The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Courtier

Well, William, how about an engagement announcement for granny's return from New York, 7th July - would be lovely. Or before she leaves 28 th June, give everyone at the receptions and dinners something new to talk about.

Wedding date can be when your training is finished towards the end of the year. I don't mean to be mean, but it would be nice while you've still got some hair for the photos. I know looks aren't everything, but they are going to rehash those photos for ever after.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Gentry

I think you are right !! Whatever about announcing or planning a date around elections, olympics, jubilees or army training, I think a far more urgent basis would be FOLLICLE WATCH !!! We dont want him photoshopping the wedding pics with a hair piece in place. Someone should say to him.........."two words.... Uncle Edward" and I bet the confetti would be flying by August !!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Williams traning won't official finish till 2014, if he gets engaged now, thats a 4 year engagement, with lengthy times apart.
It's clear that they don't want to get married and are satisfied with the arrangement they have.
With the election this year, Prince Phillips 90th next year, the olympics and diamond jubliee in 2012 i don't see anything happening until 2013. Unless they really want to surprise us.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Gentry

I don't see why he can't get married now. He is not the only man to get married during the rise through the ranks. The Duke of York did an around the world trip with the Navy after he married.

He's no different from other men in the services and I imagine with an ageing Queen the Royal Family might well be pleased to have a woking Princess William
Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Williams traning won't official finish till 2014, if he gets engaged now, thats a 4 year engagement, with lengthy times apart.
It's clear that they don't want to get married and are satisfied with the arrangement they have.
With the election this year, Prince Phillips 90th next year, the olympics and diamond jubliee in 2012 i don't see anything happening until 2013. Unless they really want to surprise us.
Well... with EVERY obstacle being looked at, the last thing you want is to plan a major wedding and find a major funeral getting in the way... and lets face it, it has to be thought of !. I would imagine William would want both his grandparents at his big day, and that being the case ... it would make sense to do it sooner rather than later.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

He can marry now if he likes, it just doesn't seem like he's going to.
Yeah he probably does want to have both his grandparents there, but if William doesn't want to marry and his grandfather passes away it can't be helped.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Commoner

As someone pointed out, we-the general public-do not know what is going on between them or what they are really like in private. I am kind of in the middle (no pun intended) about Kate. One part says she must really care about him quite a bit to have waited so long and the other side says she may be a fool for having waited so long without any real promise from Prince William (that we are aware of). But it does seem like there are quite a few of his relatives or friends that are near his age and have either at least got engaged or married someone. Aside from his brother, who else his age and status has yet to get married? I don't think there is too many on that list. His cousin Peter is married and I think Zara is probably next on the list to marry. But if he is unsure of Kate after all this time, maybe he does need to end things. If that makes him a jerk in some people's eyes, so be it. Kate is his age and should be capable of making a decision on her own and live with the consequences of that decision.
This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming on sea and continents and island, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls. -John Muir
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
...The Duke of York did an around the world trip with the Navy after he married.
Mentioning the Duke of York may actually be a very good reason for him not marrying while in the service.

Sarah, and I suppose Andrew, do say that the long separations contributed to the breakdown in the marriage, particularly as Sarah was expected to carry on a load of royal duties along while Andrew was at sea.

This may very well be a reason why William isn't prepared to marry while in the service - so that he doesn't have Kate having to cope on her own while he is away for any length of time.

Others can marry certainly but they aren't expected to also go on public display after their marriage - work yes but not with a pack of photographers and a general public ready to criticise every move without her husband there to give support.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate strike's me as more level headed than Sarah. I'm sure she would do much better in that situation.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Commoner

I just was thinking that there seems to be quite a few excuses created over the years as to why they haven't at least got engaged yet. Now I am wondering when someone in the media will have a story as to them wanting to either put off the engagement because either the Queen and Prince Phillip are ill and that is why they put off an engagement or wedding. Or the opposite of let's hurry up and get married so both can be there. lol!
This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming on sea and continents and island, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls. -John Muir
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Gentry

If there is even a whiff of truth in the story that Charles met up with Kate and William at Christmas to discuss the timing of events and any announcment, then something must be happening this year, it stands to reason....at the very least the engagement. If it was all pencilled in for next year or beyond, why bother meeting about it now. I would also say behind the scenes these two have been privately engaged for quite a while. The "done deal" look has been on her face for quite a while.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Majesty

However, there doesn't seem any reason for this supposed meet. She stays at Charles' home in London when with William. They have been to Birkhall before with Charles and she has been to a number of other functions.

What I do see is the BRF doing things differently with this generation compared to the last where the boy/girl friend wasn't at a function in any form of official capacity until after the engagement was announced. With William, Harry and Peter (remember Autumn went on the Queen's 80th birthday cruise before the engagement) and are allowing the partners to join them on occasions with no necessity that there is an engagement in the works at all.

I see no difference in Kate's smug look. She has always had it.

