The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't understand what is the significance of 2007.

She isn't doing things now that she wasn't doing then except that she did try to have a job outside the family but the press hounded her. She tried to get involved with public things like the boat race and the skating thing but again she got bad press so probably decided that she should not do anything in the public as a result.

I don't think she went looking for press coverage with these things but more that the press was there and was negative so she withdrew. She never really encouraged them but tried to live with them and they made it impossible for her.

At the moment Kate is a girlfriend. She isn't his wife and might never be his wife but the signs are that he will marry her but she also isn't his mistress and I doubt if she ever will be - wife or nothing is what she will be and I think she will be his wife and do a lovely job as she will be his helpmate and supporter - just what a wife of a British prince should be.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriel View Post
William is doing as HE wishes,an indecisive guy who can't stand being alone.

Kate is ... for me ...... Totally unsuitable to be a member of the Royal Family
I don't think William is indecisive, he knows what he wants and he'll get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

She is educated. She is discreet. She is lovely to look at. She enjoys the outdoorsy life that the royals enjoy.

She isn't a publicity seeker. She isn't flashy. She isn't a show-poney.

She reminds me a lot of HRH The Countess of Wessex - a perfect type for a royal wife - quiet, unassuming.
All very true, she is the perfect royal wife as you say and I think that is why eventually he will end up marrying her. I can see Sophie and Kate getting on well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsol View Post
I agree people here in the uk are so bored by the whole thing it's like they've been married ages ago. i think it's a bad idea to move in together..now he's really got no reason to step up his pace.
Not all of us are that "bored" with the whole thing. They have apparently moved in together, so why is it such a bad idea? He's got no real reason? What about if he wants to move in with her?

Quote:
Hi Iluvbertie

because: keeping her mouth shut your live how "ghost"
sorry ,Her "adjectives" ,but for me look more mistress
and no wife the Prince
more how: Maria Walewska or Agnes Sorel and not Queen Mary or Maria Theresa...
for exemple.
I ask like IluvBertie, "Adjectives" I didn't know Kate had any.
Juts because your discreet does not mean you live like a ghost, it means you know your place when dating a prince.
Camilla was a mistress for Charles a long time, and they eventually married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Keeping your mouth shut and being discreet are both good things but not the most important features for a future Queen.
I am a bit puzzled by what you think is the definition of a mistress.
If a woman is not engaged to a man,
She is sleeping with him, what do you call her, a girlfriend?
Well I am not that old but that wasn´t the definitiion of girlfriend in my day.
All this wouldn´t matter in the least except for one thing, the man in question is the heir to the heir of the throne, whatever the romantics on this forum think, he is of a different sphere and needs to act as the future Defender of Faith.
It would not matter at all if we were referring to any other young man in the UK, but Prince William is different, like it or not.
I understand what you mean that William is different, but what does that have to do with the mistress talk?
A girlfriend IMO is someone who is in a relationship with another person, not engaged nor married.
A mistress is someone who is sleeping with a man, who is married to someone else. Or vice versa.
But yes being discreet is something you have to learn to be a royal wife.

Quote:
discreet? after 2007, and no before
Again.... after 2007

Kate no is wife nor mistress
Could you explain why things changed after 2007?
And why Kate appears like a mistress and not a wife.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I think a more fitting description of Kate's present position is that of a "paramour." She can't be a "mistress" as William is not married to someone else. If he's footing all her financial needs, then she would be the "kept woman." Is she that???
Old 07-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I think a more fitting description of Kate's present position is that of a "paramour." She can't be a "mistress" as William is not married to someone else. If he's footing all her financial needs, then she would be the "kept woman." Is she that???
I researched the word Paramour and got "an illicit lover of a married person" is that what you meant?

IMO Kate is just the girlfriend of the prince.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Well let's see how dictionary dot com defines "Mistress"

mis·tress

   /ˈmɪstrɪs/ Show Spelled[mis-tris] Show IPA
–noun 1. a woman who has authority, control, or power, esp. the female head of a household, institution, or other establishment.

2. a woman employing, or in authority over, servants or attendants.

3. a female owner of an animal, or formerly, a slave.

4. a woman who has the power of controlling or disposing of something at her own pleasure: mistress of a great fortune.

5. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) something regarded as feminine that has control or supremacy: Great Britain, the mistress of the seas.

6. a women who is skilled in something, as an occupation or art.

7. a woman who has a continuing, extramarital sexual relationship with one man, esp. a man who, in return for an exclusive and continuing liaison, provides her with financial support.

8. British . a female schoolteacher; schoolmistress.

9. ( initial capital letter ) a term of address in former use and corresponding to Mrs., Miss, or Ms.

10. Archaic . sweetheart.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

LQueen, I didn't look it up. That's the term my family used for unmarried "intimates."

She can't be a paramour, then, and I've got to stop using it incorrectly!!!

Russo, #10 is how we used it. I didn't know it was archaic!!! LOL and no one knows for sure that she is #7.

Until proven otherwise, I will think of her as innocent -- as it's not my business.

Thx to both for the heads up.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Well it looks to me like it's a "D": all of the above; sort of thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She never really encouraged them but tried to live with them and they made it impossible for her.
I disagree about the 'never'.
In the weeks following her most serious split with William, Kate was definitely seeking attention. She was hitting parties after parties at high profile clubs where she was sure to have her picture taken, wearing more suggestive outfits than before, engaging the paparazzi enthusiastically (I don't mean smiling politely but actually engaging). I clearly remember these shots of her and her sisters laughing hysterically with the paps, and Kate even wiping out her mobile phone to take picture of them.
Anytime she pulls a Garbo I am reminded of her conduct post split and I quietly chuckle.
I agree with those saying her discretion is a strategy. If and when she becomes William's wife, she won't have any problem whatsoever with the attention.

Here's an article I completely agree with:

Why Kate Middleton is Prince William’s Only Option
Quote:
To be a senior royal is not a VIP pass to an endless succession of glittering parties (although there are, of course, glittering parties aplenty). To the contrary: it means daily duty, a regimented schedule, no room for spontaneity, hundreds of charity appearances a year, mind-numbing small talk, a perma-paste smile, crushing responsibilities, 24/7 surveillance, zero privacy—and dwindling respect and appreciation from a public who doesn’t understand your immense contributions and increasingly views you as a tax burden.

“Well-bred, moneyed English beauties have learned from Princess Diana’s legacy, reportedly feeling like Jane Wellesley before them: give up an already-abundant life for stifling duty, no privacy and the chance to briefly wear a heavy crown in Westminster Abbey? No, thanks.”
Imo, William will 'settle' with Kate, not marry her because she is the love of his life. Please don't bombard me with the usual 'What proof do you have'?' and 'You don't know them' litany, this is just my personal opinion.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
As for William being the future Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England considering the previous holders of those titles he is perfectly acceptable as at least he is upfront about it.
being up front about it only makes him a hyprocite. if i'm not mistaken, the CoE doesn't condone living together outside marriage or sex outside marriage. just because others before him sowed their wild oats doesn't mean it was right then either. i may be wrong, if the CoE doesn't say anything, officially, about these things then more power to them.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

I think much of these royal relationships is hypocracy. Just trying to look good for the court of public opinion.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Correct me if I'm wrong, and this refers to the entire post of 1839, didn't the PoW want to be "Defender OF faith" and not "Defender of the faith". So things would be different when PW comes to the throne. . .
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, and this refers to the entire post of 1839, didn't the PoW want to be "Defender OF faith" and not "Defender of the faith". So things would be different when PW comes to the throne. . .
I think he somewhat mentioned it once that it would be nice to be "Defender of Faiths" rather than "Defender of the Faith". From what I've been reading lately the PoW has had an extensive interest in other faiths and beliefs and so did Diana. We have no idea what William's beliefs are because I don't think I have ever seen anywhere where's he's talked about it.

Personally I do see that at one time the Church of England was a driving force in the religious community back in its time. I think where Charles may be coming from is that the world is so much more globalized now and there is a wider mixture of faiths in the UK communities and being Defender of Faiths would include all citizens no matter what they believe. Its also been pointed out that it would take a whole lot of history away from the monarchy and if I remember right... acts of Parliament. I really don't see it happening as the Church of England has been the state religion for centuries.

Ok.. folks.. time to set 'Sippi straight here where she's got things wrong yet again.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think he somewhat mentioned it once that it would be nice to be "Defender of Faiths" rather than "Defender of the Faith". From what I've been reading lately the PoW has had an extensive interest in other faiths and beliefs and so did Diana. We have no idea what William's beliefs are because I don't think I have ever seen anywhere where's he's talked about it.
Funny you mention that, I haven't seen anything or read anything either. Interesting.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Funny you mention that, I haven't seen anything or read anything either. Interesting.
To be honest.. I'm not overly surprised either. Charles, to me, comes across as an aesthetic wishing to know more. Diana was seeking answers and something beyond her grasp she couldn't put a handle on. William and Harry both are well adjusted young men who perhaps haven't had a reason to deeply delve into the spiritual nature of things enough to really form an opinion that they'd state about in public.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest.. I'm not overly surprised either. Charles, to me, comes across as an aesthetic wishing to know more. Diana was seeking answers and something beyond her grasp she couldn't put a handle on. William and Harry both are well adjusted young men who perhaps haven't had a reason to deeply delve into the spiritual nature of things enough to really form an opinion that they'd state about in public.
Makes me wonder if Harry prayed over in Afghanistan. I know my youngest when he was in Iraq, got blessings and prayers there.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Makes me wonder if Harry prayed over in Afghanistan. I know my youngest when he was in Iraq, got blessings and prayers there.
I think when you're in a situation like Iraq.. there are short forms that can act as prayers. "OH shi... " is a very common one. Prayer no matter how its done is a powerful force and works I believe. As to either William or Harry attending chapel or any religious services while in service... I have no clue.

(following Russo around with a big empty wine glass)
Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Didn't William and Harry once wear those Kabbalah red strings around their wrists? That could say something about their spiritual side?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
Didn't William and Harry once wear those Kabbalah red strings around their wrists? That could say something about their spiritual side?
I haven't read or heard anything about them but yet again it wouldn't surprise me. Both of their parents were seekers of estoteric knowledge and that had to rub off a bit.

For one, to actually study and learn the Kaballah, one has to have an extensive knowledge of Judaism.. its a mystical branch of that religion. I've explored it a bit and this is the first I've heard of the red strings so I did a bit of looking.

Wearing a thin red string (as a type of talisman) is a custom, popularly thought to be associated with Judaism's Kabbalah, to ward off misfortune brought about by an "evil eye" (עין הרע in Hebrew). In Yiddish the red string is called a roite bindele.

Red string (Kabbalah) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't really think it would show their spiritual side but like many of us, wear talismans or amulets or carry a lucky coin that are reputed to benefit ourselves.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I researched the word Paramour and got "an illicit lover of a married person" is that what you meant?

IMO Kate is just the girlfriend of the prince.
or in the vernacular of years gone by "main squeeze" or 'his ol' lady" or even "his SO"
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Heir Apparent

"His Significant Other"?.... That is really going waay back. lol

Closed Thread