The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Nobility

I don't know wether they will get married or not. I just know one thing... if this were my wedding and the actual engagement date was leaked... I would pick a different date. Even if it's just one week later.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:00 AM

^No kidding. Is it even possible that the Palace would announce something on this date that has been leaked like this, and the media lies in wait for it to happen? I thought for sure they wouldn't do it, even if they had planned a year ago to do it, because it's like feeding into the tabloid speculation, which they say they never do, and it's like 'confirming' them to be right. It's too obvious. It puts them on the spot. So I think those days will pass and nothing extraordinary will happen. And then we'll see the press foiled again.
Maybe it will teach them a lesson not to try to bully the Palace into action.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Courtier

William and Harry: Amazon.co.uk: Katie Nicholl: Books

Look forward to seeing the book published on 3 JUNE 2010.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
No not YouTube. If I find any of the videos I'll post them.
If you can't, you could explain what is on them that gave you a not-so-good impression of Kate. Maybe one of us has seen the video?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness

I kinda agree he's only been in one serious relationship with Kate, but if it's working for them then hey! go for it. They did have that break though and after that they still chose to get back together, so I truly think they'll go the distance. I think William is taking his time because his parents dated for less than a year and ended in divorce and Andrew and Fergie dated for less than a year and ended in divorce. About this year being another year of speculation most likely yes, I think William learned from his uncle that you cant be away for most of the year in the military, and married because it will cause a lot of stress so he'll probably wait until he's out of the military. Plus he's only 28(Soon) Felipe only married in his mid 30's!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:59 AM
Courtier

I really don´t think that William is going to marry Kate, I believe he will marry someone who his family find more suitable at a later date, as a man he has much more time for this. I believe that Kate knows this and has come to the conclusion she is agreeable to this situation as are her parents.
As far as the argument that Felipe only married in his mid 30´s, he wanted to get married several times before he met and demanded to marry Letizia but the young ladies in question, rightly or wrongly were not deemed appropriate and he gave up.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I hate it when people place Williams decision not to marry on the fact that his parents and uncles marriage failed. Is it possible to concieve that, that is not at the forfront of his mind? Perhaps neither want to get married yet.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Courtier

I really don´t think Prince Williams hesitation about comitting himself to marriage is because of his parents failed marriage at all. He is royal, and has been brought up a royal and educated for his future position of King of England and duty. He is going to take the idea of marriage very seriously and who he chooses for his bride. His heart might take him in one direction but duty has perhaps the biggest hold on him.
The nonsense talk of a runaway wedding or being able to postpone a royal wedding for a week to fool the press is laughable. A royal wedding, especially in the UK, is an occasion with hundreds of guests, heads of governments and other ruling and non-ruling royals invited. In fact it makes me chuckle to think of all these people getting in a train and standing round the anvil, thank goodness it is only the kind of scene we would have got and laughed at in Monty Python´s Circus.
I sincerely hope that Prince William makes the right choice and manages to be happy as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I really don´t think Prince Williams hesitation about comitting himself to marriage is because of his parents failed marriage at all. He is royal, and has been brought up a royal and educated for his future position of King of England and duty. He is going to take the idea of marriage very seriously and who he chooses for his bride. His heart might take him in one direction but duty has perhaps the biggest hold on him.

This is a major reason why I can see him not marrying. He knows he can't get it wrong so it is better not to do it at all rather than make the same mistake his parents' made and marry the wrong person.

We can even take this beyond his own parents and look at uncles and aunts:

Uncle Andrew - divorced
Uncle Charles - divorced twice
Aunt Anne - divorced

so adding his parents 5/8 of his parents and their siblings have experienced a failed marriage - father, mother, two uncles and an aunt and one uncle has two failed marriages.

