The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
...you could explain to me about the Duchy of Cornwall and its monies? A complete mystery to some of us, but perhaps you could elucidate.
There is little to elucidate as regards the Duchy. See weblink below.

The Duchy estate was created in 1337 by Edward III for his son and heir, Prince Edward (later known as The Black Prince) who became the first Duke of Cornwall. The Duchy’s primary function is to provide an income from its assets for The Prince of Wales.

For many centuries it was traditional for families with landed estates to settle the land and other assets in trust, so that each generation could live off the income but were unable to dispose of the assets. This was done to ensure that the estate, and the income which it provided, survived from generation to generation. The same principle was applied to the Duchy of Cornwall.

Under the 1337 charter, and as confirmed by subsequent legislation, The Prince of Wales is not entitled to the proceeds or profit on the sale of assets, and only receives the annual income which they generate, which is voluntarily subject to income tax. Because of the importance of the beneficiary, the Duchy’s ‘trust provisions’ have, over the years, been set out in legislation, with the financial security of the Duchy overseen by HM Treasury.

The Duke chooses to use a large proportion of the income from the Duchy to meet the cost of his public and charitable work. The Duchy also funds the public, charitable and private activities of The Duchess of Cornwall and Princes William and Harry.

Duchy of Cornwall - About the Duchy - The Official Website for the Duchy of Cornwall

Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post

I do think that the media needs to be controlled more with regard to what it reports and how it reports it. I'm all for freedom of speech, but not freedom for making up loads of nonsense just to sell a few more copies to the weary public!
I think this is a very real issue, though I am not sure what the obvious solution is. This is especially relevant with regard to internet blogging and web based media whicch tend not to bt bound by the PCC and such other bodies.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
There are no facts in this post only personal prejudices! Of course one can deny that she does 'nothing' do you personally follow her around each day to see what she does? Do you work for Party Planners and can categorically state Kate does 'nothing', if not then the commentary is just ignorant prejudice. Party Planners is a private company, the press cannot enter the company so exactly how can they report what she does. Kate and her family are private citizens covered by privacy law, she's even taken out court action to maintain that privacy, why do you feel you are entitled or anyone else is entitled to invade the privacy of an individual?
I could not agree more.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Jacknch;1068021]Can anyone remember what Kate studied at university - so as to give a clue as to what career would be best suited to her? It seems pointless to go to university only to end up working for the family business!

Art History.....????????? Wow, was that it?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Gentry

Royalsmartie. Kate isn´t royal. She is only Williams girlfriend. But boring, yes.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
There are no facts in this post only personal prejudices!...
I NEVER said I was entitled to reading about her activities, I just commented on the LACK of work news about her. We can comment on the LACK of news, without ASKING for that particular news.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Courtier

My only hope is that Prince William won´t feel obligated to enter into what could be (or perhaps not be) an unsuitable marriage just to satisfy a gaggle of excited people who just want to ooh and aah at a royal wedding on the TV or passing in the street and fill the forum with details of her dress and shoes.

I found this interesting article about the Duchy of Cornwall if anyone is interested.

http://www.cornishworldmagazine.co.u...o_pdf=1&id=138
Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
I NEVER said I was entitled to reading about her activities...
I am not sure Charlotte is confirming that Kate is working 100 hour weeks at Party Planners or anything at all about Kate's activities.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know Kate, of course. Mostly only what I read here. But as for boring. I think that is a little strong of a word to use. She hasn't given any interviews so we can't see her "wit" and/or "charm". She does smile when she is with the Prince, so I would say they enjoy each other. (I think it is a pretty smile.) I hope it is love. I like happy endings. No matter how she is now, she will grow into her public role. Will have better choices and advice on a whole lot of areas of her life (that she doesn't have now). Fashion will not be the only one I am sure. I think she has a better idea of what is going to happen then either Diana or Sarah did, and if she is smart at all she will learn from those experiences. All of this is my opinion, of course. But we don't know the "real" Kate, and I suppose Prince William does, and I guess so far he likes what he sees/knows. But again I like happy endings.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There are no facts in this post only personal prejudices!
Well, let's see what facts we have regarding miss Middleton.

She graduated from one of the most prestigious universities of England.
After months of idling (as documented almost daily with pictures of her shopping around and partying in London) she gained employment at Jigsaw as an accessory buyer. Her employer went on record to say that Kate requested a job that would only be 3 or 4 days a week so that she could have free time to I quote "pursue her relationship with a high-profile man". A few months into her employment the aforementioned relationship broke down and Kate asked, and was granted, a compassionate leave (!). And what did she do during that leave? She partied at high-profile nightclubs, went to social events (again, all this is documented with pictures of her smiling brightly for the paps), went on holidays at Ibiza and god knows where else, etc. She also trained for charity rowing challenge, which she quit before it took part, but not before she had an opportunity to pose for Hello magazine.
After she left that job after less than a year and went on to work for her parents (when did that start is unclear). The only thing we know for sure she has done at PP is setting up a new section of their website because she was given credit for it on their website.

Those are the facts.

