The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Gentry

I wonder if they have any influence at all in WHEN the election is called. Is it realistic at all to think that leanings from the right quarter to get the election over and done with by May would work. I think the date of this election will be a huge clue as to what's going on. The later the date, the less likelihood of the big event this year, though it wouldn't stop an engagement being announced.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It has to happen on or before the 3rd June 2010.
The palace will have no influence whatsoever over when it is.
Local elections have been confirmed for the 6th May.
I think the government has enough of its plate.
I doubt very very much they will announce an engagement until after this year, or after Williams military career.
I don't see why the date of the election would give us any indication as to whether William will get married or not.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Gentry

The Royal Family don't tend to be seen much when there is an election campain going on. I don't see why William's training should be an obstacle to his getting married. He isn't the only man to get married and have a career at the same time. I still think it is this year
Old 01-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

So in that case, an engagement announcement could be as early as June 4. Even though William will be training, he'll still have weekends off, and I believe that he'll have a few weeks vacation during the year. A wedding could work out for this year. I think that having Kate as primarily a military wife before launching her on full-time royal duties would be a good idea. She's have the opportunity to learn her job bit by bit and start her family while having an amount of protection from the intrustive media.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Majesty

If he is to marry while training I think it will be before he starts the next phase of training, but with no announcement and an election upcoming or more likely after the actual training phase.

However, I don't think Kate will get time to be a full-time military wife. I think she will be expected to be full-time from the get-go (unless she is pregnant immediately). The public simply won't accept her to continue as a 'work-shy' girl once she is married.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Gentry

Work-shy?
She has a job and always has had one since she left uni
Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Majesty

You did notice that I put 'work-shy' in inverted commas I suppose.
That was done for a reason - the British public are the ones who use that term not me.

As for her job/s since leaving uni that is also not a proven commodity as we really don't exactly know how much work she does for her parents and the only real job she has had outside that family was the part-time job with Jigsaw. It is for this reason that she has the title 'work-shy' among the people, certainly those that make comments in the press.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
They will get married this year
I'm so glad somebody also thinks 'it' could be this year
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Commoner

I think announcement will this summer after princess victoria's wedding. Then a summer 2011 wedding for prince william and kate
Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I think announcement will this summer after princess victoria's wedding. Then a summer 2011 wedding for prince william and kate

British royals tend to have much shorter engagements, so a summer announcement would be a winter wedding. That would allow Kate to have her first Christmas with the royal family this Christmas.

Next year I see a wedding before June 10th (by at least a month) or no announcement until after - why - because I think the Queen wants June 10th to be a real acknowledgement of Philip's contribution to the Crown on his 90th birthday and having a newly married or still engaged Kate their would overshadow but a Kate married for a month or more - or even better still on the honeymoon so as not to be there - would fit in nicely.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The royals must be seen to be separate from politics so having a wedding overshadow an election would allow for the royal family to actually become a fully political issue with the costs etc all being debated as part of the election.

2012 already has 2 big events with the Queen's Jubilee and a third might be overkill (particularly if they want people to visit from overseas for all three events). Some people may already have to choose between the Jubilee and the Olympics (I know I do and the Olympics have won). Had they been in separate years I would have gone to both.
I take your point on this, Iluvbertie - and how could I forget the Queen's Jubilee! Yes, three big events in one year would be too much. So my (hastily) revised view is that 2011 is a more likely year for an engagement and wedding.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
The Royal Family don't tend to be seen much when there is an election campain going on.
I never said they did, that would be completely wrong.
I said that the government had alot on there plate at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
British royals tend to have much shorter engagements, so a summer announcement would be a winter wedding. That would allow Kate to have her first Christmas with the royal family this Christmas.

Next year I see a wedding before June 10th (by at least a month) or no announcement until after - why - because I think the Queen wants June 10th to be a real acknowledgement of Philip's contribution to the Crown on his 90th birthday and having a newly married or still engaged Kate their would overshadow but a Kate married for a month or more - or even better still on the honeymoon so as not to be there - would fit in nicely.
That seems very logical. I didn't think of Phillips birthday. But any event celebrating the birthday, would have to include William and a married/engaged Kate.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Id like it to be soon!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Commoner

Am I the only one who thinks Wills won't have a wedding until 2013?

I see them wanting to establish Wills as his own man and a royal, and finish his military career BEFORE marriage. I think this will take about three years, enough for him to travel more and take on more engagements. Once he and Kate, or whomever he marries, are married he will be a full time royal. I see no indications that he will be a full time royal before 2013.

Also wasn't it just announced he will be beginning a three tour of duty for something? I do think he'll marry Kate (or I hope, they've been together so long) but I don't see it for another three years. Plus he'll be 30/31 then, a nice age to marry.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I do.
2014 I think, after the end of his military career.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I do.
2014 I think, after the end of his military career.
Do you think Kate will really wait that long?

And would the marriage last after such a long courtship? I wonder if such marriages could work after a couple spent so much time not being married.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
Do you think Kate will really wait that long?

And would the marriage last after such a long courtship? I wonder if such marriages could work after a couple spent so much time not being married.
Yes I think she would. I may not like Kate but who can blame the girl?

If you were with William and had to wait wouldn't you? All superficial things aside, wouldn't you wait for the man you loved, Prince or not? I think most of us would.

Woman should not attack Kate for what 99% would do whether that be wait around for a man who will one day be King or the man you love.

Kate, like most women, will wait.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yeah I think she'll wait, depending on the man I would.
Don't know about how the marriage will turn out.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Commoner

But I do find it troubling they've been together all their adult lives. I for one believe it important to live your life and date and be single. Secondly I don't believe in long courtships such as this one.

Wills and Kate are in a particularly difficult position because she's never not been with him. They've been together since University. As a woman once married you become a wife and eventual mother. You lose so much of yourself and have to sacrifice alot because of your family. Kate will also be a Princess, while trying to do what the average woman does.

Now on top of all that she's never really been without William in her adult life, never had such a serious relationship outside of him, will she eventually want for more? Does she work? Yes but a career, no. For the monarchy's sake I pray Kate will not live to regret 'waiting' so long and want for more down the road. I hope she is content with her life and being a royal and doesn't live to regret her decisions. Kate will never again be her own woman once she becomes a wife, mother, princess and eventual Queen.

Now of course Wills is in the same predicament but I feel that women tend to regret things not done more when becoming wives and mothers than men since it more of a life altering experience for them.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

I am not attacking her for waiting so long. I have nothing against Kate. It just that the waiting is so long, I wonder if its worth it.
Then again, I'm cynical when it comes to relationships. :)

Closed Thread