William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aww well maybe they'll be engaged by then? The whole fam could go: HM, Prince Phillip, Charles, Andrew, Edward, William and Harry, Camilla and Princess Anne. It's a nice thought but it won't happen.

OT: How does HM choose between her children to send to the weddings and why doesn't she go?

aww well maybe they'll be engaged by then? The whole fam could go: HM, Prince Phillip, Charles, Andrew, Edward, William and Harry, Camilla and Princess Anne. It's a nice thought but it won't happen.

OT: How does HM choose between her children to send to the weddings and why doesn't she go?

My guess is that the decision of who goes to an event of that nature is based on the level of "seniority" deemed appropriate, personal equations between members of the BRF and the family hosting the occassion, and diary compunctions. HM tends not to bother going to weddings of other royal families. Perhaps we might see Charles and Camilla at the Swedish wedding - they were not married at the time of the Danish wedding, so there is a possibility that they appear.

I doubt Her Majesty would send William or Harry to such an important wedding.
The Wessexes are the most likely choice, however I hope Charles and Camilla will represent the Queen.

The Today Show just ran a piece about William and Kate, the typical "will they/won't they and when will they?" piece. Meredith Vieira weighed in, stating that it was time for Kate to put her foot down. (Yikes, Meredith, she's still not funny.)

I think that William and Kate should give interview in TV. They could say that they don't plan to marry this year and press should leave them alone. I think it's really unfair for Kate so they should say something. If I were Kate, I would like to do sth, my hobby or whatever. People shouldn't think that she's bored and only wait on William.

Oh, I'm sure, they will never give an interview about their relationship :) And she will never say a word except he really makes a proposal.

I agree with all those here who said, its his first serious relationship and for that he hasn't to marry her. I wouldn't marry my first serious boyfriend, but thats a personal thing ;) I remember, Lord Mountbatten once told Prince Charles he should "sow one's wild oats first", what in his cause maybe didn't worked, but you know, what I mean ;) I'm sure, William knows this as well.

The thing is, that they are for such a long time a "couple" - what the press, the royal watchers and general public made wondering about if they will marry or not. But its my opinion as well - if Kate isn't happy with this situation and the compression through the press she can talk with him about a decision and if he don't want to marry her but she wants, then she can leave him anytime. But it doesn't seems a so that she's unhappy with this situation because I don't think she's that stupid to stay when theres no chance for her.

Maybe they just enjoy their time together as long as it works between them... William is still VERY young, theres no biological clock ticking :D

Let's stay on topic...this thread isn't about Crown Princess Victoria's wedding.

The Today Show just ran a piece about William and Kate, the typical "will they/won't they and when will they?" piece. Meredith Vieira weighed in, stating that it was time for Kate to put her foot down. (Yikes, Meredith, she's still not funny.)
Why do they have her report on the Royals at all (and William in particular) ? Remember when she interviewed PA and asked about his fantasies? You'd think they would have somebody with a little more decorum. She is NOT the one to be giving advice to a future PssoW.:nonono:

The report on The Today Show was by one of the correspondents that NBC usually has comment on British news... Meredith was just giving her opinion (which she could have just kept to herself IMO). There really wasn't any new news in it, just a re-hash of everything we've talked about forever.

NBC usually goes to Tina Brown about royal talk, I guess she wasn't available...she seems a bit more "in the know."

I was away for a while...has anyone heard the bit Kate did for an interview? it was on youtube... I have to get up to date ... no internet for 10 days lol

Yes, I saw Kate on youtube. It's hard to hear her IMO.

Oh, that is a shame we have not heard her speak and now i will have to go home and take a look for myself ....can't get youtube at work ....

:previous: :):flowers: Well, I was going to put up a link to the Daily Mail article that had the video of Kate Middleton talking - but when I went there and put it in the search engine, up popped a timeline by the Daily Mail of Wills and Kates relationship - so I'll throw up that link, too.

Timeline: Kate and William's royal romance | Mail Online

Here's a link to to ( I think ) the NBC interview about Wills and Kate that they were talking about upthread - it's on HULU if it doesn't come up right.

Hulu - NBC TODAY Show: Will Prince William Pop the Question?

Here's the link to the article in the Daily Mail about Kate Middleton talking - I can't tell if the video link is still up there or not.

Ever wondered what she sounds like? Kate Middleton speaks publicly for the first time | Mail Online

You really didn't miss much. I too, found it very difficult to understand the few words that Kate had to say. I wish that she had said more as I would like to have heard her speak as well.

The video is still posted at the Mail Online here, at the bottom of the article, and when I checked a few moments ago, it still worked.

I just don't buy into the idea that all she can do now is be a "royal mistress"....that sounds so old school, I think it's so dismissive to say this makes her damaged goods. It's like "oh look the middle class girl lived up to her rep!" Chelsy Davy was considered upper class and had the money to prove it, but her father's connections would give me more pause than this.

I have never heard Chelsy Davy described as upper class but I have heard her praised for being persistent in University studies and taking on an apprenticeship which means although she is from a very rich family she likes her independence, unfortunately her father´s connections would inevitably work against her even if she were to marry the less important brother, Harry.
If Kate is described as being middle class (in the British meaning of the word) then her family has just reached it. As to the very unpleasant "damaged goods" description, well many girls from much better established families have had this description tagged on them.
Times have changed and perhaps this won´t matter, but personally I have my doubts.

I was disapointed it was only 11 sec long and 6sec was the man asking the questions.... but at least she sounded like she had a nice voice not to high lol.......

I don't expect a wedding (actually never did, even without Uncle Gary video.)

I think they will too, I just think it would be an epic PR disaster if nothing happened at this point..regardless of this recent revelation.

Poor Kate. I guess it will never stop until she and William finally announce their engagement. Good for her though for not lashing out towards what's been written about her and the family.

If they don't get married, IMO, it won't be because of this Uncle Gary story.

I agree with this. If William breaks up with her it will be because he has simply decided he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life with her and he has every right to make that decision.

I think they will too, I just think it would be an epic PR disaster if nothing happened at this point..

It is not going to be an "epic PR disaster" if he breaks up with his girlfriend. Let's not be melodramatic. :rolleyes:
This is what I meant in my other post about people using the longevity of their relationship to say that he "has" to marry her.

They both have the right to make decisions like that. Kate could just as easily decide that she doesn't want to marry William.

(I'm not trying to argue with you about anything, rchat -- I just don't like when people frame relationships as if they're controlled unilaterally by one person.)

Regardless, I think they've proven that they're committed to a relationship. Whether that leads to marriage, we'll have to see. I think it will.

They both have the right to make decisions like that. Kate could just as easily decide that she doesn't want to marry William.
(I'm not trying to argue with you about anything, rchat -- I just don't like when people frame relationships as if they're controlled unilaterally by one person.)

Absolutely she could. It's just that most people are implying about William breaking up with her so that's why I said it that way. :flowers:

Regardless, I think they've proven that they're committed to a relationship. Whether that leads to marriage, we'll have to see. I think it will.

I am not trying to argue with you Ella either BUT what people seem to forget quite often on this thread is that it is the royal who calls the tunes. When the then Princess Elizabeth got engaged it was said that as royal protocol requires, that it was SHE that asked HIM to get married. It is very hard for these ancient customs to be understood out of Britain but so far there is no sign of all these being left behind for the sake of modernism. Wasn´t the DOC´s great grandmother who said something along the lines of "call him sir and jump into bed" when talking about Edward VII.
The quaint old customs of Britain are a bit hard for non Britons to understand, no one can leave a party until the royal does, people talking to the Queen are limited to answering her. It is all so complicated but still in use even though no doubt it will change, and has started to change, but I just feel that Kate has taken on something that will have an unhappy ending for her, but as you say, we´ll see. :flowers:

The quaint old customs of Britain are a bit hard for non Britons to understand, no one can leave a party until the royal does, people talking to the Queen are limited to answering her. It is all so complicated but still in use even though no doubt it will change, and has started to change, but I just feel that Kate has taken on something that will have an unhappy ending for her, but as you say, we´ll see. :flowers:

Its just that every culture has certain norms to follow, and most "foreigners" understand the differences. For example, the concept of not leaving a gathering until the senior most has left is prevalent in a number of cultures, including the armed forces.

It is not going to be an "epic PR disaster" if he breaks up with his girlfriend. Let's not be melodramatic. :rolleyes:
This is what I meant in my other post about people using the longevity of their relationship to say that he "has" to marry her.

It definitely would, he would be seen as a major cad...he doesn't have to marry her at all, but dumping her now would be seen in a not so great light, especially when he could've ended it long ago.

I am not trying to argue with you Ella either BUT what people seem to forget quite often on this thread is that it is the royal who calls the tunes. When the then Princess Elizabeth got engaged it was said that as royal protocol requires, that it was SHE that asked HIM to get married. It is very hard for these ancient customs to be understood out of Britain but so far there is no sign of all these being left behind for the sake of modernism. Wasn´t the DOC´s great grandmother who said something along the lines of "call him sir and jump into bed" when talking about Edward VII.

I don't dispute that it's the royal who essentially has to propose marriage -- it's a big deal asking someone to join the royal family. But up until that point, I fully believe that Kate or anyone else dating a member of a royal family has equal rights to decide to continue or end a relationship. In fact, I think Kate was reportedly the one who called it off last time. That's what I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom