problems. Maybe not, but I think the best fulfillment of that kind of role is with someone who is able to relate to all kinds of people. On the other hand too, you don't marry someone who is good for the country and the world but whom you don't love.

I haven't seen the video, just read the article about the tennis lawsuit, but there's more to loving someone and being a good companion than scratching someone's back.

Other people have seen warning signs, and I personally feel something isn't right. But it is best for me not to get into it very much. I have a gut instinct.

I have to admit I agree with some of the things you said, piano, particularly about her family.

It does seem like the Middletons' are looking at William dating their daughter/sister as an opportunity to move up in Britain's class-conscious society. That is the impression I get. But I could be dead wrong though. One thing that sticks out in my mind is James, Kate's younger brother, reportedly boasting around University that his sister was the next Queen of England. If that were true, then the allegations that the Middletons' are exploiting Kate's relationship with William need to be examined.

But then again, from watching that video of Kate at William's RAF ceremony, and her rubbing his back, it shows that the two really are close and care for each other. The allegations that Kate is very manipulative are ridiculous, unless William is a total idiot to allow himself to be taken advantaged of.

As for Kate's behavior with children, that remains to be seen. We have yet to see her interact with other children, so we cannot make any judgements or compare her to Diana.

One thing I have noticed about those who are not Kate fans is that they expect her to be another Diana. There could never be another Diana! She was one in a million in terms of charisma, style and compassion. Let Kate be Kate, and let's see what she has to offer.

Sonjapearl,

Sorry! I hadn't finished...I meant to follow by saying I thought your insights were well-thought out and I liked your point about not comparing to Di as well. Good reminder and I hope they're both happy, if they are!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mermaid,

Hahaa...You're right, about Zaccheus, as I didn't explain my train of thought. Yes, they're trying to make money, but that's another point as well. I agree with the royal family setting better boundaries and I think W. wants to extend this to his girlfriend too. However, in public perception, she's not a Princess yet so that warning didn't extend to her and it's sort of a test in how she'll be able to handle the press.

The press has to make money and they have their own kids. If they're taking photos in public I don't think it's as bad as harassing and hounding someone. And then there are others, who are going to be just like Zacceus, and they are going to climb that tree just in the hope they are noticed above the crowd and might touch the hem of the garment to be "healed". I mean, Di was a healer in her own way, in allowing people to access her, touching them and allowing them to touch her, and giving them words of encouragement. In a way, it's asking how accessible she will be to the public. The royal family issued a notice about being photographed at Christmas but I didn't hear about one being issued by the Middletons. Maybe if they had, and asked for privacy and respect, it would be different.

If someone went onto private property and pressed their lens against the glass to take photos of Christmas lunch, that would be one thing, but how were they taking photos of lunch through the windows and this was so bad, if they were always on public property? Maybe they shouldn't have had lunch by the window if it's that easy to photograph, or, if its long lens, which I do think is sort of different...how were they to know they'd be sued over it? In their minds, they were doing their job and got some good photos, and might make money off of them, and then they get hit with an injunction. So the stake-out was a waste of time, which I'm sure doesn't hurt them, but I don't think they had notice beforehand.

I think it will be a fine line, in courting the press and respecting their work, and also keeping healthy boundaries up. I agree that the more that can be done to keep up boundaries or make new ones, is good. If they are reassured by a "coming out" now and then, that should be enough. But I mentioned the tree thing because for some people, it's really that important, that someone they admire so much, is accessible to them and they might even climb a tree to get their attention. Even papparazi. Let's just hope no one gets the idea to climb a tree and enter in through a bedroom window. !

Kate isn't Diana. No-one else could be. Diana was Diana, with all her positive qualities and all her faults.

As for comparing the photographers trying to take pictures of Kate's family at Christmas lunch--through the window, no less--and Zaccheus climbing a tree to see Jesus...the mind boggles.:ermm: Making money is why they want pictures of Kate!

You know I took it as a simple acknowledgement that along with the families the girlfriends also knew what the young men had gone through rather than a specific reference to Kate.

You know Iluvbertie, so did I, and I still do.
If wishful thinking worked I think that Prince William would be married with children by now. LOL.
As to sueing the photographers, sue away, she has every right, but I don´t think it is a very wise move on the Middleton´s part. I like to read the comments underneath these articles and I am inclined to suspect as one of the writers did, that the leaks come from within the Middleton family circle, especially about them having been given the run of the Manor.

Prince of Wales pays tribute to armed forces girlfriends in front of Kate Middleton - Telegraph

This articale says Prince Charles actually says he knows how pround the parents and the "girlfriends" must be... I think that is a big nod to Kate...
I don't think so. I'm sure William wasn't the only one who had a girlfriend out the group of young men. Charles was obviously aware that none of the young men were married yet (I'm sure he found out beforehand), as he didn't mention "wives". Hence, he said "your parents and girlfriends".

Wouldn't we all get a lovely surprise if Kate and William announce their engagement when he gets back from Auz.

I agree, I think a sit down would be a good PR move, that is if she's prepared for it. She could just as easily be a Carolyn Bessette figure and be very uncomfortable speaking.

I can't see them not having a sit-down interview. It's been part of the major British Royal Weddings since at least the 80s. Don't know about Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips.:ermm:

I agree, I think a sit down would be a good PR move, that is if she's prepared for it. She could just as easily be a Carolyn Bessette figure and be very uncomfortable speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom