William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say for argument's sake William proposes to Kate, she accepts and a wedding date is planned. So now we're up to the big day, everyone is chattering away about what the dress will look like, what the veil will look like, who her attendants will be....that sort of thing.

Will she wear the Spencer Tiara or will the Queen loan her one to wear that is from the Crown Jewels? The reason I ask is because if Diana were alive, I'd like to think she'd want the bride of her eldest son to wear the tiara she wore for her wedding. Or is it something that both William and Harry have no access to and therefore wouldn't have available for their prospective brides? My apologies if this isn't in the right section, I just figured since it's speculation/musing, it would fit here.

It's possible that she would, I think the Spencer Tiara went back to the family but Harry and William would be allowed to use it.
Somehow I think that Kate wouldn't want to wear the tiara, because it's something that belonged to Diana.
Kate has been so many times compared to Diana, at her wedding, the day she becomes a royal, i'd think she'd want to distance herself from that tiara.
The Queen would lend her one or have one created for her, as the future Queen. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember hear that after the death of Earl Spencer (Diana'father), Charles (Diana'brother) asked the tiara back. Seems the tiara that Diana wore was part of the of Earl Spencer Estate to his son Charles.

I doubt that she would wear the Spencer tiara on her wedding day because she isn't a Spencer.

As her family probably don't have one she might very well do something like Sarah and wear something totally unroyal e.g. the flowers that Sarah wore, until actually married and then something royal after she marries. The symbolism is quite powerful - non-royal to royal.

Of course her parents could commission a tiara to be made to be their family tiara but that would really be ostentatious and very much a sign of 'noveau riche' and social climbing.

Sarah actually had the tiara on, the flowers were merely obscuring it. While they were signing the register, the front veil was removed, as were the flowers to reveal the tiara underneath.

And I know that Kate is not a Spencer, but William is. So she'd be a Spencer-in-law. I was just thinking out loud of course but I thought that if it should so happen that they get married, something like that would be a nice homage to his mother.

I doubt that she would wear the Spencer tiara on her wedding day because she isn't a Spencer.

As her family probably don't have one she might very well do something like Sarah and wear something totally unroyal e.g. the flowers that Sarah wore, until actually married and then something royal after she marries. The symbolism is quite powerful - non-royal to royal.

I like this Idea very much .... and after I would like to see her in a tiara that has not been worn in some time something from the vault ....maybe something that was Queen Mary’s like the Honeysuckle Diamond Tiara

A little bit of historyhttp://www.royalexhibitions.co.uk/Queens-Jewels/queens-tiaras.html

Last edited:
Assuming it happens, it will be Kate's wedding and I would think she would want to wear something distinctively hers or associated with her own family, not the family of the deceased mother of her fiance, especially as Diana died before she and William met. It might be different if she had known Diana and Diana had suggested she wear her tiara.

Very true.
I think she would want to avoid any comparisons with Diana and therefore wearing the tiara would be an obvious one to avoid as would getting married at St Pauls.

Not to mention that Earl Spencer would be rearing his ugly head and after that scathing eulogy he gave at Diana's funeral I would think that the BRF would want to stay as far away from anything he has as much as possible.

I believe you hit the nail right on the head, Russo.:) I certainly agree with you.. lol

I think it would be fine for her to wear the Spencer tiara. William loved his mother. It would be nice to have a some remembrance of her at the wedding.

Diana was a Spencer. Kate isn't a Spencer. It would be inappropriate for Kate to wear the Spencer tiara on her wedding day. Something else maybe but not the Spencer tiara. That should only be worn by Spencer girls/women. Kate will never be a Spencer as she wasn't born one nor will she be marrying one as she will be marrying, presumably, a Windsor.

William is a Spencer as much as he is a Windsor.

Since we're musing, I'd like to see Kate wear the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara. It's beautiful, feminine, and Kate is a girl of Great Britain. You don't suppose the Queen would gift it to Kate as it was a wedding gift to her by Queen Mary? That would really be telling because I've read that it's one of her favorites.

William is a Spencer as much as he is a Windsor.

Our family identity comes from our father's side not our mother's so he is a Windsor and that is where he gets his titles, honours and wealth not from his mother's side.

The Spencer tiara is for Spencer women - those born Spencer so Diana and her sisters and the current Earl's daughters but not the children of Diana or her sisters.

