The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Ladies, I'd like to remind you that 2000 American Dollars and 2000 pounds British sterling are VASTLY different sums of money.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
How is she not like us? She's not a royal, she's not a celebrity in that she's not a musician, actor, athlete or artist and she's not an heiress. She is quite literally the girl next door, who just so happens to be dating a Prince. That's the only thing that makes her different from you and I.
Well she is an heiress if you consider her parent's fortune. It amuses me how people kid themselves that these girls are just like us. Come on, how many of us attended schools with fees exceeding $20 000 and just happen to date princes?
http://www.marlboroughcollege.org/col_fees.aspx
Kate attended Malborough College according to Wikipedia.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Ladies, I'd like to remind you that 2000 American Dollars and 2000 pounds British sterling are VASTLY different sums of money.

I'm aware of that. £2000 is roughly $3,071. $2,000 is roughly £1,300.

That said, if you're not rich (which Kate isn't), £2000 or $2000 is a lot to spend on just one thing. It would be different if she spent that much on an entire outfit (dress, shoes, accessories, handbag) combined, because you're getting more bang for your buck that way. But just that much on one dress? That's a lot of money.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Well she is an heiress if you consider her parent's fortune. It amuses me how people kid themselves that these girls are just like us. Come on, how many of us attended schools with fees exceeding $20 000 and just happen to date princes?

When I said "heiress", I was talking more along the lines of inheriting money like Paris Hilton will. SHE is an heiress. We're all going to get something from our parents when they die, whether it's the house they were living in or some money or other possessions, so technically everyone is an heir of some sort. I'm meant someone who stands to inherit a massive sum of money, and I don't think the Middletons are that well-off.

If you add up all the tuition my parents paid to send me to private school, and that includes grammar and high school, it's close to $40,000. The public schools where I'm from (Chicago) are horrible, so they bit the bullet and sent my sister and I to private school. Well worth the money, I'd say.

I guess I just don't view Kate the way it seems everyone else does.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Courtier

I don't think is too much for her, her parents are rich, no?
And that dress looks cheap, if you want to compare go to net-a-porter.com and you can see more sophisticated dresses for the same price.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Nobility

Exceeding $20 000 per year!

http://www.marlboroughcollege.org/col_fees.aspx
Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

That should matter? So her parents could afford to give her a quality education.....that's a good thing! She shouldn't be penalized for that. I'm certainly not going to think she's better than me because she went to an expensive school and I (comparatively) didn't.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Courtier

Sister Morphine, my parents did the same for what I'm very thankful, and we are not rich either; but I think that this is not the case with Kate. The kind of lifestyle she has is for someone that has money! If her parents are not so well off she would have tried to have a career but this this has not happened.

She is not better than anyone, but this means that her parents have money so 2000 dollar or whathever is not expensive for her.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

She's richer than I am, that much is true. She certainly has had more advantages because of that, but (and I'm guessing here) her relationship with William has probably made that very hard. For other royals, they could go about dating and having jobs and it wasn't a big deal. I didn't hear much about people harassing Mary before her and Frederik got married, or Maxima before her and Willem-Alexander got married....it's different in England, apparently. I'm sure if she could hold down a steady job and date William at the same time without the paparazzi making a mess of the whole thing, she would.

However, look at it from an employer's standpoint. Would you hire someone who every time they came to work, would have loads of photographers stalking around the building, taking pictures, bothering other people? I wouldn't. That's a nuisance. The British press/paparazzi are clearly different than those in other countries.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Her parents have money. She doesn't. If that was £2,000 that came from her own checking account, with no connection to her parents, that's a lot of money, especially for someone who is currently unemployed.

If she got that money from her parents, that's a different story. However we don't know who paid for that dress; Kate, her parents or William. I don't think William would pay for it, and she's my age so I don't think her parents paid for it either. So that would leave Kate having to pay for it on her own, so yeah.....if you have no job, any amount of money is too much.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Courtier

IMO I think that she didn't want a career not before dating William and not after. If she did want a career there are a lot of options, I think that dating a prince doesn't mean that you cannot work.

