The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Thank you, Lady Ann! I was talking about her "job" as a future princess/queen. Let's hope Kate will finally get used to it.
Needless to say, I'm actually one of those who think it is going to happen.

Getting used to 'it' when on public duties yes but having to put up with it at all times is intolerable and the line needs to be drawn. The royals, the courts and the general public are increasingly defining everyone's right to privacy and that included the right to do things on private property without worrying about the intrusion of photographers determined to take photos for the general public who believe that they have a right to see anything these people in the public eye do, even when in private situations.

I have even seen the term 'public property' used to describe human beings - and on this board I might add. That really disturbs me as property is something you own and no-one owns another person.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
That whole incident makes it clear, in a not-so-veiled way, that she is a soon to be princess.

I'm curious who her first solo interview will be with after their engagement...maybe Barbara Walters?
I don't see why it would be an american, IF they give an interview it will be with an english journalist or newsreader.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Courtier

If there is to be an engagement I should imagine her very first interview will be with HM the Queen, as so far we have no evidence that the Queen has ever really met her, I mean a nod or a good morning or being in the same room is not exactly meeting her.
Actually I have always heard that British royalty do not give interviews and that it was very shocking to most people when Diana then Charles did. Other minor royalties I am sure do not matter but the precedent has been set I suppose.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
If there is to be an engagement I should imagine her very first interview will be with HM the Queen, as so far we have no evidence that the Queen has ever really met her, I mean a nod or a good morning or being in the same room is not exactly meeting her.
Agreed there is no evidence of Kate having met HM, but then again, there is no requirement for every private meeting of HM's to be made public.

Quote:
Actually I have always heard that British royalty do not give interviews and that it was very shocking to most people when Diana then Charles did. Other minor royalties I am sure do not matter but the precedent has been set I suppose.
I can't remember whether Andrew & Sarah did, but Edward and Sophie certainly spoke to the press after their engagement was announced. Even C&C briefly met with the press the day news of their engagement was made public.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Meaning Kate will have her first interview will be with HM?
I don't think you can call a meeting with your future grandmother-in-law and interview.
I imagine they have met before, we may not have evidence but she has attended enough royal events for her to speak to the Queen.
Modern times, i think they will give an interview, many present CP's have given engagement interviews.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Agreed there is no evidence of Kate having met HM, but then again, there is no requirement for every private meeting of HM's to be made public.

I can't remember whether Andrew & Sarah did, but Edward and Sophie certainly spoke to the press after their engagement was announced. Even C&C briefly met with the press the day news of their engagement was made public.
Quite right, it is the custom for the newly engaged couple to meet the press and have photographs taken and show the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Meaning Kate will have her first interview will be with HM?
I don't think you can call a meeting with your future grandmother-in-law and interview.
I imagine they have met before, we may not have evidence but she has attended enough royal events for her to speak to the Queen.
Modern times, i think they will give an interview, many present CP's have given engagement interviews.
We are talking about the Queen here not just a future in-law. I admit she has been to many events but if anyone spoke first it would be the Queen not Kate, that is protocol.
You are probably right about giving interviews, a precedent has been set and as I said above, an engagement interview is the norm but it is not really an interview, it is making oneself acquainted to the press and therefore to the public.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Majesty

Charles and Diana, Andrew and Sarah, Edward and Sophie all meet with the press on the day the engagement was announced and showed off the ring. Even Elizabeth and Philip walked across the BP lawn the day their engagement was announced and at least one photgraph was released. I don't remember if Anne and Mark did something like that as I was at boarding school. Charles and Camilla also spoke a few words to the press on the day of their engagement.

Andrew and Sarah also had a sort of interview done the week or so before the wedding.

The British don't normally do interviews the way that the Europeans do.

