The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Excellent advice Russo. No wonder a person I asked to meet on a future visit totally ignored my offer to a drink. What was I thinking?
With regard to the subject matter do you truly believe this wedding will ever take place? IMHO If WIlliam breaks this friendship off and marries another person, he may not come across as a very nice chap.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Administrator

If William decides that Kate is not the one and they break up, I don' think it will make him look like not a nice guy. And the same for Kate. Unless of course, one of them cheated on the other which in turn causes the breakup then all bets are off.

I would prefer that they both be sure before marrying. But I would have liked for Wiliam to date others, before settling down. Yes, people do meet their spouses at college at a fairly young age, I just worry for William he hasn't seen enough. I think he is scared of making the same mistakes of his father.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you blame him? (I know, you don't, it just begged the response. )
Remember when Prince Charles was looking and he said something to the effect that he really had to choose wisely as his choice affected many things. Somebody help this old broad out and get the real quote in here. I think it's very telling and it seems that William is in the same predicament.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

so they arent engaged lol?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Courtier

Russo, I don't know the quote your speaking of but one of my favorites is "Do you seriously expect me to be the first Prince of Wales in history not to have a mistress?" The Prince Charles,Prince of Wales.....Shows the true colours...
Old 08-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Courtier

Prince William and Kate Middleton ‘to marry in July’ claim dismissed - Telegraph
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

The quote Russo is referring to was stated publicly by Charles. It is therefore verifiable. It was made in the 1970s when being asked about what sort of wife he would choose or something like that - I remember him saying it but not all the details. It also included something about having to be forever and that he couldn't get it wrong.

The quote you are referring to was reported as being said by Charles to Diana but can't be confirmed and is therefore not a reliable comment at all - we can't corroborate that he said it. In addition Charles is a student of history and would know that there have been Princes of Wales that haven't had mistresses and so the statement wouldn't be true even if he did say it.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wish they both would date more too, but I know from experience that it's hard to free yourself from someone you're so attached too (especially if you started dating that person at a young age). The problem is that even if you don't love each other anymore the history the couple has together causes them to keep going.

IMO, Will should do one of these:

1) Marry Kate if he loves her.
2) Break-up with her now if he has no intention of marrying her. He should save her a lot of heartache if knows he won't go far with her.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

A lot of times what happens is that a couples stays together longer than they should and they are reluntant to break it off even though it's evident that it's not meant to be. You are right on that point Crown Prince 5.

I know of a couple who have been together since the late 1970's (they were high school sweethearts). They talked about marriage off and on but to my knowledge never actually got married. What's odd is I've seen this woman with a ring of her wedding finger (if you didn't know her history, you would assume she was married). It's almost like she wants to be married but it's not clear to others if she actually is or wants to be. Then she doesn't wear the ring. I have no idea if this couple is actually married or what the deal is since I've haven't seen the woman in a couple of years. If this has been in the 1950's, they probably would have married right outside of high school.

Once Prince Willams turns 30 and he's not married, then some people will start to pressure him to marry. Perhaps he has already felt the pressure. If he has no intention of marrying Kate within the next couple of years, then it would be best for all involved if the couple broke up.

The worst thing that someone can did is to get married because of family, societial or political pressures. Even if a couple love each other, this pressure can cause difficulties later on.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Nobility

Can the Daily Mail never get their facts correct

Charles & Diana did not marry on July 2nd.

Prince William and Kate Middleton will marry next year royal cousin says | Mail Online
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Where does it say July 2nd?
This article even says at the bottom that the claim has been rubished.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

The online article has been corrected.
The original version said 2nd July but now it says 29th July - probably because the original was a typo and when it was pointed out by a number of people it was fixed.

It is that very date that makes be think - no way. I simply can't see William marrying on the 30th anniversary of his parents' marriage considering how disastrous that turned out for everyone involved.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

It is that very date that makes be think - no way. I simply can't see William marrying on the 30th anniversary of his parents' marriage considering how disastrous that turned out for everyone involved.
Neither can I, I can't see them marring on Diana's Birthday, the day she passed away, the day D&C got engaged, anything like that.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Neither can I, I can't see them marring on Diana's Birthday, the day she passed away, the day D&C got engaged, anything like that.
Exactly.. when and if William and Kate do get married.. it will be about the two of them and no one else.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Exactly.. when and if William and Kate do get married.. it will be about the two of them and no one else.
I am afraid that you are wrong about this, William and Kate sleeping together is completely their own business but a royal marriage is something completely different and involves the whole Kingdom and Commonwealth.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Courtier

I think she's a good pick for him but at this point, they bore me to pieces and I'm ready to say "engaged or not engaged, let's call the whole thing off."

Has William inherited the dithering of his father? Sure seems that way.

The Anhalt piece? Could just be a flag sent aloft to gauge public reaction - which if this particular member of the public is asked, is "ho hum."

What is the measure of how long a couple was together in Royal circles in this way before marrying? CP Victoria of Sweden? CP Haakon of Norway?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am afraid that you are wrong about this, William and Kate sleeping together is completely their own business but a royal marriage is something completely different and involves the whole Kingdom and Commonwealth.
A royal marriage might, but not the date they marry. William and whoever his wife is should choose the date they marry, no one else should and I highly doubt it's going to be anywhere near anything relating to Diana and Charles. Like Osipi said the day should be about those two, not memories of William's parents.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Oh that's a given! What I meant is that the date and whatnot of the wedding will not be so-and-so's anniversary or Auntie Pru's 6th anniversary of her bunion surgery or such. I don't really think William and Kate would pick a specific date because it had connotations with someone else's day. :0)
Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Majesty

I think perhaps they're getting dusty and boring because they're being very very private about their affairs these days and just enjoying life. For all we know they DO have the date and everything planned right down to the minute detail... WE just don't know about it yet.

Wedding planning is a very big thing in a girl's life, especially one the size that will be William and Kate's. Perhaps that's what she's doing with her time in Wales while William is on duty. We just don't know.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

Their breakup didn't help solidify the feeling that everything is right on mark and planning is happening behind closed doors. Thay can still be just dating to see if they are truly compatible-who knows?

Closed Thread