Now, my interpretation of these facts is that they paint the picture of a woman with no work-ethic whatsoever, more interested in having a good-time and being available for her boyfriend than building a career and standing on her own two feet.
Considering the modest size of PP, none of the jobs she does or is rumored to do for them (photographing products and setting-up a web-page) can be considered anything more than part-time occupation, assignments to keep her somehow 'busy'. Certainly not a career or a full-time job.
Now, it may be that she has been doing impressive work behind the scenes but considering we are informed of the slightest career moves of her sister and her brother in particular, and also considering how media-friendly the family has proven to be when it comes to promote their business (their latest stunt of invading their own privacy on their website being an illustration of that) the idea that Kate's many achievements are kept under wrap like a state secret seems utterly preposterous to me.
Imo, we don't hear much about what she does because there isn't much to be said, period.

Now, you are free to disagree wholly with this interpretation (and I know you will). But saying that we have no facts is simply untrue and calling those who disagree with your views 'fools' is plain rude.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Kate is the star of the family she is very close to nabbing the most eligible bachelor in the world and they are not going to let her break her nails working hard you can be fairly sure of that.
Well that's too bad, it worked for Cinderella and Snow White. Of course Kate doesn't have to share her house with 7 smelly little men.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Aristocracy

conny if she going to be a princess she better start being unboring cause I personally don't have to pay for the brf but many say after the queen and maybe charles the brf is done so might want to put on a show
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good post Idriel.

I don't see Kate as Queen material either.
It doesn't matter what she does (working, charity) at this point as it would seem rather contrived anyway. She should have done those things properly and established herself earlier in the relationship.

I'm still holding out hope that William will find someone new and better. How exciting that would be if he showed up somewhere with a new girl on his arm!! *woot*
Then we wouldn't have to talk about Waity Katey anymore!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, we don't know for sure what she's going to be like if she marries William. She could completely change that work-ethic.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Nobility

We assume we don't know Kate, but the truth is she continues to be an empress in waiting. Within this forum I've come close to the every details concerning the happenings of our Royals' life depicted here by reportings of news' sources, events and commentary. I don't post much but read avidly as I get enthused about people who are or can be figures of answers to countrymen's harbors.

Reading about Kate and William here lately I must say I got a jolt. And I imagine in one way or another so did the British Royals. Word spread that a wedding might be announced and I really smiled even though there may be little if no truth to this. I actually got a taste of the spectacle that may ensue given this plays out. Regardless of it being a lie I was really awestruck and happy for a while.

I like all this romp and pomp, but I get the feeling that many people might not understand that Kate has been a Princess in waiting for so long. That being said, anywhere she goes and anything she does is open to critique as a public figure that theoretically she is. Although she has chosen to remain reclusive in some aspect she may well be preparing to one day be regent and an actual authentic Royal. That to us in our World is a mystery but even if she chooses no full time employment or commits herself to some tangible work ethic she may well be pressured by fate and circumstance to fill the Royal blue blood moto by simply being Kate the romantic to Britain's Crown Prince. Those shoes must be hard to fill both of Will and Kate. So as far as I'm concerned she can do no wrong shall we say. But who knows?

Anyway, as far as we're comparing her to Disney characters I think the one woman Kate reminds me of is Wonder Woman. They both fly in jets and wear beautiful crowns and arm pieces. And you know she really lassos the guy. Just kidding. hehe
Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Majesty

I don't understand why there's the assumption that Kate doesn't work full-time for Party Pieces. If she ever makes an appearance--for example, on the website--suggesting that she DOES work there, she gets torn to shreds. This thread has become so negative that it's become an uncomfortable place for those who prefer to give Kate the benefit of the doubt.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Royalty View Post

Anyway, as far as we're comparing her to Disney characters I think the one woman Kate reminds me of is Wonder Woman.
That's NOT a Disney Character Madame!
Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Courtier

It must have been those skimpy little hotpants got Penny R mixed up. LOL:
Old 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
I don't see Kate as Queen material either.
Well, frankly, I used to think so but I don't know anymore.
When I think about what happened with Camilla I think I've just been fooling myself and upholding the BRF to outdated standards that bear little resemblance to reality.

Camilla's own curriculum vitae (a blank sheet with her contact details at the top) makes Kate look like a workaholic (to her defence, Camilla was a woman from another time), and she came in with the worst PR imaginable.
Yet, five years on she is, it seems to me, an accepted and even respected member of the BRF.
If Camilla can fit in both with the BRF and the British public with no particular problem, there is no reason why Kate, who is better educated, has more experience of the real world and despite the ongoing criticism about her lack of direction has much (much) better PR, can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
This thread has become so negative that it's become an uncomfortable place for those who prefer to give Kate the benefit of the doubt.
This is but a momentary flux. This thread is actually positive towards Kate, but like often happens in Internet forums, when a negative message is posted, other negative messages are posted in quick succession.
I see it all the time, and it won't last.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It must have been those skimpy little hotpants got Penny R mixed up. LOL:
Those darned hot pants'll getcha everytime!

Anybody know how many languages Kate speaks? Just curious.