The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I do not think Kate was in Africa. The trip to Africa was very much a working trip, and William probably did not consider it appropriate to take along an unmarried consort for his official trip.
But she could have flown to Africa after the trip had ended. Which is what was being discussed.
We know she wasn't there during the trip, and apparently neither was Chelsy.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
so what does kate do these days? does she work or study at all?

i think she quitted her job not long ago.

What we know is that she finished her degree many years ago.

Since then she has one or two part-time jobs in the public sphere but mostly has worked for her parents' internet and mail order business from their home.

There have been some reports that she is no longer doing that but instead is living with William in Wales.

Personally I don't believe that she is doing nothing but realise that with the internet and its capacity for instand communication there is no reason why, if she is living with William in Wales, she couldn't still be maintaining her parents' website from Wales so long as the server is set up accordingly.

There are many people who like to believe that she has been doing nothing since leaving uni but others, like me, believe that she has been working steadily for Mum and Dad - like many other children in family businesses. As the only people who know how much or little work she has actually been doing for the family business are those who are also working there - namely her family - we really can only make up our minds based on out personal experiences with situations like this, or go with what the press stories make up about the situation. Personally I prefer to make up my mind based on personal experience of family firms rather than the trash put forth by the press.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 AM
Courtier

You are of course welcome to believe whatever you like and the "others" you mention, of course.
Reading through any comments in British newspapers about Miss Middleton I find that there is a large number who think that she is just sitting round making herself beautiful and ready for William´s call, but of course they are welcome to their opinion as well.
By the way if she was still working for her family´s firm why make a secret of it when she has been so criticized in the past for doing nothing?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

By the way if she was still working for her family´s firm why make a secret of it when she has been so criticized in the past for doing nothing?
Perhaps that may be because neither she nor her family are any obligation to update the tabloids as to her activities.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Perhaps that may be because neither she nor her family are any obligation to update the tabloids as to her activities.
Of course they have no obligation but when some years back there was criticism of her not working, the family were very quick off the mark to, IMHO, invent a job for her with the firm so why on earth would they hide the fact she was working for them now? Tabloids don´t need to be informed, they have their ways of finding out without having to telephone the family and ask.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

If you are a believer of the propoganda, then I am sure that is a line of argument you can believe in.

What you may be calling "invent a job" may well be something she has been doing for some time now. Are you privy to any information that you can share with TRF members that substantiate your claim that Kate had not been working for her parents and the job was "invented"? Posting links to unsubstantiated tabloid stories would not be considered appropriate.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Courtier

I abhor propaganda and that goes for both sides of the story. From the Middletons and from the Press. I did put IMHO which means it is just my opinion, and as Lumut is always saying everyone can have an opinion. There is no way to post links to an opinion.
I am just putting doubts on the fact that Iluv put forward, the suggestion that even though it was announced that Kate was leaving, or had left, her job with the family company she is working in secret for them still. That would be strange to say the least, surely she would not be ashamed of this.
Mainly my reading of tabloids comes from the links posted on this site as I never buy them and the only magazine I have a subscription to is Point de Vue.
Only a fool would believe everything that is written in tabloids and I hope I am not being vain in saying, I am NO fool.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Majesty

You appear to wish to believe the negative stories in the press whereas I prefer to believe the positive stuff that has come from the family over the years as they are at least in a position to know whereas the press aren't - unless they are in the home and are seeing what she is doing they are simply making it up.

You have chosen to believe one lot of propaganda and me another - and that is all it is - propaganda from the family and the press with one side saying one thing and the other side putting the opposite version on things.

Propaganda is so subtle that often people don't even recognise what it is and assume that it can only be the blatant in your face type of propaganda that the world experienced during the world wars but these days it is way more subtle e.g. in the movies and tv shows as well as in the press.

I am putting a positive spin on things as I don't think any self respecting young woman would simply sit around all day and do nothing in the modern world. I am also pointing out that if she is living with William (and I believe that she is) it doesn't mean that she is no longer working for her parents. The press that are reporting that she is living with William are also the ones saying that she has quit working for the family in order to live with him. I am simply saying that that doesn't necessarily mean that she has had to quit her job as she is supposed to have been working on the website - she can do that and live on the other side of the world let alone the other side of the country.

I really have no idea what she is doing as I don't know so I am only giving my opinion - and based on most people on here I would be in a small minority as that I generally find that most people here are in the - Kate does nothing all day camp based on the same evidence I have - none.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I abhor propaganda and that goes for both sides of the story. From the Middletons and from the Press. I did put IMHO which means it is just my opinion, and as Lumut is always saying everyone can have an opinion. There is no way to post links to an opinion.
I am not doubting that we are all entitled to our opinions, but in post 1698 you accused the Middletons of inventing a job for Kate, even if you prefaced it with an IMHO. What is your basis for this, with or without weblinks?
Quote:
Mainly my reading of tabloids comes from the links posted on this site as I never buy them and the only magazine I have a subscription to is Point de Vue.
I did not realise Point de Vue had much readership in Maidenhead
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Courtier

I thought it very convenient that soon after Kate Middleton was criticized for not working or getting a job it was announced that she was working for her family business and there was even a photo of her in a pretty dress and high heels actually carrying a box out the door. My opinion is that it was to counterract the accusation of not working and just waiting around that a job was found for her within the family email online business, perhaps now that she has left they have been left shorthanded, it is my opinion and as I said before there is no way to back up an opinion or a gut feeling.
As to Point de Vue being read in Maidenhead, it all depends on one´s education, if one speaks French it is the best magazine to buy. also that is an opinion perhaps others prefer "Femme d´aujourd´huis". I rather like Figaro and Paris Match but for royal and society events Point de Vue is the magazine, and as I have a subscription it is sent to my door.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Over the past few days there have been posts concerning Kate Middleton quite a bit.. Was she or was she not in Africa? Did she spend William's birthday with him? What is Kate doing? Is Kate living with William in Wales or isn't she? Are the papers reporting the truth or making up stuff again?

To me it just all boils down to the fact that both William and Kate are very private people and if there's something they don't want everyone to know, they're going to go out of their way to ensure the public doesn't know. Can we blame them? William grew up with every little thing his mother did being splashed on front pages everywhere.. from the good she did to the not so good. It was these same newspaper journalists and a slew of photographers that figured widely to the crash in Paris which ended her life. He most certainly does not want or need this type of publicity in his life. Kate understands this and with keeping a low profile I think she is showing a lot of respect not only for William but the BRF also. William wants to lead as much as a "normal" life as he can right now and that's a good thing. His days of royal duties will come soon enough and he'll have to be in the public eye. I seriously think right now though both of them want to remain very much out of sight and print as far a their private lives are concerned.

This leaves us with journalists and photographers that have been presented with a challenge. To get the scoop.
As they're not really getting much of anything to write about, they're going to gloss over any little tidbit they can find and add their point of view be it positive or negative.

This I think is one reason we rarely see BP or CH affirming or denying things that are printed. To do so would just egg them on to write more and more suppositions on something they "think" is going on. For example the worldwide news break that an announcement of an engagement was imminent as there were dates cleared on the duty rosters. As we know now.. that never happened.. oooops! false alarm! With this in mind, anything I read about their private lives I take with a grain of salt.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought it very convenient that soon after Kate Middleton was criticized for not working or getting a job it was announced that she was working for her family business and there was even a photo of her in a pretty dress and high heels actually carrying a box out the door. My opinion is that it was to counterract the accusation of not working and just waiting around that a job was found for her within the family email online business, perhaps now that she has left they have been left shorthanded, it is my opinion and as I said before there is no way to back up an opinion or a gut feeling.
If that was the case, how come these pictures are not conveniently made available on a regular basis to counter the negative press from the tabloids? Surely somebody as media-savvy as the Middletons (as often suggested in the press) would be able to arrange that?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Over the past few days there have been posts concerning Kate Middleton quite a bit.. Was she or was she not in Africa? Did she spend William's birthday with him? What is Kate doing? Is Kate living with William in Wales or isn't she? Are the papers reporting the truth or making up stuff again?