He also has his mother's parents with a failed marriage and his grandfather's parents' marriage also failing - so of the 16 marriages going back a couple of generations 8 have ended in failure - not a good record at all. (Compared to my family going back as far I have 1/18 failed marriages. Of course my family don't have the pressures of being royal but I wanted to put in the statistics for all to see)
Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Statistics are always fun to watch, but William has his own life. Why remaining single all his life because of the family statistics?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Statistics are always fun to watch, but William has his own life. Why remaining single all his life because of the family statistics?
Exactly. William is completely different to his aunts, uncles, and I think he has learnt from his father. William isn't married, because he obviously doesn't want to be.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I really don´t think that William is going to marry Kate, I believe he will marry someone who his family find more suitable at a later date, as a man he has much more time for this. I believe that Kate knows this and has come to the conclusion she is agreeable to this situation as are her parents.
As far as the argument that Felipe only married in his mid 30´s, he wanted to get married several times before he met and demanded to marry Letizia but the young ladies in question, rightly or wrongly were not deemed appropriate and he gave up.
First, I hope you are right. I'd rather that he wait and, I would be thrilled if he would not marry Kate. But I don't say this because there is something wrong with Kate. I don't see anything unsuitable about her. She seems perfectly good enough to marry into the royal family -- as good as any of the other royal brides of recent times. I just dislike the idea of him marrying her, and soon. I would like to see him wait until a time in his 30s.

Maybe he won't marry at all. I have a hunch, though, that he will eventually find someone and find a time at which he is ready to be married. It is only a question of time. I think it will happen, and think also, and hope, it won't be soon.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Majesty

I would agree with your sentiments there. If William had fallen madly in love I think we would know it. Parallel his dating Kate with CP Victoria and Daniel, there just seems to be a total lack of chemistry. Admittedly Victoria and Daniel did not have parental permission until last year but there seems to be a lack of any charisma or whatever between William and Kate and, to be honest, they could both do with practicing their smiles in front of a mirror.

All in all the couple come accross as worthy, staid and quite frankly, boring. Love is none of these things.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

And let's not forget William and Kate are kids of their era.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I don't think that William will base his choice of a bride either on the track records of his relatives or who the rest of the family finds the most suitable for him. I think right now both William and Kate are very comfortable and secure in their relationship with each other. I think too that one reason we don't see them being overly demonstrative in public or in pictures is that they've learned at Will's grandmother's knee that when one is in the public eye, one acts discreet and with decorum fitting a royal.

So much mention of the influence of William's parent's divorce being a reason to put off marriage (along with his other relatives) but we have to remember too he's witnessed successful and loving unions such as his father with Camilla and his beloved granny and Prince Phillip. I've read often times of how close he is with the Queen and I think that influence is a major factor in how William thinks and makes decisions.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Courtier

^^
Maybe this is a bit off topic but I thought that Q. E II and PP didn't have such a happy marriage?

On the other hand I agree with Marg there is no chemistry between the two and I doubt that they are going to announce an engagement soon. If they are dating when they are in their thirties maybe, but now it's too soon imo.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Gentry

Oh no, Meliba. I think Elizabeth II and PP have a very happy marriage. Look trough pic´s over the last 61 years you see often see a big smile between the two.
Sorry my bad english!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melibea View Post
^^
Maybe this is a bit off topic but I thought that Q. E II and PP didn't have such a happy marriage?
To be honest, I've really not read or heard a lot of surmising on how happy their marriage is/was over the years but they are still together. I imagine that as with most couples that have remained together for a long period of time, they've have their up and down periods and a few "I love you but I don't like you much right now" days as anyone else would have.

The point of bringing up their marriage that has spanned decades was to show that their private relationship was just that and kept behind closed doors. This is what has been passed down to William in his relationship with Kate.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Shouldn't that be don't? They are still in the marraige.
I have heard that had ups and downs early on because of Phillips wild ways, but after Malta I think they were fine.

Just because the pictures show smiles, does not mean they are always happy.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Courtier

But imo we cannot have as an example the marriages of the last generation of king&queens as most of them kept married because of duty. That they are still married doesn't mean that they have a loving relationship but that they cannot get a divorce.

Imo when he marries it will be for forever, no divorce at all. So he will have to marry someone who knows the score not someone like Diana.

Closed Thread