The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Shall I do the research to prove it for you?
I have nothing else to do this holiday.

Well, I for one would love to see someone prove it...

Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Aristocracy

Not a bitter statment If William and and Kate love each other dearly like Popeye and Olive they will tie the knot one day I'm saying we must not jump to conclusions like the press They have said everything about this couple I don't belive anything anymore

Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Commoner

I wish he would marry someone from a royal family. Some family that aren't directly related, maybe related 200 years ago or something. Then again he's too much like charles ewwwwww. Harry would be a better king.

RIP
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Cause Harry is dating a member of a royal family?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXVI View Post
I wish he would marry someone from a royal family. Some family that aren't directly related, maybe related 200 years ago or something. Then again he's too much like charles ewwwwww. Harry would be a better king.
I recently watched a documentary about the British royal family and learned that King George V (Queen Elizabeth's Grandfather) changed the family's last name (to Windsor) and changed requirements for marriage (to allow marriages to British commoners) in an effort to create a more quintessentially British royal family. He saw the marriages to foreign royalty as problematic as public opinion certainly did regard these European princes and princesses as foreign. I think that his decision to change marriage requirements was a good one and resulted in this family, now three generations later, really identified as a British family.

I don't see why there is all this fuss for William and Harry to marry European princesses- why not let them marry for love? We saw what happened when their father married for duty rather than for love. Do you really want these boys to have to endure the same experience?

And as Zonk said- Harry is certainly not dating a European royal... nor has he ever! I also think that your assessment of who would make a better king based on who they are dating is completely off base.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

George V changed the family and House name from Saxe-Coburg & Gotha to Windsor in 1917 but he didn't change any "marriage requirements".
Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise married a commoner as did Edward VII's daughter Louise, Princess Royal.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Nobility

Sorry for the error- this documentary emphasized the changes George V made to the monarchy and public perception of the monarchy. Were there any marriage laws changed for heirs to the throne, or have they always been able to marry commoners?

Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

I think that the law doesn't forbid them to marry commoners. But if they are to marry Roman Catholics then they will be removed from the succession.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

There are no marriage laws specifically for heirs to the throne. The Act of Settlement determines succession (eg, marriage to a Roman Catholic disbars the person).
The Royal Marriages Act states in short that male-line descendants of George II must seek the Sovereign's permission to marry.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXVI View Post
I think Harry would be a great king but I don't know if he'd be a better king than William.

I like the fact that royals are now marrying commoners. Most royals are in some way related...so even if Harry goes back 200 years he's still probably marrying his distant cousin. Which is just nasty! I don't care how far back it is. Royals marrying royals are over. Besides I won't be surprised if he marries outside his race...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Besides I won't be surprised if he marries outside his race...
Outside his race? Good luck trying to explain to the British their future queen is African or Asian or something else Society has advanced, but not that much, lets not push it we don't want to spark a republic movement!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think Harry would be a great king but I don't know if he'd be a better king than William.

I like the fact that royals are now marrying commoners. Most royals are in some way related...so even if Harry goes back 200 years he's still probably marrying his distant cousin. Which is just nasty! I don't care how far back it is. Royals marrying royals are over. Besides I won't be surprised if he marries outside his race...
I quite agree that Harry would be a great King, if something happened William which required Harry to step up. But William would be a better king than Harry, something about William tells me that he's more "king-like"

I do hope one day royal-royal marriages will come back into "fashion", but for now I think it's over.
I'd be surprised if William and Harry marry out of their race, future generations maybe.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Courtier

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Prince William Kate Middleton wedding 'next summer'

Will they get marry next year??? who knows!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

10th June wedding that article says, to coincide with Prince Phillips 90th.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Nobility

The article says a June 3rd rehearsal and a June 4th wedding, a bit further down.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well it speculates at the top about June 10th and so it would deflect attention away from what would have been the 30th wedding anniversary of Diana and Charles.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post
What creative minds they have, all a pack of lies! Journalists will do anything to sell a newspaper.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Marrying commoners has some great disadvantages as well. For example, commoners often have difficulties adjusting to royal lifestyle.

Besides, I don't see anything wrong in marrying someone if your most recent common ancestor lived 200 years ago. Most people don't even know their 3rd cousins, let alone 8th or so.

Quote:
Outside his race? Good luck trying to explain to the British their future queen is African or Asian or something else Society has advanced, but not that much, lets not push it we don't want to spark a republic movement!
Black queen consort? That would be easy. How about explaining to the British people why their future monarch looks so different from them? A black King of the UK, a blue-eyed Emperor of Japan or a blond King of Tonga would, I am afraid, only alienate the people from the monarchies. There is a reason why the British Royal Family tried so hard to hide their German ancestry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I do hope one day royal-royal marriages will come back into "fashion"...
Me too.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles will be the last regal, reigning British monarch. I'm not talking blood, I'm talking regal. I don't believe either heir will develop a regal attitude. Hope I'm wrong, but just looking at society as a whole, becoming regal just might be impossible. Everything is just so sloppy now.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think William is the sense of regal about him, his grandmother has put that in him.
But after that thinks will change because HM is not around.