Our family identity comes from our father's side not our mother's so he is a Windsor and that is where he gets his titles, honours and wealth not from his mother's side.

Our family identity comes from both our parents. You are not of one parent, you are of two parents. Yes you carry your father's last name (if your parents are married), but you are still comprised of two people, two families, two ideas, two worlds.

His royal identity comes from his father's side, and that's where he gets his titles, honors and wealth from. However, he's half-Spencer and half-Windsor (or Mountbatten-Windsor). Diana still contributed to his genetic makeup, the same as Charles did. In fact, he looks exactly like her. To say that he's not part of the Spencer family is wrong, IMO.

I can understand where those who say Kate should not wear the Spencer tiara are coming from and I can understand where those who say it would be nice if she did are coming from. On one hand I think it'd be a tremendous honor to that part of his family, and on the other I'd like to see some new tiara be pulled from the vaults for the occasion.

The Spencer tiara has been used far too much after Diana, as the Earl is on his what 3rd wife??? Plus I have to agree Kate has no business wearing that tiara as she might be marring a Windsor ...by name. and a Spencer by blood as well I feel ..if she has to wear some token of Diana maybe a piece of jewlery or a pin for the wedding day ...I still say they should open vault and pick something that has not been seen on at least this Queen or the Queen mother

http://www.royalexhibitions.co.uk/images/The%20Queen%27s%20Tiaras/76008-Queen-Mary%27s-honeysuckle-diamond-tiara.jpg

Honeysuckle tiara owned by Queen Mary..... sorry my first pic did not show up....

Has Kate atteneded any official royal dinners?

She has no reason to, she's not engaged to William at the present time. She was at his investiture as a Knight of the Garter, which I think was a pretty big deal, but aside from that.....no.

IF they get engaged at some point, then we'd start seeing her with William on official royal functions and she'd accompany him overseas if he has to go to any weddings/funerals/baptisms and the like.

I know this is a little off track.. but didnt princess Mary attend royal events before marriage?

I know this is a little off track.. but didnt princess Mary attend royal events before marriage?

CPss Mary of Denmark? No, I don't believe she did. The first royal function of any kind we saw her at, was the engagement dinner at Christiansborg Palace. Before then, I believe Frederik attended royal functions alone or with his mother.

I like the Honeysuckle tiara more than the Girls of Great Britain tiara! As for the wearing the Spencer tiara, I think the last thing Kate wants on her big day are comparisons to Diana and I'm sure Diana wouldn't want that for her either. Maybe HM will have a special tiara made for Kate if not hopefully she'll be generous of what Kate can have from the vault.

If I were a person who believed in "luck", I'd say that there's an awful lot of BAD luck attached to the Spencer tiara. Better for William's bride to wear something from HM's vaults, I believe.:ermm:

I agree it dose look large in this pic but when you see it on Queen Mary's head or the Duchess of Gloucesers it does not look as large if not at the wedding, I would have liked to see it on her at some point although, I doubt it as it was givin to Alice, Duchess of Gloucester by Queen Mary..

http://www.angelfire.com/de3/verenasroyaltiaras/AliceGlo.html

or something like The Fife Tiara...mind you that I don't know whom has these Tiaras just that these are ones I like and could think of seeing on Kate....There was a smaller one I have seen but I can't find it now it was more like a headband very meek looking does anyone know of it ...Ive found it (ihre Tiara) with out the spikes on top...

When she was eighteen Princess Margaret borrowed a tiara from her grandmother Queen Mary. This diamond bandeau had lozenge-shaped motifs and was originally surmounted by 13 large oval oriental pearls set on spikes. By 1946, however, Queen Mary have removed the pearls. In September 1948, the eighteen-year-old Princess wore it when on one of her first offical engagements she represented King George VI at the Inauguration of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands in Amsterdam, the Dutch equivalent of a coronation". Perfect for a new princess ...Meek with History behind it....
http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen-mary-tiara.htm

That looks too much for kate...just stating the size of her head....and personal I think she shouldn't wear a tiara into after the wedding it would diffrent or if she doesn't maybe something smaller :whistling:

Kate does have a large head, I think that is why she wears her hair the way she does, but perhaps she won´t need a tiara at all. :whistling:
Princess Margaret was tiny but the huge tiara she wore for her wedding looked gorgeous.
Camilla can wear a large tiara, we have seen that.
Anyway it is a case of "Much to do about nothing" and a ring has to go on a certain finger first. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom