William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is the Queen was referring to her own private property (Sandringham) when she made the statement to the press previously about respecting their privacy. She was not referring to the Duchy of Cornwall properties and whoever lets (rents) them. This article is trying to link this so called incident with the royals. But if you read it carefully it doesn't really say the royals themselves are taking legal action. It just makes references to royalty.
This is a matter between the Middletons, the law firm they hire and the press. I don't believe the royal family is involved with it.
After reading the article, I think you're right. And the Royals don't need to be linked with the Middleton drama. :rolleyes:

That whole incident makes it clear, in a not-so-veiled way, that she is a soon to be princess.

I'm curious who her first solo interview will be with after their engagement...maybe Barbara Walters?

Certainly not Barbara Walters since she's American, and it would be quite unfair to British journalists.

BTW, I don't see how taking legal actions against a photographer, something she has already done, would be a sign of engagement...

That whole incident makes it clear, in a not-so-veiled way, that she is a soon to be princess.

I'm curious who her first solo interview will be with after their engagement...maybe Barbara Walters?

How does a private citizen taking legal action to protect that privacy indicate that she is soon to be a princess?

She has done this before.

The only common thing with the royal family is that she is using the same lawyers that the Queen and Charles use.

You and I can, if we can afford them, also employ these lawyers to work for us.

And what pray tell, would that get us should we employ these lawyers??

And what pray tell, would that get us should we employ these lawyers??

The legal services of a reputable firm who have a good track record of satisfied customers.

I'm sorry but
1. I didn't think the royal lawyers covered for standing for Kate.
2. Does Kate have some boundary limit around her, saying the press can't come within a certain amount of yards to take pictures?
3. Is there a "yard" limit around this house she was in?

If not then I don't see why the royal lawyers should sue, Kate isn't a princess, she's just a girlfriend. She dating Prince William, as far as the press are concerned she's now public property.

The socalled 'royal lawyers' have other non royal clients. One of these clients happen to be the Middletons.

The European Court of Human Rights have stated that privacy is a basic human right, so Kate has that boundary around her, as do you, and thanks to Caroline of Hannover so do royals. (She was the one who got the court ruling, the UK is a signatory to the Human Rights Act and so is bound by it)

Others in the public eye have taken legal action to stop paparazzi taking photos of them when they are in public. Sienna Miller was fed up with being harrassed by the paparazzi that she went to court and got the paparazzi agency Big Pictures(and their photographers) banned from taking photos of her. Amy Whitehouse has also gone the legal route, she now has a sign outside her house warning paparazzi that they can't be within 100m and Lily Allen also has gone to court. Fabio Capello(the England football manager) sued over photos of himself and wife on holidays last year. More and more people in the public eye in the UK are taking legal action, the royals so far have just gone with making requests. The Middletons however are using legal means as have others, Kate has a right to privacy and not to be stalked by photographers and the law is backing her. Dating Prince William doesn't mean that she has no right to privacy. The interesting thing in this case is that the photos were not printed in a UK paper (they would have been sued) but rather were sold to a German paper, so instead legal action is being taken against the photographer.

Here's a related article about paparazzi in the UK

Paparazzi: A flash in the pan - Times Online

Ok then let us give Kate a helicopter in advance. I do not know why they would sue after Diana is dead.Don't some pics come with the territory? I mean if Kate does not want them she can marry a dentist in the suburbs and not ever be photographed.British royalty whines about all this the most.
Diana would have never been able to take legal action against the paparazzi as she often tipped them off to where she would be, in the last summer of her life she was actively setting up photos. Had she gone to court this would all have come out and been very embarrassing to her, as it was it didn't come out until after her death.
And no 'pics do not come with the territory' and the law on privacy reinforces the right that no-one has the right to take your photo without your permission, regardless of whether you are in the public eye or not.
As far as British royals whining the most, read up a bit more on your royals. The Dutch have a Media Code resticting when photos can be taken, Willem-Alexander and Maxima go to court and have sued numerous times over paparazzi photos and false stories, they are very litigeous and have won every time. But have managed to severely restrict what photos are taken of their family.

Exactly, the press comes with the territory of being the girlfriend of Prince William.
When Kate gets engaged, she comes under the protection of the royal families, deals can be made in her favour
Press comes with the territory of being the girlfriend of Prince William so photos are taken. But when she is not with him, she and her family as their photos were also taken, are private citizens and just like you, as a private citizen she has the right not to be photographed without permission. Otherwise it is known as stalking.

The incident doesn't make it clear veiled or otherwise that she is soon to be a princess, since actors (Sienna Miller) and singers (Amy Whitehouse) Football managers (Fabio Capello) have all sued paparazzi over photos being taken without their permission. Kate and her family have a right to privacy and they're using the law to achieve it, just as other British citizens in the public eye have done.
And the first interview I can pretty much guarantee won't be with Barbara Walters who is a non entity in the UK, and it won't be with Oprah either. Oprah's been turned down by Charles, Camilla and the Danish royals. Who ever does it will be British.

Kate and her family have a right to privacy like so many have said. This action doesn't necessarily point to an impending wedding. It simply means they (and that includes the royals) want their complaints taken seriously. They mean what they say. And when they warned that they were going to take legal action whenever privacy was breached, they did just that. It does NOT matter that it was a harmless tennis match.

And yes, this is officially Kate's individual complaint. Although it would be hard to keep the RF totally out of the picture since they employ the same solicitors. In fact, Gerrard Tyrell, who was quoted by The Telegraph about Kate's case, is by the Queen's request the mastermind of this new press handling technique.

Sure, the Middletons have a right to privacy just like anybody else. The question is, isn't Kate familiar enough with the media/paparazzi etc. yet ?
She'd better get used to it. It's going to get even harder in the future - especially if she finally becomes princess.

:previous:
That's just the point IF she finally becomes a princess. She is not a Royal as of yet and should not have to deal with the media/paparazzi as of yet. she has the same rights at you and I do. When she is out with William 98% of the time she gives a smile and bears it, but other then that she should not have too. IMO:flowers:

The European Court of Human Rights have stated that privacy is a basic human right, so Kate has that boundary around her, as do you, and thanks to Caroline of Hannover so do royals. (She was the one who got the court ruling, the UK is a signatory to the Human Rights Act and so is bound by it)

Press comes with the territory of being the girlfriend of Prince William so photos are taken. But when she is not with him, she and her family as their photos were also taken, are private citizens and just like you, as a private citizen she has the right not to be photographed without permission. Otherwise it is known as stalking.

When Diana was hounded by the press on a daily basis she was protected by that Human Rights Act, which came into force in 1998.
Yes she's a private citizen, but even without William there she is still his girlfriend, she should expect to be followed, and to be photographed. Do you think newspapers and magazines care about stalking, a photograph of Kate Middleton is worth the sacking of a photographer if it comes to that.

So because she is the girlfriend of Prince William she should be stalked and hounded on a daily basis when she is or isn't with William and just politely eat the crap with a Knife and fork?:ermm: But then again she has NO Royal protection unless she is with Willam and no rights to defend herself either? Wow:ohmy::ohmy:

That's just the point IF she finally becomes a princess. She is not a Royal as of yet and should not have to deal with the media/paparazzi as of yet. she has the same rights at you and I do. When she is out with William 98% of the time she gives a smile and bears it, but other then that she should not have too. IMO:flowers:

I couldn't agree more. All I'm saying is Kate seems quite touchy and often shows how annoyed she gets by all this attention. If she finally marries William, they will come after her and this will only be getting worse. ;) IMO she has to get over it and just do her job. If she reacts like this now, what's gonna happen later? Become psychotic? Not a good idea at all. :cool:

Yes

Yes it is... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR = LIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT:flowers:

I couldn't agree more. All I'm saying is Kate seems quite touchy and often shows how annoyed she gets by all this attention. If she finally marries William, they will come after her and this will only be getting worse. ;) IMO she has to get over it and just do her job. If she reacts like this now, what's gonna happen later? Become psychotic? Not a good idea at all. :cool:

Ok so for the sake of friendly banter...IMO she has ever right to be annoyed by the attention. I agree when and if she becomes mairried to William, they will come after her but she will have Royal protection there to help her. I am wondering just what (job) she should just get it over with and do?:ermm: At this point I thought she worked for her parents and was doing her job for them... because as we all know she can not even attend christmas with the royal family let alone be expected to work for them by doing photo shoots of her daily life.;) Like I always say my opinion is mine and may you keep your own. happy posting

Kate is a private citizen and is totally entitled to privacy when on private property, which is where she was.

When, and if, she marries William, she will still be entitled to privacy on private property - just as the Queen has made clear.

When she is on a public engagement then she will be able to be photographed but when doing private things on private property she, and all people, should be able to do so without people taking photos of her.

It is this idea, held by many of the public, that taking photos of public figures when on private property, is all right is what lead to the death of William's mother. He, and the rest of the royal family, are determined to stop this happening again. Whether Kate is 'the one' is immaterial to setting the ground rules clearly before William presents his future wife to us as that.

And yes, this is officially Kate's individual complaint. Although it would be hard to keep the RF totally out of the picture since they employ the same solicitors. In fact, Gerrard Tyrell, who was quoted by The Telegraph about Kate's case, is by the Queen's request the mastermind of this new press handling technique.
It doesn't matter that they are using similar counsel, it is still the Middleton's case and has nothing to do with the Royals.
What annoys me is at the end of the article half the comments that were made were negative criticism toward the Royal Family because the article made so many (unnecessary) references to Royalty they made it sound like the Royals were somehow involved with this, which they aren't. The Monarchy gets enough criticsm they don't need Kate and her family adding to it.

Ok so for the sake of friendly banter...IMO she has ever right to be annoyed by the attention. I agree when and if she becomes mairried to William, they will come after her but she will have Royal protection there to help her. I am wondering just what (job) she should just get it over with and do?:ermm: At this point I thought she worked for her parents and was doing her job for them... because as we all know she can not even attend christmas with the royal family let alone be expected to work for them by doing photo shoots of her daily life.;) Like I always say my opinion is mine and may you keep your own. happy posting

Thank you, Lady Ann!:flowers: I was talking about her "job" as a future princess/queen. Let's hope Kate will finally get used to it.
Needless to say, I'm actually one of those who think it is going to happen. ;) :hiding:

And the first interview I can pretty much guarantee won't be with Barbara Walters who is a non entity in the UK, and it won't be with Oprah either. Oprah's been turned down by Charles, Camilla and the Danish royals. Who ever does it will be British.

Well then who is the big interviewer in the UK?

Thank you, Lady Ann!:flowers: I was talking about her "job" as a future princess/queen. Let's hope Kate will finally get used to it.
Needless to say, I'm actually one of those who think it is going to happen. ;) :hiding:

Getting used to 'it' when on public duties yes but having to put up with it at all times is intolerable and the line needs to be drawn. The royals, the courts and the general public are increasingly defining everyone's right to privacy and that included the right to do things on private property without worrying about the intrusion of photographers determined to take photos for the general public who believe that they have a right to see anything these people in the public eye do, even when in private situations.

I have even seen the term 'public property' used to describe human beings - and on this board I might add. That really disturbs me as property is something you own and no-one owns another person.

I don't see why it would be an american, IF they give an interview it will be with an english journalist or newsreader. :)

If there is to be an engagement I should imagine her very first interview will be with HM the Queen, as so far we have no evidence that the Queen has ever really met her, I mean a nod or a good morning or being in the same room is not exactly meeting her.
Actually I have always heard that British royalty do not give interviews and that it was very shocking to most people when Diana then Charles did. Other minor royalties I am sure do not matter but the precedent has been set I suppose.

If there is to be an engagement I should imagine her very first interview will be with HM the Queen, as so far we have no evidence that the Queen has ever really met her, I mean a nod or a good morning or being in the same room is not exactly meeting her.

Agreed there is no evidence of Kate having met HM, but then again, there is no requirement for every private meeting of HM's to be made public.

Actually I have always heard that British royalty do not give interviews and that it was very shocking to most people when Diana then Charles did. Other minor royalties I am sure do not matter but the precedent has been set I suppose.

I can't remember whether Andrew & Sarah did, but Edward and Sophie certainly spoke to the press after their engagement was announced. Even C&C briefly met with the press the day news of their engagement was made public.

Meaning Kate will have her first interview will be with HM?
I don't think you can call a meeting with your future grandmother-in-law and interview.
I imagine they have met before, we may not have evidence but she has attended enough royal events for her to speak to the Queen.
Modern times, i think they will give an interview, many present CP's have given engagement interviews. :)

Agreed there is no evidence of Kate having met HM, but then again, there is no requirement for every private meeting of HM's to be made public.

I can't remember whether Andrew & Sarah did, but Edward and Sophie certainly spoke to the press after their engagement was announced. Even C&C briefly met with the press the day news of their engagement was made public.

Quite right, it is the custom for the newly engaged couple to meet the press and have photographs taken and show the ring. :flowers:

Meaning Kate will have her first interview will be with HM?
I don't think you can call a meeting with your future grandmother-in-law and interview.
I imagine they have met before, we may not have evidence but she has attended enough royal events for her to speak to the Queen.
Modern times, i think they will give an interview, many present CP's have given engagement interviews. :)

We are talking about the Queen here not just a future in-law. I admit she has been to many events but if anyone spoke first it would be the Queen not Kate, that is protocol.
You are probably right about giving interviews, a precedent has been set and as I said above, an engagement interview is the norm but it is not really an interview, it is making oneself acquainted to the press and therefore to the public. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles and Diana, Andrew and Sarah, Edward and Sophie all meet with the press on the day the engagement was announced and showed off the ring. Even Elizabeth and Philip walked across the BP lawn the day their engagement was announced and at least one photgraph was released. I don't remember if Anne and Mark did something like that as I was at boarding school. Charles and Camilla also spoke a few words to the press on the day of their engagement.

Andrew and Sarah also had a sort of interview done the week or so before the wedding.

The British don't normally do interviews the way that the Europeans do.

William and his fiancee may do an interview but I hope not. I really don't like those sorts of things for the royals as it reduces them to simple celebrity status and royals should be above that sort of thing.

Isnt it the Queen who gives no interview only? I have seen Anne, Andrew, Charles, Philip and so one in interviews, but the Queen only in documentaries, not directly interviewed. I'm sure that William and Kate will give a short interview if they will be engaged!!

Well then who is the big interviewer in the UK?

No one from here in the USA will interveiw them for this.... I think TRH William and Harry had done an intervew with Matt Lauer (An American Journalist) right before the concert for Diana. But diffentally agree that it will and should be an UK journalsit for something like this... ;) but I am not sure who is the most = to Barbra Walters in UK sorry, maybe someone could give us an answer?

Personally, I don't understand that people think that Kate (and Chelsey too) has never met the Queen. She is William's grandmother! Does anyone really believe that there exists a grandmother in the world, who is not interested in meeting the long-term-girlfriend of her grandson? :sad:
And even in her position as Queen, I would expect her to have met Kate before and several times. A situation in which Williams says that he wants to marry Kate, Queen meets Kate and believes that Kate would not make a good wife and Queen, and therefor refuses her permision, would be horrible and cruel. :ohmy:
No, I absolutly believe that they have met and that the Queen approves of Kate, or at least doesn't disapprove.
The press has just not been able to find out about the meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom