The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

I think the major difference between Edward VIII's mistresses and Kate is that these women knew they would never become queen, or even marry the man, and none of them did,except for wallis and she never became a HRH. They came into the relationship knowing that it was to entertain and sleep with the royal man. Kate on the other hand has always had the hope of becoming his respectable on day, better sooner than later William!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Commoner

Thank you Opal for clarifying that for me. Sorry that is what I meant to say.
For William and Kate it is six years at the end of 2009, not 8 years.

I did not suggest in my post that Kate was a mistress, I don't know where that came from.

What she is in face is a long term companion, at least so far.

Although judging by the very long article in the Sunday Telegraph an interview was was given apparently given setting out Prince William's plans for the next 3/4 years. Which means 2013. This involves very serious training for SAR and "he will have to keep his head down for this type of training."

ZONK your comments about Edward, Freda, Thelma reminded me of a little story. Thelma duly boarded the liner to New York. On board she met Prince Ali Khan. Their flirtation duly got back to Edward and there to comfort him was.....Wallis. How the fates move!! Sorry to be off-topic but I just remembered that little story.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taree View Post
I did not suggest in my post that Kate was a mistress, I don't know where that came from.
That came from a comment Wisteria made.
They met in 2001, and there have been many rumours that they have been dating since then.
It was official in 2005.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
They said this last year. Yawn. These rumors are getting old.

They have been saying it since at least 2005 so it is really getting old.

The reason I say 2005 is that when I woke on the morning that Charles and Camilla announced their engagement the news tracker on the TV News simply said 'Royal Engagement' and I assumed, based on the media speculation, that the report meant William and Kate and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was Charles and Camilla.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Commoner

Thank you Lumutqueen, and for clarifying the dates for me. So they've been official four years.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taree View Post
Thank you Lumutqueen, and for clarifying the dates for me. So they've been official four years.
Well official in the sense that the press found her.
A statement has never been released to say they are dating.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Well official in the sense that the press found her.
A statement has never been released to say they are dating.

I think it would be a bit silly for someone to issue a statement saying " Myself and ---- are currently in a relationship". Royals still have private lives as well.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Heir Apparent

They do? But you are correct in saying that William should have issued a statement. That is ludicrous, and silly imho.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

^ Well they have the rights to privacy but since he is William, grandson of the queen and 2nd in line to the British throne, he doesn't get as much.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
They met in 2001, and there have been many rumours that they have been dating since then.
It was official in 2005.
I wonder how we should be referring to Kate -

- getting too old to be 'girlfriend'

- what about 'significant other'

- OR 'better half'

- 'companion' isn't the correct term either

Suggestions anyone?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate Middleton, Lady In Perpetual Waiting, Comes To New York

is she really moving to NY or is this another recycled article that's been touched up?

I think she should be "companion"
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't imagine Kate moving to New York if she can still see William now and then or perhaps most weekends.

'Long-term girlfriend' sounds like a good description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I think she should be "companion"
Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It was official in 2005.
Please don´t put words into my post that weren´t there. I explained we were talking about long term relationships.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Please don´t put words into my post that weren´t there. I explained we were talking about long term relationships.
It was meant to mean that the discussion about mistresses came from a comment made by you, with the introduction of Freda Dudley Ward.

Long-term girlfriend seems appropriate.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Courtier

Pax. Long-term girlfriend.

In the photos we see she always looks quite happy in whatever position she is, or perhaps she is just happy to be with William. Let us hope it works out satisfactorily for her. IMO William will be able to do anything and he will still be heir to the heir and if there is any criticism it will be muttered not shouted.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Following the anouncement over the weekend of William not wanting to be shadow King and wanting to pursue a career in the SAR in the medium term, I think the whole issue of his potential wedding to Kate comes alive again. IMO, the wedding will be in 2010 or 2011, and William will continue to graduallyincrease his public profile without actively taking up royal duties full time. Kate will probably have a "soft launch" following the wredding, supporting a few chosen causes and supporting HM, the DoE and Camilla in their engagements.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Following the anouncement over the weekend of William not wanting to be shadow King and wanting to pursue a career in the SAR in the medium term, I think the whole issue of his potential wedding to Kate comes alive again. IMO, the wedding will be in 2010 or 2011, and William will continue to graduallyincrease his public profile without actively taking up royal duties full time. Kate will probably have a "soft launch" following the wredding, supporting a few chosen causes and supporting HM, the DoE and Camilla in their engagements.
Thats sounds about right actually ! If it wasn't for the election, I think it all would happen this year, and I think without doubt the engagement rumour will be in absolute overdrive by Christmas this year. A summer 2011 wedding seems an absolute spot on time to do the deed. It will be election and politics this summer, wedding 2011, and jubilee and olympics in 2012... seems the correct way to spread out three very eventful occasions properly.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
I wonder how we should be referring to Kate -

- getting too old to be 'girlfriend'

- what about 'significant other'

- OR 'better half'

- 'companion' is the correct term either

Suggestions anyone?
She can be called a long-time girlfriend and they are in a long-term relationship. I don't see how a person can be considered too old to be a girlfriend. She is neither a fiance, wife or mistress.

Also, I wanted to state what I feel about the situation with William and Kate. I get the feeling that he is not ready for marriage, maybe he feels he's not prepared enough emotionally. He might consciously or subconsciously have issues about how his parent's marriage disintegrated. I don't feel that election, golden jubilee, Olympics are necessarily the only reason, they might be part of it in terms of logistics of the wedding, but I feel there is a deeper issue here. Because if the wedding is being held back just because of the events etc, another event might spring up in 2013 or 2014, and if they kept going at that rate, I don't when they'll get married.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

In my opinion I don't think they willl marry, or I don't think they will marry for quite a long time.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel he should change somethings in his relationship with Kate. Move it forward i.e. take it to the next logical step which is marriage, if not marriage then at least a higher level of commitment i.e. a live-in relationship (but I don't know if that's good for the image) or just let each other go. I don't think their relationship should stay on the same level for too long, it sours the relationship when there is no growth. Kate, who I feel has more to lose, might start having doubts about where the relationship is headed. But, because she has given so many years to the relationship, might feel its best to stay in it.