The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many times have they broken up?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Majesty

There was the just the one time that's been confirmed, and I think that it lasted for something like a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Serene Highness

I think William wont marry until he's done with his training in Wales which is suppose to last 3 years. I think it'll be a good time for them to experience what married life will be like and if they really want to spend the rest of their lives together. Those 3 years will be a test run, so to say so that they can really see if they're meant to be. If they last the three years then I would say they're ready to be married, if they want. I definitely don't see William getting married until he's 100% certain he's ready.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Depends on who you ask. Supporters of this couple say they only split in 2007 for either a few days or a few weeks. Opponents of the couple would tell you they've broken up three or four times since they first began dating.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I think William wont marry until he's done with his training in Wales which is suppose to last 3 years. I think it'll be a good time for them to experience what married life will be like and if they really want to spend the rest of their lives together. Those 3 years will be a test run, so to say so that they can really see if they're meant to be. If they last the three years then I would say they're ready to be married, if they want. I definitely don't see William getting married until he's 100% certain he's ready.
But wouldn't being in a 7 year relationship, living together in university, and going through so much together make William want to marry Kate? If the guy is still unsure to this day, then I say he should call off the relationship. Having gone through what I already mentioned would be enough to make up his mind.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
But wouldn't being in a 7 year relationship, living together in university, and going through so much together make William want to marry Kate? If the guy is still unsure to this day, then I say he should call off the relationship. Having gone through what I already mentioned would be enough to make up his mind.
That's what I say. Nothing's wrong with them waiting but IMO if Will knows in his heart that he probably won't marry her then he should call it off. It wouldn't be right to drag it on. Or maybe he just doesn't know what he wants yet. I think Will watched his dad and he doesn't want to make the same mistakes.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
The thing is that they can live together without getting married.
I remember when Sophie and Edward were staying at Buckingham Palace and it was made a big deal of that they had separate apartments and even before Charles and Diana married you remember the big ruckus about
the press saying they saw a blonde woman leaving the royal train at night, hinting that it was Diana.
I believe the Church of England does not condon living together before marriage, although I know it is common today.
Personally myself and my faith does not believe in it as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I don't think its really so much that he doesn't want to get married or be married but more so keeping it simple until he's done with his training and the both of them are ready to take up royal duties and being in the royal fishbowl. Once Kate marries William, she'll be expected to do duties and they want to be themselves a while before that happens.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't think its really so much that he doesn't want to get married or be married but more so keeping it simple until he's done with his training and the both of them are ready to take up royal duties and being in the royal fishbowl. Once Kate marries William, she'll be expected to do duties and they want to be themselves a while before that happens.

I don't think he will marry when he finishes training - in September this year, but more when he finishes his service - in 2013 or even 2017 if he extends his military career.

I do think he would like to extend it as long as possible as that means he can avoid doing full time royal duties.

I don't see him marrying until then as I don't think he wants his wife creating a profile for herself as a royal wife without him around and once married she would be expected to be a full time royal even if he isn't.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't think he will marry when he finishes training - in September this year, but more when he finishes his service - in 2013 or even 2017 if he extends his military career.
Ooops.. that's what I meant... his service.. not his training. I think the only way they'd get married before this is if they wanted to start a family.

Quote:
I do think he would like to extend it as long as possible as that means he can avoid doing full time royal duties.
I don't see it as avoiding full time duties but rather realizing that right now there's not really the need. Charles was under pressure as he was the heir. With Charles and Camilla, Andrew, Anne, and Edward and Sophie, there are plenty of available royals to do the major work. William knows his time will come and he can have a more private life for a while longer.

Quote:
I don't see him marrying until then as I don't think he wants his wife creating a profile for herself as a royal wife without him around and once married she would be expected to be a full time royal even if he isn't.
Exactly. When they go into public duties they will do it together as a couple like Edward and Sophie did. I think too that after they do marry, they will be very private people and just want to start raising a family with doing duties together but not full time.

Then again they could surprise us and announce an engagement tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Exactly. When they go into public duties they will do it together as a couple like Edward and Sophie did. I think too that after they do marry, they will be very private people and just want to start raising a family with doing duties together but not full time.

As the second in line he won't be able to have that time - when he marries he will be a full time working royal and his wife will be expected to step up immediately, with occasional time out to have the heir and spare.

I would expect that he will have some time after leaving the military to become a full time royal before announcing the engagement and that could still be a number of years away - I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time we are still discussing when William will marry.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Well July of 2011 is out.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
When couples in relationships breakup and then get back together again, it always sends a message that something was not totally right with the relationship from the beginning. Even with Harry too, his girl ends up breaking up so she can pursue her career... just not strong footing it appears.
I 100% agree with you, if it didn't work the first time round it probably won't work the second.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Courtier

I notice Prince Albert of Monaco has named the day ... Saturday 9 July 2011.
It does seem royal engagements are lasting a year now instead of the usual 3/4 months.

If William gets engaged I wonder if he will fast-track a marriage or hold on for 12 months as seems to be the current trend in Europe?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think it will be a year, but I think he'll wait 6 months perhaps.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I 100% agree with you, if it didn't work the first time round it probably won't work the second.

You know all the people I know who had a break-up of a couple of months (which is what William and Kate did) and then married are still together over 25 years later. The couples that never had that break-up are the ones that are divorced.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think couples need a break-up when they are dating, because if you get back together you know it's meant to be. You need to know how you feel when you are apart from them, if you can cope or not.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Commoner

^ That is not universally true. Every couple is different. Specifically, it depends upon the reason/s for the breakup in the first instance, and also what are the reasons for making up.

To resume a relationship because one is not able to 'cope' sounds very unhealthy to me. But perhaps I have misunderstood your point. :)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
As the second in line he won't be able to have that time - when he marries he will be a full time working royal and his wife will be expected to step up immediately, with occasional time out to have the heir and spare.

I would expect that he will have some time after leaving the military to become a full time royal before announcing the engagement and that could still be a number of years away - I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time we are still discussing when William will marry.
Agree 100%!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Commoner

I think when William meets "the one", he will marry very quickly. Whilst I think that he isn't ready to marry anyone, I also think he doesn't want to marry Kate.

Closed Thread