William and his fiancee may do an interview but I hope not. I really don't like those sorts of things for the royals as it reduces them to simple celebrity status and royals should be above that sort of thing.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Aristocracy

Isnt it the Queen who gives no interview only? I have seen Anne, Andrew, Charles, Philip and so one in interviews, but the Queen only in documentaries, not directly interviewed. I'm sure that William and Kate will give a short interview if they will be engaged!!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Well then who is the big interviewer in the UK?
No one from here in the USA will interveiw them for this.... I think TRH William and Harry had done an intervew with Matt Lauer (An American Journalist) right before the concert for Diana. But diffentally agree that it will and should be an UK journalsit for something like this... but I am not sure who is the most = to Barbra Walters in UK sorry, maybe someone could give us an answer?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Personally, I don't understand that people think that Kate (and Chelsey too) has never met the Queen. She is William's grandmother! Does anyone really believe that there exists a grandmother in the world, who is not interested in meeting the long-term-girlfriend of her grandson?
And even in her position as Queen, I would expect her to have met Kate before and several times. A situation in which Williams says that he wants to marry Kate, Queen meets Kate and believes that Kate would not make a good wife and Queen, and therefor refuses her permision, would be horrible and cruel.
No, I absolutly believe that they have met and that the Queen approves of Kate, or at least doesn't disapprove.
The press has just not been able to find out about the meetings.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Thank you, I agree 100% SLV!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Thumbs up

I think you are 100% correct. Bravo!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
No one from here in the USA will interveiw them for this.... I think TRH William and Harry had done an intervew with Matt Lauer (An American Journalist) right before the concert for Diana. But diffentally agree that it will and should be an UK journalsit for something like this... but I am not sure who is the most = to Barbra Walters in UK sorry, maybe someone could give us an answer?
William and Harry were interviewed by Fearne Cotton to for BBC just before the Concert for Diana. Harry also did an interview with Matt Lauer when he was in New York last year.

I think the idea with the engagement interview can be quite good for the people to get to know the (in this case) wife of their future king. I wonder if William and Kate could get away with just a photo call in the garden considering the media interest they've had for so many years now...

Oh and btw, a British version of the "Barbara Walters type" I guess could be Michael Parkinson, David Frost or maybe even Piers Morgan
Old 01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
We are talking about the Queen here not just a future in-law.
Yes but she is Williams grandmother first and foremost. Which comes before anything.
She will of wanted and probably met Kate a few times.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani90 View Post
I think the idea with the engagement interview can be quite good for the people to get to know the (in this case) wife of their future king. I wonder if William and Kate could get away with just a photo call in the garden considering the media interest they've had for so many years now...
I know that a joint interview of Charles and Diana, done by two BBC broadcasters, was aired as a part of their wedding coverage. It looked like it was done a few months after the engagement interview, right before the actual wedding. The footage used to be on YouTube with the rest of their wedding, but I think it's been taken down.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani90 View Post
William and Harry were interviewed by Fearne Cotton to for BBC just before the Concert for Diana. Harry also did an interview with Matt Lauer when he was in New York last year.

Oh and btw, a British version of the "Barbara Walters type" I guess could be Michael Parkinson, David Frost or maybe even Piers Morgan
Yes, I knew about the Fearne Cotton interview but, I thought they had done something with Matt Lauer as well. In fact, I am almost positive not that it matters much, whom ever gets the announcement interview will be lucky thanks for the info on the Barbara Walters type lol I honestly had no clue ... Sorry I don't think they could get away with a photo opp. Not at this point in the game anyway! Although, they might try
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I thought they had done something with Matt Lauer as well. In fact, I am almost positive not that it matters much,
Matt interviewed William and Harry on June 19th 2007.
A royal conversation with William and Harry - A conversation with William and Harry- msnbc.com

I don't doubt that they will do an interview, probs with a newsreader, and a photo op.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Thanks, still holding out for the interview but I would be happy with some live feed of a walk across the lawn and some stills...and a nice shot of the ring ...Although, I would love to hear her speak for the love of God and NOT for 20 seconds. lol
Old 01-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Courtier

Don't count Barbara Walters out of the (non-existent) running just yet! Every year on her morning TV show, The View, she shows her Christmas card from Charles and Camilla -- always with a personal note and signed by both, of course.

When and if the time comes, I could see it being handled like the Diana concert interviews -- one with a UK presenter and another with a US presenter, perhaps during the wedding run-up, not immediately after the engagement.

Like another poster, I'd be happy with just an announcement and photo!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Aristocracy

Barbara Walters interviewed Sarah The Duchess of York a few months after the wedding. At Buckingham Palace.