The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't know why your comparing her to Diana, they are both very different people. Diana had a title Kate doesn't.
Diana recieved a lot of things because she had a title, it also may have been her downfall.
To answer your question, that resume wouldn't have impressed me for a future Princess. But Diana only had that resume because she had a title. You don't know what she would have been like without it.

It has always been said, I believe that Kate chose to go to St Andrews before Prince William went, she would have met the same people, if she were dating William or not. She came from a good background, and from a very prestigious college. Kate could have done fine without being with William, possible even better if she doesn't marry him.
The point I was trying to make is that DUE to Diana's title she wasn't scrutinized or deemed unworthy even though she lacked ambition for a stable career and was a poor student. I loved Diana, but if she hadn't married the Prince of Wales, I don't think her life would have been extraordinary in any way despite the advantages she had. And had she been anyone but Lady Diana Spencer, Prince Charles wouldn't have looked at her twice.

No doubt she would do fine without Prince William. however she
IS with him and has been for 7 years. That is a longer than many couples have before getting married. Obviously they must really love eachother or they wouldn't still be together. Would you rather see William married to someone who is titled but he doesn't really love?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

If Kate had not been one of the Prince William's roommates, would they have ever met when they were in college or University? This would probably depend on what classes they took and what they studied. I believe I'm correct on this. If I'm not, please correct me. I believe that they were destined to be together because of how things have worked out for them. Things seem to happen for a reason.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
If Kate had not been one of the Prince William's roommates, would they have ever met when they were in college or University? This would probably depend on what classes they took and what they studied. I believe I'm correct on this. If I'm not, please correct me. I believe that they were destined to be together because of how things have worked out for them. Things seem to happen for a reason.
They startd off in the same college and then, after becoming friends, joined with a few friends to share a house. I doubt if she would have been his flatmate if they weren't already friends. Even before that she had convinced him to stay at uni and finish his degree.

Timeline: Kate and William's royal romance | Mail Online
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
And had she been anyone but Lady Diana Spencer, Prince Charles wouldn't have looked at her twice.

No doubt she would do fine without Prince William. however she
IS with him and has been for 7 years. That is a longer than many couples have before getting married. Obviously they must really love eachother or they wouldn't still be together. Would you rather see William married to someone who is titled but he doesn't really love?
Diana wasn't scrutinized because no one probably dared bring up the resume of what would have been the future Queen. But now we're in a different age, and the press aren't afraid to take a bob at the royals.

Your first point, I don't think is true. There's is always a chance that they would have met. Obviously neither of us can no the real truth.

They've been together for 9 years.
And where did I bring in anything about a girl needing a title?
All I said is that Kate needs to show she is worthy to be the future Queen, because the country aren't going to reward her for her loyalty or that William loves her. I used to defend Kate when it came to the fact she hasn't done anything with her life since leaving uni, now I don't see the point because all she has done is follow William around for 9 years.
When Diana married Charles they got married so quickly, we've had nearly 10 years to watch Kate do nothing.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Let's not forget that his father met 'the one' at an early age and was told she wasn't good enough and look what happened when he found one that the people felt was right - disaster for both. William knows this and maybe believes that like his father he has 'the one' early but isn't going to let her go. It may still be disaster but at least it won't be because he was forced to give up his soulmate for some ideal of a princess who wasn't right for the real man who was the prince.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
we've had nearly 10 years to watch Kate do nothing.
That is not entirely true; Catherine graduated in 2005 from University.
So I wouldn't label those first 4 years at university as "hardly doing anything".
I don't think she got her academic degree just like that...
Old 11-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Aristocracy

we dont know if she is the one ....sometimes people come into others lives for a reason ...not neccesarily on the basis of them being the "one"
Old 11-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Diana wasn't scrutinized because no one probably dared bring up the resume of what would have been the future Queen. But now we're in a different age, and the press aren't afraid to take a bob at the royals.

Your first point, I don't think is true. There's is always a chance that they would have met. Obviously neither of us can no the real truth.

All I said is that Kate needs to show she is worthy to be the future Queen, because the country aren't going to reward her for her loyalty or that William loves her. I used to defend Kate when it came to the fact she hasn't done anything with her life since leaving uni, now I don't see the point because all she has done is follow William around for 9 years.
When Diana married Charles they got married so quickly, we've had nearly 10 years to watch Kate do nothing.

The country has no say in who there head of state is or who that person has as a consort. The Head of State is determined by birth and they chose their partner and the country has to accept that. They mightn't like it but the country, and the individuals in it, have no say. The only way that changes is to become a republic and elect the Head of State.

The only criteria William's Queen will need is to be his wife.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
^yes but they (the current crop of crown princes/princesses) didn't date ten years. they just met later in life.
as for someone else who said above, i agree that things just falling apart behind closed doors in a royal household are inevitable, imo.
Wow, how cynical you all sound. Yes most of the continental CP's did meet their wives later however, Victoria and Daniel put in the hard yards for 10 years. And let's face it, with the media and forums being what they are, William is under tremendous pressure to "get it right".

The intimation that behind closed doors all (royal) imarriages are falling apart is not only cynical but highly unlikely. If you have any "facts" to substantiate such an assertion I would love to hear them. As it is it seems that on these boards a lot of members view the various royal couples as contestants in a reality game and treat their lieves with the same kind of caring attitude most often see in Gordon Ramsey's kitchen!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Not true about the media not daring to bring anything up about Diana. The media went immediately after Diana as soon as they found out about their relationship. They dug everything up they could find, but there just wasn't much there because Diana hadn't done anything with her life up to that point. For the very things you constantly go after Kate for, Diana wasn't any different except she got married younger and only had a 6 month courtship. If Diana and Prince Charles had a long courtship, I really don't think it would have been any different since she WAS of noble birth and therefore it wasn't perceived that she should have a serious career. Kate is absolutely being held to a different standard.

My first point? You mean about Charles not giving Diana the time of day if she wasn't Lady Diana? But why would't that be true? He wasn't looking for love, since he was in love with Camilla. He needed to get married and was advised by "Uncle Dicky", his father and even Camilla on the type of woman he should consider. Diana fit that role since she was virginal, didn't have a past and had a impeccable pedigree. She may have encountered him, but virginal, untainted past or not, if she was Diana Jones of the Liverpool instead of Lady Diana Spencer, he would not have considered marrying her.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=cd_1]^yes but they (the current crop of crownrinces/princesses) didn't date ten years. [/quote ]

Crown princess Victora dated 10 before marring.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They startd off in the same college and then, after becoming friends, joined with a few friends to share a house. I doubt if she would have been his flatmate if they weren't already friends. Even before that she had convinced him to stay at uni and finish his degree.

Timeline: Kate and William's royal romance | Mail Online
Thank you for posting the timeline. I think that helps put things in perspective as to the history of their relationship.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Aristocracy

Will they be banished or something? I don't understand sometimes what is unwritten law or what is actual law that they can get in trouble for.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Courtier

Ok TLC program same,as always! Same pictures, same will they wont they, same Daina this and Diana that.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Ok TLC program same,as always! Same pictures, same will they wont they, same Daina this and Diana that.
I just watched the TLC program, too, and was very surprised how much Diana figured into a show about Kate and William's relationship. It was even suggested that William would propose to Kate with Diana's engagement ring. (unlikely IMO). Also, a nitpicky error, they referred to Sarah McCorquodale as Diana's aunt instead of her sister or even William's aunt. Well, they got me to watch anyway.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
I just watched the TLC program, too, and was very surprised how much Diana figured into a show about Kate and William's relationship. It was even suggested that William would propose to Kate with Diana's engagement ring. (unlikely IMO).
Extrememly unlikely - Harry took the ring and William her watch - any basic research will reveal that information.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
We've had nearly 10 years to watch Kate do nothing.
I don't think we have seen Kate doing anything - so how can we be sure that she did nothing or what she did in private was not worthy? Living at home where the family operates a business in my experience means that you have to help. Okay, it's not shaping a career for herself but still it's not being completely lazy. Carole Middleton for me does not appear to be a mother who allows her children to be idle when she needs help. And in any business additional help is needed.

I think what makes a lot of people uneasy is that Kate seems to live the life of a Royal mistress not that of a future wife. That may be a generation thing but when I think back of a biography of Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel and how this gifted woman was treated by her ducal lover and his friends back in the middle of the last century, then I feel where this disdain for a lifestyle like Kate's originates from. But my point is: we only know the outside, we are not privy to their views, plans and reasons to be together like that.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
hi, I'm new to the forums and this is one of my first posts, but I've been interested in the BRF for a long time.

I believe that William will marry Kate, but when? who knows till the engagement is made offcial. A lot of people wish they knew more about Kate but for me there is all known that needs to be known about her: she will be a very loyal wife to William and that's the most important thing. Other people , not only Royals, are never known completely to others, that's how it is. But with the Royals there is the need of the people to have a feeling that they know them and can trust them in order to accept them as "their" Royals. As this is impossible, people tend to watch the relationships of the Royals in order to guess if they are worthy of their peoples trust. Thus Diana was so dangerous: she betrayed the RF and showed herself to be most illoyal to her husband all in front of the public. Of course, she had her reasons for that (and I don't want to get into this discussion). But coming back to William and Kate: I'm sure William deeply loved his mother but as he grew up and realised who he is and how this shapes his life he must have understood that the most important thing for a future king is to command the loyality of his friends and environment. And how his mother's unwillingness to be loyal to her husband destroyed his father's image: how can the public trust a man whose own wife who is closest to him does not support and trust him? Camilla saved that image - she as the new wife has shown that Charles can be trusted and respected. So for me what William searched and found in Kate is a most loyal companion. And once they marry people will like Kate for this loyality, even though they won't know her and her William.
Kataryn, Welcome to TRF.

As you can see, this is a topic that gets a lot of people very impassioned. We welcome open and well thoght through debate on TRF, although as is probably apparent to you, not all of it is as intellectually robust as one may want it to.

I fully agree with your post, very well wrtitten.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Nobility

I had to laugh that tomrrow night my time, one of the news channels is doing this whole thing on William and Kaate and that the engadgment will be annouced any day now, I burst out laughing.... Don't get me wrong, think it will be good because it will be good to have it all out
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Kataryn, Welcome to TRF.

Thank you very much, Muriel, for your nice welcome. Well, I for one like William and Kate. William especially after his graduation as an SAR-pilot.

We had a TV-series here in Germany called "Die Rettungsflieger - The SAR-crew" about the professional and private life of a crew of army-SAR personell where in the final installment of course the charismatic and charming pilot-officer got the flying doctoress (who held a militarian rank as well) and flew out into the sunset with her... Oh, what a job to show characteristics of a hero: be part of a crew turned friends through shared duty and adventure, be a highly qualified professional, help saving lifes, be comforting to patients and crew members... Oh, what better modern role for a prnce like William who once would have been the knight in shining armour but nowadays is not allowed on the battlefield anymore. It's only sad that so many people don't realise that such a SAR-job can only come from personal merit, not inherited priviledge. And that William is a worthy member of society giving back as much as he can.

As for Kate: maybe it' because I have some friends who are army-wifes and I myself for a time in my love trotted after my husband when his career demanded his full attention and the only chance of having at least a bit of family life was to be there when he had time - which made my own work life a bit difficult but then with his income we could afford it and it wasn't forever. But I think this is what Kate does while trying to attract as less public resonance as possible so that she isn't again pressured by the media into an engagement that should come at their own timing.

My judgement (as far as I feel I have a right to judge) of Kate is completely open now, but of course "in dubio pro reo" - in case of doubts and there are many doubts I opt for the positive version about her doings. Once she is Princess William, we'll see and then we caqn try to form a personal judgement. But not now. At least that's how I see it.

Closed Thread