The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
King William V, It has such a nice ring to it, doesnt it?

(side note: Wouldnt Willem-Alexander be king around the same time too?, wonder what his number would be?....)
It depends. Willem might be King before William.
He would be King Willem-Alexander, or he could be King William IV, 3 of his ancestors chose King William instead of King Willem.

To be honest I don't think that William has a serious hereditary defect, and I doubt Kate does. However I do think the tests are neccesary, they need to check if Kate can have or bear children.

A regency has it's ups and downs, but I think as iluvbertie says the monarchy would try to avoid one. It would damage the monarchy, in quite a few ways. Things could go wrong with that regency.

Seeing as the tour thread is closed.
KATIE NICHOLL: Prince William won¿t be disappointing birthday girl Kate Middleton this time | Mail Online

He organised a state event around his girlfriend, somehow hard to believe.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Courtier

I find it hard to believe in as well. But then, it's a Katie Nicholl article - it's not supposed to be reliable, is it?

Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Not to mention that William didn't miss Kate's birthday last year -- and I believe it was the Mail that published the photos of his car outside the Middleton house on the day!

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

Katie Nicholl is hilarious. SHE was the one who wrote that article with pictures of William driving out of the Middleton home after an overnight birthday stay this January.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Aristocracy

I have been musing and find it is quite interesting to compare William's position to those of other heirs to thrones and the ages at which they became engaged/got married!

Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant - 39 years old
Felipe, Prince of Austurias - 36 years old
Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark - 35 years old
Willem-Alexander, Crown Prince of the Netherlands - almost 35 years old
Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan - 33 years old
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden - Was 31 years old at the time of her engagement being announced.
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway - 28 years old.
Hereditary Prince Alois of Lichtenstein - 25 years old.

Prince William is in a slightly different position to the above as he is not the immediate heir apparent but is presently second in line.....and thus the pressure on him to marry is not immediately necessary nor pressing IMHO!

It is interesting to note that the heirs apparent listed above with the exceptions of Crown Prince Haakon and Hereditary Prince Alois waited until they were in their thirties before settling down! Then again, look at Prince Albert II of Monaco.......goodness could you imagine Prince William following his example in being so acutely altar-shy??!!!!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Courtier

Don't forget William's own father, 32 when he tied the knot......
Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the general trend is that people in the UK get married at a younger age compared to the continent. But I really dont see William marrying into his 30's. There really isnt a pressing need for him to settle down and produce heirs at the mo.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

And don't forget that Prince William is the heir to the heir. He's like Prince Chrisitian of Denmark.
I could imagine him being a Prince Albert type because i don't see why he should get married, the monarchy is secure for now, theres a present heir Charles and he has an heir William.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
That's interesting, I wonder if any of them have gone on the record about having fertility issues. I mean the sad thing is, none of them could ever adopt, right?
Fertility issues is hardly the sort of thing I would expect any of the European princesses to be discussing publicly.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator

An American morning show, Today, did a 2 minute snippet regarding William and Kate getting engaged. And you know what it told me NOTHING! NOTHING that I hadn't read on this board.

They talked about the usual: how long they have dated, all the royal experts agree that when broke up and got back together it was for good, the year (2012), and how busy a year it will be: his RAF training, the London Olympics and the Queen's Jubilee. They also mentioned the length of an engagement but nothing hard...they said it could be from two to six months. When its announced, all the plans would have been set.

Again, this is getting rather tiresome. I am rather angry at myself that I took the time to watch it.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
That's interesting, I wonder if any of them have gone on the record about having fertility issues. I mean the sad thing is, none of them could ever adopt, right?
It doesn't look like the european princess have had fertility issues, but of course i doubt the Norwegian or Danish royal houses would announce that Mary or MM conceived via IVF.
They could adopt if they wished, but those children would never be in line for the throne.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Most of the European Crown Princesses had their first children relatively shortly after their marriages, so I think that excludes fertility treatments; I doubt IVF would have been considered unless there were signs conceiving naturally would be difficult or impossible, and that could take years.

I frankly don't see Kate's fertility as a major issue, even if they do wait for a couple of years before marrying: Kate is almost 28 now and even in 5 years time, she’d be only 33 – hardly an age when fertility is a huge issue in our days.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I could imagine him being a Prince Albert type because i don't see why he should get married, the monarchy is secure for now, theres a present heir Charles and he has an heir William.
Albert has two children out of wedlock with accidental women and from probably 5 years dating with the same girl, Charlene who is 30 or 31. Monaco wait for wedding, wait and will be waiting... If you compare him with William, you will see that William is smart, responsible guy. If not the fact that he's dating Kate very long, and brits tabloids are noisy and irritable there will be not pressure. Before 30 birthday nobody should tease him, why he doesn't married yet!

I suppose that if not RAF stuff and being royal he could be married now but he knows that marriage means new responsibilities and duties for him and Kate. Why nobody say that they want lead such cheerful, carefree life for some years yet and they don't be in hurry and Kate maybe isn't desperate to be royal at all.

I like Peter and Autumn the most, anyway. They're still hasn't kids, not in hurry at all. Lucky people :)
Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace marie View Post
Albert has two children out of wedlock with accidental women and from probably 5 years dating with the same girl, Charlene who is 30 or 31.
Are you saying that Albert has had children with Charlene?

Quote:
Monaco wait for wedding, wait and will be waiting... If you compare him with William, you will see that William is smart, responsible guy. If not the fact that he's dating Kate very long, and brits tabloids are noisy and irritable there will be not pressure. Before 30 birthday nobody should tease him, why he doesn't married yet!
All tabloids are irritable and noisy, they have the right to be. Why before his 30th birthday? I would hardly call it teasing? We have the right to ask when the heir to the heir is going to get married.

Quote:
I suppose that if not RAF stuff and being royal he could be married now but he knows that marriage means new responsibilities and duties for him and Kate. Why nobody say that they want lead such cheerful, carefree life for some years yet and they don't be in hurry and Kate maybe isn't desperate to be royal at all.

I like Peter and Autumn the most, anyway. They're still hasn't kids, not in hurry at all. Lucky people :)
Just being royal stops him from getting married at this age? I think being royal makes it more likely that he should be married young, the RAF would still accept him married, he could get married whilst in the RAF but has chosen not to.
They have led a carefree cheerful life for 8 years, an engagement at least would be nice.
Peter and Autumn don't have the burden of being Prince Charles' son.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Majesty

Had William and Kate been seeing each other in their parents' generation, I think that they'd have been married a few years ago. Today, when people are in love, they act as though they're married but without making the commitment at the altar until they're good and ready. William and Kate probably stay together on the weekends, which isn't too different from commuter marriages. They have the benefits of married life while still retaining their privacy and no pressure to have children. I'm an old-fashioned person and don't like this trend; but it's the way it is these days and William and Harry want to be "normal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Just being royal stops him from getting married at this age? I think being royal makes it more likely that he should be married young, the RAF would still accept him married, he could get married whilst in the RAF but has chosen not to.
They have led a carefree cheerful life for 8 years, an engagement at least would be nice.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
An American morning show, Today, did a 2 minute snippet regarding William and Kate getting engaged. And you know what it told me NOTHING! NOTHING that I hadn't read on this board.

They talked about the usual: how long they have dated, all the royal experts agree that when broke up and got back together it was for good, the year (2012), and how busy a year it will be: his RAF training, the London Olympics and the Queen's Jubilee. They also mentioned the length of an engagement but nothing hard...they said it could be from two to six months. When its announced, all the plans would have been set.

Again, this is getting rather tiresome. I am rather angry at myself that I took the time to watch it.
Same here Zonk. FYI....the Today Show recycles that same tired segment every 6 mos or so...do yourself a favor and DO NOT fall for it next time!

Wait till ALL the networks have something to say, and then it's safe to assume it's legit.

I find it odd that none of the media talks to the man in the street about how they feel about KM as a possible consort to PW...from some of the letters to the editors of the Brit papers it appears that Miss Middleton and her family are pretty controversial. People seem very far from being in agreement about her.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Courtier

I read an article in one of the British newspapers about Kate wearing a brand new diamond ring that William had supposedly given her. Not on the ring finger though. Has any one else read this article?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton's night out and exclusive Princess Anne interview only in HELLO! - hellomagazine.com (23/11/2009).
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
I find it all very elitist and intrusive. If Kate is infertile then the throne should pass from William to Prince Andrew or his eldest daughter. I dread the thought of Kate being subjected to humiliating and invasive tests all for the sake of determining she could produce an heir from William's body.

OOps I forgot about Prince Harry.
Actually, that isn't correct. If the unlikely event that William's wife can't produce an heir, Price Harry (or his heirs) is next in the line of succession. Prince Andrew is currently 4th in line, and will only get pushed further down once William and Harry have children.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
I find it odd that none of the media talks to the man in the street about how they feel about KM as a possible consort to PW...from some of the letters to the editors of the Brit papers it appears that Miss Middleton and her family are pretty controversial. People seem very far from being in agreement about her.
Don't say that! We can't have Wills and Kate breaking up due to public pressure and then have an even longer wait till he finds someone else and then we get the big royal weding we all want!

Closed Thread