Whether she and William ever marry is for them to decide of course but I am so sick of the same stories being trotted out on an annual basis - wait for the 'Valentine's Day' announcements starting next week and then Easter, William's birthday, Diana's birthday, the anniversary of Charles and Diana's wedding, their summer holiday, their autumn holiday, their spring holiday, Christmas, whatever other holiday they take during the year etc. etc. etc.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Royal Highness

Did William have any other girlfriends (serious or otherwise) before he met Kate?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Lets not forget that William is only 27 at the moment, and I am sure getting married is just not an urgent priority just yet. This is especially key in the context of the royal family, where the media spotlight will fall so firmly on them the moment the engagement is announced. Soon after the wedding, there will be strong pressure for them to have children quite soon, so if I was in William's shoes (and 27 years old), I too may prefer to put it off for another few years.

I don't think Prince Philip's 90th is going to prevent William marrying next year. As long as the celebrations are at least a few weeks apart, they can be married next year.

My view is that the wedding will either be later this year, after the elections (say August or September) or in summer 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Whether she and William ever marry is for them to decide of course but I am so sick of the same stories being trotted out on an annual basis - wait for the 'Valentine's Day' announcements starting next week and then Easter, William's birthday, Diana's birthday, the anniversary of Charles and Diana's wedding, their summer holiday, their autumn holiday, their spring holiday, Christmas, whatever other holiday they take during the year etc. etc. etc.
Quite right, its just a page filler for the tabloids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Did William have any other girlfriends (serious or otherwise) before he met Kate?
He was meant to have been seeing Jecca Craig, but it was never confirmed. At that age, he managed to keep his private life quite private.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Mentioning the Duke of York may actually be a very good reason for him not marrying while in the service.
Exactly, regarding Sarah & Andrew. It was mentioned as the main reason why their marriage failed.
IMO there is no way William will be engaged before his training finishes. He might even use it as an excuse not having to settle down soon. I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no way for William to get engaged, married etc and say, ok, me and my wife, we'll now do the normal army marriage life until 2014, expect to hear from us then. No way. As soon as he gets engaged, married etc, people expect to see him and his wife in full duty with starting a family as part of that. I am sure he's fully aware of that. Maybe he'll even finish his training and then say, ok, I need a few years to fully grasp my role by getting deeper involved with various organisations, what the PoW does etc.

There is no need to rush btw. In 2014, William will be 32, same age as Kate. Victoria of Sweden was around the same age when she decided to settle down. If Kate is still around then, still more than enough time to start a life together. And because William is male, the advantage is on his side, he can chose a wife and have kids at ANY time, be it in 2014 or even 2024, with or without Kate.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My view is that the wedding will either be later this year, after the elections (say August or September) or in summer 2011.

They will need about six months from annoucing the engagement until the wedding and with a general election looming the earliest an annoucement can take place is the day after the election is finalised (and even then, with a new PM possible it could be seen as the royals trying to overshadow the election result). If there is no change in government it could be the next day but with a change of government they will probably have to wait a month or so.

Say the election in 6th May (and there have been indications that that could be the date but no date has yet been announced) then the engagement could be announced in June meaning a December wedding.

The more I look at the timings the more I feel that an engagement or wedding won't be happening this year.

Another thing to remember is that there are two Swedish weddings to be given their publicity as well (yes I know that the Danes and Spaniads had them in consecutive weeks but that doesn't mean that the British are going to announce in the lead up to the Swedish wedding).

Now watch me wake up in the morning to find out that they have announced their engagement.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I too believe that it is more likely to have the wedding in 2011, but I think later is 2010 is still doable. If there is a stable government after the elections, the engagement could be announced in late May, followed by a wedding in August or September.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
He was meant to have been seeing Jecca Craig, but it was never confirmed. At that age, he managed to keep his private life quite private.
It's never been confirmed that Kate and William are dating.
Jecca and William were seen out quite often, but then Kate came back into the picture/came onto the scene and Jecca disappeared.

Yes William is 27 but we and the press have been talking about an engagement since he was 24/25? and we won't stop till he is.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I too believe that it is more likely to have the wedding in 2011, but I think later is 2010 is still doable. If there is a stable government after the elections, the engagement could be announced in late May, followed by a wedding in August or September.

With the sorts of people that have to be invited three months to organise it isn't sufficient.

Another point that might even have to be considered is that another of Her Majesty's realms is also due to have an election this year and could easily be in election mode come August or September - certainly by the end of the year and that is Australia. I am not saying that the royals would even care about that in announcing the date but they may take it into consideration.

In addition William will be doing his training until the end of the summer (or even later in the year) and interrupting the actual training part of the course is not something that most military forces like a person to do - either marry before starting the training course or wait until it is finished.

I don't see William wanting to marry unless he can be there all the way to oversee matters and to help whoever the girl is and that won't be until about 2013/2014.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Nobility

I think their love life is hidden. Within what is shared with the viewing World we have the idea that they are a loving couple. Although we can only make guesses at their fusion as one day married, the relationship has gone on throughout this millennium. In that respect one can assume their is a bond that seems not being encroached by lack of regard for one another. They remain a pair as has been noted by their public appearance most recently upon William receiving his wings from his father at the army's reception for completing his helicopter training.

To me they are two, and form quite a lovely and attractive couple. I can see the connection that unites theme and I, like you and the rest of us, can only estimate how and when they may seek each other's hand forever. The World will be happy for their love and they will live happily ever after. I think we regard them as such. Someday we are to find out. And maybe sooner than we think. I guess that is why we all keep showing here for Kate and Will's good luck. And I enjoy anticipating. It is history in the making. If you will.