To me it just all boils down to the fact that both William and Kate are very private people and if there's something they don't want everyone to know, they're going to go out of their way to ensure the public doesn't know. Can we blame them? William grew up with every little thing his mother did being splashed on front pages everywhere.. from the good she did to the not so good. It was these same newspaper journalists and a slew of photographers that figured widely to the crash in Paris which ended her life. He most certainly does not want or need this type of publicity in his life. Kate understands this and with keeping a low profile I think she is showing a lot of respect not only for William but the BRF also. William wants to lead as much as a "normal" life as he can right now and that's a good thing. His days of royal duties will come soon enough and he'll have to be in the public eye. I seriously think right now though both of them want to remain very much out of sight and print as far a their private lives are concerned.

This leaves us with journalists and photographers that have been presented with a challenge. To get the scoop.
As they're not really getting much of anything to write about, they're going to gloss over any little tidbit they can find and add their point of view be it positive or negative.

This I think is one reason we rarely see BP or CH affirming or denying things that are printed. To do so would just egg them on to write more and more suppositions on something they "think" is going on. For example the worldwide news break that an announcement of an engagement was imminent as there were dates cleared on the duty rosters. As we know now.. that never happened.. oooops! false alarm! With this in mind, anything I read about their private lives I take with a grain of salt.
Fully agree with you, Osipi!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As to Point de Vue being read in Maidenhead, it all depends on one´s education, if one speaks French it is the best magazine to buy. also that is an opinion perhaps others prefer "Femme d´aujourd´huis". I rather like Figaro and Paris Match but for royal and society events Point de Vue is the magazine, and as I have a subscription it is sent to my door.
I really must revise my views on the cultural goings on in and around the Slough area!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Courtier

I agree completely Osipi about William, one day he will have far too much attention for his liking for sure and now he is enjoying himself with a girlfriend and would like to be left alone.
In answer to why more pictures aren´t given out of Kate working her fingers to the bone for her family´s business is perhaps IMHO she isn´t, or that the one photograph and the appearance in the staff photo op that we saw, was judged to be quite enough to calm speculation.
She is keeping a low profile lately and I for one, think that is a very good idea. If she does end up married to William it is good, and if she is later left for a later model that is good too.
One thing is true though, it is William who is the royal and he will always be, and to many people he can do no wrong.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
One thing is true though, it is William who is the royal and he will always be, and to many people he can do no wrong.
William also learned from the best... his granny. I think the Queen has been Will's beloved mentor and he is quite close to her such as Charles was close with the Queen Mum. While he was at Eton he'd often walk across the bridge over to Windsor Castle for Sunday afternoon tea with her. As much as the Queen's private life is just that.. private, its from her that William gained the sense of duty and also discretion. The last thing I think he'd ever want to do is disappoint Granny or his father. This too is where I think Kate keeping a low profile and out of the public mainstream is preparing her for royal life if and when she does marry William.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
William also learned from the best... his granny. I think the Queen has been Will's beloved mentor and he is quite close to her such as Charles was close with the Queen Mum. While he was at Eton he'd often walk across the bridge over to Windsor Castle for Sunday afternoon tea with her. As much as the Queen's private life is just that.. private, its from her that William gained the sense of duty and also discretion. The last thing I think he'd ever want to do is disappoint Granny or his father. This too is where I think Kate keeping a low profile and out of the public mainstream is preparing her for royal life if and when she does marry William.
I hope that is true that William sees HM as his mentor. Whilst it is difficult to know about royal relationships within the family and it would be lovely if william;s relationship with HM was akinto Charles' with QEQM, I somehow doubt that the bond is as close. Charles was practically brought up by QEQM as HM was new in her role as monarch at the time, whereas William had a strong mother figure in Diana till he was 15.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I really must revise my views on the cultural goings on in and around the Slough area!
There is also a library there and they carry many, many periodicals as well as the 16 internet access terminals. Ain't technology GRAND???
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen
But she could have flown to Africa after the trip had ended. Which is what was being discussed.
I doubt that she did.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Commoner

Well if they do get married, I wonder if the marriage will work. I mean look at what happened Sarah Ferguson and so many other royals. Charles and Diana. I hope he does find that one person who will love him and just make him happy. His life and what he witnessed with his parents mustn't have been easy. I think he'll choose someone who will have the ability to just fall in line with him and who will have the stamina to keep up with William and the capability to take on the royal duties. Hope they do work out.