I think that her parents pay for everything, except holidays with P.W that I suppose that they are paid by him. You can't compare your lifestyle with the rich, the dress most probably was paid by her parents. How could she then pay 2000€ for a simple dress? she is not unemployed but the kind of job she has doesn't pay so much.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't say that dating a prince meant you can't work. I even provided two examples of current princesses who worked while dating their future husbands. However the Danish and Dutch press presumably, are quite different than the British press.

What I said was, considering how utterly ridiculous the paparazzi are concerning Kate, any place she DID work, would turn into a circus and employers would be turned off by that. I wouldn't hire someone that would bring that kind of atmosphere to my job, regardless of how qualified they may be to hold it.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Courtier

Chelsy worked and she didn't have so many problems. If she had started working from the beginning and her career was something nomal, the press would have got bored by now. The problem is that her career or lack of has become a joke.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Courtier

I think what did turn her prospective employer off at least once was her insisting on having time off whenever she wanted to go off with Prince William. I am also a little puzzled at what she is qualified to do. So far she has been said to have taken some photographs for the internet, surely she didn´t study that at University.
I hope she does pay her own way , but I think her parents are perfectly happy to bankroll her as their ambitions for her seem to be very high. If William paid for anything then that would make her seem a kept woman, and that would not be good, and surely her parents wouldn´t be very happy at that.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Nobility

Kate's stuck between a rock and a hard place and people are too hard on her to get a job given her circumstances. Practically all her adult life she's been persued by the press, with little privacy and she needs protection. It's not been as intense with Chelsy. I also don't know how much work Kate did at Party Pieces but if it wasn't much and she's close to 30 then how could she compete at job interviews anyway? When you're up against 100 applicants and have gulfs of white on your resume, even a good education is not going to win you the job. What's more, press would be parked outside her workplace and jamming the phone lines with nuisance calls 24/7. How are your clients supposed to get through to the switch when it's constantly tied up with reporters from around the world wanting just a word? What boss would endure this for themselves and other staff caught in the crossfire of snapshots?
I digress. It looks like Kate's unofficial career is as a "companion" and has been for some time.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Being simple is a good thing. Overly complicated, fussy, high-maintenance individuals are more trouble than they're worth. Trust me, my sister is one.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Courtier

Royalsmartie, Kate is not my cup of tea, but she dresses very well, at least imo, for formal events. Have you seen any photos?

In general, I don't like her style at all, but in formal events she looks usually very princess like. I can't comment on Chelsy as I haven't seen any photo of her in a formal event.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsmartie View Post
And as far as kate using William he is her bf right so he should buy her stuff.Just add a stylish and Elllie and your be fab kate!
How do you know that gown is not a designer one?
Might not be Elie Saab but it certainly isn't from the "mall" as you say.
Kate is like us in the way that she isn't royalty, not yet. Yes she is priveliged, her parents have money and she is dating a Prince.
Just because she is, in some peoples opinion, the one doesn't make her not one of us.
People on here haven't been on telly, haven't been in Hello, haven't dated a prince, but whats your point in that?
William might be her boyfriend but he doesn't have to buy her Elie Saab gowns worth £40-50,000, thats asking for too much.

Quote:
lf the kate is like me why am I bothering to talk about her when I can talk about ME just saying
Well if you don't want to talk about her don't.
She won't and never will be your Princess unless you move to the UK or any part of the commonwealth.
Yes some of us are pro kate, some of us aren't, you are quite clearly one of them.
Some people/ companies are put of by the fact that Kate is dating a royal, it might come with some perks but more downs than perks, in my mind. ]

If Kate was a gold-digger, a clingyer on, and using Wills to advance her career then that would do her no good.
She doesn't flaunt her money, so she went to a good school, I did. She isn't constantly around William, she is there for him when it is important and on important days. She works for her parents company and I doubt she got that job thanks to William.
Kate's a pretty good partner, in my mind.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I predict that we'll start seeing high-end designer stuff once there's an engagement announcement--at least in public.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Kate is tooo country for me and I just want to see her in something other then brown and feathery and hunting wear. designer wear is that too much to ask for rrrrr! I want a personality ! not something unknown
And that right there is one good reason I think she'll fit very well into the Balmoral summers. I think the Queen is at her happiest when she's in Scotland in walking gear and her beautiful scarves. Personally I like Kate's taste in clothes and she wears them very well.